Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Silent calls fine comes into force

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2010, 06:19 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent calls fine comes into force

A new power to fine companies up to £2 million for using predictive dialling systems to harass their customers will start being enforced from tomorrow.
By Jennifer Scott, 24 Sep 2010 at 10:59

Call centres using predictive dialling systems to contact customers could face fines of up to £2 million as of tomorrow, thanks to new Government legislation.
The silent or abandoned calls consumers often get from companies were already considered a problem and fines of up to £50,000 could be imposed.
However, the new Government has upped this limit by 40 times to drive the message home to businesses using this tactic.
Ed Vaizey, minister for communications, said: “Silent calls are incredibly unnerving, particularly for the elderly and those who live alone.”
“Government will not stand by and let firms plague consumers without consequence which is why we have made the maximum penalty for silent calls 40 times larger to reflect the seriousness of the issue.”
The move has received the support of Ofcom, which will be responsible for enforcing the fines and trying to discourage companies resorting to such methods.
Ed Richards, chief executive (CEO) of the regulator, said: “The increase reflects the potential seriousness of the harm caused to consumers by the unsolicited and intrusive nature of silent and abandoned calls and enables Ofcom to regulate these activities more effectively.”
http://www.itpro.co.uk/627172/silent...11162aa09ec835

Long over due.
Old 28 September 2010, 06:22 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

1471. "You were called by zero, zero, zero, zero, zero ..."
Old 28 September 2010, 07:22 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I don't get many, but a few less will be none .

Can only be a good thing .
Old 28 September 2010, 09:57 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Great news. We subscribe to TPS but some still get through!!
I'd love to know how though as we are ex directory
Old 28 September 2010, 10:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lee247
Great news. We subscribe to TPS but some still get through!!
I'd love to know how though as we are ex directory
They dial random numbers and don't give a shoite..
Old 28 September 2010, 10:03 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

And it wont be enforceable to company's who call from outside the UK

And guess where most of the calls originate from

outside of the UK

Mart

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2010, 10:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Silent calls fine comes into force
Stephen Hawkin is in trouble then....
Old 28 September 2010, 10:08 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by mart360
And it wont be enforceable to company's who call from outside the UK

And guess where most of the calls originate from

outside of the UK

Mart
As soon as I hear a foreign voice, I put the phone down

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Old 28 September 2010, 10:13 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do

Old 28 September 2010, 10:41 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I operate a strict policy of never answering the house phone. With two women in the house, it's never for me anyway And never answering unidentified calls to my mobile

This way, I've not spoken to a foreigner for over a year
Old 28 September 2010, 10:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee247
As soon as I hear a foreign voice, I put the phone down

Don't laugh ... it could have be this Italian ringin' for a huggin' ...

http://www.davidmandrack.com/images/...20a%20stud.jpg
Old 28 September 2010, 10:58 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by pslewis
Don't laugh ... it could have be this Italian ringin' for a huggin' ...

http://www.davidmandrack.com/images/...20a%20stud.jpg
Naaaa, not a patch of Noah Mills

I detest silent calls almost as much as foreign call centre workers. Not wanting to offend anyone, but why on earth would I want to discuss anything financial or offers with someone I cannot understand
Old 28 September 2010, 11:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Theyre probably doing their level best ,

Its the clean faced debt relief , ablulance chasers, 'from' this country that **** me right off
Old 29 September 2010, 10:04 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I kinda work in this area (on a technical side rather than compliance).

Most UK companies are concerned about silent calls and do actively try to prevent it. But they also openly admit to running their call centre's at full tilt, so they will dial more calls than they have agents on seats to answer. It's the same as the airlines/plane seats trick. They know that some calls will end up as number unobtainable, no answer or answer machine. So they try to monitor the failure rate and plan accordingly. But it doesn't always happen and occasionally you'll get silent calls. It's obviously more efficient having your agents making money than talking to an answer machine or a busy tone.

Another issue is that their IT/telephone systems may need some processing time after the call is answered (for example routing the call to an agent with the right skills to talk to you and also to display your account on the agents screen). That is a complex process and if it fails sometimes the dialer doesn't know what to do with the call. A well designed call centre should deal with this, but you can see where costs can be cut (reduce the error handling functions).

I believe that the spec's say that a UK company must give out a dialable CLI that a caller can call back to. You are within your rights to dial back (or even if you talk to an agent first time) and request you are removed from the dialer list.

Also the rules state a UK based company, even if they used off shore dialers, must abide by the rules in the UK. I know of some banks that use offshoring, but essentially they dial back through their internal telephony network and only break out in the UK. Of course that won't stop companies with absolutely no UK presence.

The UK has some of the most strict rules for dialers globally. It's a lot worse for the rest of the EU and US where the rules are a lot looser.

I believe some of the new rules include a feature that allow for a "no agents available" scenario, whereby they can route to an automated message that states who the caller is and why they are calling. Not much better I suppose, but at least it's not a silent call.

I'm on TPS and ex directory, but I think there are some get out clauses that say completely random dialing is allowed (ie they just dial a string of numbers), hence you'll still get the odd call. But I think that the returns on this are very low hence it's not used much.

Last edited by Miniman; 29 September 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 29 September 2010, 10:04 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

dp
Old 29 September 2010, 12:12 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Old 29 September 2010, 12:19 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Thank ****, one of the most annoying things I find is having to get out of the bath or stop doing something your busy with to answer one of these calls and the phone and for it to go dead on you, this should have been done years ago when it started.
Old 29 September 2010, 12:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dedrater
+1
Old 29 September 2010, 03:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very glad to see that. It is all wrong that these plonkers are able to bother us in our homes when all we want is a bit of peace.

If I am interested in a product, I will ring up about it and if not, I just don't want to know!

Les
Old 29 September 2010, 04:55 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

This isn't going to stop silent calls, it's just an increase in the fine for those who abuse their systems. As mentioned above about the reasons why, a lot of companies use automated dialling equipment for routine customer service calls, not just sales.

The biggest issue will be those who choose not to abide by the rules anyway. If they don't present a number, then you have no way of tracing the company to complain, and most of those will be operating from abroad.
Old 29 September 2010, 04:57 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

So even though we are also with the TPS we still get calls quite often. We have caller display and it says 'International' so what can we do about it?
Old 29 September 2010, 09:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Miniman
I kinda work in this area (on a technical side rather than compliance).

Most UK companies are concerned about silent calls and do actively try to prevent it. But they also openly admit to running their call centre's at full tilt, so they will dial more calls than they have agents on seats to answer. It's the same as the airlines/plane seats trick. They know that some calls will end up as number unobtainable, no answer or answer machine. So they try to monitor the failure rate and plan accordingly. But it doesn't always happen and occasionally you'll get silent calls. It's obviously more efficient having your agents making money than talking to an answer machine or a busy tone.

Another issue is that their IT/telephone systems may need some processing time after the call is answered (for example routing the call to an agent with the right skills to talk to you and also to display your account on the agents screen). That is a complex process and if it fails sometimes the dialer doesn't know what to do with the call. A well designed call centre should deal with this, but you can see where costs can be cut (reduce the error handling functions).

I believe that the spec's say that a UK company must give out a dialable CLI that a caller can call back to. You are within your rights to dial back (or even if you talk to an agent first time) and request you are removed from the dialer list.

Also the rules state a UK based company, even if they used off shore dialers, must abide by the rules in the UK. I know of some banks that use offshoring, but essentially they dial back through their internal telephony network and only break out in the UK. Of course that won't stop companies with absolutely no UK presence.

The UK has some of the most strict rules for dialers globally. It's a lot worse for the rest of the EU and US where the rules are a lot looser.

I believe some of the new rules include a feature that allow for a "no agents available" scenario, whereby they can route to an automated message that states who the caller is and why they are calling. Not much better I suppose, but at least it's not a silent call.

I'm on TPS and ex directory, but I think there are some get out clauses that say completely random dialing is allowed (ie they just dial a string of numbers), hence you'll still get the odd call. But I think that the returns on this are very low hence it's not used much.
Thanks for the explanation

cheers,

mb
Old 29 September 2010, 11:31 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
So even though we are also with the TPS we still get calls quite often. We have caller display and it says 'International' so what can we do about it?
The only thing you can try is to block withheld number calls. Not 100% sure whether that works with international. There may be a charge for that service as well.
Old 30 September 2010, 12:39 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by r32
Bugger all. I got one today. I listened to it and it was Grattan, who I have been with for years, saying the payment was not there yet. Due today
I phoned them back and told them cheque was posted 24th Sept and promptly closed the account. Told them, if I get one more call, I report them for harrassment.