Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What relevance does the Pope's State Visit have to a modern post religious Britain?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2010, 08:56 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What relevance does the Pope's State Visit have to a modern post religious Britain?

Personally I feel proud to live in a country not overly influenced by clerics and religious doctrine

I do view Catholicism and its followers with a certain bewilderment sometimes, especially the conservative illiberal strand which has held sway for far too long, but it's their choice so I hope they enjoy his visit
Old 15 September 2010, 09:31 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

What I find a bit annoying is that there have been numerous documentaries, press articles and open letters denouncing the pope and the Catholic churches stance on moral issues.

Would the same left leaning media criticise Islam in the same manner? I don't see mainstream Islam embracing contraception, homosexuality or abortion.

Steve
Old 15 September 2010, 09:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
What I find a bit annoying is that there have been numerous documentaries, press articles and open letters denouncing the pope and the Catholic churches stance on moral issues.

Would the same left leaning media criticise Islam in the same manner? I don't see mainstream Islam embracing contraception, homosexuality or abortion.

Steve
I guess the key difference is that Islam doesn't have a 'leader' or a political/docrinal institutions the was Catholicism does. A state visit from a leader, especially one who hold some fairly controversial views is bound to arouse discussion.
Old 15 September 2010, 09:39 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Well today the pope's aide called the UK a third world country

A bit rich coming from the world's biggest peado club !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11317441
Old 15 September 2010, 09:41 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Steve
Maybe the catholics should go back to killing non believers like some followers of Islam do - that'll stop the lefties bitching
Old 15 September 2010, 09:45 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by jasey
Maybe the catholics should go back to killing non believers like some followers of Islam do - that'll stop the lefties bitching
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

We have one main weapon. Fear.

Fear and Surprise.

Two main weapons....

Steve
Old 15 September 2010, 09:56 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a very large and rich cult based on myth and legend like all religions and this one seems to have a lot of paedo priests in it. What relevance does the Pope's State Visit have to a modern post religious Britain? Not much, and as we aren't living in the dark ages, people should live for the here and now and look out for each other rather than squabbling over stupid made-up beliefs.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2010, 10:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Do you mean like not supporting use of condoms leading to thousands of extra AIDS cases? dl
Old 15 September 2010, 10:02 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock
Do you mean like not supporting use of condoms leading to thousands of extra AIDS cases? dl
No - the "good news" with that is that it's Catholics they're killing - just shows you how retarded "traditional" catholics are
Old 15 September 2010, 10:06 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

No - the "good news" with that is that it's Catholics they're killing - just shows you how retarded "traditional" catholics are
Well it's mainly the poor, those without education and children, who end up dying something for us all to celebrate

BTW my sisters in-laws are devout Catholics, they are amazing people who do so much in their community, they are not retarded, they are good people who care.
I would argue that they'd be good people without the church, but retarded they certainly are not

Last edited by Martin2005; 15 September 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 10:13 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Well it's mainly the poor, those without education and children, something for us all to celebrate

BTW my sisters in-laws are devout Catholics, they are amazing people who do so much in their community, they are not retarded, they are good people who care.
I would argue that they'd be good people without the church, but retarded they certainly are not
I was very careful with my reply.

If your sisters are against the use of condoms in Africa because of catholic "beliefs" - then they are retarded - no matter how good you think they might be - hth
Old 15 September 2010, 10:16 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

If your sisters are against the use of condoms in Africa because of catholic "beliefs" - then they are retarded - no matter how good you think they might be - hth
It's my sisters in-laws, and they are not retarded, they are just wrong IMO
Old 15 September 2010, 10:18 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Old 15 September 2010, 10:20 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

A state visit from a leader, especially one who hold some fairly controversial views is bound to arouse discussion.
Like King Fahad you mean?

Steve
Old 15 September 2010, 10:21 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Like King Fahad you mean?

Steve
Sorry you lost me there. What has King Fahad got to do with this?

I'm damn sure a visit by him would be rightly met with a pretty caustic welcome

Last edited by Martin2005; 15 September 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 10:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We can get a handle on the numbers of nutters out there by who turns up / pays to kiss his feet ?
Old 15 September 2010, 10:34 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Martin, I was just giving an example of a head of state with some rather extreme views. I agree, I hope if he visited, he would be given a rough ride.

I seem to remember the last Chinese Chairman to visit had a good reception...till the police vans were parked in front of the demonstrators.

Steve
Old 15 September 2010, 10:37 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Martin, I was just giving an example of a head of state with some rather extreme views. I agree, I hope if he visited, he would be given a rough ride.

I seem to remember the last Chinese Chairman to visit had a good reception...till the police vans were parked in front of the demonstrators.

Steve
I'd of thought with Fahad's views on crime and punishment he'd of got a good reception on SN
Old 15 September 2010, 10:39 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

He's a moderate in Daily Mail land!

Steve
Old 15 September 2010, 11:03 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/a...-201009143086/
Old 15 September 2010, 11:46 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

It's my sisters in-laws, and they are not retarded, they are just wrong IMO
Yes, so wrong they are on the verge of being retarded, not officially diagnosed with a mental disability, but, there are similarities of mental slowness.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:13 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Personally I feel proud to live in a country not overly influenced by clerics and religious doctrine
Interesting, I thought this sort of view would go against your extreme-left roots? Surely you want your favourite immigrants to feel at home, and get Sharia law implemented and generally have the rules of their religion go above everything else, including the laws of the land?! (exactly as they want/demand)

Agree with your actual point tho - relgion should have no influence on the laws and rules this country abides by. Things should be based on fact and reason, not myth and tradition.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:29 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Steve
Yes exactly, it's total hypocrisy and double-standards.

Catholicism is an easy target basically. Islam is give a faux-respect even though most 'moderates' are anti-gay and anti-women, and I'm not talking about just opposition to 'gay marriage' but an open antipathy.
Old 16 September 2010, 09:17 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

If ever there was a time to come clean and admit they just made it all up - it was when this kid wrote to the pope.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/197701-p...cancer-victim/

Wonder if his parents will stop him going to hospital once he's had a papal blessing
Old 16 September 2010, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I do view Catholicism and its followers with a certain bewilderment sometimes, especially the conservative illiberal strand which has held sway for far too long, but it's their choice so I hope they enjoy his visit
Agreed 100%

as do some of the pope's beer buddies http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...t-aide-dropped I wonder if he said that before, during or after sodomising a choirboy
Old 16 September 2010, 09:56 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

If ever there was a time to come clean and admit they just made it all up - it was when this kid wrote to the pope.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/197701-p...cancer-victim/

Wonder if his parents will stop him going to hospital once he's had a papal blessing
Poor little fellow.

Steve
Old 16 September 2010, 10:19 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Thats the second time in recent weeks that you've spoke some sense and i've found myself agreeing with you

Have you started drinking?
Old 16 September 2010, 10:30 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

If it makes him feel better I don’t see the harm. Not that I agree with any thing the catholic church say or do.
Old 16 September 2010, 10:30 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

If it makes him feel better I don’t see the harm. Not that I agree with any thing the catholic church say or do.
Old 16 September 2010, 11:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Thats the second time in recent weeks that you've spoke some sense and i've found myself agreeing with you

Have you started drinking?
Yes and me!

Could be that closet, right wing, xenophobe Martin is finally coming out of that closet.

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 September 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: What relevance does the Pope's State Visit have to a modern post religious Britain?