Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Washing machine not using fabric softener

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2010, 11:39 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing machine not using fabric softener

Me and the mrs have a zanussi washing machine. It's been really reliable and can't be more than 4-5 years old. For some reason recently it's not been using the fabric softener that she puts in the compartment for it. Cleaned out the pull out drawer where you put the powder etc, also cleaned out the filter at the bottom of the machine. A bit stuck for ideas now as she's even tried watering the softener down to see if that helps. We generally use surf wash powder and comfort fabric softener. Since it's stopped sucking the softener through the clothes don't smell as nice and sometimes need a second wash due to smelling musty.

Can't really afford a new machine so wondering if there's anything to try like a cleaning solution or anything. Help or tips would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 06 August 2010, 11:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Me and the mrs have a zanussi washing machine. It's been really reliable and can't be more than 4-5 years old. For some reason recently it's not been using the fabric softener that she puts in the compartment for it. Cleaned out the pull out drawer where you put the powder etc, also cleaned out the filter at the bottom of the machine. A bit stuck for ideas now as she's even tried watering the softener down to see if that helps. We generally use surf wash powder and comfort fabric softener. Since it's stopped sucking the softener through the clothes don't smell as nice and sometimes need a second wash due to smelling musty.

Can't really afford a new machine so wondering if there's anything to try like a cleaning solution or anything. Help or tips would be much appreciated, thanks.

in this weather they do often smell a bit musty if left for a couple of days.

I would suggest removing the drawer again and pulling it apart and checking the small waterways are clear and that the drain from that part of the tray is clear.

You can pour some boiling water into the compartment to flush it as this may well help

We run our machine every two months on its hottest/longest setting just to keep it clear
Old 06 August 2010, 11:55 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
in this weather they do often smell a bit musty if left for a couple of days.

I would suggest removing the drawer again and pulling it apart and checking the small waterways are clear and that the drain from that part of the tray is clear.

You can pour some boiling water into the compartment to flush it as this may well help

We run our machine every two months on its hottest/longest setting just to keep it clear
I did the boiling water thing when I had it out before and nay then put it on a 95 degree wash for about 2 hours afterwards. I'm a little stumped as I know we live in a hard water area. Horrible feeling it's limescale.
Old 06 August 2010, 12:12 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

You need to start adding vinegar

We stopped using fabric conditioner a year or so back (iirc i posted about it) as it just gunks the machines up, especially if you do loads of low temp washing.

We usually add a splash of vinegar on every wash now, works a treat.
Took a while to get rid of the gunk though
Old 06 August 2010, 12:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Youd dont end up smellimg like Pissy lewis then ? tcp
Old 06 August 2010, 12:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

If you pour a pint of sarsons finest into the machine then you smell like a chipshop

Our first load of washing was met with a mass amount of disproval from the sceptical missus
"no, no trust me it will work, the internet said so"

We use about halfway up to the max line in the conditioner drawer, with distilled white vinegar, keeps the machine running sweet as a nut, google it

She is a total convert now though.

Its the old gunky crap in the machine that makes the smells.
Old 06 August 2010, 01:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I think I've found the problem...

I unscrewed the top off the washing machine and switched off the water supply tap to it. After some unscrewing and cut knuckles I managed to pop out the feeding tray inner. Took this apart and the problem is in the top half of it where there are several little tube passings. They're coked up in some black crap which I've tried to get out the best I can. Loads of little holes and funnels and the side which is blocked up is from the fabric softener.

So I've cleaned it best I can and will put it all back together.

Gonna try the distilled vinegar and see if this maybe detaches the rest away. In the meantime gonna look and see if I can just buy the inner tray new from somewhere instead of forking out for a new machine.

Calgon tablets any good to prevent this again? As the mrs isn't convinced vinegar will make clothes smell like like fabric conditioner.

Trending Topics

Old 06 August 2010, 01:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The black stuff is usually mould!

Every time your nice new fabric conditioner is sucked down into the machine, it passes over the mouldy crap, urrgh.
Old 06 August 2010, 01:45 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Can't you just soak the tray in a bowl overnight to loosen up the gunk?
Old 06 August 2010, 01:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've put it back together now after getting more of the crap off with boiling water... proper little engineer me

When I pop out to pay the weekly bills I'll pick up some distilled vinegar. My trusty mum said do a few rinse washes to get the stuff through and unblock any more of the black mould. I thought a nice hot wash would suffice but didn't realise the heat element was at the bottom of the machine

Hopefully have good news in a few washes time. Micky, thanks for the vinegar idea, I owe you a pint should our paths cross
Old 06 August 2010, 01:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I've put it back together now after getting more of the crap off with boiling water... proper little engineer me

When I pop out to pay the weekly bills I'll pick up some distilled vinegar. My trusty mum said do a few rinse washes to get the stuff through and unblock any more of the black mould. I thought a nice hot wash would suffice but didn't realise the heat element was at the bottom of the machine

Hopefully have good news in a few washes time. Micky, thanks for the vinegar idea, I owe you a pint should our paths cross
More importantly how is the speech writing going???

Is the big day this weekend? i cannot remember for the life of me, back into NGH Wednesday and out yesterday, twice this week that i have had an overnight in 'the general' - hospital that is
Old 06 August 2010, 02:02 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The active ingredient in fabric softener is a chemical called ester quat which sets at about 25degC.

Fabric softener is a solution in water of ester quat, fragrance and colour.

Steve
Old 06 August 2010, 02:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

These modern concentrated softeners are a right pain in the ****:

The siphon tube on a our Miele keeps getting blocked up as its simply too thick. (noted by the drawer being full to the brim after its finished washing).

Luckily, I still have one "old fashioned" softener bottle which I can poor the concentrate in and dilute it 50:50 with water. This seems to have cured it.
Old 06 August 2010, 04:37 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
More importantly how is the speech writing going???

Is the big day this weekend? i cannot remember for the life of me, back into NGH Wednesday and out yesterday, twice this week that i have had an overnight in 'the general' - hospital that is
Not even started yet Paul - been trying to sort other stuff out today. I'll probably have to jot something boring down tonight
Old 06 August 2010, 04:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
These modern concentrated softeners are a right pain in the ****:

The siphon tube on a our Miele keeps getting blocked up as its simply too thick. (noted by the drawer being full to the brim after its finished washing).

Luckily, I still have one "old fashioned" softener bottle which I can poor the concentrate in and dilute it 50:50 with water. This seems to have cured it.
This is the issue we had. Nat (as she doesn't allow me to use my own washing machine) puts in the fabric softener to the max point and it has recently still all been there when finished. Hopefully todays little project has sorted it to an extent and I've got Asda's finest Smart Price vinegar causing lots of suds on a rinse wash as we speak.

Hopefully sqaved me £250-£300 on a new washing machine