Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling on ebay - who does it for a bit of extra cash?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2010, 07:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Selling on ebay - who does it for a bit of extra cash?

I've been thinking of selling a particular product on ebay. I've got the retailer price list for the products and they sell for £3-£4 per item more on ebay than the retail price. I have a small advantage in that I don't have to pay for post and packing.

My question is really to do with competition. These days pretty much everything has been thought of and there is at least one established seller already on ebay. Now I'm not expecting a closed market but I'm just wondering how those that are new to a particular niche market survive - obvious things aside like deliver on time and good descriptions etc.

I'm not expecting a fortune just looking for something that will make me a little money to fund (of all things) my model railway.
Old 15 September 2010, 07:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have sold some stuff, it's getting v.expensive now though
Old 15 September 2010, 07:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Good point - using an online calculator, it soon seems to soak up any potential profits.

Might have a look at prices for one of those off the shelf webshops.
Old 15 September 2010, 07:43 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't understand your post. Can't you buy at a trade price? What sector is this? Why don't you have to pay for post/packing or are you slipping into your employer's mailbag?

Taxman will love your post!

dl
Old 15 September 2010, 07:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

mak shure u write yer adverd in proppah eenglish!

I have a small advantage in that I don't have to pay for post and packing.
^^ is it legal ? ^^
Old 15 September 2010, 07:46 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It's too expensive to be making any worthwhile profit.

I have had some right cheeky people buy things lately and it's really put me off.

Someone had the ***** to ask for some money back because I charged 25p more than they paid on the postage! Another moaned because a top wasn't a nice colour. It's the same colour as the picture FFS!
Old 15 September 2010, 07:46 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I have had some right cheeky people buy things lately and it's really put me off.

Someone had the ***** to ask for some money back because I charged 25p more than they paid on the postage! Another moaned because a top wasn't a nice colour. It's the same colour as the picture FFS!

Trending Topics

Old 16 September 2010, 10:15 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Taxman will love your post!
Yeah thanks Columbo but the purchases will be from an existing business account so not easily hidden. Thinking about it last night I'd rather do it properly.

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Which is why I'm wondering whether an online shop would be better than using ebay. Or use ebay first with the plan to move to an online shop. Had a look online and there are already 6 semi-dedicated shops that I could find, all pretty well established looking.

Last edited by EddScott; 16 September 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 16 September 2010, 11:31 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

I hope you reminded him of the cost of the packaging, the ebay/paypal fees, the fuel you used to get to the post office.

I'm sure that amounted upto more than 25p
Old 16 September 2010, 12:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Too many idiots on ebay these days unfortunately, and it will only take a couple of them to file through paypal to eat up your profit margins.

Although some sellers ca be idiots too .The last time I used ebay I won a game for a decent price but the seller decided he did not want to sell it at that price so told me it the game had been damaged. I said okay then just send me the copy that you have relisted
Old 16 September 2010, 12:45 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
I hope you reminded him of the cost of the packaging, the ebay/paypal fees, the fuel you used to get to the post office.

I'm sure that amounted upto more than 25p
I certainly did.

The response was along the lines of, well.... Everyone else has charged pretty much what it cost them to post.

They had a feedback of 7. Mine is 438.
Old 16 September 2010, 12:47 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Yeah thanks Columbo but the purchases will be from an existing business account so not easily hidden. Thinking about it last night I'd rather do it properly.

Which is why I'm wondering whether an online shop would be better than using ebay. Or use ebay first with the plan to move to an online shop. Had a look online and there are already 6 semi-dedicated shops that I could find, all pretty well established looking.
Have you thought about drop shipping? That's my next move now the children are at school.
Old 16 September 2010, 01:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Edd, why not try an alternate to ebay?
Old 16 September 2010, 01:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about drop shipping? That's my next move now the children are at school.
Well the supplier of the products (Its Zippo BTW) is happy to sell to me at trade prices and will give me an account once they get the reply from the business account reference. I don't mind buying X number of units to sell on.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Edd, why not try an alternate to ebay?
Hadn't thought of that and wasn't really aware there was a reasonable alternative. Even after ebay fees I can make a profit on each item and can be as competitive as others on there. I fancied the webshop approach so if that was going to work I'd need something to raise myself above (or at least keep in sight of) the competition.

I just fancy doing something different.
Old 16 September 2010, 02:17 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

We sell on eBay as part of our business and to be perfectly honest it's going to be very hard to make money unless you are already established, many people sell items on ebay below the cost of what it costs to buy them wholesale or even if you imported a container load.

The main problem you will find is most customers are either idiots or scammers, we have many systems in place to deal with both and it took a long time to sort it all out!
Old 16 September 2010, 02:25 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

I have sold an awful lot on ebay, before all the shoite rules came in I sold dodgy gambling tips, nowadays I sell DVD' s and anything that is cheap for P&P.

As long as you don't see it as a business go for it. Some DVD's I sell go for just £1.99. Add in ebay fees, paypal fees, packing fees and postage stamps plus the time it took you to photograph the item, upload it and list it and the end result is crap.

But I tend to do it in bulk, deep breath, take the pics, upload them and spend an evening on the laptop with tv in the background.

After a few weeks the reward does come in and it's worth it it IMO.

If it's too "tricky" to sell I charity it, otherwise it goes on ebay. It's a hobby. My paypal account is my rainy day account, most in it was over £4,000, currently ~ £200. And yes, the odd buyer is a complete pain in the ar$e but that's just a general percentage, if you worked in Burtons you'd get the same % of *******.
Old 16 September 2010, 02:44 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

gheybay is far too dear now. 10% final value fee. cost for listing, paypal fees as well just eats into the already small anounts you are naking on an item.
Old 16 September 2010, 03:10 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Selling on ebay can be very profitable depending on how you set your business up. I had a ebay shop selling designer clothes & all my stock was sourced from italy as prices here where too much. I found that the turbo lister was very beneficial & also offering my items worldwide. I was easily making just under £1000 a week profit after fee's & taxes etc. If i had time i would love to start again but unfortunately i cant as i have a full time job in the field i wanted.

However i personally think if you have the right item pointed at the right people you can easily make good money. My mate & me started together he specializes in selling non designer clothes with low profit margin on each item but towards the end of the month he makes a killing by selling in huge quantities. So it all depends on how you work it out to be honest.
Old 16 September 2010, 03:33 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
We sell on eBay as part of our business and to be perfectly honest it's going to be very hard to make money unless you are already established, many people sell items on ebay below the cost of what it costs to buy them wholesale or even if you imported a container load.

The main problem you will find is most customers are either idiots or scammers, we have many systems in place to deal with both and it took a long time to sort it all out!
What's the point in selling things at a loss?
Old 16 September 2010, 03:54 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
What's the point in selling things at a loss?
it would take me all day to explain, trust me when you see items on ebay that makes you think "how can they sell it so cheap" its because they are losing money.

We sell products at a loss and we buy stock by the container load and we still get customers moaning about nothing!
Old 16 September 2010, 03:56 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aladdin
Selling on ebay can be very profitable depending on how you set your business up. I had a ebay shop selling designer clothes & all my stock was sourced from italy as prices here where too much. I found that the turbo lister was very beneficial & also offering my items worldwide. I was easily making just under £1000 a week profit after fee's & taxes etc. If i had time i would love to start again but unfortunately i cant as i have a full time job in the field i wanted.

However i personally think if you have the right item pointed at the right people you can easily make good money. My mate & me started together he specializes in selling non designer clothes with low profit margin on each item but towards the end of the month he makes a killing by selling in huge quantities. So it all depends on how you work it out to be honest.
Turbo lister is the biggest pile of poo ever made, its a dinosaur that probably started out on a Amiga 500, if you were making £1000 a month after fees and tax why are you not paying someone £500 a week to run it for you
Old 16 September 2010, 03:59 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

I can understand that some customers are right tossers plus they have the advantage of leaving negative feedback whereas on the other hand the sellers cant. Then you get all the disputes etc which can turn into a headache. So no its not as peaceful as it seems!!
Old 16 September 2010, 04:07 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo lister is the biggest pile of poo ever made, its a dinosaur that probably started out on a Amiga 500, if you were making £1000 a month after fees and tax why are you not paying someone £500 a week to run it for you
If he was making £1000 a month after tax and paid someone £500 a week to run the business he would not be in business very long
Old 16 September 2010, 04:17 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Turbo lister is the biggest pile of poo ever made, its a dinosaur that probably started out on a Amiga 500, if you were making £1000 a week after fees and tax why are you not paying someone £500 a week to run it for you

Old 16 September 2010, 05:18 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Turbo lister is the biggest pile of poo ever made, its a dinosaur that probably started out on a Amiga 500, if you were making £1000 a week after fees and tax why are you not paying someone £500 a week to run it for you

I would have love to but you have to keep the outgoings low. Plus i didnt see why i had to employ someone else when im perfectly capable of doing the work my self.
Old 16 September 2010, 07:35 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I would have love to but you have to keep the outgoings low. Plus i didnt see why i had to employ someone else when im perfectly capable of doing the work my self.
cos surely then you still would have been making £500 a week for doing absolutely zilch

free easy no brainer money
Old 16 September 2010, 07:39 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
cos surely then you still would have been making £500 a week for doing absolutely zilch

free easy no brainer money
Ye buts its not worth paying someone 500 a week just for listing your ads, posting items out & taking pictures of items. When you do it yourself you know its going to be done properly. Its a one man thing
Old 16 September 2010, 07:46 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Ye buts its not worth paying someone 500 a week just for listing your ads, posting items out & taking pictures of items. When you do it yourself you know its going to be done properly. Its a one man thing

true-so you pay them £250 a week then , you then make £750 a week for doing zilch- and if they dont do it right you get rid of them and get someone who will do it right-simples
Old 16 September 2010, 07:49 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
true-so you pay them £250 a week then , you then make £750 a week for doing zilch- and if they dont do it right you get rid of them and get someone who will do it right-simples
Ye i understand but if your in need of the funds then you have no option other than to do it yourself. If i was making 10k a month then it would be different
Old 16 September 2010, 08:00 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Ye i understand but if your in need of the funds then you have no option other than to do it yourself. If i was making 10k a month then it would be different

But surely if you're in need of funds then you are just throwing away £750 a week for doing nothing-in simple terms its £750 a week being given to you for doing nothing-but now you shut that business down you dont have that money-unless im missing something very simple here

I know if i could make £1000 a week selling on ebay, being able to decide what hours in day i worked, being able to work whilst sat in my boxers with endless cups of tea by my side versus having to go out and be a wage slave to someone else and being dictated to about my working life - i know which i would pick

Quick Reply: Selling on ebay - who does it for a bit of extra cash?