Tough on Crime?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2010, 12:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Tough on Crime?

Not under the Tories!!

They are about to give the ****** who steals your car, who damages your car and who run riot on the streets a slap wristie!!

NL locked the buggers up!!

The Tories are about to let them all out ..... this is what you get - don't say I didn't warn you!
Old 30 June 2010, 12:15 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have that big wooden spoon in your hand again pete
Old 30 June 2010, 12:19 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed - and they are now less police to catch them with less money

and...........

Did you know the probation service now get money awarded on how many people they can keep out of jail. So the police recommend a remand in custody, probation (who have the final say) say no. Or people who breach their licence (early release) should go straight back to jail to finish their sentence - not any more.

If Alan Clarke wants more community orders – can they be done at his house then.....

Why is it that the desert jail in America can run on next to no money – yet over here it’s costing thousands.

Plenty of places in Afghanistan for them all – give them a pogo stick and tell them to clear a road.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:19 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed - and they are now less police to catch them with less money

and...........

Did you know the probation service now get money awarded on how many people they can keep out of jail. So the police recommend a remand in custody, probation (who have the final say) say no. Or people who breach their licence (early release) should go straight back to jail to finish their sentence - not any more.

If Alan Clarke wants more community orders – can they be done at his house then.....

Why is it that the desert jail in America can run on next to no money – yet over here it’s costing thousands.

Plenty of places in Afghanistan for them all – give them a pogo stick and tell them to clear a road.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Quiet day at the nursing Home today pete?
Old 30 June 2010, 12:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

So Felix do you believe that jail will be more or less likely to lead them to committing more crime when they are released?

I'd support community service but only if it well organised, hard graft, disciplined and useful to the community. Like collecting litter from motorways, repairing potholes or clearing up storm damage etc etc.

I had some experience of supervising a community service team of no-gooders and it was a complete joke. dl
Old 30 June 2010, 12:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

NL were tough on crime .. tough on the causes of crime - the Tories have now announced that they aren't going to lock up those we do not wish to share our streets with!!

I never, ever thought I would see the Tories going all lilly livered to be honest.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:45 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If only we had the money to build more prisons

Do you propose we borrow more money to do this? Because that's what NL would of done
Old 30 June 2010, 12:47 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

There is no point in them going to prison, it's like going to a better version of a butlins holiday camp! Half the time they are in there getting stoned with their mates.

There is no rehabilitation process, so save the taxpayers money. Six months in prison will do naff all.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:47 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

There is no point in them going to prison, it's like going to a better version of a butlins holiday camp! Half the time they are in there getting stoned with their mates.

There is no rehabilitation process, so save the taxpayers money. Six months in prison will do naff all.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:49 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
NL were tough on crime .. tough on the causes of crime - the Tories have now announced that they aren't going to lock up those we do not wish to share our streets with!!

I never, ever thought I would see the Tories going all lilly livered to be honest.
Why are you so worried about certain people in the community?
Old 30 June 2010, 12:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Building more Prisons would give lots of people work! Would take more scum off our streets, would release homes for those we want to have them, would put money back into the community .............. let's make Prison hard - remove TV's and mobile phones and playstations, close the gyms and swimming pools, burn the snooker tables and sack the 'reform officers'!!

NL were tough on crime - the Tories have gone all soft!

Last edited by pslewis; 30 June 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 01:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont lets forget Petes one of these that advocates increasing scummers dole cheque by a factor of 3 so they wont be tempeted to go out stealing
Old 30 June 2010, 01:49 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

But you a seem to have over looked my question pete?

How are they going to afford all these
New prisons?

It's just a yet another knock on effect they've got from new labia.

You claim labour was tough on criminals but you've just contradicted yourself by wanting the televisions and snooker tables taken out.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Building more Prisons would give lots of people work! Would take more scum off our streets, would release homes for those we want to have them, would put money back into the community .............. let's make Prison hard - remove TV's and mobile phones and playstations, close the gyms and swimming pools, burn the snooker tables and sack the 'reform officers'!!

I'm sorry but you don't know what the Tories WILL/MIGHT/CAN do in the future. I do know that 'NL' were allowing people to have games consoles in there. They were allowing them to do gcse's and pretty much take what they could for free. I'd rather them be at the jobcentre or careers office paying thier way like everyone else does.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 30 June 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:18 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
So Felix do you believe that jail will be more or less likely to lead them to committing more crime when they are released?

I'd support community service but only if it well organised, hard graft, disciplined and useful to the community. Like collecting litter from motorways, repairing potholes or clearing up storm damage etc etc.

I had some experience of supervising a community service team of no-gooders and it was a complete joke. dl
According to QI...
USA inmates work for 25c a day, making almost all military helmets and flak jackets plus loads of other stuff. Inmates who refuse work are "rewarded" with solitary confinement. The above illustrates why America can have a basic manufacturing industry in the face of competition from SE Asia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7wgFcCefE

Watch from about two minutes in for the stats etc...
Old 30 June 2010, 02:28 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deary me. Unproductive work it might be added. Where do you suppose the extra money to build these prisons and pay these public sector workers comes from? This is at the same time as you'd no doubt criticise the government for their poor economic progress.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:33 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
According to QI...
USA inmates work for 25c a day, making almost all military helmets and flak jackets plus loads of other stuff. Inmates who refuse work are "rewarded" with solitary confinement. The above illustrates why America can have a basic manufacturing industry in the face of competition from SE Asia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7wgFcCefE

Watch from about two minutes in for the stats etc...
Exactly, they know what they are there for. Over here it's like staying in a hotel.
Old 30 June 2010, 03:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Exactly, they know what they are there for. Over here it's like staying in a hotel.
sounds better than a hotel tbh

if they just made prison more like a Travel Lodge it would be start

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 June 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 04:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Pete how is having decent quality meals 3 times a day, Xbox's to play on and Sky tv to watch whilst in prison "tough on crime"
Old 30 June 2010, 04:41 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Pete how is having decent quality meals 3 times a day, Xbox's to play on and Sky tv to watch whilst in prison "tough on crime"
That's just his selective memory comes with old age apparently
Old 30 June 2010, 04:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not under the Tories!!

They are about to give the ****** who steals your car, who damages your car and who run riot on the streets a slap wristie!!

NL locked the buggers up!!

The Tories are about to let them all out ..... this is what you get - don't say I didn't warn you!
The original softies on crime were your heros' mates of course, all the extreme lefty PC Plonkers who were all for the crims' human rights etc. and who made life in gaol such a breeze with all the home comforts etc., including supplies of drugs to the addicts.

I find it difficult to understand Clarke's attitude as though he is a lefty PC Plonker of the first water himself! How on earth is he going to re-habilitate a dyed in the wool crim anyway? They will be laughing behind their hands all the way to the fence's place with their ill gotten gains! We already know the the social behaviour orders are useless to prevent or deter criminal behaviour.

The reason behind it all seems pretty obvious to me, and that is that they are looking for financial savings. This is one area where I believe this would be a mistake.

I think prison should go back to the way it always was, an unpleasant place to spend any time with no special favours at all, and a good dose of hard labour to go with it. They would be cheaper to run like that too.

It has to be a believable deterrent and that is the only way I reckon.

Les
Old 30 June 2010, 04:54 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

NL tough on crime?????? Come on where have you been?
Have you not read any of the newspapers over the last few years?
Old 30 June 2010, 05:51 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think prison should go back to the way it always was, an unpleasant place to spend any time with no special favours at all, and a good dose of hard labour to go with it. They would be cheaper to run like that too.

It has to be a believable deterrent and that is the only way I reckon.

Les
The only reason to do that would be to save money. Thieving scum tend to be thieving scum. The re-offending rates haven't changed but the costs have spiralled.

The trouble with the 'community sentencing' is that while prison doesn't work, it does at least keep the flth away from decent people for a bit.

To my mind we need to follow the ideals of Sheriff Joe (said it before but google the dude if you don't know what i mean). Saved a fortune, prison isn't nice, re-offending rates the same.

5t.
Old 30 June 2010, 06:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
You claim labour was tough on criminals but you've just contradicted yourself by wanting the televisions and snooker tables taken out.
NL were tough ... I would be tougher ... no conradiction at all ...

The Tories are being soft - disgrace!
Old 30 June 2010, 06:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
I'm sorry but you don't know what the Tories WILL/MIGHT/CAN do in the future. I do know that 'NL' were allowing people to have games consoles in there. They were allowing them to do gcse's and pretty much take what they could for free. I'd rather them be at the jobcentre or careers office paying thier way like everyone else does.
Very naive of you .... they will, of course, be round your house stealing the Scooby off you!!

But, go ahead, support the Tories idea of not locking scum up!
Old 30 June 2010, 06:30 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

At what point, and who decided, that the role of prison was to rehabilitate?

This is a lie.

The role of prison is to protect the general public (whilst the criminal is in their care) and has a 100% success rate. It is there to incarcerate, and to deny a person, judged by their peers, in accordance with law, their freedom and liberty. That is all.
Old 30 June 2010, 07:06 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I didn't realise Scoobynet was so full of ex-convicts : there's a lot of people who seem very knowledgeable about prison conditions. Obviously they've experienced it first-hand and not just read a Daily Mail article.
Old 30 June 2010, 07:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Deary me. Unproductive work it might be added. Where do you suppose the extra money to build these prisons and pay these public sector workers comes from? This is at the same time as you'd no doubt criticise the government for their poor economic progress.
Unproductive work?

Building?

Old 30 June 2010, 07:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
while prison doesn't work, it does at least keep the flth away from decent people for a bit.
5t.
Spot on ............. but, no, the Tories want them walking the streets again!!

Quick Reply: Tough on Crime?