Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Concordes Last Flight

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2010, 06:16 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concordes Last Flight

Surprised no-ones mentioned it given all the aviation fans on here, but tonight 9pm on C4 is

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsSe...s_fullpage.jsp
Old 12 July 2010, 07:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, looking forward to this
Old 12 July 2010, 07:40 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Also on 4HD
Old 12 July 2010, 08:09 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

It was on sky tv two weeks ago
Old 12 July 2010, 09:26 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Recording it, It should never have been stopped from flying, IMHO!!!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 12 July 2010, 09:40 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I used to work at H/Row when she was flying. EVERY time the whole place just stopped to watch her go down the runway ... happy days

TX.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:31 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It is a real shame that these days have ended. Its even more of a shame that a certificate of airworthiness cannot be acquired so that it can fly at airshows. There is no way they should have been left to just rot
Old 12 July 2010, 10:31 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

God what a beautiful aircraft that was
Old 12 July 2010, 11:36 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I am so glad I witnessed a Concorde flying in the air. I cannot think of any other vehicle that was built in the 70s that still looked as futuristic as they did. It's a total shame that they cannot fly now.

What really boils my **** is when you consider the amount of money wasted on fighting Wars that can never be won, missiles that can never be fired and scroungers that will never work. For a fraction of that cost, this airplane could still be flying..........absolute joke..........
Old 13 July 2010, 12:07 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

At least Concorde has been replaced with something better, faster, etc...oh
Old 13 July 2010, 12:48 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Bigger

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.co...rlinesa380.jpg

TX.
Old 13 July 2010, 01:48 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
I am so glad I witnessed a Concorde flying in the air. I cannot think of any other vehicle that was built in the 70s that still looked as futuristic as they did. It's a total shame that they cannot fly now.

What really boils my **** is when you consider the amount of money wasted on fighting Wars that can never be won, missiles that can never be fired and scroungers that will never work. For a fraction of that cost, this airplane could still be flying..........absolute joke..........
...helicopters that cannot be flown...
Old 13 July 2010, 07:21 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Why can't it ever be granted a certificate of airworthiness when it had just had all that work done?
Old 13 July 2010, 07:38 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I must admit I had a lump in my throat watching that programme.

Maybe the Vulcan to the Sky Trust should change to Vulcan and Concorde to the Sky - especially as they use the same engines

Is a real shame and gutted I never got to travel on it. The girlfriends parents did albeit only to Paris for a day trip but with supersonic blast out into the atlantic en route.

Used to remember the shelves rattling at my parents house in Bude on the coast of Cornwall due to the sonic boom.

What about the yanks saying the only reason they didnt bother with a supersonic airliner is that the numbers didnt work. Has never stopped them showboating before. And as shown it could make a decent profit with the right sales model.

I didnt realise the final nail in the coffin was 9/11 in terms of them losing a large chunk of regular customers and the decline in transatlantic passengers.

Simon
Old 13 July 2010, 08:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll have to catch this on 4OD, I managed to get a return trip to New York on Airmiles.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:14 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I said to the wife while watching it ..I wonder what happened to the french planes ....
Then later in the program they showed a picture of one sitting in what looked like an aircraft grave yard ....

At least the British ones are being cared for in some sort of way.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:14 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I said to the wife while watching it ..I wonder what happened to the french planes ....
Then later in the program they showed a picture of one sitting in what looked like an aircraft grave yard ....

At least the British ones are being cared for in some sort of way.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:16 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Should have let Virgin take them over.... Im sure he would have made them make money.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:20 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

An interesting prog. I saw the last take off and landing from EGCC. Will never forget being in the car park at LHR on one of my very first proper days at work picking up a hire car when I heard this noise... looked to the runway just as she came past at about 200 knots! I almost **** myself!
Glad to have seen her fly as I think it will be the only time in my lifetime there is a commercial supersonic aircraft that can land and take off at normal airports.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:29 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Great program.

I googled a few images and will order either the red arrows one, or the photo of it over Clifton Suspension bridge for the study.
Old 13 July 2010, 09:18 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

We took a step backwards that day. But what do you expect in a world where finance rules over technological advancement.

Was in Bath on the last week of service. One of them was late throttling back (deliberate I hope) as it came up the Bristol channel. First and only time I've heard the sonic booms. Awesome.

Saw the last flight leave LHR for Filton a few weeks later. A sad day.
Old 13 July 2010, 11:13 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

slight edit on my post due to not bein accurate, 15m has been spent to get the engines back to airworthyness for a memorial plane

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8712806.stm

Last edited by Tidgy; 13 July 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 13 July 2010, 11:58 AM
retroDJ
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Fabioso
I cannot think of any other vehicle that was built in the 70s that still looked as futuristic as they did.

It was built in the 60's mate - first flight after years of testing and designing was 1969!! It then started its 27 years of service in 1976 - I know what you mean by futuristic, even if it was designed and built in this day and age i doubt it would look anymore astonishing!

Fantastic programme.

Superb airoplane.

Cheers
Old 13 July 2010, 12:01 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Has it ever been calculated what the cost would be to keep a concorde flight worthy per year ?

I think the national lottery should cough up the money, concorde is one of the greatest feats of engineering in history that needs to be preserved in a flight worthy condition.

Correct me if i`m wrong here, from the footage ive seen on sky in the past and on channel 4 last night it always seemed to be the Air France concorde's that went wrong. Another Air France concorde had an almost identical problem to the one that crashed, were the Air France concorde's not maintained to the same standards as ours with so many issues that seeemed to appear like with the missing spacer etc ?

I enjoyed the programme.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 13 July 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:05 PM
Scooby Hoo?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonny_693
Why can't it ever be granted a certificate of airworthiness when it had just had all that work done?

The reason an airworthiness certificate can't be granted is because after the last flights all Concorde's had the hydraulic fluids drained off. Some people believe that this was a deliberate act to stop Richard Branson purchasing two and doing what BA could not afford to do. This allowed air to contaminate all the pipe work and to get a Concorde back into service would require the replacement of the hydraulic pipework. This is not an economical proposition as the whole plane would need to be taken apart. But perhaps one day in the future, like the Spitfire we may be privalidged to see one in the sky's again.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very clever design, especially aerodynamically in the way they learned how to generate the vortices to allow it to land at a reasonable speed as well as cruise at such a high Mach number without having to change the wing shape. Like our other big delta it was able to move the centre of gravity back and forth by shifting fuel around to be able to cope with the large movement of the centre of lift throughout its large speed range.

It was a great advance at the time and it is a shame that they have not been able to keep one flying.

They managed to transport one from Heathrow to the Brooklands Air Museum. It had to be taken apart to do it but they have rebuilt it such that you would think that they flew it in there. Can't see the joins and it looks like new. You can get on board and see the cockpit with excellent commentaries about the aircraft.

Les
Old 13 July 2010, 12:20 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

I feel its better to let the legend lie.

Seeing the Vulcan back in the air brought a lump to my throat, but to preserve its longevity it simply can't perform the way they did when I was a kid. I'm a huge advocate for not letting things gather dust in museums, but sometimes memories are better.
Old 13 July 2010, 12:45 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying as was at Yeovilton on Saturday and saw XH558. Whilst impressive still it would be far more impressive at full chat rather than be out-louded by F16's. At least we have the memories as others will not so at least get a glimpse of what all the passion is about.

I think the idea of flying concorde in the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony would be brilliant. Surely they can direct a decent wedge of lottery funding toward that.

Simon
Old 13 July 2010, 01:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

BA refused to sell them to branson, considerinf the tax payer paid for them i think BA acted discracefully, should have sold them for £1 like they bought them for.

also should add branson did try to buy them but BA wouldn;t allow it
Old 13 July 2010, 02:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I know what your saying as was at Yeovilton on Saturday and saw XH558. Whilst impressive still it would be far more impressive at full chat rather than be out-louded by F16's. At least we have the memories as others will not so at least get a glimpse of what all the passion is about.

I think the idea of flying concorde in the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony would be brilliant. Surely they can direct a decent wedge of lottery funding toward that.

Simon
It is very disappointing to see how tightly restricted the Vulcan is in the type of display it is allowed to do. There is no structural reason why it cannot do an original style of display. It was never necessary to rack the aircraft around with high G forces anyway, in fact it looked far better to demonstrate the grace with which it could be flown to the large pitch and bank angles in the air. It is a shame that the use of the engine power is also heavily restricted in order to reduce wear and increase engine life. The aircraft would probably perform much better than it used to anyway with the very large reduction in its basic weight with the removal of all the operational equipment.

Still good to see her in the air anyway!

Les

Quick Reply: Concordes Last Flight