Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help from the scoobynet dads/mothers

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2010, 06:23 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from the scoobynet dads/mothers

We're in the process of getting all the stuff for the little one for it's arrival.

Struggling on Push Chairs the one i like is this one

SilverCross Surf

But she doesn't wanna spend that much as once it's got the travel system and blah blah it'll be round £700

Can anyone reccomend one? We're after one that does everything? i.e suitable from birth to toddler.

thanks
Old 19 June 2010, 06:29 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

we had this >>> http://www.silvercross.co.uk/our-range/pram-systems/3D/

combined with this >>> http://www.silvercross.co.uk/our-ran.../ventura-plus/

cracking setup, not ridiculously expensive, also comes with 'extras' like a change bag, rain cover, foot cosy, etc, that you have to pay for with most others

would buy the same again and it's seen us right through

Last edited by Rich D; 19 June 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 19 June 2010, 06:39 PM
wrx-kurt
Scooby Regular

Me and my other half had this and we swear blind by it. I know it's alot of money but it works and is good quality stuff. If you shop around you can get it for a better price than this site. I think it's worth spending the money for it and will last ya. It's also so easy to push and loads of storage room.
http://www.johnstonprams.co.uk/dynam...SLALOM+FORMULA

hope this helps ya mate.
Old 19 June 2010, 06:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had 3 little darlings The silver cross stuff is way overpriced to get covered in sick and wee LOL.

Graco stuff seemed pretty well screwed together

http://www.mypushchair.co.uk/graco-pushchairs.php

Shaun
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SN double post (
Ant
Scooby Regular

thanks for that it's certainly a contender.
Old 19 June 2010, 06:53 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

It's nearly five years since we got a pushchair, but we got an Inglesina Zippy - with the car seat for 0-9 months or thereabout, it lasts right through to toddling. It folds up to a decent size too, so it leaves room in the boot for something other than the pushchair.

It can also be dismantled for cleaning, especially useful after the little one is sick or suffers from nappy failure!

Not the trendiest of pushchairs, but did us proud (and is still doing so).
Old 19 June 2010, 06:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We have the Mamas & Papas MPX Travel System and it's been superb.

Pic from Google, not mine.

We don't have the main pram body in the pic, but the seat pictured to the left fully reclines for use from birth, and can be mounted forward or rear facing and has a fully enclosing hood and cover to keep them warm and dry. The car seat clips in the same, either way, and can be removed from the car with baby still asleep and locked to the frame instead of the seat (not plonked on top like many), or even brought into the house and sat on the stand included. Fully versatile, well made and stylish.

We've just moved on to a Phil & Teds Sport which can be converted to carry two....

Carries one toddler as shown, lays flat for newborn, can add a second seat to the front allowing newborn to lay flat, or add the second seat to the rear for two toddlers. Genius design...

http://www.youtube.com/philandteds#p/u/4/cjdu_br3xF0

Last edited by corradoboy; 19 June 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 19 June 2010, 09:28 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We wanted a "travel system" and were going to go for the Silver Cross linear or 3D:

http://www.silvercross.co.uk/our-range/pram-systems/

but it wouldn't fit in the Mrs' car boot (Ford Fiesta) so we went for the Quinny Buzz-3 instead, no problems with it so far (4 months)

http://www.quinny.com/ot-en/strollers/buzz-3
Old 19 June 2010, 09:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Ant,

are you oop North? We have a whole Mammas & Pappas travel system you could have for a good price!

It includes the car seat for a baby so you are immediately mobile.

Trout
Old 19 June 2010, 09:35 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Hi, I was in the same boat. I went for the maxi cosi setup, the buggy, seat for the car, base unit and other bits. Paid around £625 via the net.

All the above recommendations are great, but one thing Ive learnt is that new parents buy tons of stuff thinking they will use it but will soon realise you dont.

So, I would buy what you know you will need, the car seat, base, buggy and go from there. My little boy is now 17 months old now and Ive got tons of stuff that I never used.

All that to oneside, I hope your getting enough sleep, as once you little darling is here, boy you will learn what having sleepless nights is all about :-) It lovely though, as the moment your boy or girl says " Dadddddeeee" your heart melts !

Also, have you looked into the Virgin stem cell thing ?? I collected my son's stem cells from his umbical cord when he was born, as the number of serious illness these will cure in the future are amazing. Cost me £2K but worth it.

Best of luck.

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 19 June 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 19 June 2010, 09:54 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not keen on those ones that look really top heavy. I think we've got a M&P one. Its in the loft (apparently just in case!)

We initially had this really big one that Mrs insisted on. Right behemouth of a thing. We didn't have a car when we our daughter was born and it was a royal PITA getting it on and off the bus.

Good luck mate
Old 20 June 2010, 08:43 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My advice would be to buy on weight as much as anything. We have the M&P MPX system as above and it's good quality and still looks new, we've just cleaned it up because baby number 2 is due in December. BUT, in pushchair mode it's heavy for my wife to lift in and out of the car (it's fine when using the baby car seat) and she ended up switching to a cheap buggy as soon as she could with child number 1.
Old 20 June 2010, 08:57 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyones input she loves the silvercross 3d so we're ordering that

We find out the sex Tuesday can't wait!
Old 20 June 2010, 08:57 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Old 20 June 2010, 09:14 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antc

Arr sex .. a thing of the past once the baby comes along
Old 20 June 2010, 02:19 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 20 June 2010, 06:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thing of the past before for me as my lad was IVF
Old 20 June 2010, 07:11 PM
Will
BANNED

I remember my first came squeezing out!! Couldn't believe my eyes! First thing i said was

''Whoa! There goes my fun''

Old 20 June 2010, 07:16 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

We've got the Britax Vigour 4.

Got Pushchair, Car seat & Pram with Cosy Toes, Umbrella and Covers for less than £400 a few years ago.

All clips straight into the base facing either way (which most don't do) - Great to have your child facing you rather than away - Improves your relationship with them.

I would test a pushchair for size & folding ease before you commit. Some of them have complicated folding mechanisms which you're wife isn't going to want to sod about with when the babies crying.

We looked at the 3D but found they had lots of chassis twisting issues.

This is a similar version to ours nowadays (not a bad price and the company we got ours from) http://www.babyequipmentcomplete.com...etail&iid=5978

PS Which ever system you get, an isofix base is worth the extra money

Last edited by michaelro; 20 June 2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 20 June 2010, 07:23 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I had a dreadful experience with our Mamas and Papas kit which was close to £700. An Axle snapped as I crossed a road, fortunately our baby was strapped in as the whole thing tipped over. I contacted customer services who sent a replacement axle. However the wrong part was sent. They offered to repair it , however I was responsible for postage , both ways at £40 each way. I offered to send them the damaged axle for their examination, they weren't interested.
Had maxi Cosy and Chicco stuff which was great after the poor customer service from M&P. We didn't trust M&P kit it after that.

Last edited by s70rjw; 20 June 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 20 June 2010, 07:30 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I found that getting a travel system Waac complete waste of money.

Call me old fashioned but I hate nothing more to see a newborn in car seats on top of a pushchair for hours.

I know that may seem judgemental as a quick trip into the supermarket/shops when I'm the car is great. But I see people who take their child for a walk in these for hours. Or they are in shopping malls scrunched up all day.

I know it's personal choice but I like to see a baby flat on their back in the healthiest position for their body to develop.

I had a temracel system that lay flat, abd only used the car seat in the car. That was £700+ that was not worth spending.

When I had my daughter a bought a phil&teds and it was cracking!! It's a single abd a double and it's so versatile it's untrue.
Old 20 June 2010, 07:31 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I found that getting a travel system Waac complete waste of money.

Call me old fashioned but I hate nothing more to see a newborn in car seats on top of a pushchair for hours.

I know that may seem judgemental as a quick trip into the supermarket/shops when I'm the car is great. But I see people who take their child for a walk in these for hours. Or they are in shopping malls scrunched up all day.

I know it's personal choice but I like to see a baby flat on their back in the healthiest position for their body to develop.

I had a temracel system that lay flat, abd only used the car seat in the car. That was £700+ that was not worth spending.

When I had my daughter a bought a phil&teds and it was cracking!! It's a single abd a double and it's so versatile it's untrue.
Old 20 June 2010, 07:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983

Agree, which is why I like our M&P set-up where we had the option of leaving him in the car seat and clipping it to the frame, but if he'd been in it more than an hour we'd transfer him to the lay-flat adjustable seat instead.

Our P&T is superb, but I've had to register a fault complaint after the fabric developed a tear. Waiting to hear about a replacement after just 3 weeks and minimal use
Old 20 June 2010, 08:01 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Agree, which is why I like our M&P set-up where we had the option of leaving him in the car seat and clipping it to the frame, but if he'd been in it more than an hour we'd transfer him to the lay-flat adjustable seat instead.

Our P&T is superb, but I've had to register a fault complaint after the fabric developed a tear. Waiting to hear about a replacement after just 3 weeks and minimal use
I know what you mean about the tear. If it's where mine was (on the zip) it will be replaced if it's still within the 12 month guarentee.

I sold mine not so long ago. I lost over 3/4 of the money I paid for my sons travel system yet only lost about 1/4 of the money when I re sold the P&T.

http://philandteds.com/products/push/vibe
Old 20 June 2010, 08:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The tear on ours is around the front arc just behind the front wheel, where the fabric is pulled tight around the frame. The residual value was the driving force behind both our M&P and P&T purchases. Might as well enjoy the best and get most of your money back later √
Old 20 June 2010, 08:26 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Exactly. I would have rather given my pushchair too my mate for nothing, but she got pregnant sooner than expected. Was a YAY for her.

She is now almost 6 weeks with her second and after a tough time with a miscarriage last year i am hoping this little bean sticks.
Old 21 June 2010, 09:00 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a Jane Powertwin which has great weight distribution but I don't think I would recommend it as it has had to be repaired twice after the frame sheared in two at a join. Whilst borrowing a Phil&Ted (Courtesy Pram ) with the second child attachment I find that the bar at the top of the attachment is just in the right place to clatter into your knees when pushing.

Best advice I can suggest it try pushing a few around the block with a weight in them and see how you get on bumping up and down kerbs.
Old 21 June 2010, 10:09 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

got all the mama and papas stuff ourselves, pram, car seat and isofix base,

like the isofix as its easier with the car seat. soem car seats like the gracia ? ones seemed really cheap and flimsy to me.

in fact I had to have an isofix base for the car seat to go in the imprezza. don't ask how/why, but the car seat wouldn't go in without it. probably due to length of belts.

must admit pram was good, converting from proper pram- laid down and asleep, to buggy that holds the car seat, to now a pushchair now she can sit up.

we were lucky, my wife's uncle works for M & P so we got everything for virtually nothing to "test it"

in hindsight, I'd prefer a pram with much bigger wheels- ours has 4 little ones. its no good on tracks/trails, rough surfaces. that'll be next purchase I think.

nb- wait till you drive home from hospital with yr little one.

it'll be the most nervous journey of yr life !!!!!!!
Old 21 June 2010, 10:31 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

We got a Bugaboo and a Maxi cosi car seat, You can put the Maxicosi on the Bugaboo when they are tiny or when you dont want to wake them up, the Pram works as a newborn right up to toddler.
Plus it has this cool function that allows you to fold it to two wheels and pull it behind you for the beach!!!!! Hard to explain but I promise its a cool function
http://www.johnlewis.com/4615/Product.aspx