The Fat Duck

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2010, 04:06 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Fat Duck

Anybody been here?

Am looking to take the Mrs for a nice meal to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. Is the Fat Duck worth the £400+ or are there better alternatives in London somewhere

TIA
Old 17 September 2010, 04:21 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£400

I'd want some suckies with my food for that much
Old 17 September 2010, 04:24 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I've been. It is unique no doubt, but you need to be able to pay the bill without flinching.

For a much more romantic setting, i'd recommend Le Manoir Aux Quat Saisons over Fat Duck any day.

HTH
Old 17 September 2010, 04:31 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

When I went it was 90 quid per person for the 15 course menu and
worth every penny. with wine and service charge bill was 75
0 for 4 people was wrth the cash but was all about the food bugger all ese to do in bray
For more of a meal and night out I woud suggest le gavroche as you can have a night out in dat ondon after.
Old 17 September 2010, 04:38 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I would also suggest that to be amazed by food nowhere else comes close. in somewhere like le gavroche its about you and the wife and having a great night while the fat duck you go and are amazed by the food and how even the order f the courses has been though about to add some comedy to the night, wheb I went you got breakfast for dessert
Old 17 September 2010, 04:42 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

My Bro is into fine eateries and had these comments:

Not done the Fat Duck but the experience is supposed to be fantasic. There's a few threads on PH about it here's one:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...nmt=Fat%20Duck

Some say the Waterside (also in Bray) is better overall - but I think it is probably just different.

Le Manoir serves probably the best technically prepared and tasting food. All very classical in a fantastic building and grounds. However, it lacks a real WOW factor - which you'd kind of hope for for £200/head inc wine.

I'd much rather eat at (in this order):

The Crown at Bildeston (Suffolk)
Glynn Purnells (Birmingham)
Sat Bains (Nottingham)
Moreston Hall (Norfolk Coast)

The Crown is simply fantastic for food, service, beer, wine, accommodation, pretty village and if you go for the tasting menu you get the WOW.
Old 17 September 2010, 10:38 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

We've been to the FD, takes ages to book as they book 2 or 3 months ahead & are always booked up so you get about 10mins from lines opening to secure a booking for 3 months ahead! I loved it & so did the wife ... once in a lifetime experience IMHO so worth £3-400. Heston was there too

TX.

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2010, 10:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have eaten at the Fat Duck and Manoir, as well as several others.

The Fat Duck is superb. Very special and unique menu. It is very moderne and not to all tastes.

I do think it is worth it, but bear in mind it is very hard to book.

Personally I think Manoir is past it's best - the food can be VERY good but choose carefully. The venue is spectacular, even better if you stay. But budget £1,000 for dinner, bed and breakfast.

I would personally rate Fat Duck over Manoir, but that could be my taste.

My current favourite restaurant is Maze in central London. I would also recommend Sketch and Ramsay's. Ducasse at the Dorchester looks and is reportedly fantastic (added bonus of Pagani parked outside quite often) but I have never had the chance to go there yet. It also gets booked up heavily in advance.
Old 17 September 2010, 11:03 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Trout - have you been to Maze Grill?
Old 17 September 2010, 11:08 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Your all posh f*ckers on here
Old 17 September 2010, 11:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Trout - have you been to Maze Grill?
No - I don't eat a lot of meat so it is not my first choice

Maze does veggie and fish options so all good!

Up North I also like Anthony's which is like a mini-Maze. I think both chefs trained at El Bulli which originated this style of tasting tapas.
Old 17 September 2010, 11:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Hmm, not sure this is the place to discuss the differences between McDonalds and Burger King chips, but I do think Burger King has the edge
Old 17 September 2010, 11:34 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Hmm, not sure this is the place to discuss the differences between McDonalds and Burger King chips, but I do think Burger King has the edge
Your so wrong
Old 17 September 2010, 11:38 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Fat Duck is an outrageous experience, but is mainly food theatre, we ended up feeling that it was a bit emperors' new clothes and that once you've been, there's no need to return.
Manoir is seriously impressive but a little stuffy. (stay at the Crazy Bear which is a real laugh a few mils away)
Maze was stunning and even better if you go wild and have the chef's table.
We went to Petrus at the Berkeley with Marcus Wareing when it was under Ramsey's empire, that was truely spectacular, now he's broken away from Ramsey I bet it's even better and is next on my list.
Heston is opening "Dinner" at the Manderin Oriental soon, if you can wait !
If you decide to go for the Fat Duck let me know as there's a sneeky way to beat the phone queue

D
Old 18 September 2010, 02:08 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Im guessing as its an anniversary meal its gotta be the evening but if not you cant save yourself a lot by visiting at lunch.

I was in Marlow last weekend (Vanilla Pod which tbh I wouldnt recommend) and walked past Tom Kerridges Hand & Flowers 1 Michelin Star pub. He's doing £13.50 for a 3 course set lunch!!! Read a few reviews on TA and seems Heston is often seen eating there which speaks volumes for the food. This was the big bald chap on the last series of Great British Menu btw.

Ive only heard good things about Le Gavroche as well.

Simon
Old 18 September 2010, 02:44 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Waterside at Bray also must be worth considering.
Old 18 September 2010, 08:44 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i would have said Burger King a couple of years ago but havent been there for a while
Old 18 September 2010, 08:53 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

wanted to take the mrs there but was booked up for couple of months father in law says its well worth it
Old 20 September 2010, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You can get a top class meal for two in our local major hotel/pub in very attractive historic surroundings for around £40. Would chucking £400 away really impress do you think? You could use the rest on a really nice present for her instead.

Les
Old 20 September 2010, 12:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminous

So wrong...

Chips - McD

Burger - BK

Milkshake - McD when they have it in stock
Old 20 September 2010, 12:49 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkypurkhardt
wanted to take the mrs there father in law says its well worth it
It must just be me, but I am reading all sorts of inuendo in that sentence
Old 20 September 2010, 01:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It's just you!
Old 20 September 2010, 01:32 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Your all posh f*ckers on here
Let us know where you've been fella

TX.
Old 20 September 2010, 07:55 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

You wont see Jim there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11302718
Old 20 September 2010, 08:56 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Apparently, go to that ginger nuts place if you want food poisoning ( or avoid the oysters!
Old 21 September 2010, 02:13 PM
Drift_King
Scooby Regular

Went to La Gavroche last year with the Mrs. My choices of food were top notch but I had to swap my main with the Mrs as she chose badly (veal was not to her taste). All in all the food in my opinion was really good. The fact you have to wear a jacket to eat is a bit too stuffy for me, would have been happy in shirt/tie but keeping a jacket on is a bit OTT. The atmosphere was odd, maybe cos we are not used to such fine dining but we felt too conscious about how we were sitting, how we were eating, all just too much pressure - not relaxing. The man or lead of a table gets the only menu with prices - this was very funny as she was shocked at how much everything was once I let on. Starters were £20 cheapest and £55ish for lobster. Mains were average of £45. Even my desert was £25! I had expected the cost (came to around £400 inc a bottle and some other drinks) so that wasn't the issue but the overall cost vs experience did not do it for the Mrs. It's one to put down on the 'done it' list, but will be trying Ramsey at the Claridges this year - already booked. Tip - Book a night in the hotel and you get advanced bookings on the restaurant before phone/internet.

PS. Those 'crushem' milkshakes at KFC are better than McD
Old 21 September 2010, 02:50 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Not been to any of those posh places, but I do still retain the receipt for a meal we had at Gerry Stonhill's Mason Arms in South Leigh in July 2000. That's back in the days when 693 quid really was a lot for a meal! That guy actively encouraged smoking and had a walk-in fumidor for his cigar sales. I guess he probably sold up when the law changed.

Note the Helicopter directions: it was just short of Brize Norton runway and a big Tri-Star came into land just above us as we staggered out of the pub into the murky darkness.

Old 21 September 2010, 05:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drift_King
Went to La Gavroche last year with the Mrs. My choices of food were top notch but I had to swap my main with the Mrs as she chose badly (veal was not to her taste). All in all the food in my opinion was really good. The fact you have to wear a jacket to eat is a bit too stuffy for me, would have been happy in shirt/tie but keeping a jacket on is a bit OTT. The atmosphere was odd, maybe cos we are not used to such fine dining but we felt too conscious about how we were sitting, how we were eating, all just too much pressure - not relaxing. The man or lead of a table gets the only menu with prices - this was very funny as she was shocked at how much everything was once I let on. Starters were £20 cheapest and £55ish for lobster. Mains were average of £45. Even my desert was £25! I had expected the cost (came to around £400 inc a bottle and some other drinks) so that wasn't the issue but the overall cost vs experience did not do it for the Mrs. It's one to put down on the 'done it' list, but will be trying Ramsey at the Claridges this year - already booked. Tip - Book a night in the hotel and you get advanced bookings on the restaurant before phone/internet.

PS. Those 'crushem' milkshakes at KFC are better than McD
Ive heard of dresscode = jacket for men but Ive never seen anywhere force you to wear it for the duration

Must admit first time I went fine dining we felt it a bit stuffy but I think thats more you perception of how things will be and not wanting to look out of place. Once you look around and see everyone else is enjoying themselves, chatting loudly etc you start to realise no one cares what your doing then you start to enjoy yourself.

I wasnt that impressed with Claridges tbh although was about 5 yrs ago. Very dark, old ambience (I guess thats in keeping with the hotel but still) and stuffy. Something like £16 for a cocktail at the hotel bar before the meal. Poor main choice didnt help as went for Chateaubriand between us. Cheese trolley was impressive. Would I go back probably not as eaten better for far less.

Simon
Old 21 September 2010, 05:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
So wrong...

Chips - McD

Burger - BK

Milkshake - McD when they have it in stock
Agreed on fries. BK fries are just wrong. McD brekkie is far superior also - esp the hash browns.

Simon
Old 21 September 2010, 07:39 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Maze is a bargain by comparison - a good night would be £200 for two.

Off to Benares tomorrow night - my favourite 'curry house'!

Quick Reply: The Fat Duck