Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God made the World!!

Bugger me! My son has been at school a whole eight days and came home and said,

- God made the World

- Oh, did he now.

- Yes.

- How do you know?

- We were told at school.

- Yes, darling, some people do believe that God made the world.

- I believe God made the world!

I am staggered. We have always spoken about religious things in context - Christmas celebrates Jesus. A special man who lived a long time ago. We talk about Diwali and other faith celebrations to. But we are a long distant road from being religious.

But at four, eight days into school, to be told that God made the World seems a bit much to me. Far too young to be indoctrinated by my reckoning!
Old 16 September 2010, 10:58 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

If my son came home from skule and told me that... by God he get a good hiding.
I'd nail him to a cross in the garden - that'll learn him not to diss the Prof!

Or probably not.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:12 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Indoctrination starts at an early age. Let thebrainwashinh begin.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

He needs re-indoctrinating by the liberal-atheist orthodoxy.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:28 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

My Stepdaughter went to a catholic school (her late Father was a left-footer), we used to get complaints from the RI department about her at every parents evening

Her refusal to be indoctrinated quietly was a continual sore point with them for her entire time there
Old 17 September 2010, 12:31 AM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Smile

If god made the world he must have been on Special Brew!!!!
Old 17 September 2010, 12:34 AM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
My Stepdaughter went to a catholic school (her late Father was a left-footer), we used to get complaints from the RI department about her at every parents evening

Her refusal to be indoctrinated quietly was a continual sore point with them for her entire time there
Never met your Stepdaughter I am sure I would like her sounds like my Girls

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2010, 12:37 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see the problem in a child being taught at school that God created the World. We live in a christian society and I believe this is one of the many beliefs christianity holds.

I'm non-religous but hope that my children learn about God/Jesus and other bearded people as it did me no harm and I've been able to make my own decisions on whether or not to believe the good book. Either which way, children are told moral stories from the Bible and thats something that is in big decline in this country.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:44 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Don't see the problem in a child being taught at school that God created the World. We live in a christian society and I believe this is one of the many beliefs christianity holds.

I'm non-religous but hope that my children learn about God/Jesus and other bearded people as it did me no harm and I've been able to make my own decisions on whether or not to believe the good book. Either which way, children are told moral stories from the Bible and thats something that is in big decline in this country.
Was he 'taught' that as such? Some things are obvious to kids and we unlearn them as we get older.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:47 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

The problem is, they are lies and our children are being taught this! Very dangerous ground.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:48 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
The problem is, they are lies and our children are being taught this! Very dangerous ground.
Moral stories are lies?
Old 17 September 2010, 12:50 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Moral stories are lies?
Yes. God did NOT make the world.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:57 AM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

I totally agree while we are still a Christian society,what happens when all the other religions take over our schools,frightning thought.Peasant elements from overseas are destroying the basic national beliefs,I blame local government who allow it to happen,ie might offend other religions,if they dont like it **** off home
Old 17 September 2010, 01:05 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The bibles moral stories contain plenty of truth just like fairly tales and various myths and legends.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:06 AM
Lisawrx

Out of curiosity, do you think it is right or wrong to raise children to believe in Santa or the tooth fairy only to tell them x amount of years later that it was a load of crap (if they don't find out from someone else first)?

A lie is a lie at the end of the day...
Old 17 September 2010, 01:10 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Leave him to make his own decisions. At this point in his life, god is the easiest explanation for him to comprehend. When he gets older and studies science, he'll be able to make his own decision again.
Personally I am more worried about the constant eco-fascism preached to kids than the religious stuff.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:10 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

** double post **

Last edited by MJW; 17 September 2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:15 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Leave him to make his own decisions. At this point in his life, god is the easiest explanation for him to comprehend. When he gets older and studies science, he'll be able to make his own decision again.
Personally I am more worried about the constant eco-fascism preached to kids than the religious stuff.
Kids need some sort of moral guide...a path to follow etc, you can't just let them 'make their own decisions' or they will go feral.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:28 AM
Lisawrx

Kids need some sort of moral guide...a path to follow etc, you can't just let them 'make their own decisions' or they will go feral.
So you don't think when kids are older they should be free to choose whether or not they follow religion? Or that religion is the only form of moral guide?

A child can be brought up to have morals and values without it having to come in the form of religious teachings.

I think the point MJW was making was don't be too concerned about the 'how the world was created' arguement now, let him weigh up the options so to speak when he is older and probably more able to make an informed decision.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:31 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
So you don't think when kids are older they should be free to choose whether or not they follow religion? Or that religion is the only form of moral guide?

A child can be brought up to have morals and values without it having to come in the form of religious teachings.

I think the point MJW was making was don't be too concerned about the 'how the world was created' arguement now, let him weigh up the options so to speak when he is older and probably more able to make an informed decision.
How do you teach morality then? Science is value free.

Do you make sure your kids are not exposed to fairly stories or fables etc. They are not rational/empirical explanations of the world.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:38 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

How do you teach morality then? Science is value free.
Morality is gained from observation and mimicking of peers and parents rather than school, kids aren't daft - they learn where the lines are & stuff they can get away with. They only go feral if parents let them, not schools.
Old 17 September 2010, 04:30 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Morality is gained from observation and mimicking of peers and parents rather than school, kids aren't daft - they learn where the lines are & stuff they can get away with. They only go feral if parents let them, not schools.
That is a shallow understanding.

Is your morality just based upon 'copying' or does it have a deeper basis?

Do you do 'just what you can get away with'?

It's nihilistic.

Besides you don't think kids can learn values and lessons from stories ie fairy stories etc, they are rich with meaning, just as say the Bible is. If all lessons could be learned from experience we would have no need as a species for books and language.

Also school is there to socialize kids, to perpetuate democracy.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 17 September 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 17 September 2010, 07:36 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Can you prove that?
Old 17 September 2010, 07:44 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

As far as I can tell he was not taught - different people have different beliefs about how the world was created. He seems to have been taught only one view.

Originally Posted by MJW
At this point in his life, god is the easiest explanation for him to comprehend.
Utter rubbish!! He thought the world was created by cloud of dust and gas that all stuck together! He asked me a year ago why the earth spins round in space. He has an ability to absorb rational belief systems as easily as irrational ones.

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Totally agree.

Or he could even be taught that religions can give us good guidance. Buddhism is a brilliant philosophy for example.

But God made the World - eight days into school - natch!
Old 17 September 2010, 08:25 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Or he could even be taught that religions can give us good guidance. Buddhism is a brilliant philosophy for example.

But God made the World - eight days into school - natch!
IMHO westerners cannot comprehend the Buddist worldview, they understand it intellectually only.

We are only able to see the world in a Judeo-Christian way...even science and aethism is an offshoot of that.
Old 17 September 2010, 08:37 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO westerners cannot comprehend the Buddist worldview, they understand it intellectually only.

We are only able to see the world in a Judeo-Christian way...even science and aethism is an offshoot of that.
Well I can only say you have a very narrow view of westerners! At the end of the day you do not need religion to teach children right from wrong, that is the parent's job.
Old 17 September 2010, 08:40 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

The world is a lump of cooling rock inhabited by various species of animal.

One day the animals will all be gone.

What's that got to do with judo
Old 17 September 2010, 08:48 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

So I presume that as you can propose this hypothesis that you see yourself as an exceptional Westerner who is spiritually above other Westerners so you are able to provide us with insights in comparative Theology?
Old 17 September 2010, 09:20 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the school should wheel Prof. Hawkins in to make it crystal clear how the world was created

dl
Old 17 September 2010, 09:23 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I thought that children were taught religious values, not one specific religion.

My children are not a member of ANY religious group, and I don't expect them to be made to feel Christianity or any religion is a true or real at 4 years of age.

My children or any child does not need religion as a basis of learning or well being, good moral values and basic judgement skills will allow them to grow, learn and understand as they go along.

Quick Reply: God made the World!!