Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed on Green camera

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2010, 12:29 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed on Green camera

Not sure how many there are in the country but we have one in Poole and it seems to be causing a bit of controversy.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-road-row.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...placement.html
Old 08 July 2010, 12:49 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty on the A580 Liverpool to Manchester.
Old 08 July 2010, 01:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You know, there was a time when I thought these things were a plain menace to road users. BUT With the increasing amount of idiot driver who just can't pay attention to their driving and what is happening arond them, I see them nowadays as only catching rubbish driver who aren't paying attention. Call it a stupidity tax if you will. The only thing I'm against is the revenue earnt doesn't go back into our road infrastructure.

In the end of the day, they are huge and brightly coloured (unlike the ones in Spain) so really if you don't see it or not aware of the speed limit, then maybe one should be fined for not paying attention? OK, I don't like it when they hide them (which is rare these days), and when they purposely lower limits for no valid reason. Hell, I spent the best part of a year in Spain driving past a hidden speed camera without realising and was never fined (they sign post them now), mainly because I kept to the speed limit. Am I lucky or was it because I observed the law?

What annoys me more is people who slow down for them even when going below the posted speed limit, there have been times during quiet periods I have actually overtaken them - sometimes the look on their faces was priceless.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 July 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08 July 2010, 01:40 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
You know, there was a time when I thought these things were a plain menace to road users. BUT With the increasing amount of idiot driver who just can't pay attention to their driving and what is happening arond them, I see them nowadays as only catching rubbish driver who aren't paying attention. Call it a stupidity tax if you will. The only thing I'm against is the revenue earnt doesn't go back into our road infrastructure.

In the end of the day, they are huge and brightly coloured (unlike the ones in Spain) so really if you don't see it or not aware of the speed limit, then maybe one should be fined for not paying attention? OK, I don't like it when they hide them (which is rare these days), and when they purposely lower limits for no valid reason. Hell, I spent the best part of a year in Spain driving past a hidden speed camera without realising and was never fined (they sign post them now), mainly because I kept to the speed limit. Am I lucky or was it because I observed the law?

What annoys me more is people who slow down for them even when going below the posted speed limit, there have been times during quiet periods I have actually overtaken them - sometimes the look on their faces was priceless.
Yeah, unfortunately they don't appear to have designed stupidity detecting cameras yet
Old 08 July 2010, 02:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thankfully this forum doesn't have any bad spelling/grammar detecting cameras yet

Old 08 July 2010, 04:16 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Thankfully this forum doesn't have any bad spelling/grammar detecting cameras yet

haha
Old 09 July 2010, 03:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people will slow to less than the speed limit because they don't trust the cameras to get it right every time. I know they dont need to but it is still understandable when they don't understand how they work, or suspect their own speedo might be reading slow.

Les