Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a new sofa

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2002, 08:37 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All these adverts such as DFS, SCS etc claiming 4 years interest free credit etc. Well has anyone offered cash and been given a discount?

We all know that if you take interest free out, they won't budge on the price, they then sell on the money you have borrowed, say £1000 onto some loan company for around £800 and the loan company make their money that way.

Has anyone gone into such a store as DFS etc and offered to pay cash on a sofa. So say on £1000 sofa, offered £800 or come to some agreement.

I would rather pay cash than have something set up by direct debit, it takes ages to set up, filling in forms, credit checks etc with the salesman. I just want to go in, see a sofa I like and offer cash straight away and get a good deal. We all know interest free isn't really interest free so getting say 15% knocked off the price seems fair to me?

So before I venture into one of these showrooms, has anyone done a similar deal? Any advice, thoughts would be appreciated as well as other places to try for good quality sofas but cheap prices? I'm after 2x 2 seater sofas and looking to pay around £600 to £700 for them both. DFS have some priced at £399 etc so just wondering what I could do cash wise?

Any help?

Thanks.
Old 01 April 2002, 03:42 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Yeah m8
Absolutely right. Get them on a monday/tues near the end of the month. Check to see if they have any cancelled orders as they really want rid of them. They will definitely move on price. Just depends on how much of a brass neck you have.
Worth a shot.
Alasdair
Old 01 April 2002, 04:14 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have a look at http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/home.html The site is an amalgamation of manufacturers like Divani & Oakridge, all based in Wales. We've just bought two sofas from Oakridge, a 3 and a 2 seater for about £500 for both in the sale (inc free delivery) and are very pleased with them. My mum and my sister have both bought sofas from Sofa workshop direct and Divani and are very pleased also.

I think all 3 manufacturers are part of the Sofasofa thing. If you just want something that'll last you for 4 - 5 years then I'd recommend them, we reckon in 4 years time we'll be wanting something different anyway so for that price can just throw them away and get new ones

Sal
Old 02 April 2002, 08:49 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go direct to the manufactuer shows at Manchester in August or Birmingham in january if you can get an invite {i normally chuck 20 in the bin!!} buy pro_forma and get at cost +VAT £1800 got me a £4500 leather suite if a shop is charging £1500 they are paying aprox £600 for it !!! and the quality of a leather settee for £400 is c**P it costs £140 to make it might last 3 years and the frame will creak and the leather will split (i was in the upholstery trade for 8 years ) better to recover a good 2nd hand suite