Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fishing

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2010, 04:32 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing

Having given up golf now, I'm looking for a new hobby - as I used to fish (15 years ago) I'm tempted to have another go.

Do we have any avid anglers on here that could help me out with suggested starting equipment. I used to have rods, bait boxes, landing nets, keep nets etc, but as of right now I have nothing!

Not looking to go overnight fishing just yet. Also, I understand you cant just roll up to a lake or river and drop your line in anymore, you have to get licenses etc, can anyone shed any light on this too for me please?

Cheers

Fitz
Old 05 August 2010, 04:51 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I would speak to your local tackle shop and they will have all the information you need ie venues licences tackle bait etc etc
Old 05 August 2010, 05:44 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

I would say river/lake fishing is for girls.......

Get down the beach/pier and in the elements!

I have some experience here but only with sea angling if that helps
Old 05 August 2010, 06:12 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Having given up golf now, I'm looking for a new hobby - as I used to fish (15 years ago) I'm tempted to have another go.

Do we have any avid anglers on here that could help me out with suggested starting equipment. I used to have rods, bait boxes, landing nets, keep nets etc, but as of right now I have nothing!

Not looking to go overnight fishing just yet. Also, I understand you cant just roll up to a lake or river and drop your line in anymore, you have to get licenses etc, can anyone shed any light on this too for me please?

Cheers

Fitz
Have a word with "Trout"
Old 05 August 2010, 10:27 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Splosh!!!

I agree with the above advice - get to your local tackle shop - they will only be too happy to help!
Old 06 August 2010, 08:57 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob

Cheers

Fitz
For freshwater fishing you do need a licence from the Environment Agency even if fishing privately owned lakes, you needed one 15 years ago too

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ing/31497.aspx

Thinking about buying some new kit myself, loads of fisheries round where I live and the river Severn only half a mile away. Was an avid carp angler in my youth but don't think I'd have the patience or time for it these days so a bit of match type tackle, i.e. good float fishing / waggler rod and another for bottom fishing, swim feeders etc.

Tight lines

Trending Topics

Old 06 August 2010, 10:23 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Depends what you want to go fishing for? Carp/Pike/Game(fly)/other will all require different kit in terms of rods, reels and bait etc.

So what are you going after?
Thanks for all the replies.

To be fair, I hadnt really given it much thought as when I was a kid, one rod was all I needed - probably explains why I never caught that much!

I'll wander up to my local shop tonight and see what they suggest as a decent starter kit and go from there.
Old 06 August 2010, 11:32 AM
jabbawockymark
Scooby Regular

I carp fish all the time love it flick out my rods lay in my bed chair and wait for that big fat carp to grab and run ur alarm goes crazy then u leg it down the bank hit pow ur in better then any other fishing carping is the way to go fella trust me .......
Old 06 August 2010, 11:44 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jabbawockymark
I carp fish all the time love it flick out my rods lay in my bed chair and wait for that big fat carp to grab and run ur alarm goes crazy then u leg it down the bank hit pow ur in better then any other fishing carping is the way to go fella trust me .......
Sounds like the way forward!

With regards to gear and rods etc, are there any brands worth looking at in particular or staying away from? Having been away from the scene for so long I dont want to spend out on gear thats not right from the start.
Old 06 August 2010, 12:05 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Fitz,

where are you based? I am in York and know of a world class location very near here for barbel fishing. My very first visit there produced three fish between 8 and 12lbs!!!

Most visits get between three and seven fish, usually at least one over 7lbs!!

And it a £5 day ticket that no one seems to know about!!
Old 06 August 2010, 12:28 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Sounds idyllic! Unfortunately, I'm in sunny Hertfordshire so York is a bit of a run.

There are plenty of lakes nearby but I'm basically a beginner again so I dont want to roll up and cause havoc, I'm thinking about breaking myself in gently!

Its all come about because I do some work with a publisher who produces fishing books, and his magazine. I make some leather covered books for special editions for him. Who knows if it sticks, maybe I'll write my own!
Old 06 August 2010, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have been fishing since I was old enough to hold a fishing rod.

I have tried most styles from sea fishing off a boat to coarse fishing of all types, lake and rivers, fly fishing for trout in rivers and reservoirs and sea trout and salmon in the river.

It either suits you as a hobby or not, and the only way of course is to try it. Best to go to somewhere where you will definitely catch fish or you will be put off for life.

Trout's advice to go to a tackle shop and ask advice is the best. Most people will be honest enough not to rip you off and they will know the best places to go too.

Its a great hobby, very relaxing and sometimes highly exciting. An eleven pound fresh run sea trout leaping about on your line at around midnight when you are standing in the water up to your chest takes a bit of beating. They taste good too!

Les
Old 06 August 2010, 03:28 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

Fishing with alarms/bite indicators is not fishing, it's reeling. Catch the fish yourself, don't wait for it to get itself caught.

/Flame suit on
Old 06 August 2010, 04:23 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

rout's advice to go to a tackle shop and ask advice is the best. Most people will be honest enough not to rip you off and they will know the best places to go too.

Fishing with bite alarms is usually done over long periods of time ie days and sometimes weeks , So watching a float or quiver tip just isn't efficient enough a way of fishing to be honest .

I'm off on my yearly Sturgeon fishing trip on the mighty Fraser River - British Columbia in few weeks Last year we had 6 fish biggest 110lb which is small really , They go to over 1200lb
Old 06 August 2010, 08:45 PM
jabbawockymark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landings
Fishing with alarms/bite indicators is not fishing, it's reeling. Catch the fish yourself, don't wait for it to get itself caught.

/Flame suit on
lol na i do it for the rest mate cant be assed to stand there flicking a rod i like it when me alarm goes of,, u still got to land it so not all easy when theres a 35 on the other end and when ive been to the gym for 2 hours just wanna lay there and wait lol
Old 06 August 2010, 10:42 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Some pics from last years trip , We went first week in November, But have booked 2 days 2nd week in September this year.

I lost a real biggie last year as it ran towards the boat then started to jump I wasn't quick enough to react and with all the slack line the hook shed

Yeah and there is the " We need a bigger boat syndrome "

The Bait .... Salmon Roe tied up in nylon

The Boat (Jet powered )

A Baby Sturgeon

And another ... Note my Subaru hat Its been six years since I had a Subaru as well

Seal ... we are not too far from Vancouver and the Pacific (we stayed in Chilliwack BC )

And the biggest of the trip around - 100lb and 5 feet long still comparativly small but came in the last 30 mins on the last day

Old 06 August 2010, 10:50 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

This is the guide we went with , He is called Steve Kaye and knows the fish and river like the back of his hand , Definitely recommend him
http://www.sturgeonhunter.com/

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack
Old 07 August 2010, 12:22 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

We still have a 10 hour drive from Calgary , But its all through the Rockies and about 5 National parks , Obviously if you come from the UK you need to fly into Vancouver. Anyone into catching BIG fish I would definitely recommend the experience
Old 07 August 2010, 08:43 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Lad i employ has sorted a boat out and goes out to sea in it, he caught a ****load of mackerel with it last weekend, he said they had multiple hooks on the end of the line? (means nothing to me as i dont fish) and they were apparently pulling out 5 fish at a time

Said he caught a few cod as well but they were a bit small so he put them back.
Old 08 August 2010, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Lad i employ has sorted a boat out and goes out to sea in it, he caught a ****load of mackerel with it last weekend, he said they had multiple hooks on the end of the line? (means nothing to me as i dont fish) and they were apparently pulling out 5 fish at a time

Said he caught a few cod as well but they were a bit small so he put them back.
If you find a mackerel shoal they are very easy to catch. They will bite at anything,even a bare hook if it is shiny. They usually use a set of "feathers" which is a row of hooks each with coloured feathers attached and you only have to drop them into the shoal and pull them up and down.

Les