Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thinking about doing computer repairs in my spare time.

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 12:55 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about doing computer repairs in my spare time.

I have recently just fixed 2 computers and really enjoyed it. This has got me thinking how much is it to train part time to complete a course in general repairs etc.

I was then thinking about offering this in my local area to get a bit more beer money.

Any thoughts ? Good Idea or not ?

Thanks for the comments
Old 22 August 2010, 01:09 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Just saw this course and thought it was a good price.

http://kanduit.co.uk/Unit01-ComputerAssembly.html
Old 22 August 2010, 01:18 PM
Will
BANNED

Mate, there's plenty of free learning materials on the web. Use them and book your comptia A+ exam.
Old 22 August 2010, 02:15 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

There is quite a lot of competition around, so as long as it is a spare time thing only then it is quite a good way to make some extra money. I do it occasionally and charge £25/hr (minimum £25).

Be prepared to see PC's in a shocking state, and if it is someone particularly unattractive naked pictures of themselves.

Steve
Old 22 August 2010, 02:16 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve what are the main problems you fixed. Roughly how much do you charge ?

Thanks
Old 22 August 2010, 03:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Most problems are dumb user, always clicking yes and bad website/**** related.

Take your CompTIA A+ by all means, but do it knowing that every f*cker who uses a PC considers themselves knowledgeable now. To prove this post a simple problem in the computer section and see how much rubbish 'knowledgeable' advice you attract.

Ive got many many years in the IT industry, Ive worked as an engineer and I spent years as a technical sales rep for a large manufacturer, but I wouldnt entertain do it.
Old 22 August 2010, 03:39 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I did it for a while. 99% of the work you get is because the machines are so infected the internet doesn't work anymore, this is the only reason they call someone.

It's difficult to get much work from it, there is alot of competition and yellow pages e.t.c are a rip off. I got most of my work through adverts in newsagents.

Trending Topics

Old 22 August 2010, 06:34 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Contracts is where the money is,not Contracting, but getting contracts from small businesses,25-50 computers,x amount per support of machine, spend a few days sorting them out then hopefully you should not be back but still get monthly £££ in your bank

its just getting the trust/support of places to give you a contract !
Old 22 August 2010, 07:04 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Don't do it, there is far too much competition floating around and you will end up hating the things!

A massive amount of you time will be backing up peoples data and rebuilding their computers because they have a mad **** fetish, riddled their machine with all sorts and they STILL don't admit to it...... It was there son, he installed something wehn they were at work os summit LOL

Enjoy your free time from your real job LOL Oh and when friends and family hear you know about computers they will ALWAYS be on the blower expecting help for free
Old 22 August 2010, 07:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth

Enjoy your free time from your real job LOL Oh and when friends and family hear you know about computers they will ALWAYS be on the blower expecting help for free
too true. friends as well. i fixed them for a few years for the odd pint and bottle of bacardi. got to the point were i started my own company. when you start charging £35 + VAT per hour the work soon dries up. trust me. too much competition and the amount of time you spend working on some machines to fix them it would be cheaper to go out and buy an new one. you almost feel embarrassed to ask for the money.
Old 22 August 2010, 08:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
too true. friends as well. i fixed them for a few years for the odd pint and bottle of bacardi. got to the point were i started my own company. when you start charging £35 + VAT per hour the work soon dries up. trust me. too much competition and the amount of time you spend working on some machines to fix them it would be cheaper to go out and buy an new one. you almost feel embarrassed to ask for the money.
If things needs re-installing I just charge a fixed price (usually £50) and take the machine away and do it whilst I'm working on other things.
Old 22 August 2010, 09:10 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth
Don't do it, there is far too much competition floating around and you will end up hating the things!

A massive amount of you time will be backing up peoples data and rebuilding their computers because they have a mad **** fetish, riddled their machine with all sorts and they STILL don't admit to it...... It was there son, he installed something wehn they were at work os summit LOL

You could always build them and sell them,a couple of my mates do this as a hobby..
Old 22 August 2010, 09:55 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

I would like to do the course just for me and if i get any work it will be a bonus. Is there any cheaper courses around?

Thanks
Old 23 August 2010, 11:50 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vallumlj
I would like to do the course just for me and if i get any work it will be a bonus. Is there any cheaper courses around?

Thanks
there are plenty of cheaper courses around but the compta A+ hardware / software ones are industry recognised.

If your feeling software savy then take an MCSE with microsoft.

none of these are cheap tho.
Old 23 August 2010, 11:54 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

If you are hell bent on doing it mate, simply read an E-book and then sit the exam, simples, there is nothing a course will give you that you can't ge tout of a book, there are loads of A+ books

If it is MS stuff, again, read the books, they will want you to give a specific answer according to them regardless if it is the quickest or best way to fix their problem LOL MS courses are a joke.
Old 23 August 2010, 12:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The biggest problem with fixing computers as a business:

a) customers who want to know "up-front" how much it'll cost. Now that may seem fine, but if you quote for say, two hours and it turns into four hours, they may well tell you to sod off

b) Customers who want you to fix it via the phone (for free), i.e, "I'm not sure if anything wrong or its just me, but..."

c) Customers who want you to travel to their premises. Which means if you have a slow computer and need to do a full backup/reinstall, your sat on your **** for several hours doing nothing. Fine if they willing to pay you for the hours you are sat snoozing, but most are not.

I do fix my clients computers on the side as part of our small business support, but its a strict "drop-in" only service. They drop it off, no collections, no on-site support, no telephone support (except with Sage and accounts/payroll support). I bill for the time spent actually at the computer, which isn't very long usually (as I let it pootle along on its own accord), and generally have a one working week turn-around.

Obviously working with the above, I don't get many do it. But that suits me fine as it puts off alot of the jokers. The following gives an insight of what I sometimes have to put up with:

Had one recently that lost all his missus's Sage user data. Basically he it effed up (browsing/downloading **** I guess ), took the PC to some upstarts to fix (their website is quite amusing with "GamerZ" style nicknames like a bunch of kids, but they are in their 30's LOL ). Of which fitted a new hard drive and reinstalled the OS onto it (I presume the old drive just became too full of **** ), these upstarts did a backup onto a DVD, but only the stuff in "my documents" nothing else.

Sage does not store data in My Documents, its been like that since the 1980's. ( Default is c:\sage, but I usually create a user partition and put it to there though ). The Gamerz didn't back it up. They also "wiped" the old drive and put it in a USB caddy (yup defo a **** stash ).

Anyway, the point was this guy wanted me to "fix Sage" because his missus couldn't use it. I told him there is no user data, and what backup that was provided by the "GamerZ" didn't contain anything to do with Sage. Missus last backed up herself last year

No problem I said, I have basic recovery software that would easily restore the missing data from teh wiped hard drive. Just drop it in and I'll be able to recover it. If not, we have quite a good price agreement with Sage for professional data recovery.

Would he let me have that hard drive? Not a chance LOL! He'd rather his missus lose ten months of data entry than have me have a nosey at his **** stash

Oh yes, word of warning if you decide to build computers, as easy as it is, when goes wrong, you'll get the blame...even if its the user who messed it up, you'll get the blame and be expected to fix it for free. Fine if you priced the PC with a hefty profit margin, but it quickly gets eaten away, especially if suppliers play up or drags their heels on faulty components (returns shipping charges etc). I once inadvertantly sold someone a computer on supply only, but he was under the impression that I was going to teach him how to use it, having never touched one in his life!

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 August 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 01:21 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

There was a thread in a similar vein to this a while back. The title was along the lines of "free IT support line" or words to that effect.

I can't remember who the OP was but many of the replies highlights the hassle you may (will) get with peoples computers. Was a funny read
Old 25 August 2010, 02:02 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
b) Customers who want you to fix it via the phone (for free), i.e, "I'm not sure if anything wrong or its just me, but..."
Been there.

They usually begin with "I'll tell you what it is.....I did blah blah blah"
Old 25 August 2010, 02:16 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

It's bad enough being the bloody family IT guy!

I'm a programmer and that means (apparently) I know how to fix printers, routers, wifi and house wiring. I can also fix windows, excel and outlook bugs and fire thunder bolts from my 20ft wanger!

As above I've had to work on some SH!TTY PCs and every time 'It did it itself'! I can't go to my folks (or the OHs) house without being asked to fix something PC related. Usually it's 'Can't get on the net' or 'Printer is broken, dont know what happened'!

If I were you I'd get yourself into programming. Java is a good start as it gets you into OOP and is easy enough to switch to c# etc later on syntax wise. I'm a c# guy and would never consider going to the darkside (IT support).
Old 01 September 2010, 09:54 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

still thinking about doing the course. Where can i find the ebooks. Will I learn enough to pass the test. Don't i need to do some practial work
Old 02 September 2010, 10:52 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Oh yes, word of warning if you decide to build computers, as easy as it is, when goes wrong, you'll get the blame...even if its the user who messed it up, you'll get the blame
This is why I never build PCs for anyone anymore.

Built one for our MD and it drove me mad. Kinds DL **** and music and the thing contracting all manner of sh1te and somehow it was my fault. Our MD has this nack of completely screwing a machine up and then blaming it on the machine, me or anyone else. He asked me to change the HD on his sons laptop so I made it quite clear that it was under the strict rule that once the HD was in and the OS was on I didn't want to hear about it again.

I won't go to peoples homes either.
Old 28 September 2010, 10:34 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

I am looking to try and find a ebook for CompTIA A+ .

How often does the course exams change. Do I need to get the latest book or would a 4year book be the same.

Thanks
Old 29 September 2010, 12:12 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

if I knew 8 years ago what know now I would never touch anyone elses PC again. Businesses arent too bad but the recession has made people think twice before asking you to come sort it out, and 9 times out of 10 want you to "talk them through it"

also a problem with dealing with home users is that once you've touched their pc your locked in an eternal bond with them and there after they will expect services for free if it goes wrong, what I like to call the "you where last to touch it, its now broke, therefore its your problem" The fact you last repaired it 5 years ago is immaterial!

Plus there is no way you could make a decent living out of it because again the recession has put lots of supposed "experts" on the market who are more than willing to charge £7.50 an hour.

Also you might find if you want insurance that dealing with home users in their homes will cost you an arm and a leg. my insurance doesnt cover home users and its dirt cheap.

However if your willing, good luck to you.