Lights to be turned off on M6

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 11:09 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights to be turned off on M6

Hi

I just saw this link about the lighting on the M6 being turned off, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-10672886

It lists reasons such as saving energy, low traffic, good safety record etc.

Now, I'm quite happy to drive on an unlit motorway and with the times mentioned I can't see affecting many people. But, is it not a bit two faced? We're constantly bombarded with 'speed kills', we can't use our phones, a multitude of ridiculous traffic calming measures and the one that really winds me up, 'if we can save one life it will be worth it'.

Well surely motorway lighting (that's already in place and working) is an important safety feature that might just save one life?

Disgruntled, North Yorks
Old 18 July 2010, 11:17 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with you there Bob. Around here the council replaced all of the roundabouts in the area with traffic lights and as a result they switch off the street lights on dangerous A rounds to save energy

The result is increased traffic because the lights don't work and regular accidents on the A roads You couldn't make it up! When the traffic lights are broken the traffic flows freely, with the traffic lights functioning perfectly the town is gridlocked

Give us back our roundabouts & switch the streetlights back on
Old 18 July 2010, 11:24 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Paulo P
I have to agree with you there Bob. Around here the council replaced all of the roundabouts in the area with traffic lights and as a result they switch off the street lights on dangerous A rounds to save energy

The result is increased traffic because the lights don't work and regular accidents on the A roads You couldn't make it up! When the traffic lights are broken the traffic flows freely, with the traffic lights functioning perfectly the town is gridlocked

Give us back our roundabouts & switch the streetlights back on
Our goony Council did worse than that. The put traffic lights on the biggest roundabouts. It's a wonder someone hasn't had a smash yet. The amount of cars hurtling from one set of lights to get to the turn off to find the next set have not changed and a traffic queue has formed. Also loads of folks have not noticed the lights (honestly) and just drive through them
Old 18 July 2010, 11:30 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet it's safer when the lights fail! I swear that the people that make these decisions either A) don't drive or B) don't drive in the areas they are focusing on
Old 18 July 2010, 11:31 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

In Derby, there is an roundabout called Spider island (presumably 'cos of the framework footbridge going over the top of it) which had lights put on it. It caused traffic chaos from the get go.

I remember the local radio station make a classic announcment one morning:
"The traffic lights at Spider Island are broken. Traffic is now flowing freely"
Old 18 July 2010, 11:41 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They never appear to have the traffic lights change in sequence with each other either.Quite often stationery at a roundabout lights on red,they change to green only for the next set of lights you approach no more than a few yards in front change from green to red.jnc 27 of the m62 i was passing through it last week,Gelderd or something,the amount of traffic lights they have off of that jnc is unbelievable,what absolute **** up that is..
Old 18 July 2010, 12:09 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I use J27 quite a bit...it's utterly crap and they've just spent a gazzilion dollars making it better. In fairness beforehand it was utterly uber beyond the realms of possibility crap!

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2010, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Hi

I just saw this link about the lighting on the M6 being turned off, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-10672886

It lists reasons such as saving energy, low traffic, good safety record etc.

Now, I'm quite happy to drive on an unlit motorway and with the times mentioned I can't see affecting many people. But, is it not a bit two faced? We're constantly bombarded with 'speed kills', we can't use our phones, a multitude of ridiculous traffic calming measures and the one that really winds me up, 'if we can save one life it will be worth it'.

Well surely motorway lighting (that's already in place and working) is an important safety feature that might just save one life?

Disgruntled, North Yorks
I don't see any real problem with an unlit motorway. The car's lights surely should be adequate and I don't see that it should be responsible for more accidents than in daylight! I am sure it would save a good bit of cash too.

It is fair to say that if you are going to have an accident, then the faster you are going, the more difficult it is to avoid it and the extra speed will cause a worse overall result.

It is true that using a phone while driving will distract the attention and is an unsafe habit to say the least.

I agree about the speed humps etc. They cause long term damage to a car and a far better way to slow drivers is to put a flashing speeding sign up telling you how fast you were going and also a strategically placed speedcam which will slow people down whether there is a camera in it or not.

Les
Old 19 July 2010, 12:33 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
In Derby, there is an roundabout called Spider island (presumably 'cos of the framework footbridge going over the top of it) which had lights put on it. It caused traffic chaos from the get go.

I remember the local radio station make a classic announcment one morning:
"The traffic lights at Spider Island are broken. Traffic is now flowing freely"

Theres 1 like that near my Garn's in Nottingham. You can take a multitude of exits, or go straight through the middle!!! Looks like a Christmas tree with all the lights on it. Its on the A52

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=NG9...and,%20NG9%204