Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: What would you do in my situation?
Invoice hours worked regardless of "Politics"
66.67%
Only work for the contracted hours
6.67%
Carry on "Giving" hours for free
20.00%
Spread overtime to quiet weeks
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

1,2,3,4,5 Senseless working overtime

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2010, 09:02 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1,2,3,4,5 Senseless working overtime

Are you working overtime on a regular basis?

I'm contracted to work 40hrs a week. (Excluding time taken for Lunch)

Due to taking on extra work and the loss of half the team I now find myself starting work at between 7.00 and 7.30am and rarely finish before 7.00 / 7.30pm - Say an average of 12 hour days x 5 days a week. I often work later ( till 10pm a few of days a month)

However, due to the "economic situation" I often "Give" 10 hours work a week for free.

IT Contractor for a large Pharma co. Oracle Financial Analyser.

The system I support is due to be retired in a few months.

Should I:

A: Change a long term habit of undercharging and risk being accused of ripping the company off. (Easy to prove hours worked and output).
B: Start working 40 hours a week max (not my style tbh).
C: Carry on as I am. Cap at 50 for busy weeks and charge actual hours for quiet weeks
D: Keep Busy weeks invoices capped at 50 hours (rather than the 60-70 worked) then invoice 50 hours for quiet weeks of 40-45 hours.

It's starting to drain me!

Title in Homage to XTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5GVVz0gjA
Old 16 June 2010, 09:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Invoice for worked hours, then they might take on someone else. TBH, in this climate, too many employers are using the economic situation to pull the wool.
Old 16 June 2010, 09:24 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Do any of the above but FFS do 'not' work for free as your employer will come to expect this from you,
Old 16 June 2010, 09:32 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Do any of the above but FFS do 'not' work for free as your employer will come to expect this from you,
as above nothing is free in this day and age, claim every hour of it, they will think nothing more nor nothing less of you for it.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:00 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd find a balance in the current job market, as paid work is better than no work.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:06 PM
trell
Scooby Regular

and ols saying is f*ck them before they f*ck you. I would bill them for every hour you do and also working after 6 at night yoou then go into unsocialable hours which then allows you to add a % on for unsocialable hours.

Show me the money lol!!!
Old 16 June 2010, 10:10 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I would choose option C you say that the system is only got a few months left so not worth rocking the boat now just look upon it as the discount you have to offer to keep a job in the current market, other than that find your next job now and move.
Old 16 June 2010, 11:59 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I would choose option C you say that the system is only got a few months left so not worth rocking the boat now just look upon it as the discount you have to offer to keep a job in the current market, other than that find your next job now and move.
WTF?? Don't get me wrong, it's one thing to give a little extra in a job, but 10 plus hours a week for free just isn't on in my opinion. You shouldn't have to work the equivalent of a part time job for free to keep a job, current climate or not.

It's one thing to do a couple of hours or so, but not that many.

Generally, people I know and myself have been no more thought of for giving more in workplaces (different jobs btw), whether it be time for free or just effort put in.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:17 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

jods, you sound as bad as me.
I am self employed and am noticing clients are taking the pee. I work and work and most of the time more than the hours than they pay for. When I say, hey cough up, they whinge.
If they don't put up and shut up. I am outta there. They can struggle on their own. There is only so much pee taking I will stand for.
You need to take the same stance
Old 17 June 2010, 12:28 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I know slightly how you feel. When I was contract I did get overtime as I was paid hourly. Some weeks I did not have any overtime, but the vast majority of weeks I did. I went full time sallaried about a month ornso ago and overtime isn't paid an I have worked a he'll of a lot.
Now it has been noted that I am putting in the hours by managemet and they have thanked me for the effort. Pay rise and bonus time is coming up so I am thinking there will be rewards fir the effort as they have been very good in the past.

I have cut back a little bit as I have been overworked and don't want to burn out. We will also bet getting more staff whch will help too

if I were you o would bill them the full ammount. Maybe they don know how Michael effort youbare putting in. If they baulk then discuss who adn how the work will get done
Old 17 June 2010, 06:58 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Now it has been noted that I am putting in the hours by managemet and they have thanked me for the effort. Pay rise and bonus time is coming up so I am thinking there will be rewards fir the effort as they have been very good in the past.
you have been thanked. can you be niave enough to think that pay rise and bonus will be forthcoming and if you do i can bet it will be no were near what you expect it to be.
Old 17 June 2010, 07:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing is happening to us .. I do an hour extra every morning, although I do claim for it ..

Yesterday I worked from 8am to 5.30pm, then back in at 7.30pm to do an out of hours change which ran till 4am, then back in for lunch time .. I'm fooked today ..

Not enough people to cover the work loads and they are making people redundant ..
Old 17 June 2010, 07:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing is happening to us .. I do an hour extra every morning, although I do claim for it ..

Yesterday I worked from 8am to 5.30pm, then back in at 7.30pm to do an out of hours change which ran till 4am, then back in for lunch time .. I'm fooked today ..

Not enough people to cover the work loads and they are making people redundant ..
Old 17 June 2010, 07:20 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Claim for every hour and get the OT while you can. I work between 3 and 7 hours OT most nights and have been glued to this lappy since 8am yesterday. 23 hours and counting - show me the money

Make money while you can I say. You never know when the OT will dry up.
Old 17 June 2010, 07:44 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I used to manage factories and was paid to do a job even if it meant doing 80 hours/week. Rough with the smooth, sometimes I would take days, half days off as compensation when suitable.

Your situation is somewhat different.

I would not consider option D. Charging for hours you have not actually worked in that period could result in dismissal.

I would work towards A. Do you have a working relationship with your boss? Talk him through your timesheet each period so he knows exactly what the situation is. With less people its obvious your workload is going to increase proportionately. I don't know your situation fully but he may cap your hours for you or discuss alternatives. I would think he has a bonus linked budget that he will be keen to achieve and will want to work within. If you can make some inroads it will become easier.

Be firm but fair.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 17 June 2010, 08:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its a bit weird that , i remember that one when it came out and id swear they were a load of scruffy teenagers

sorry no input , i work whenever its available being self emp.
Old 17 June 2010, 08:19 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Im a unix contractor and can be in the same situation. Contract market is a little poor at the moment so play this carefully, especially if you want an extension.

Im contracted to do 37.5 hours, but regular do 40 / 45 hours a week, but sometimes leave early if work goes quiet. I tend to do a few hours more to show willing and that always help when it comes to contract extension time. I know some contractors that are rigid about hours, but for me, I play the game which explains why I normally last 2/3/4 years in all my contracts.

Clients hate overtime when it comes to contractors as it effects thier budgets, so I would try a work out a "day in leu" situation. Its also a pain dealing with agents about overtime rates, so anything you can do to ease the admin pain will help.

For example, I had to do a couple of late nights a few weeks back, so billed for the bank holiday Monday, even though I wasnt working. Its easier to do that, than go down the road of overtime rates, getting authorisation, etc etc.

I would speak to your boss, as your obviously burning out a little now, tell your boss how you feel, try and remain positive, pushing the vibe that you dont mind the hours as your a team member, and the good of the department is paramount, ii.e dont go in with a money money money I want more money attitude as contractors are already disliked in business.

As for hours, I was once regulary working 80/100 hours a week in a previous contract, working weekends, and nights. I work 69 days without a day off in this contract, but my overtime rates / weekend rates were delicious :-) I did this for 4 years, which allowed me to pay off my morgtage, take a year off and relax, although it took 4 months to get me out of the work mode.

Best of luck.

SBK

Last edited by Simon K; 17 June 2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 17 June 2010, 11:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is unfair that they should take advantage of you. Only right to let them know if they do.

Les