Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Digital box plugged into NTL phoneline

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2002, 09:03 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J

I thought that the Sky box just sees a phone connection, and is not bothered what it is. After all, as you say, they all share alot of cables anyway !! I will try the ntl socket, but at the moment it is over the other side of the room to where the Digibox is. I will run an extension cable over there when I need it.

Funniest thing was the guy i spoke to:

Me: I have never had the box plugged in to a BT phone line, as I had ntl installed 4 days after the Sky install and the Digibox is wired into the BT socket which is dead.
Sky: Well you will have problems then, we need to contact your box 2-3 times a month.
Me: What for ?
Sky: To monitor it.
Me: What happens if you cant contact it ?
Sky: Well we can cancel the contract, but we will know you havent got it connected and contact you first.
Me: So how long does it take you to find out its not connected ?
Sky: We can do it instantly.
Me: Sorry, can you tell me how long I have had a Sky account ?
Sky: Since Dec 2001 sir.
Me: Right.

Chimp.

Dave

P.S. Did you get the table ok ?

[Edited by druddle - 4/1/2002 9:33:58 PM]
Old 04 January 2002, 09:22 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

I unplugged the digi box from my phone socket as soon as the engineer had left, he said that sky uses it to dial into the digi box to download new software...b0ll0cks
The box will dial out every so often and download your viewing details etc so they can use the info for marketing purposes(so I'm told)

I have had my present Sky account for 14months & no problems about phone not being connected. Think its used for the interactive shopping thing?

At xmas I ordered the "STEPS LIVE IN CONCERT" pay per view for my daughter using the Sky remote control and it worked...don't know how it did it without the phone line?

BOB

And how the he11 can they dial into it? If mine was connected to a phone line and they tried to contact it, my phone would ring and be answered by me not the digi box, or if I'm out the answer phone would pick it up, so they are talking cr@p IMHO

[Edited by WRXBOB - 4/1/2002 9:26:32 PM]
Old 04 February 2002, 01:13 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Whoops

[Edited by kelvin - 4/3/2002 2:14:04 AM]
Old 01 April 2002, 04:26 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

When I moved in the Sky installation guy plumbed my box to a BT phone socket i have. I had not had the phone connected then and when i did i went with NTL. So the box has never been plugged into the phone line.

Just ordered a movie by phone and the Sky man said that their boxes wont work through NTL phone lines. Is this true ? Am i going to have to get BT connected to get Sky Box Office to work ?

Dave
Old 01 April 2002, 04:36 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Works fine for me with an NTL phone line. Installation engineer tried to convince me that the box wouldn't work if it was connected to a trailing extension socket (power, not telephone line ), only if plugged into the wall socket. I pointed out that the 230V AC that comes out of the trailing socket is the same as the stuff that comes out of the wall, and lo and behold it worked.
Old 01 April 2002, 06:31 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Talking

Take no notice of them mate,Im on NTL phone and use Sky Dig.All works fine....

........and that trailing lead comment is a joke,what some people expect you to believe?!!

Steve
Old 01 April 2002, 07:12 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave,

On our estate I have a sneaking suspicion that some NTL lines use their cable , whereas some like my house have NTL lines terminating on BT copper.

whatever the mix, the Sky box does not see BT or NTL just an closed loop line ready to use.

If you have an extension try the NTL, it will work.

J
Old 01 April 2002, 08:35 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

It dials Sky.
It is used for the interactive shopping, games, and email stuff.
You can order box office events without it being connected to your phone line until you reach your credit limit. Then it will try to call Sky to clear down your credit. If it can't call, you end up calling their call centre.
Old 02 April 2002, 10:21 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Dave,

Tables up .......and looking fine

J
Old 02 April 2002, 01:17 PM
SteveM
Scooby Regular

From what I understand all Sky Tv guide info software are upgraded via the satelitte link.

When you are plugged into the phone line the internal modem senses the phone line voltage which in turn enables you to order pay per view products without having to phone up Sky.

Then periodically, say once a month Sky download your pay per view program info from the digibox harddrive via the phone line and bill you for it.

I know this because I've heard of people rigging their digibox to think there is a phone line connected were there isn't so you can order stuff and not pay for it. The items are still logged on the harddrive but obviously Sky cannot download the info. Problem is you can never plug your system into the phone line again.

Don't ask me how because
A. I don't know and B. I Wouldn't broadcast it on here or any other forum anyway.

Sorry folks

Steve

Old 03 April 2002, 01:12 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Cool

I stand corrected

Kelvin