Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The battle of the pads continues.

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2010, 11:02 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The battle of the pads continues.

Ok we knew the Galaxy was comingbut it officially hits the high street on1st Nov. Still no prices though, grrr.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...-news-1970.php

Definatly interested in giving one of these a whirl.
Old 02 October 2010, 08:34 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks tiny though, sitting in a womans hand! Wouldn't want anything smaller than my iPad.

I'd happily swap the iPad for the blackberry one if the screen is as slick as the ipads and they get a similar app store. Sadly I can only imagine picking one up and the screen being crap like every other touch screen phone compared to the iPhone.

There's a couple of things about the iPad the are really annoying, one is the finite amount of cache on the Internet browser (dumps you back to home screen) and lack of flash obviously.

I'm not some gadget geek so what is the score with apple not using flash anyway?
Old 02 October 2010, 08:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Looks tiny though, sitting in a womans hand! Wouldn't want anything smaller than my iPad.

I'd happily swap the iPad for the blackberry one if the screen is as slick as the ipads and they get a similar app store. Sadly I can only imagine picking one up and the screen being crap like every other touch screen phone compared to the iPhone.

There's a couple of things about the iPad the are really annoying, one is the finite amount of cache on the Internet browser (dumps you back to home screen) and lack of flash obviously.

I'm not some gadget geek so what is the score with apple not using flash anyway?
If the galaxy pad is too small for you, the Blackberry one would disappoint too, being very similar in size. Which to me is actually part of the appeal.

Apple feel there are too many issues, security and stability to allow the use of Flash on some devices.
I discovered another annoyance today trying to book parking online, the pad was not very happy with using verisign so just hung the page. Not the first time either

I think you would be surprised at how the screens are improving these days, slowly but surely they are getting better and better. iPad is fine for some things, useless at others. More than willing to see what the competition can offer now.
Old 02 October 2010, 08:56 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I the only one that thought this was going to be about break pads?
Old 02 October 2010, 09:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

no - I thought is might be about female hygiene products
Old 02 October 2010, 09:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

still . just as fvcking ghey
Old 02 October 2010, 09:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Haha I can see the connections on the latter.

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2010, 09:33 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richy P1984
Am I the only one that thought this was going to be about break pads?
WTF are break pads
Old 02 October 2010, 09:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
WTF are break pads
They are the ones you take on holiday
Old 03 October 2010, 05:47 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Flash is dying, no point supporting it. Most video sites are now available in HTML 5 so work on all devices - even ****. 90% of Flash on Websites is advertising, this page has two big lumps of Flash that I don't see as my browser doesn't support it. Games are another argument but there's no shortage of games in the App store. Quite simply it's redundant technology and the sooner it's gone the better.

Tablets like the Galaxy and the non existent Playbook will pick up scraps but never have true success, the biggest downside of this will be lack of support for the people that do waste their money.
Old 03 October 2010, 09:15 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

This thread....

Old 27 November 2010, 05:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Just thought I'd bump this due to my comment about the cache on the iPad dumping you from the Internet browser.

I did the new update the other day and they seem to have resolved this. Previously when viewing a project car type of thread (with dozens of pics on a page) the iPad would dump you back to the home screen when it's cache was full. You'd have to go back onto the browser and it'd load up again, very frustrating as it'd happen a lot. I googled it and found out about e limited cache problem and other people having this problem. It was the only thing about it that really bugged me as I loved trawling through car projects online (and dozing off in bed doing so lol)

Since updating I've been on it all afternoon and it hasn't happened once now. I was viewing a few superb project threads for nearly 3 hours and viewed hundreds and hundreds of pics and it is now cured of this annoyance it would seem.

Superb!
Old 28 November 2010, 02:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Definatly a few little improvements from the updates.
Also nice to have first had experienced Apple hype. Having heard about the release of 4.2 and seeing the excitement of the build up, it was a bit of a wet fart in the end, but nice to see improvements all the same.

Speaking of pads Blackberry Playbook prices released with the 8gb model starting at $400, which sounds good to me.
Old 28 November 2010, 05:22 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a quick play with a Galaxy yesterday. Didn't impress me as much as the iPad did when I first picked one up. Felt a bit small to me, much more like an overgrown phone rather than a tablet. But maybe that's because I'm used to the iPad now.

Didn't play with it long so don't know what it's really like as a comparison to the iPad.
Old 28 November 2010, 05:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

A friend said similar the other day. But not being a user or liker of touchscreen phones a tablet is as small as practical gets for me.
The iPad stays at home, but the playbook and galaxy tab look like the will fit in a large jean pocket.
Keen to get my mittens on a Playbook when they are out, price is attractive too. Seems the really do listen to market research.
Will be interesting to see what the iPad2 brings to the table, as the will be out around the same time.