Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone please help me! House Plans

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2010, 03:50 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone please help me! House Plans

I am in the process of getting some plans submitted for a rear extension for the house!

Found an architect , and i find i am doing his job!

He gave me the initial copy of the plans, and forgot to put the scale, put a chimney on the house, the roof was wrong and it did not show it was a end of terrace house!

He amended and sent back to me, and i found that the scale is incorrect when measured and some measurements are missing from the plans.

Now, unless i am missing something is this not HIS job! I managed to show it to my brother who picked out the initial corrections and i told his to amend.

Can someone else tell me what is needed to be corrected!? as i don't want to submit and wait 8 weeks to find out the idiot forgot to do something!

I have given him a deposit, and he want the remaining money once the plans are ready to submit!?

Old 17 September 2010, 06:25 PM
chiroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear view is not quite correct as the extenson is offset slightly from the existing outside wall, see plan view.

If plans are for Planning consent they don't want much detail but if the plans are for building regulation approval with building control dept then a lot more detail will be needed eg contruction spec ., calcs for any steelwork needed where rear door taken out, depth of footings etc.

This guy doesn't sound much like an architect.
Old 17 September 2010, 07:02 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

how much is that costing for the plans?

looks like someone playing at being an architect to me, I have just had plans done and they are a bit different to yours!
Old 17 September 2010, 07:07 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Sam, not being funny mate but in your last post you wanted somebody who would do all your plans for about £350. In your part of town that is unrealistic, if you try and pay peanuts you will get monkeys.
I think that's what you may be discovering now......
Old 17 September 2010, 07:12 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

It would make it much clearer that it was a terrace if he'd just shown the front and rear walls continuing on a bit to next door.
As Chiroman said, the extension isn't shown offset from the party wall. Are you not having head and cill on the new rear window?

Instead of just labelling 'bricks' & 'rooftiles' get him to change those notes to 'bricks to match existing' etc. It'll save you having to specify to the planner a particular brick and tile you're going to use.

Sam, are these strictly just for planning? If he's made this many mistakes just on the easy bit then I definitely wouldn't use him for building regs approval.

Matt

Last edited by Neanderthal; 17 September 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 17 September 2010, 07:37 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
It would make it much clearer that it was a terrace if he'd just shown the front and rear walls continuing on a bit to next door.
As Chiroman said, the extension isn't shown offset from the party wall.

Sam, are these strictly just for planning? If he's made this many mistakes just on the easy bit then I definitely wouldn't use him for building regs approval.

Matt
I had to laugh when I saw 'bricks' and 'roof tiles' Why not add a few others such as:

House

Door

Window

Old 17 September 2010, 07:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck

I have just had plans done and they are a bit different to yours!
+1

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2010, 10:10 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I could give you a million stories about crap architects I know people who paid for absolute crap nd then had to do it properly themselves using the originals as a base, I know a builder who has an arrangment with a architect Where he chnges the plans himself and gets the architec to sign it off with the client and planners. Architect s seem to live in a parallel existance where they expect top money even when they deliver **** work
Old 18 September 2010, 07:12 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiroman
The rear view is not quite correct as the extenson is offset slightly from the existing outside wall, see plan view.

This guy doesn't sound much like an architect.
The rear view is correct, the hatched line through the adjoining wall shows the boundary between the two properties, the new build will be all inside the boundary as is not a shared wall.

But do agree, doesn't sound like a great architect, but as someone else has said if you go with the cheapest option you rarely get the best service.
Old 18 September 2010, 08:32 AM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
The rear view is correct, the hatched line through the adjoining wall shows the boundary between the two properties, the new build will be all inside the boundary as is not a shared wall..
I agree, as you don't own the whole party wall you can only build onto your half.

But do agree, doesn't sound like a great architect, but as someone else has said if you go with the cheapest option you rarely get the best service.
This is advice you seem to have had before, architects are terrible for making basic mistakes and if this guy is making them on the basic of plans it doesn't fill you with confidence for the rest of his drawings.

Aaron
Old 18 September 2010, 11:18 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

He should put a few more dims on. Put the width and length of the extension on the plans along with the overall width & depth of the existing house and width of the alley.
You can't have enough dimensions on the plans. You can't and shouldn't rely on being able to scale off the drawing.
Old 18 September 2010, 11:33 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

He should put a few more dims on. Put the width and length of the extension on the plans along with the overall width & depth of the existing house and width of the alley.
You can't have enough dimensions on the plans. You can't and shouldn't rely on being able to scale off the drawing.
For planning, you're better off not having dimensions on the drawing, and with it printed off at a small scale (eg 1:100). If you have a planning drawing all dimensioned up and a prize jobsworth of a planning officer, he could check the built dimensions compared to those on the approved plan and, if it's not absolutely spot on, kick up a fuss. With no dims and a small scale, there is plenty of margin for error in scaling off the drawing that you can easily argue that it's been built as the approved plan.

However, you want working drawings with plenty of dimensions on.
Old 18 September 2010, 12:11 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

It has the width and length on the drawing/s. I do think you should have a side view with the height of the extension though.

Also to pick up on an earlier point, isn't it obvious that it's an end terrace due to the roof on the house.
Old 18 September 2010, 12:33 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Sorry, i didn't read your first post properly.

Have a read of this.

http://www.diydata.com/planning/plan...g_drawings.php
Old 18 September 2010, 05:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

The 1616 dimension seems a bit pointless. Architects don't really do dimensions do they!

Looks like a monopitch roof. In which case an end elevation would help to show how the bit above the new outside door next to the end wall of the house will work.
Where will the water from the gutters go?

The devil is in the detail.

Are there any services that will be covered by the extension?
Old 18 September 2010, 06:26 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
The 1616 dimension seems a bit pointless. Architects don't really do dimensions do they!

Looks like a monopitch roof. In which case an end elevation would help to show how the bit above the new outside door next to the end wall of the house will work.
Where will the water from the gutters go?

The devil is in the detail.

Are there any services that will be covered by the extension?
These drawings are for planning approval, not to carry out work from.

Once planning has been accepted then you would need another set of drawings, from foundation details to roofing details to conform to building regs. This does seem like a straight forward extension though, and i would be very surprised if there where any services at the rear of the house due to the kitchen being at the front.
Old 19 September 2010, 08:16 AM
Scooby Senior

Do you areally need planning permission? The rules have changed as to what you need to apply for planning permission for and what you don't. you may be able to build the extension on a building notice and not need any plans whatsoever!
Old 19 September 2010, 08:20 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
Do you areally need planning permission? The rules have changed as to what you need to apply for planning permission for and what you don't. you may be able to build the extension on a building notice and not need any plans whatsoever!
So, you think young sam should build an extension without any plans at all?

Not even building regs?
Old 19 September 2010, 08:23 AM
Scooby Senior

Sorry, just seen the measurements on the drawing, you can only come out 3m under the new rules!
Old 19 September 2010, 08:26 AM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

Not even building regs?
Yes, I'm not a builder and I'm half way there. inspector has passed the foundations and wants to come out again what the roof is felted. all he has seen is a rough sketch in a lined notepad
Old 19 September 2010, 08:42 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Not even building regs?
You may be surprised how much you can build without the need for planning permission.
You will need to inform building control, and they will inspect and sign off the building with regards building regs, but drawings are not mandatory, but they do prefer you to have them.

Talk to planning and building control, they are usually glad to help. We recently built a 7.5 x 4.0 conservatory, but wanted solid flank walls (for privacy) this made it less than the 50% requirement for glazing. When I discussed it with building control, they explained that the 'rules' where for guidance, and in this application they were happy for it to be built as a conservatory. (If built as an extension I would have had to paid for building regs approval)
Old 19 September 2010, 09:50 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're handy with a pencil, pen, ruler and a calculator, you can do the plan yourself. That's what I did for my rear garden room. Went through planning with no problems and the building inspector only came out twice to check the foundations and then the roofing. Save your money and do it yourself.
Old 21 September 2010, 07:22 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

You may be surprised how much you can build without the need for planning permission.
You will need to inform building control, and they will inspect and sign off the building with regards building regs, but drawings are not mandatory, but they do prefer you to have them.

Talk to planning and building control, they are usually glad to help. We recently built a 7.5 x 4.0 conservatory, but wanted solid flank walls (for privacy) this made it less than the 50% requirement for glazing. When I discussed it with building control, they explained that the 'rules' where for guidance, and in this application they were happy for it to be built as a conservatory. (If built as an extension I would have had to paid for building regs approval)
I never said you needed planning permission, I'm well aware of permitted development rules. I would try and avoid the planning dept if at all possible. I'm planning to do a single storey extension all down the side of my property (approx 50ft in depth), and rear second storey extension (18ft by 12ft) and a 2 bed loft conversion. I'm not applying for planning for any of it, it will all be done under permitted development rules.

To do building work without a building regs drawing is fine for a builder like yourself, for the layman it may come back to sting you in the tail.
The BR drawing is a good way to ensure the homeowner and builder agree on what is being paid for.

My own take on it is that your home is probably your most expensive asset, for the sake of a few hundred quid why mess around?

Where has Sam gone btw?
Old 21 September 2010, 07:49 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Planning like things like, roof tiles to match existing, new brickwork to match existing etc etc. You will however need more detail for building regs, and plenty of notes from wall construction to ventilation.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:05 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

[B]

I never said you needed planning permission, I'm well aware of permitted development rules. I would try and avoid the planning dept if at all possible. I'm planning to do a single storey extension all down the side of my property (approx 50ft in depth), and rear second storey extension (18ft by 12ft) and a 2 bed loft conversion. I'm not applying for planning for any of it, it will all be done under permitted development rules.

To do building work without a building regs drawing is fine for a builder like yourself, for the layman it may come back to sting you in the tail.
The BR drawing is a good way to ensure the homeowner and builder agree on what is being paid for.

My own take on it is that your home is probably your most expensive asset, for the sake of a few hundred quid why mess around?

Where has Sam gone btw?

From the above you clearly understand what can be achieved with the need for planning permission, but by using the & you implied differently.

With regard to building regs, I fully agree with you, the build regs drawings should be a major part of the contract between customer and builder.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:36 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Sam, not being funny mate but in your last post you wanted somebody who would do all your plans for about £350. In your part of town that is unrealistic, if you try and pay peanuts you will get monkeys.
I think that's what you may be discovering now......
Agreed...as £350 was what my brother paid for his extension a few years back..

i called around and all were charging the same amount £650 which included the Building Regulations..so i i have agreed to pay this but i am still getting peanuts

You dont always get the best service from paying top wack - there are people out there that simply want to rip you off.

I had asked him to correct, and give me the diagrams to scale, filled in the other forum and plans are now submitted.

Once approved he will do the building regulations or me to submit.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:37 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
how much is that costing for the plans?

looks like someone playing at being an architect to me, I have just had plans done and they are a bit different to yours!
£650 including building Regs - had two people quote me by coming down and afew others over the phone
Old 21 September 2010, 11:42 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I think mine was about £1200, so yours sounds very cheap!
Old 21 September 2010, 11:43 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

was urs a single story rear?
Old 21 September 2010, 11:56 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

just got this from an old thread:

I have just paid:
£1500 for plans + building regulations spec
£150 application fee for council,
£175 for building reg calculations (for RSJ's etc)
I need to pay about £450 to the council when the work starts

The above is for a 28 square metre lounge/kitchen extension and 36 square metre garage/utility room.

Unless you live in a large detached house with no neighbours with massive garden there are stacks of planning regulations to stick to!

I have a 30 page specification that lists all details for the build and what is required to build it (bricks insulation etc etc)