Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for the ex smokers on here

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 09:14 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the ex smokers on here

How the hell did you stop your self getting ratty? I've stupidly just had 1/2 a cig becuase my neighbour offered me 1 and I accepted without thinking (I now feel grim). Stupid really as I'd just gone 24 hours without 1.

I've also developed a sweet tooth it appears, I've just munched an entire pack of biscuits
Old 22 August 2010, 09:19 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't smoke but the missus quit a few months ago. Don't know how she dealt with being ratty but i dealt with it by using Sennheiser HD495 headphones. Great Success!
Old 22 August 2010, 09:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You are clearly not serious this time about stopping ............ 24 hours and you gave in to one!!

It took me 8 years to get the craving to ease ...... you have to REALLY want to stop - you are simply not ready yet.
Old 22 August 2010, 09:23 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chocolate, chips, kebabs - comfort eating

Gave up 12 years ago
Old 22 August 2010, 09:32 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I used patches, couldn't do it without. Felt OK actually and did it whilst on holiday one year so wasn't in the normal routine which helped.

Good luck though, it was one of the hardest things I've done, but not looked back. Honestly, once you're an ex-smoker, smoking is disgusting!
Old 22 August 2010, 09:38 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It took me 8 years to get the craving to ease ...... you have to REALLY want to stop - you are simply not ready yet.
Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Good luck though, it was one of the hardest things I've done, but not looked back. Honestly, once you're an ex-smoker, smoking is disgusting!
Indeed, YOU have to REALLY want to give up, as motivation is truly the key.
Bit like the alcoholics line, one day at a time.
I gave up approx 18 years ago, ate a load of extra strong mints, and yes did gain some weight. In many ways I assume it is easier now as the places you can smoke are limited.

And agree 100%, once you have stopped, and the cravings have reduced, you will start to find smoking disgusting.
Old 22 August 2010, 09:54 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
I gave up approx 18 years ago, ate a load of extra strong mints, and yes did gain some weight. In many ways I assume it is easier now as the places you can smoke are limited.

And agree 100%, once you have stopped, and the cravings have reduced, you will start to find smoking disgusting.
Except when you are disgustingly pissed
Old 23 August 2010, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was well and truly hooked on it. I tried quite a few times to stop, unsuccessfully!

Eventually I had to spend a spell in hospital and when I recovered from the operation etc. I was unable to get out of bed for a while. There was a bloke opposite who used to go down to the smoking room, but when I was able to walk I thought I would try to resist it. There were no patches available then.

When I got home I persisted and cornered the market in Maltesers. So you are right about the sweet tooth!

I managed to keep off them and each day you do, the stronger you become in the fight.

I am very glad to be able to say that the thought of a ciggy now really puts me off it. Can't stand the smell, did not realise what the family had to put up with at the time. You really have to stop completely I reckon, if you have just one you are lost!

Best of luck with it.

Les
Old 23 August 2010, 01:11 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I stopped smoking overnight - I then smoked for one day a month later and then not even thought about having a cigarette six years later.

The best thing is not to stop smoking but to start to do something else (other than eating Maltesers!!).

Personally I do not think patches are a great idea as they simply maintain the craving for nicotine.

So make a decision about your life and choose something else instead of smoking...

- to save money for a special holiday (a pack a day will pay for a top holiday!)
- to get fit for yourself
- to get fit for your children or partner (I know someone whose seven year old daughter said to them - Daddy I wish you would stop smoking as I don't want you to die - he didn't smoke again)

the choices are endless - but it is much easier and better to start to do something than to stop doing something!
Old 23 August 2010, 01:36 PM
scoobygreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman

cant agree more

stopped for mmm 8 or 9 years now you gota really want to stop in the first place
extra strong mints worked for me too, you dont realise how bad it smells either as a smoker,
Old 23 August 2010, 01:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
How the hell did you stop your self getting ratty?
i just smoke some ganga, that mellows me out rightly
Old 23 August 2010, 01:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is true that you need to occupy yourself to take your mind off it. I found fly fishing helped, you can't really have a smoke when you are in the water up to your chest casting to the fish.

No one can ever honestly say it is easy.

You can expect to put on some weight until your body gets into balance again.

The biggest noticeable plus was the amount of cash you save. I was able to buy a much better car because of that.

Les
Old 23 August 2010, 02:06 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I used patches and have not had a smoke in 7 month's now. The few weeks are the most difficult without a doubt! It takes real WILLPOWER to get through it and you do have to have some kind of motive and belief to wanna quit or you will fail.
Old 23 August 2010, 02:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't recall being any more ratty than I ever am, which is not a lot. Stressful job too at the time where I was used to smoking.

Stress relievers are exercise and online gaming (shoot-em-ups)
Old 23 August 2010, 03:31 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I was ratty and i also suffered from lack of motivation. Infact i still suffrer from these plus your metablism slows right down too hence weight gain

I am now a non smoking chunky monkey
Old 23 August 2010, 04:40 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Your brain is craving nicotine and your hands are idol...
By quitting you are not giving your body nicotine so it misinterprets the cravings for hunger...hence you eat more..that coupled with slow metabolism & figity hands that need to be holding something and voila..weight gain... a stone or more probably by the time you stop craving.

Try to snack on low fat stuff...I found cracker bread with a low fat spread usually kerbed the stupid hunger episodes.

Also, the 1st 7-14 days of giving up is HABIT not addiction.... so the withdrawal starts after 2 weeks..hence why so many people crumble, they think they've cracked it, then bam... a whopper of cold turkey and they crack... keep strong, keep reminding yuorself why you are giving up... worked for me! (And avoid alcohol... worst thing to lessen the resolve)

Last edited by scooby L; 23 August 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 23 August 2010, 05:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Smoke cegars instead. I have about one a month on average as a treat and a big Boss-Hogg-Boosim one every now and then
Old 23 August 2010, 05:43 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

go to a herbal remedy shop and get yourself some Valerian and Passiflora, a herbal remedy for stress and anxiety. tastes disgusting tbh (but only as bad as ciggies will seem in the future) but it does work and keep you on an "even level". exercise as much as possible also and take long relaxing baths as well as up your vitamin C intake. worked for me! ...........good luck.
Old 23 August 2010, 08:25 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POSH-FRUIT-FLA...eets_Chocolate

thats what I used!
Old 23 August 2010, 08:35 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

patches and loads of packets of extra strong mints and about 3 years of winding down been 6 1/2 years now put a little weight on but tell youthis if i had carried on smoking, a couple of years ago had a really bad chest infection couldnt breathe and left me with a touch of asthma reackon it would have been far worse if i had still smoked you can do it.... each day gets a little better... good luck