Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

VETS - what rip-off merchants!

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2010, 03:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry VETS - what rip-off merchants!

Took the dog to the vets as she twisted her leg on holiday getting carried away running up and down the beach .... she is over 10 years old now and should know better!

Anyway, we all know what's coming ....... to be done up like a kipper! The dog cost me well over £1,000 in vet fees in 2008! Not much last year, maybe £200. So was ready for a sting ....

Well, after a 'Consultation' the diagnosis is a ruptured/torn ligament ... but Vet not sure about how bad it is ... I did diagnose it myself by googling the symtoms - for FREE!!

Anyway, suggestion is that we have the dog X-Rayed (£150) - for this she will need knocking out completely as she's a large dog (£60) .... likely will need an Operation (upwards of £500) - with no guarantee that the joint will be much better (as the dog is old and probably has some arthritus) .....

Now, I'm no expert, but I doubt whether Cartilage/ligaments can be seen on an X-Ray? For this it needs an MRI Scan?

Anyway, long story short .... we asked if there were any other options - yes, some medicine poured on her dinner each evening - we'll take that please!

Given medicine at £20 for 32ml .... Consultation fee of £26 (for 5 minutes!) .... come back in 2 weeks for another 'consultation' on how the medicine performed.

I asked if I could have a prescription next time as the medicine is, most likely, much cheaper online ..... yes I can, the charge for the clerk typing out a prescription will be £26!! WTF!?

As it turns out, I can buy 180ml of the medicine (it can be taken for ever) for the same price as the Vet charged me for 32ml!!!!!!

Bloody daylight robbery!! What is it with some 'professions' that they feel the need to fleece people?

As an aside ..... the medicine seems to be working - we now have a puppy running around (or trying to run around!) she's not allowed her usual long walks ... and it's driving her potty!

Last edited by pslewis; 19 September 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 04:27 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vets do even more training than GPs!!! They should be earning at least £200,000 per year!
Old 19 September 2010, 04:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

£26 a month for pet insureance, worth every penny. Not needed it yet (nearly 5 years) but it's a comforting thought when i read situations like yours psl
Old 19 September 2010, 04:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The vet in Rothwell near me drives a Porsche... a nice new one too!

dunx

P.S. Next door's eldery cat collapsed, £35 to terminate, £135 for an out-of-hours diagnosis...
Old 19 September 2010, 04:54 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Vets, dentists, hairdressers and football players...
All overpaid jobs IMO.
Old 19 September 2010, 05:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
£26 a month for pet insureance, worth every penny. Not needed it yet (nearly 5 years) but it's a comforting thought when i read situations like yours psl
In the first 5 years of my dogs life (and all dogs I have owned) the Vet fees have been a big fat £zero (bar the vaccinations which are not covered by Insurance anyway).

And you have just paid £26 x 60 = £1560!!!

And that's why I don't bother with Insurance - it, obviously, is loaded in the Insurance Companies favour .... a dog at 12 years old will have cost £3744 in Insurance!

Pet Insurance is a mugs game ..... you need a really sick pet to get anything approaching your premiums back - put it in an account at the Bank and earn £400 in interest too (that's £4144 in your pocket if the pet is healthy and lives without need for Vets) - or, that money is used to fund the costs. But, before you have spent £4144 I would guess the pet would be put down - so, open an account in the pets name and put the insurance premiums into that and WIN!

Last edited by pslewis; 19 September 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 05:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Vets, dentists, hairdressers and football players...
All overpaid jobs IMO.
I take issue with the Hairdresser one!! £16,000 for a stylist - overpaid?

Footballers, yes, obviously ...

Vets, yes, again obvious ...

Dentists, don't get me on that treadwheel!!! They only need know about one part of the Human Body, a Doctor needs to know about all ..... it's the NUMBER 1 biggest con out there, Dentistry!! ..... was told I needed a Bridge a few years ago, I didn't get it done - struggled on. Then, I went back and said, OK - let's get it over with, do that Bridge. OH, NO! not now, not now that it wasn't financially worth it to the Dentist ... no, now he recommends it be pulled out (or, of course, he can do the Bridge privately!!!!!!!) Fukcing greedy barstewards!!!

Told you not to get me onto Dentists!!!!
Old 19 September 2010, 06:15 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did I mention at any time that I'm a dentist

Shaun
Old 19 September 2010, 06:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
In the first 5 years of my dogs life (and all dogs I have owned) the Vet fees have been a big fat £zero (bar the vaccinations which are not covered by Insurance anyway).

And that's why I don't bother with Insurance - it, obviously, is loaded in the Insurance Companies favour .... a dog at 12 years old will have cost £3744 in Insurance!

Pet Insurance is a mugs game ..... you need a really sick pet to get anything approaching your premiums back - put it in an account at the Bank and earn £400 in interest too (that's £4144 in your pocket if the pet is healthy and lives without need for Vets) - or, that money is used to fund the costs. But, before you have spent £4144 I would guess the pet would be put down - so, open an account in the pets name and put the insurance premiums into that and WIN!
And that's still less than what you've had to fork out from your hard earned in the last couple or three of years, let alone the future

I don't want my premium back, would rather have the warm, smug feeling that no matter what, my pooches health care is pre-paid.

So I'll stick with my peace of mind 'mugs' policy ta. £26 a month, 85p a day it's really not worth about, unlike having to let go of £800 or £900 iin one go, thats gotta hurt.

Last edited by Glowplug; 19 September 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 06:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
did I mention at any time that I'm a dentist

Shaun

As you know .... I know

I thought it would pull you out the woodwork .......

I'm sure you're not a greedy Dentist and deliver according to Clinical need and not the need of your wallet ....

Last edited by pslewis; 19 September 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 06:49 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

pete was it the cruciate ligament? my dog has a partially torn cruciate, we were quoted over £2000!! luckily we have pet insurance, at the minute we are trying a reduced diet and walking regime, to be honest hes much better on it now, before we were walking him 2 times a day for an hour at a time, hes down to around an hour a day and approx 3/4 the food intake he was on before.
Old 19 September 2010, 06:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
unlike having to let go of £800 or £900 iin one go, thats gotta hurt.
No pain at all ...... as it comes from the Pet's Account full of all those £26 a month payments - leaving £1,000's in the Account

You carry on the mugs game .....
Old 19 September 2010, 07:19 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

No pain at all ...... as it comes from the Pet's Account full of all those £26 a month payments - leaving £1,000's in the Account

You carry on the mugs game .....
Ah, thats ok then

Good job you're such a switched on little cookie, otherwise you could well be out of pocket.

I'd probably be tempted to up my monthly deposit to the 'animal fund'. Due to the age of your pooch and the nature of the injury, you may well be looking at further visits to the doggy doc in the not so distant future.
Old 19 September 2010, 07:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
pete was it the cruciate ligament? my dog has a partially torn cruciate, we were quoted over £2000!! luckily we have pet insurance, at the minute we are trying a reduced diet and walking regime, to be honest hes much better on it now, before we were walking him 2 times a day for an hour at a time, hes down to around an hour a day and approx 3/4 the food intake he was on before.
Hiya .... yes, same thing .... the knee cap apparently.
Old 19 September 2010, 07:34 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Can I ask what medicine it is you've been prescribed and where can you get it outside of the vets? I have a poorly Rottie with bad arthritis in his back legs!
Old 19 September 2010, 07:49 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
Can I ask what medicine it is you've been prescribed and where can you get it outside of the vets? I have a poorly Rottie with bad arthritis in his back legs!
Here you go http://www.petmeds.co.uk/nsearch.asp...ords=arthritis there are a few others too

Don't know how the prices compere for drugs, i just get my wormers from them
Old 19 September 2010, 08:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Can you not just take your pet back to Currys for a full refund
Old 19 September 2010, 09:33 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Pet Insurance is a mugs game ....
Had you been insured though I'm betting you'd have given it the proper care and attention it required now and not simply settled for buying it the second rate snake oil. As it is you are too tight/poor to look after your dog the way it should be despite your apparent 'quids-in' dog account.

Then of course there is the fact your dog would have also been insured for third party incidents. This part of the insurance should be made compulsory for all dog owners in my opinion. Any 'stray' dogs that cause road accidents, property damage or attack innocent people would at least then be covered against possible claims.

Just imagine if you'd used your brain and insured your dog from say the 6th year, a sensible year for many of us wise owners, you'd have not had to grizzle at all.
Old 19 September 2010, 09:41 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Had you been insured though I'm betting you'd have given it the proper care and attention it required now and not simply settled for buying it the second rate snake oil. As it is you are too tight/poor to look after your dog the way it should be despite your apparent 'quids-in' dog account.

Then of course there is the fact your dog would have also been insured for third party incidents. This part of the insurance should be made compulsory for all dog owners in my opinion. Any 'stray' dogs that cause road accidents, property damage or attack innocent people would at least then be covered against possible claims.

Just imagine if you'd used your brain and insured your dog from say the 6th year, a sensible year for many of us wise owners, you'd have not had to grizzle at all.
It is indeed a sign of sensible and responsible pet ownership
Old 19 September 2010, 10:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
METACAN Oral Suspension ..... google will show where you can get it - but, script only I'm afraid
Old 19 September 2010, 10:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I say again .... Pet Insurance is a mugs game .... when you think about it, it MUST be - or no Insurance Company would offer it!

The clever, the wise, the intelligent, set up a pet account and pay their premiums into that .... you will always, always, always, always come out on top (even giving the pet the full care that you would with Insurance).

Also, the Vet charges LESS if you have no Insurance!!!

Win, Win, Win, Win ..... for the clever that is
Old 19 September 2010, 10:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I say again .... Pet Insurance is a mugs game .... when you think about it, it MUST be - or no Insurance Company would offer it!

The clever, the wise, the intelligent, set up a pet account and pay their premiums into that .... you will always, always, always, always come out on top (even giving the pet the full care that you would with Insurance).

You mean as a business it isn't weighted in favour of the policy holder!!

Your scenario clearly points out you are the mug AND your dog is now losing out due to your unwillingness to dip into your huge dog account and get him treated properly.
Old 19 September 2010, 11:02 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

I had my friends Yorkie a while back,she got sick turned out it was a side effect of a drug in frontline flea treatment,it destroyed the pituatry gland,treatment was £800 said to money grabbing vet how much to put her down £25 was the answer.I was asked did I want ashes for £200? no I said you kill I will bury her.I blame all of you out there for being party to this license to print money by all these over paid self indulgent parasites,footballers,filmstars,dentists,opticians ,vets,bankers,politicians,estate agents,insurance,etc if I missed someone Im sure someone will mention them,Docs also
Old 20 September 2010, 05:26 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Vets do even more training than GPs!!! They should be earning at least £200,000 per year!
Yeah these easy jobs.
Old 20 September 2010, 10:05 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Our accountant lives on a farm and she said that even the Vets themselves admit the public and their beloved pet are where the money is. They have the vet come to them for sick sheep and cattle and the vet knows full well that the farmer is only going to pay so much for a sick animal becuase the farmer has no emotional attachment and will not fork out more than the animal is worth.

Vets know full well that people (in the main) will pay and pay and pay to save a pet. I paid £400 in a failed attempt to save our old cat from FIV. To be fair to the vet, she did say you could spend ££££ but in her opinion he wouldn't last much over a week or two.
Old 20 September 2010, 10:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I do agree with what PSL says. Vet's fees are quite astounding these days. They really are following the bankers' example. They are preying on the Brit's love for animals of course!

Les
Old 20 September 2010, 10:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I cant understand how someone on the sort money of wage Pete purports to be on can moan so much !
Old 20 September 2010, 10:51 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon

As i suggested earlier, i'm in total agreement with Spoons post.

As i have stated in another thread, i think every dog should be insured, chipped and heavily licensed too.

I hope your 'pet fund' covers you for loss/damage to property, or god forbid, a life. If the worst does ever happen, which lets face it, it easily could (see Lees post below), you would be up to your neck in it How clever, wise and intelligent would you then be feeling??

As for the vet charging less for the uninsured. Why would that both me?? I'm insured

You will never win, win, win, win the argument that it is better, wiser or a more intelligent decision NOT to have insurance on something which is at best, unpredictable!

I bet you home and contents are insured. No, don't tell me, insureance is a mugs game and you've got a little savings account for that as well

Originally Posted by Lee247
Well, today, my family pet went for someone. So it does happen.
I did not witness it, being at the hospital all day with my Mum, who had a nasty fall.
Jet has been a wonderful pet, for the two and a half years we have had him, but he does have a serious problem with other dogs.
Today, my daughter took him for his walk, the usual play spot for ball throwing, then the problem happened.
Jet got his eye on another dog. He hates other dogs. He ran and took not a blind bit of notice of my daugher. The man picked his dog up and Jet went for him
He has a nasty bite, that has needed hospital treatment. I am just waiting for the Law to call.
My dog has been a baby with us, but it just goes to show, anything can set them off.
I am so upset about it and don't blame the man at all, if he does take it further.
I have enough on my mind with my Mum, and for this to happen on the same day is really upsetting.
Dogs in general, can be viscious. Mine has proved this. I have no idea how I am going to deal with this as we love him to bits but do know he has faults. Serious ones by the looks of things
Old 20 September 2010, 11:44 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

was told I needed a Bridge a few years ago, I didn't get it done - struggled on. Then, I went back and said, OK - let's get it over with, do that Bridge. OH, NO! not now, not now that it wasn't financially worth it to the Dentist ... no, now he recommends it be pulled out (or, of course, he can do the Bridge privately!!!!!!!) Fukcing greedy barstewards!!!

Told you not to get me onto Dentists!!!!
So you went and saw a professional, whose opinion you chose to ignore and now it's all his fault.
What a priceless chap you are.

Quick Reply: VETS - what rip-off merchants!