Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Diesel overtakes petrol car sales for first time

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2010, 07:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Diesel overtakes petrol car sales for first time

Sales of diesel cars have overtaken petrol for the first time, latest car industry figures have shown.

Diesel sales made up 50.6% of the total in July, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said.

The sale of petrol cars dropped by almost a third in July compared with the same month a year earlier.

Petrol sales have fallen since the end of the government scrappage scheme in March, which saw motorists buy smaller, cheaper cars.

"The diesel market is seeing strong recovery after last year," a spokesperson for the SMMT told BBC News.

"Demand fell as diesel prices rose and the scrappage scheme was actively boosting sales within the small car market, where diesel engines do not penetrate as high as petrol."

Industry experts say that the 11.8% rise in diesel car sales in the past year also reflects the need to curb total household spending in the current economic climate.

The Diesel is now KING!
Old 10 August 2010, 07:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Que the start of a price rise in Diesel.
Old 10 August 2010, 07:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Going to go back the other way now, petrols are cleaner and can make new targets more easily, the tech is coming along now aafter years of being left in favour of Diesel development, the downsized petrol with turbovharging and supercharging, direct injection and clever valve type stuff will be king in the next couple of years.
Old 10 August 2010, 07:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

UK is the only country thats been so slow to adopt diesel.

90% of cars in Spain and France are diesel, mainly because the fuel is a hell of alot cheaper and offsets the increased purchase price of a diesel engined car.

With the added fact that in terms off hum-drum comuting cars, the diesel counterparts are so much nicer to drive as the sub-2.0 litre petrol counterparts so often lack the sub-3000rpm torque required to move the average 1.4ton NCap 5 car at a decent pace, unless it uses some form of forced induction which then impairs MPG; may as well have a diesel.
Old 10 August 2010, 07:43 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Well I'm currently looking to jump from the scoob into a diesel but a used one. The mpg gain, lower general running costs being the main factors.

Anybody selling a nice Mondeo ST TDCI give me a shout
Old 10 August 2010, 08:32 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I still don't understand why diesel is more expensive than petrol. "because they can" doesn't feel right in such a competitive mkt - does it cost more to produce?
Old 10 August 2010, 09:48 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
+1
Supply and demand. It will happen.

Trending Topics

Old 10 August 2010, 10:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Gordo
I still don't understand why diesel is more expensive than petrol. "because they can" doesn't feel right in such a competitive mkt - does it cost more to produce?

Nope we're just taxed more. Plain and simple. Diesel is cheaper than petrol in most other countries.

All fuels come from the crude oil (except bio-fuel, of course ), as the result of the refining process. When refining, the crude splits off into certain types of products, LPG at the top, bunker fuel oil and tar at the bottom, with petrol and diesel inbetween. So in effect production costs are very similar. Although the refining processes can be tweeked a little depending on demand (i.e diesel can be further refined to make petrol), but essentially diesel and petrol will always be produced when refining crude, no matter what refining process is used.

So no matter what the demand, it still has to be produced, i.e to get tarmac, jet fuel or plastic bags, we will also end up creating diesel and LPG, even if we don't want it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 August 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: ;)
Old 10 August 2010, 11:55 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Why diesel outsold petrol in July?

Simple, private buyers buy petrol cars in the main, refusing the pay the premium for diesel engines. The % of private buyers in the total market for July fell to only 40%, Fleet & Business purchases took a combined 60%. Thus as nearly all Fleet & Business buyers choose diesel cars, it is obvious that Diesel for the first time takes over 50% of the market.

Its nothing to do with curbing household spending or any bollox like that, its purely down to the split of who is buying the cars. With scrappage gone, expect similar results for the next few months as Fleet & Business buyers keep the market ticking over. Once Private buyers start coming back to the market, the split will move away from diesel again.
Old 11 August 2010, 02:21 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Reffro - I am not sure. Her indoors chopped a 2005 BM 320i for a Diesel 207 in April. Her only reason for buying the 207 was fuel economy. I found this a bit strange, as I pay for her fuel, but the BM was a terrible car with no warranty and loads of faults (see worst car thread for a run down) The 207 is a terrible car with loads of faults, but does about 70MPG instead of 32. (OK - it has no faults so far, but it is a Pug, so they will arrive soon) - I've notice a substantial reduction in costs since she changed. £120.00 in fuel per month, £150.00 in finance (.... this isn't a real saving in the longer term, but it is on a monthly basis) and 30 quid road tax instead of 230.00. Taking in BM's stupid run flat tyres, I pay out £3600.00 less a year. Given the austerity budget, how many other households would like to make a £3600.00 a year saving?
Old 11 August 2010, 08:03 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Fill `em up with cherry

I think its about 54p a litre still ? One of my regulars has been running it for years.
Old 11 August 2010, 08:10 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess i was suckered into buying a higher mleage diesel by the price . I then had to replace the turbo , flywheel ,clutch which would go a long way toward negating that saving. However even lower mileage examples have similar problems if your unlucky !
Old 11 August 2010, 08:13 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

In the olden days i always regarded diesels as pure work horses, they always seamed to last for ever, probably because they were not that highly strung, nowadays the derv engines are having there ***** twisted into knots to make better power and torque figures, which is probably why they dont seam to want to do 200k miles
Old 11 August 2010, 08:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What , like that honda civic jobbie ?
Old 11 August 2010, 09:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think most think that it is more "modern" to have a diesel and feel they have to project the right image! Maybe they think it makes them look more green too.

Les
Old 11 August 2010, 08:57 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

anyone who buys a new oilburner for private use needs thier head read.
its been proved by one of the mags that you never get ure money back on the better mpg . they gave a few examples 320d bmw 388.000 miles just to break even , new mini 89,000 mileas just to break even this was a direct comparasin against the same petrol car. difference in retail price devided mpg difference and the fact that petrolis cheeper
Old 11 August 2010, 09:04 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Nope we're just taxed more. Plain and simple. Diesel is cheaper than petrol in most other countries.

All fuels come from the crude oil (except bio-fuel, of course ), as the result of the refining process. When refining, the crude splits off into certain types of products, LPG at the top, bunker fuel oil and tar at the bottom, with petrol and diesel inbetween. So in effect production costs are very similar. Although the refining processes can be tweeked a little depending on demand (i.e diesel can be further refined to make petrol), but essentially diesel and petrol will always be produced when refining crude, no matter what refining process is used.

So no matter what the demand, it still has to be produced, i.e to get tarmac, jet fuel or plastic bags, we will also end up creating diesel and LPG, even if we don't want it.
What a cracking explanation....
Old 11 August 2010, 09:05 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
UK is the only country thats been so slow to adopt diesel.

90% of cars in Spain and France are diesel, mainly because the fuel is a hell of alot cheaper and offsets the increased purchase price of a diesel engined car.

With the added fact that in terms off hum-drum comuting cars, the diesel counterparts are so much nicer to drive as the sub-2.0 litre petrol counterparts so often lack the sub-3000rpm torque required to move the average 1.4ton NCap 5 car at a decent pace, unless it uses some form of forced induction which then impairs MPG; may as well have a diesel.
I thought the US was the worst for Diesel usage?
Old 11 August 2010, 10:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Errr, yeah. I was thinkimg within Europe when typing that.

The US's oil industry is a bit of an enigma when it comes to tax/supply/demand etc.
Old 12 August 2010, 07:03 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
LOL and the fall in petrol!
Old 12 August 2010, 07:51 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The thing about diesel is:

I have a 3.0TDi, remapped and running with a Milltek exhaust - I have 280bhp with 390ft/lbs torque, with a near vertical power curve at 2500rpm. This all means I can have some serious fun when I want to and it sounds great when you boot it.

Travelled up to Darlington on Tuesday and averaged 57.4 mpg on the way up - would've got 600 miles out of the tank as well, if I'd been feeling a little braver...

The combination can't be matched with a petrol car, so I like my soot chucker
Old 12 August 2010, 08:29 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

From one fill of the fuel tanks on my cars:
Impreza Type R - circa 280 miles max
A6 2.0tdi - 650-700 miles
my old 320D - circa 650miles
All driving easy (very easy in the Type R)

I'd certainly go for a soot burner again, second hand especially as you'll still get a good price when its sold on.
Old 12 August 2010, 08:55 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
The thing about diesel is:

I have a 3.0TDi, remapped and running with a Milltek exhaust - I have 280bhp with 390ft/lbs torque, with a near vertical power curve at 2500rpm. This all means I can have some serious fun when I want to and it sounds great when you boot it.

Travelled up to Darlington on Tuesday and averaged 57.4 mpg on the way up - would've got 600 miles out of the tank as well, if I'd been feeling a little braver...

The combination can't be matched with a petrol car, so I like my soot chucker
Ah the old 'diesal dyno figures are great on paper' bollox.

Old 12 August 2010, 08:59 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
In the olden days i always regarded diesels as pure work horses, they always seamed to last for ever, probably because they were not that highly strung, nowadays the derv engines are having there ***** twisted into knots to make better power and torque figures, which is probably why they dont seam to want to do 200k miles
Yep they need brutal compression ratios and consequent heavy rotational masses with loads of inertia.
Old 12 August 2010, 09:04 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We sold the impreza for a second hand Audi A4 TDi love it for the MPG , only down side it's 110bhp and so boring to drive, the next purchase will be either a 530d or 535d
Old 12 August 2010, 09:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Ah the old 'diesal dyno figures are great on paper' bollox.

Certainly wouldnt be using all that 280 bhp for 57mpg lol
Old 12 August 2010, 10:18 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

Diesels are the way forward
I have run 2 cars petrol and diesels for 14 years and have always doubled my savings with diesels

My classic Subaru 250 to the tank £63
My wrxd yes diesel 500 to the tank £63

And the wrxd is as fast mid range too
With cheaper insurance £279 £155 road tax and £210 to service I'm going to save over £2500 over the 330s I was going to buy
I will keep the wrxd to 5 years probably 12.5 k savings
Makes the wrxd a bargain at 23k
Old 12 August 2010, 11:33 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
Certainly wouldnt be using all that 280 bhp for 57mpg lol
It means I have the choice

( I live right next to the M1, so it's multi-lane the whole way up and I just cruised at 70-75 for the entire journey (apart from the 50mph stretch on the A1)
Old 12 August 2010, 12:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Diesels will take a back seat over the next few years due to new emission laws as they cant get them as clean as a Petrol, downsized petrols with turbos and superchargers are the way its going and they are getting results pretty much the same as a diesel in terms of MPG.

People buy diesels as like Les says, there is a feeling its the thing to do sometimes but otherwise it due to the type of vehicles people buy, we have a Galaxy diesel, as its huge, heavy and doesnt need to go that fast diesel is the way to go as is the case for the off roaders that everyone hankers for, they are best with diesel but a cabriolet with a diesel engine is a horrific concept, the noise and the smell, they only exist due to company car tax rules, not because they need a diesel engine.

People always seem to have a point to prove with diesels, in terms of the performance, if anything they are faster nowadays but there is still this chip on the shoulder, look at the 335D, sure its marvellous but all the owners seem to need to beat everything on the road with their diesel machine, point being is that they cost 35 grand, well done, you "beat" a 2 grand, 15 year old petrol car !

Dont get me wrong I like diesels, but it has its place.
Old 12 August 2010, 12:55 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
anyone who buys a new oilburner for private use needs thier head read.
Not really.

I want from a Petrol to a diesel 2 years ago. Halved my fuel bills overnight. Plus, I can now get to London & back on one tank, rather than 2 tanks.

Most people see a difference in there monthly fuel bills rather than the purchase price.

Quick Reply: Diesel overtakes petrol car sales for first time