Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HMRC.........thieves.

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2010, 03:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down HMRC.........thieves.

Just been into the local Tax office with my lad. My youngest claimed tax back three weeks ago, but has heard nowt. Apparently it takes SIX weeks But owe THEM any money???????

Meanwhile, the eldest, who is out of work, keeps getting temporary short time work. He's been taxed at at emergency rate, code 341W.

He's asked if he can claim back any tax he has overpaid, but apparently he can't until he is issued a proper tax code and THAT won't happen until he has PERMANENT work.
So there we have it: the needy are overtaxed and can't have it back until they aren't needy any more. What a complete b*llox of a sytem
Old 14 July 2010, 03:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to importance, the people have not got a hope!

Les
Old 14 July 2010, 04:16 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

We're bankrupt. The Govt need your money. Is it really any surprise?

Sorry to hear about your kids. Not good at all.
Old 14 July 2010, 04:16 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm the same - I'm due a tax refund. Think it's been about a month now and I haven't heard a thing. Will wait a few more weeks and then get on the phone to them.
Old 14 July 2010, 05:39 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just been into the local Tax office with my lad. My youngest claimed tax back three weeks ago, but has heard nowt. Apparently it takes SIX weeks But owe THEM any money???????

Meanwhile, the eldest, who is out of work, keeps getting temporary short time work. He's been taxed at at emergency rate, code 341W.

He's asked if he can claim back any tax he has overpaid, but apparently he can't until he is issued a proper tax code and THAT won't happen until he has PERMANENT work.
So there we have it: the needy are overtaxed and can't have it back until they aren't needy any more. What a complete b*llox of a sytem
Bit of a strange tax code for your eldest

Have a read here, might help http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm

I am sure if he completes a P46, he will be able to get the correct tax code.
You can print a P46 off the above website. Good luck
Old 14 July 2010, 06:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

They aren't theives, they are just incompetent.

You will get some woman on the phone adamant that she is correct in what she says. I ring off and do a quick check, nope, she's talking a load of cobblers. I ring up again, get another idiot, who then says something else and is adamant that this is correct, I check again, nope load of rubbish, ring back again....etc. etc.

And one wonders why the government is struggling to raise tax revenue, with these people running teh show. Can you imagine how much tax revenue they miss out on with all the cash-based businesses (pizzas, taxi etc) and ebayers that are on the fiddle?

I'm pretty sure if one checks properly your one son can get a refund. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/stop-work-refund.htm#1

And I'm pretty certain if you owned a sum for a period of time you are entitled to recieve interest on any payment oweing...sometimes they "forget" the interest, make sure its there.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 July 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2010, 07:58 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Hmmm. Just to add some balance, I was owed some dosh by the taxman, which was claimed via my tax return for last year. Got a cheque within 2 weeks of my accountant sending the form off(posted online anyway). So miracles can happen!

Dave
I had exactly the same
Old 14 July 2010, 10:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well, there we are then: two people who HAVE, given money back in two weeks.

My lads, who HAVEN'T, made to wait, and wait and wait and wait..........
Old 14 July 2010, 10:36 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
They aren't theives, they are just incompetent.
Ignoring the irony, what do you expect? Nobody wants to pay for good public services, so we shouldn't be surprised when they employ idiots!
Old 15 July 2010, 12:04 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Daryl
Ignoring the irony, what do you expect? Nobody wants to pay for good public services, so we shouldn't be surprised when they employ idiots!
They are a right dozy lot though, to be fair. I often walk past the DSS building whilst walking the dog. The amount of them supposed to be working overtime, that have their computers on Facebook beggars belief. My pal who works there, says they do not have access. I have seen it.
I will take a pic for her next time I walk past
You can speak to 3 different people in the same department and get 3 different answers. You need a degree in moron to work for the civil service
Old 15 July 2010, 12:30 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
You need a degree in moron to work for the civil service
Now I know how to get promoted to Inspector and above!
Old 15 July 2010, 03:45 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Alcazar - The most important thing you can do is take names. Make an appointment with your sons, go down to the office, get names and start taking notes. If the person on the other side of the desk knows what they are doing, they will sort ouy out in 20 minutes. If the are standard HMRC boot camp zombies, they will start sh1tting themselves and get a supervisor. Whne the supervisor arrives, take a name and start taking notes...... ad infinitum
Old 15 July 2010, 07:08 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee247
You need a degree in moron to work for the civil service
Well someone has to employ the products of the Polytechnocracy.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:05 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

How else do you expect to keep ex asylum seakers in London mansions and Eastern Europeans in 4/5 bed council houses, clothes and mobile phones and fonzie style leather jackets - you and your family are just plain selfish!

It seems anyone who works is just seen a cash cow for the treasury who do seem to waste money hand over foot on the wrong things

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 July 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:19 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
How else do you expect to keep ex asylum seakers in London mansions and Eastern Europeans in 4/5 bed council houses, clothes and mobile phones and fonzie style leather jackets - you and your family are just plain selfish!

It seems anyone who works is just seen a cash cow for the treasury who do seem to waste money hand over foot on the wrong things
I think Gordon has gone mate.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I get the impression that so many of those in public service were employed by NL deliberately to reduce the unemployment figures and to effectively buy votes.

Les
Old 15 July 2010, 09:04 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
I think Gordon has gone mate.
Holy cr@p, when did this happen!*??!?? i really must try keep up with current affairs!!!
And we will live with his legacy for some time, in case you are not aware; when the new government takes over they are left with the old goventments policies, god and bad decisions, bank balances, etc and they do not start with a wiped clean slate
Old 15 July 2010, 10:31 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I still owe them 3k

Owed them about 6k, got that down to 2k, then another 1k was added on, mehh, the ****ers can wait another 11 months or so (266 quid per month payment plan)
Old 15 July 2010, 11:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I get the impression that so many of those in public service were employed by NL deliberately to reduce the unemployment figures and to effectively buy votes.

Les
Nooo? Surely not?

I mean, you only get AN IMPRESSION of that?
Old 15 July 2010, 11:43 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Maybe so in some areas, but NL closed most of the local tax offices. In effect, all the staff who knew what they were doing have been dumped for the cheaper option of call centre operators with no experience.
Old 15 July 2010, 12:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And you try ringing them on the number their website gives you............
Old 15 July 2010, 12:35 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

"The House of Commons public accounts committee published a report on 25 March 2010 on how HMRC is handling telephone enquiries.

The Committee concluded that HMRC’s performance in responding to calls has been poor. In 2008/09 the department only answered 57% of the 103 million calls to its main helplines, compared to an “industry standard” of 95%"

Of course, it will only get worse as the Coalition reduces the HMRC budget by another 40%...
Old 15 July 2010, 04:54 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Holy cr@p, when did this happen!*??!?? i really must try keep up with current affairs!!!
And we will live with his legacy for some time, in case you are not aware; when the new government takes over they are left with the old goventments policies, god and bad decisions, bank balances, etc and they do not start with a wiped clean slate
Unfortunately you are quite correct, and by the time the **** has been sorted out, the thick electorate will probably vote the tax and spenders back in.
Old 15 July 2010, 05:46 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I've just completed my self assessment though my accountant and had the repayment cheque through within a week of submission. Yes, I've had to pay the accountant but at least its sorted quickly - mine is very straight forward and the fact its submitted through the accountant could explain why its sorted so quickly. I suspect it would have taken longer if I'd submitted it myself.

It does seem that if its claim is made online via an accountant then the repayments are issued quickly, probably because HMRC are less likely to look closely into it and have less checking/verifying to do.

Sorry, no consolation I know, hope its sorted soon for him.

Gareth

Last edited by GarethE; 15 July 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 16 July 2010, 03:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nooo? Surely not?

I mean, you only get AN IMPRESSION of that?
I was being diplomatic-as ever!

Les
Old 16 July 2010, 03:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
Maybe so in some areas, but NL closed most of the local tax offices. In effect, all the staff who knew what they were doing have been dumped for the cheaper option of call centre operators with no experience.
Wonder why they did that. Not like them surely! They rarely think about saving money.

Les