Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone 4 question

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2010, 08:55 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPhone 4 question

o2 have confirmed that if I get a sim free phone they will simply give me a micro sim on the same deal I'm on now.

Which is a much better tariff than the new ones on offer.

So I'm on the list at the local apple store.

Had another play with one yesterday in store and I'm liking it more and more. Speed, funtionality, ergonomics, the screen.

Not worried about the signal dropping issue as I'll put a bumper or a case on it anyway.

Cost will in part be offset as I'll either sell my current iPhone or give it to Mrs DD saving the cost of upgrading her to an iphone.

So, the question is. For those of you who have them, is it less/more than youexpected and why?

Cheers in advance
Old 30 June 2010, 10:50 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering where the question was amongst all that guff

Better because:

1. The screen is just god damn smack you in the face gorgeous. You just have to pull up an app that you used to use on the older iphone to see the difference

2. The camera, both still and video is far in excess of what I thought it would be. I knew it was going to be an improvement on my 3G one, but didnt realise how good. The video is awesome as well, clarity great and the way it copes with contrast between bright light and shadows is very good indeed.
*only issue I have is because of the form factor of the phone, it is quite easy to place your finger or thumb over the lens but maybe that is just me with my fat sausage fingers

3. Multi-tasking. Yes it was well overdue but with the fast processor, it rocks. Simple

Downsides so far.

Signal issue is a niggle but seems to be not a major problem and is random.
Lack of decent cases on the market so far.

Apart from that, all good
Old 30 June 2010, 11:56 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swiss pretty somes it up tbh. There's rumours of apple releasing firmware update to sort reception issues.

I got my case from the o2 store the gear4 one. Rubber round the sides and clear back along with a screen protector I can't complain.

One thing Swiss didn't mention how much better the battery is compared to the 3gs
Old 30 June 2010, 12:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'd like to comment, but instead I'll moan that Canada still doesn't have the iPhone 4. Rogers sent out a great email about the iPhone 4, informing people they will carry it, but they still don't know when it's out or how much it'll cost, or what the tariffs will be, and don't call customer support as they don't know anything either.

Part of the annoyance is that it would be nice to have a device to test our apps on. As we found with the iPad, some things only appear on device and not in the simulator.

Will I be getting one when they go on sale? Perhaps. I'm going to wait until the office has some, so I can have a proper play and decide if it's much better than my 3GS. I don't use the 3GS that much, so paying for another phone that I won't use that much is a tad foolish. I'm a bit "meh" about the iPhone / iPad at the moment given that I use the things on a daily basis.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:17 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
Swiss pretty somes it up tbh. There's rumours of apple releasing firmware update to sort reception issues.

I got my case from the o2 store the gear4 one. Rubber round the sides and clear back along with a screen protector I can't complain.

One thing Swiss didn't mention how much better the battery is compared to the 3gs
True, I forgot that. Battery is far better and usually on the 3G i found myself giving it a quick boost of charge before getting the train home, but with the iPhone 4 have not have the low battery warning yet !! Obviously when I am spanking it (use not the phone ) it will eventually need a charge

Originally Posted by Markus

Part of the annoyance is that it would be nice to have a device to test our apps on. As we found with the iPad, some things only appear on device and not in the simulator.
Dont worry, my fee for iphone testing is very reasonable as well you know
Old 30 June 2010, 12:54 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc

That is the best case i have seen for it. A very nice fit. The screen is awesome.
Old 30 June 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

I haven't owned an iPhone since I bought, hated and sold the 3G version. The new features and of course amazing screen on the 4G has had me order one and I must say it doesn't disappoint. Ive been an apple basher for years if I'm honest, but with a few apps to bring it up to the functionality with my Nokia N97 as some really useful stuff was omitted, I am more than happy, its a pretty amazing phone!

Trending Topics

Old 30 June 2010, 01:00 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	uEZ1b.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	75064
Old 30 June 2010, 01:52 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

No-one mentioning the hi def (720p) video?

I bought the iMovie app (£2.99, should have come with the phone but... meh). Son's sports day was last Saturday, I got more video than I needed, cut it and added pieces, plus pics, simple transitions... and then added text that comes in against each transition.

I maded a movie on my phone!!!

Two words, fooking awesome.
Old 30 June 2010, 01:59 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The IMovie app is brilliant worth the £2.99. The 720p video is brilliant quality. Still yet to find something worthy of recording yet

Also the holiday one is brilliant when it puts tbs video in the postcard bit I hope they release more templates

Last edited by Ant; 30 June 2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:05 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPL
No-one mentioning the hi def (720p) video?
I am sure I did

Will be downloading the iphone imovie app today as I love to make movies of absolute pap
Old 30 June 2010, 02:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
I haven't owned an iPhone since I bought, hated and sold the 3G version. The new features and of course amazing screen on the 4G has had me order one and I must say it doesn't disappoint. Ive been an apple basher for years if I'm honest, but with a few apps to bring it up to the functionality with my Nokia N97 as some really useful stuff was omitted, I am more than happy, its a pretty amazing phone!
Hey apple basher...pray tell us what these apps are that bring it up on par with the nokia
Old 30 June 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Hey apple basher...pray tell us what these apps are that bring it up on par with the nokia
Well, I regularly send large group texts.
Lets say I want to send a text to all my 101 installers at once saying their handsets need an emergency update today, on the Nokia I can simply write the message then send it to my contact group called "Installers" and all 101 go at once. The iPhone doesn't allow that.
Fix = App called: "Group Text"

Also, I wanted to be able to organise pics into folders directly on the phone itself and password some folders.
Fix = App called: MyPhoto.

Finally, I tend to run my life from the calender reminders on the N97, things like put the bins out, backup network, send out statements today, etc etc, and its most redeeming feature is the ability to snooze it so it keeps popping up until you have done it, say for when your ona call etc. the apple doesn't allow snoozing.
Fix = App called: NotifyMe2

All Thats missing now is to be able to write text messages from a PC application like Nokia OVI allows but I fear that may never happen.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 30 June 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:33 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Well, I regularly send large group texts.
Lets say I want to send a text to all my 101 installers at once saying their handsets need an emergency update today, on the Nokia I can simply write the message then send it to my contact group called "Installers" and all 101 go at once. The iPhone doesn't allow that.
Fix = App called: "Group Text"

Also, I wanted to be able to organise pics into folders directly on the phone itself and password some folders.
Fix = App called: MyPhoto.

Finally, I tend to run my life from the calender reminders on the N97, things like put the bins out, backup network, send out statements today, etc etc, and its most redeeming feature is the ability to snooze it so it keeps popping up until you have done it, say for when your ona call etc. the apple doesn't allow snoozing.
Fix = App called: NotifyMe2

All Thats missing now is to be able to write text messages from a PC application like Nokia OVI allows but I fear that may never happen.
I dont know if its ideal, but i think apple bluetooth keyboards work with the new iPhones.
Old 30 June 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
I dont know if its ideal, but i think apple bluetooth keyboards work with the new iPhones.
Really? Its not ideal but god it would be faster than doing it on a touchscreen as some of my installer updates are ten texts long! I will look into it, thanks.
Old 30 June 2010, 03:04 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

They do indeed. I have tested it and it works fine.
Even better if you have the odd £55 kicking about, get one of these

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/IP...co=MTc0MjU1OTM

It is for the ipad but since the iphone 4 uses the same connection on the bottom, whack on the iphone and you can now use the keyboard

BTW Stu some of those apps you suggested were great..nice one and thanks for sharing

Also as another way to do tons of lengthy stuff on your iphone, why not do it on your desktop/laptop and then transfer it across to your phone
Using this app

http://www.myphonedesktop.com/
Old 30 June 2010, 03:05 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

see my reply above
Old 30 June 2010, 03:16 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
Old 30 June 2010, 04:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
o2 have confirmed that if I get a sim free phone they will simply give me a micro sim on the same deal I'm on now.

Which is a much better tariff than the new ones on offer.

So I'm on the list at the local apple store.

Had another play with one yesterday in store and I'm liking it more and more. Speed, funtionality, ergonomics, the screen.

Not worried about the signal dropping issue as I'll put a bumper or a case on it anyway.

Cost will in part be offset as I'll either sell my current iPhone or give it to Mrs DD saving the cost of upgrading her to an iphone.

So, the question is. For those of you who have them, is it less/more than youexpected and why?

Cheers in advance
Like Mrs Swiss, wouldn't Mrs DD like one too?

Les
Old 30 June 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by SwissTony
They do indeed. I have tested it and it works fine. Even better if you have the odd £55 kicking about, get one of these

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/IP...co=MTc0MjU1OTM
Looks interesting, but my desk is crackers cluttered enough with two monitors without adding another keyboard.

BTW Stu some of those apps you suggested were great..nice one and thanks for sharing
They are indeed, your welcome.

Also as another way to do tons of lengthy stuff on your iphone, why not do it on your desktop/laptop and then transfer it across to your phone
Using this app http://www.myphonedesktop.com/
Looks good. Just bought it and will try it tonight, thanks.
Old 30 June 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Been playing with the camera and video tonight, its actually incredible, and I found this:
Filmed entirely using the new iphone 4g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JQdgvzuL0

Plus, the wireless N built in is absolutely rapid, and it gets nice and hot! LOL
Ran a speed test while sat in the garden in the sunshine...

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 30 June 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 08:56 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Wireless on my 32gb 3GS isn't bad, the n doesn't make the downloads and tests any better though I don't think unless you are on a 20mb plus service. Broadband would max out before a strong wireless signal would.

Last edited by brendy76; 30 June 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by brendy76
Wireless on my 32gb 3GS isn't bad, the n doesn't make the downloads and tests any better though
The main benefit of N is when your connected to a network with a lot of users on it, streaming is far better, about 7x IIRC.
Old 30 June 2010, 10:34 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
I'm in the same position as you DD, just can't (yet) bring myself to part with £499 for a phone!

The battery is a big selling point for me so just how long will it last with light use (ie few emails, push on, bit of browsing)? My 3g gets a days use so charge every night. If used heavily then needs a charge by tea time.

The wife went and looked at them earlier and said stuff an ipad she loves the iphone4 and she's been going on about ipads since they came out. I'm resisting looking as of yet so as to not sway my decision whilst they are still unavailable.
Here's my logic

2X upgrades = appx £350

residual value of Iphone 4 = £200

cost to buy = £499

result? £51 better off overall

Works for me

Les,

Mrs DD will be v happy to have an iphone - irrespective of model. at the end of the day, the 3g is still a pretty good bit of kit

Cheers to all who posted for the feedback much appreciated
Old 01 July 2010, 08:48 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Old 01 July 2010, 01:33 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know when there will be another batch of iphones delivered?!
Its my contract renewal today and I can't get one!
Old 01 July 2010, 01:39 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Does anyone know when there will be another batch of iphones delivered?!
Its my contract renewal today and I can't get one!
Stock will be back into some stores by 1st week of July. Next batch after that is 14th July onwards
Old 01 July 2010, 02:59 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Is this JackClark?

Old 01 July 2010, 03:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Very Funny (cough)Tosser

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 question