Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another for Les: what aircraft have you flown?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2010, 10:54 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another for Les: what aircraft have you flown?

Hi Les, as you're on-line: can you list the types of military aircraft that you have flown yourself during your RAF career? We know Vulcan, VC10, Canberra and I think Hunter, but were there any others?
Old 20 September 2010, 01:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Now you have got me thinking!

I have got several different types and marks of aircraft in my logbook although some were under the same generic name, there is a fair bit of difference between the marks as a rule. I will try to make a list anyway.

Chipmunk, Canadian and UK types. Both in Canada when I was being trained and as an instructor on London University Air Squadron.
Harvard Mks 1 and 2 in Canada (wings training) Same as the USA Texan.
Silver Star T-33 ex fighter in Canada for my jet flying conversion. It had the RR Nene 10 engine which had a lot more poke than the original USA engine
Vampire T-11 twin seater, and Mk9 single seater. RAF conversion training at RAF Valley.
Canberra T4 twin pilot, B1,B2,PR3,PR7, B(I)6, B(I)8 plus the odd experimental ones at RRE Pershore. Always regretted not flying the PR9 Canberra.
Straight from the Chipmunk at London UAS as an instructor to the left hand seat of the Vulcan at RAF Finningley which was a bit of a cultural shock! A good one though!
Instructing on the Canberra conversion unit at RAF Marham and Cottesmore
Cessna 172 in the USA
Twin seat Hunter and Lightning in Singapore as a swap of trips with the fighter pilots. It was all I could do to get their hands off the controls of the Vulcan since they were enjoying it so much!
VC10 transport version which I thought was an outstanding aircraft.
Tornado at RAF Cottesmore when I was instructing on the simulator. Lovely aircraft to fly at very low level.
Dominie at RAF Finningley training navigators and flight engineers. Equivalent to the HS125.
Hawk and JP aircraft at RAF Valley and I think Leconfield.
Hastings and Hermes 4 x piston aircraft, Varsity twin piston, Devon twin piston, and nearly but not quite the RR Spitfire
Gnat-which was a very nice machine when I flew with the Arrows on one of their displays.
Some unofficial training on Whirlwind and Wessex helicopters at RRE Pershore

There may be something else which has slipped my mind!

I was very lucky, there would never be the chance to fly so many different aircraft types these days.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 20 September 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 20 September 2010, 01:33 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

You dirty stop out les
Old 20 September 2010, 01:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Old 20 September 2010, 01:44 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie

Do you think you could walk back into piloting aircraft today? or is it one of those use it or lose it skills?
Old 20 September 2010, 01:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Do you think you could walk back into piloting aircraft today? or is it one of those use it or lose it skills?
well its not like riding a bicycle !!!

I assume
Old 20 September 2010, 01:56 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Now you have got me thinking!

I have got several different types and marks of aircraft in my logbook although some were under the same generic name, there is a fair bit of difference between the marks as a rule. I will try to make a list anyway.

Chipmunk, Canadian and UK types. Both in Canada when I was being trained and as an instructor on London University Air Squadron.
Harvard Mks 1 and 2 in Canada (wings training) Same as the USA Texan.
Silver Star T-33 ex fighter in Canada for my jet flying conversion. It had the RR Nene 10 engine which had a lot more poke than the original USA engine
Vampire T-11 twin seater, and Mk9 single seater. RAF conversion training at RAF Valley.
Canberra T4 twin pilot, B1,B2,PR3,PR7, B(I)6, B(I)8 plus the odd experimental ones at RRE Pershore. Always regretted not flying the PR9 Canberra.
Straight from the Chipmunk at London UAS as an instructor to the left hand seat of the Vulcan at RAF Finningley which was a bit of a cultural shock! A good one though!
Instructing on the Canberra conversion unit at RAF Marham and Cottesmore
Cessna 172 in the USA
Twin seat Hunter and Lightning in Singapore as a swap of trips with the fighter pilots. It was all I could do to get their hands off the controls of the Vulcan since they were enjoying it so much!
VC10 transport version which I thought was an outstanding aircraft.
Tornado at RAF Cottesmore when I was instructing on the simulator. Lovely aircraft to fly at very low level.
Dominie at RAF Finningley training navigators and flight engineers. Equivalent to the HS125.
Hawk and JP aircraft at RAF Valley and I think Leconfield.
Hastings and Hermes 4 x piston aircraft, Varsity twin piston, Devon twin piston, and nearly but not quite the RR Spitfire
Gnat-which was a very nice machine when I flew with the Arrows on one of their displays.
Some unofficial training on Whirlwind and Wessex helicopters at RRE Pershore

There may be something else which has slipped my mind!

I was very lucky, there would never be the chance to fly so many different aircraft types these days.

Les
wow, Les. Kudos.
Old 20 September 2010, 02:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is why I never want to bother training to fly.

When all I have flown is a twin seat Cessna and Beechcraft Sierra (under supervision) and probably will only ever be able to fly, we have Les up there having flown some of the greatest aircraft on the planet. Of which no matter how many hour put in, I'd never even hope to get a sniff at.

Jealousy doesn't even come close Admiration goes a long way though

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 September 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 20 September 2010, 02:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

What a great and historic list of aircraft.

Les are you still OK for Hendon next month?

I am going to update the thread once my op is out of the way on Friday perhaps those that go can go for a beer and food afterwards
Old 20 September 2010, 02:48 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Exellent CV Les

As Ali said, Jealousy doesn't even come close
Old 20 September 2010, 03:03 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

: wish I continued my training as a AEM just to work on today's machines.
Old 20 September 2010, 03:11 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Dominie just went over my house do they use them for sea patrols les ?
Old 20 September 2010, 03:25 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Impressive list there... especially the Lightening!!!!

I wanted to join the RAF when I was younger, and I was in the ATC and flew Chipmunks! (last year before they were withdrawn - think it was 1994). Very basic, but surprisingly easy to fly and could still pull enough G to get tunnel vision!
Old 20 September 2010, 04:11 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

WoW, Les. You really have been a busy lad
Old 21 September 2010, 12:47 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Jamie
I know they use them for navigation training, not sure whether they use them for patrols though
Old 21 September 2010, 01:00 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Ah i know they turned the tracking system off as i could not get the flight
Old 21 September 2010, 01:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
It would be no problem to control an aircraft-as you say you don't forget how to do it, but I would be out of practice of course with all the automatic things you do without thinking about it. It would take a while to get all that back so I would have to concentrate a bit!

Les
Old 21 September 2010, 01:23 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I know they use them for navigation training, not sure whether they use them for patrols though
They are not operational aircraft, not sure how many remain in service as the kingair has taken over from the jetstream for pilot training. Dominie was always for nav training.

Strangely enough Les I flew out of Finningly in a Dominie in the late 80's, probably 87/88 ish, was that your era?
Old 21 September 2010, 01:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
What a great and historic list of aircraft.

Les are you still OK for Hendon next month?

I am going to update the thread once my op is out of the way on Friday perhaps those that go can go for a beer and food afterwards
All looks good Paul, I should be able to make most of those dates you quoted at the moment anyway. Looking forward to it.

Hope all goes well with the op.

Les
Old 21 September 2010, 01:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
I see those fairly often too. It looks like a Dominie but I think it is a French aircraft, dont know which one. They use them for fishery control as far as I know.

Les
Old 21 September 2010, 01:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
They are not operational aircraft, not sure how many remain in service as the kingair has taken over from the jetstream for pilot training. Dominie was always for nav training.

Strangely enough Les I flew out of Finningly in a Dominie in the late 80's, probably 87/88 ish, was that your era?
Quite a coincidence. I was just a bit later than that. I did the Jetstream refresher course in August '91 and went straight to the Dominie after that.

Les
Old 21 September 2010, 01:50 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

That was an air experience flight, but I did return in '93 to support the Finningly Air Show, camped out in the gym and spent most of the weekend in either Ritzy's or Seventh Heaven (I think) plus the old church that was converted into a bar
Old 21 September 2010, 01:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Les What a superb list of aircraft Makes me question why I never completed my application to join the RAF straight from school. At the time I wanted to be a heli pilot though after spending a week at RAF Odiham and flying about in Chinooks and Pumas including low level night flying.

I flew them too down at RAF Manston 1989/1991 and got to do all the moves over Ramsgate with loop the loop being the best. Doing a barrel role just had to pretend it was a Spitfire and not the old heap you were really in! I'll never forget having to waddle out to the Chipmunk like a duck with that s0dding great parachute strapped to your back and ar$e. I never knew what was more worrying, the age of the Chipmunk or the age of the instructor as they were all pensioners
You made me smile at that B2Z. Well at least I was a bit younger when I was instructing on the Chippie. It was a good aircraft, I liked it very much but always wished the engine would keep running when it was inverted. Made slow rolls that bit more difficult.

One of my embarrassing moments was when I did a display at Biggin Hill in a Chippie once for Battle of Britain and I dived into the hole before the runway like the Spitfires always used to do and when they came screaming back into sight again! It was always my ambition to do that. Trouble was with the Chippie was that it did not have the poke to be able to climb straight out again! I had to do a gentle 360 climbing turn to be able to reappear. What a worry that was at first!

Just remembered one more aircraft that I flew. It was the twin seater Meteor 7 which was another good aircraft. My mate and I used to borrow one from an eastern airfield occasionally. He and I used to spend time breaking the lap record at Snetterton in it but without going under the bridge!

Les
Old 21 September 2010, 01:57 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Les

What???
Old 21 September 2010, 02:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
That was an air experience flight, but I did return in '93 to support the Finningly Air Show, camped out in the gym and spent most of the weekend in either Ritzy's or Seventh Heaven (I think) plus the old church that was converted into a bar
Last Vulcan display I did at Finningley was at the Battle of Britain airshow in Sept '81 which was coupled with the last ever public 4 x Vulcan demonstration scramble to the public.

Bittersweet moment as you might guess!

I was at Finningley on the Dominie in '93 though.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 21 September 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 21 September 2010, 02:03 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I see those fairly often too. It looks like a Dominie but I think it is a French aircraft, dont know which one. They use them for fishery control as far as I know.

Les
Cheers
Old 21 September 2010, 02:05 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

My mate and I used to borrow one from an eastern airfield occasionally.

you mean steal it les for a joy ride
Old 21 September 2010, 02:12 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I remember Meteors as gaudily-painted target-tugs and drones, particularly off Cardigan Bay, Aberporth. Not sure I would have enjoyed flying a target-tug!
Old 21 September 2010, 02:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Last Vulcan display I did at Finningley was at the Battle of Britain airshow in Sept '81 which was coupled with the last ever public 4 x Vulcan demonstration scramble to the public.

Bittersweet moment as you might guess!

I was at Finningley on the Dominie in '93 though.

Les
If I remember Concorde and Vulcan were both there in '93, must have been one of the last Vulcan displays

Quick Reply: Another for Les: what aircraft have you flown?