Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Firearms law question

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2010, 10:25 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live on a farm and the farm next door has a right of way in it along the riverbank.

Between the path and the river is a shoot that he lets out for pheasant shooting.

It is used regularly for a shoot so I cannot see that the presence of a public right of way means that a legally owned shotgun cannot be discharged. Indeed they are discharging them all the time on shooting days.
Old 09 October 2010, 10:44 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Shooting and Rights of Way?

There is other useful info on that site as well

mb
Old 09 October 2010, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Rabbits and pheasants are good to eat and foxes will kill chickens just for the hell of it even if they don't want to eat them.

Maybe that is why he wants to shoot them.

Les
Old 09 October 2010, 11:35 AM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

It is not illegal to use a firearm near a footpath

The shotgun was broken so you clearly knew it posed no danger in its current state. Well done to the shooter for carrying his gun in such a way that you knew it was safe!!! You were also not in the field (HIS FIELD???) when he started shooting again.

In one sentence you say he doesn't keep animals then you say he is shooting pheasants. What the hell are pheasants if they are not a farmed animal? He will be controlling foxes as they will take the pheasants which he is selling (all be it in the form of sport but it is still a product for him).

Riding a horse on a footpath is illegal, I will give you that one.

Live and let live and stop being such a petty tw@t. You assume someone is breaking the law when you do not even understand it.
Old 09 October 2010, 11:50 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I don't think you have a leg to stand on mate. They are not obstucting the highway or endangering your safety. They must give you and other users of the public highway the right of way and ensure you are 'out of the area' before they continue shooting. You will be very hard pushed to get any action brought agaist them, especially as it sounds like a mainly rural area. Live and let live.
Old 09 October 2010, 12:35 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Having talked about it this morning with others apparently this farm has been causing loads of trouble recently.
Then you should all make seperate complaints to the same authority(ies) as they will not be able to ignore multiple compliants. At the very least, the authorities should have a word with the farmer. Try speaking to the local residents commity etc, be carefull though, his wife or other relation may be on it to.

Oh and the funny bit i forgot to mention about the bloke shooting, whilst he was stalking about in the trees next to me his mobile phone went off at full volume scaring off anything in the vicinity anyway, it even made him jump - what a tool
Yeah, sounds a total tool . Try taking a loud dog whistle or a football rattle and make plenty of noise, a little bush beating, a one man hunt saboteur if you like. No game=no guns! And i don't think there is a thing he can do about that as long as you do not trespass.
Old 09 October 2010, 12:35 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

When our next door neighbour first moved out here he went around to the local farmer and complained that he was driving his tractor on a Sunday and that he had moved to the country for some peace and quiet!!!

The farmer then moved a 'banger' as close as possible to their house behind his hedge (about 20m) and set the time to start going off at 5am every morning

Bluddy townies!
Old 09 October 2010, 12:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

When our next door neighbour first moved out here he went around to the local farmer and complained that he was driving his tractor on a Sunday and that he had moved to the country for some peace and quiet!!!

The farmer then moved a 'banger' as close as possible to their house behind his hedge (about 20m) and set the time to start going off at 5am every morning

Bluddy townies!
Old 09 October 2010, 12:38 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Bluddy townies!
Old 09 October 2010, 12:53 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

You must be one of those fox hunting cvnts The pheasants aren't farmed, they are a wild bird. If they are farmed he does a bad job of the couple that exist

You've admitted they are breaking the law regarding the horse riding on a public footpath and then say I don't understand the law.

They are only permitted to discharge a firearm a certain distance away from the public footpath so they can not just go shooting where ever they please.

right i'm going to jump in here mate, i am an avid hunter and being called a cvnt by an ignorant person like you does get my back up very quickly. the footpath may be on his land but that does not mean that hounds and horses cannot go near them, its still his land and the people who cross it have to adhere to it otherwise he wouldn't be able to put animals in his field would he. you can shoot on footpaths but the shot has to be fired away from the footpath and if you say your dog was running around in his field maybe you should realise that your dog should have been on a lead. you do realise if your dog is more than 10 feet away from you and is seen to be disturbing livestock it can be shot by the farmer.

your point about pheasants is also wrong, they are a farmed bird that was brought to this country a couple of hundred years ago for shooting and stocks are reintroduced each year to a shoot.

if you dont like the way the countryside works please feel free to move back to any town or city as its only in the recent years that there has been any problems as people think its there right to move to the country and tell all us bumpkins what to do as you have a moral standing over us.

now
Old 09 October 2010, 01:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

Bluddy townies!
Country people get fed up with townies moving into their locality and then telling them how to run it! Especially the holiday home buyers.

Les
Old 09 October 2010, 01:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well decided to go for a drive down the lanes in my 4x4 to see over the hedges and low and behold I came a cross a pack of unsupervised blood hounds charging along a single lane road which is a steep hill and blind bends on it. No supervision of the dogs at all and I could easily of hit them/flattened them (was tempting as would have involved the police then). They then turned left onto the public footpath I walk my dog on where I saw a bloke in his late 60s on a motocross bike. I shouted out to him are these your dogs and he reluctantly looked at me and replies yeah maybe. I then shouted I didn't think it was legal to hunt along public footpaths and he just turned away.

Had I been walking my dog at that time i'd have been extremely unhappy to have that lot charging at me. Even worse is the number of elderly who walk their dogs along there. These dogs were barking and growling as in a state of excited aggressiveness. It's ******* bang out of order.
Can't think why you seem to be complaining about the elderly walking their dogs along the path though.

Les
Old 09 October 2010, 01:24 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

firstly I never let my dog off the lead so a mute point there

As for the pheasant's like I say they are a wild bird around here, most definitely not farmed with any game keeper etc. They are few and far between and the comment about shooting pheasants was a case of bumpkin numpty seemingly to be out shooting anything that happened to be moving in the field, mainly rabbits.

It's pure fruit farming here and the last time I looked, foxes and pheasants etc did not pose a threat to apples on a tree

I disagree on your point about the footpath. It is a public footpath therefore the public are not to be put at risk by the farmer running a pack of hounds at them or several horses galloping down a non bridleway. You do know that's why bridleways exist don't you? Because it is illegal to ride a horse on a public footpath just the same as it would be if you were to ride a motorcycle along one, which old git bumpkin also seems to think is OK.

And for clarity I do maintain those who participate in a cruel and barbaric act as fox hunting are cvnts, no offense meant of course
can i just ask is the footpath in a field or in the woods, if its in an open field then i can't see your arguement of hounds and horses galloping at you as we're not all ***** you know, we will get out of your way.

no offense taken mate hope you enjoy your lentil soup and water for tea tonight mate.
Old 09 October 2010, 01:26 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

And for clarity I do maintain those who participate in a cruel and barbaric act as fox hunting are cvnts, no offense meant of course
Just for clarification, are you refering to those who shoot foxes or hunt them with dogs(which is against the law already)
cheers richie
Old 09 October 2010, 01:31 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

sorry forgot to say as richieh has just said, hunting is banned and we now drag trails of scent to follow with my local hunt.
Old 09 October 2010, 02:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Don't know why anyone would want to hunt/shoot close to a well used public area anyway, i can't think of a more dis-harmonious situation. Guns+jo public= unhappy shooters and unhappy public, at the very best! We use to walk miles to be 'out of the way' of joe public and have the country side to ourselves.

Respect is due to and from both sides in these situations, bumkins and townies alike. As an ex-shooter, BASC member and local wildfowler i have seen both sides. There is always a compromise to be made, it is those that are 'stuck in the mud' that cannot accept these facts.
Old 09 October 2010, 03:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
you do realise if your dog is more than 10 feet away from you and is seen to be disturbing livestock it can be shot by the farmer.

He could shoot the dog, but then he would go straight to jail.

Anyway, Bravo, he can shoot from the footpath in most cases, firing near roads is the big no no.

In Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 it states..
It is an offence without lawful authority or excuse to light a fire, or discharge any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of any highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway, and if in consequence any user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered that person is liable to a fine.

Quick Reply: Firearms law question