Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone else been shocked by honesty?.

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2010, 11:51 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else been shocked by honesty?.

Some of you know that I am a courier that runs his own company.

On tuesday I was travelling down a 2 lane one way street at about 20mph in my van. The left lane was stationary due to lights on red at the junction.
Suddenly a BMW decides to jump out of the left lane in front of me. (He forget the mirror, signal bit of the three rules!!). Result 1 very bent BMW, my front bumper/wing headlight door and crumple zone on the nearside, and a clio with cracked rear offside corner from the resulting sideway shunt. (3.5tonnes has a lot of inertia even at 20mph).
60ish chap gets out of BMW after we had forced his door open!!, and immediatly apologises and admits full responsibility.
Now call me a cynic, but at this point I am thinking of my courier insurance. As a general rule, even a none fault claim is allocated 25% to the none fault driver and this equals a hike in premium. That is why as a rule I operate a less than £1k in damage to both vehicles, no claim is made. (BMW is prob a right off in this case).

Any way, this happened at 16.30. At 18.30 I recieved a call from Churchill (his insurance) informing me that he had admitted full fault to them on the phone, a courtesy van would be delivered and mine taken for repair and that they were not even going to inform my insurers!!!. My van is still driveable so as its bank holiday they are collecting and delivering on wednesday next week.

I suppose I will find out if this is entirely true when I renew, but I have had no contact from my insurers so I assume it is.

Anyone else find this hard to believe in this day and age??.
Old 29 May 2010, 11:54 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SVXNUT

On tuesday I was travelling down a 2 lane one way street at about 20mph in my van. The left lane was stationary due to lights on red at the junction.
Suddenly a BMW decides to jump out of the left lane in front of me. (He forget the mirror, signal bit of the three rules!!). Result 1 very bent BMW, my front bumper/wing headlight door and crumple zone on the nearside, and a clio with cracked rear offside corner from the resulting sideway shunt. (3.5tonnes has a lot of inertia even at 20mph).
60ish chap gets out of BMW after we had forced his door open!!, and immediatly apologises and admits full responsibility.
Now call me a cynic, but at this point I am thinking of my courier insurance. As a general rule, even a none fault claim is allocated 25% to the none fault driver and this equals a hike in premium. That is why as a rule I operate a less than £1k in damage to both vehicles, no claim is made. (BMW is prob a right off in this case).

Any way, this happened at 16.30. At 18.30 I recieved a call from Churchill (his insurance) informing me that he had admitted full fault to them on the phone, a courtesy van would be delivered and mine taken for repair and that they were not even going to inform my insurers!!!. My van is still driveable so as its bank holiday they are collecting and delivering on wednesday next week.

I suppose I will find out if this is entirely true when I renew, but I have had no contact from my insurers so I assume it is.

Very valiant of him to be honest, especially a Beemer owner

Do you not have to inform your insurers regardless of fault? If they have admitted liability then there wouldn;t be any need for your insurers to cough up the 25%, but they know as matter of course.

Just seems iffy not telling them
Old 29 May 2010, 11:57 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Churchill said there would be no need to involve my insurers.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Churchill said there would be no need to involve my insurers.
Fair enough, but I assume they would be notified of the accident. Otherwise as said, seems iffy.

Least your sweet though, van is getting fixed and no ambulance chasing palarva going on by either party
Old 29 May 2010, 12:07 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I thought you had to declare,even a non fault accident.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:33 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have just answered a question i've just posted on another thread.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I thought you were gonna say your doors were open and someone returned an iPad or something. lol
Its always nice when people are straight about things like this, nice to be able to settle something with no hassle. Would not consider it a great triumph for honesty though. Given the nature of the collision he would 99% been at fault anyway, being in your path. Unless he claimed you went on a suicide mission at him lol

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2010, 01:27 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

What a result. If somebody crashes into me due to no fault of my own, I'd like it to be him
Old 29 May 2010, 01:29 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My ex- was reversed into in a car park, the woman admitted full responsibilty and even when we insisted on dealer body repairs (lease car) she didn't change her story (even though HER husband suggested so, and 'leaned' on my ex-wife a little). It would've been very easy for her to say my ex- drove into her (no witnesses) but she didn't.

I have to say though: I didn't relax until the bill was paid in full.
Old 29 May 2010, 01:41 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

You have to declare it to your insurance company and to any others you get insurance from. Otherwise you could be deemed as carrying out a fraudulent action.

It's not so unusual though. When I was hit on my motorbike, her insurance company rang within the hour and everything was sorted within two weeks. When I ran into the back of someone a couple of weeks ago I immediately phoned my insurance company (at the scene) and admitted liability. No reason not to-was entirely my fault! Though my insurance company were surprised-she said that the majority of people try to dispute even when blame is clearly identifiable.
Old 29 May 2010, 05:40 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

I will declare the accident when one of my fleet comes up for renewel and they ask history. I would say that between the 4 of us there are at least 3 minor bumps or scrapes a year, that are solved by us repairing the other parties involved complete with C vehicle. No insurance is involved and a discalimer is obtained and filed against future comeback. Been doing this for 4 years with the full knowledge of my broker.
Before anyone comments each van does approx 80-100k a year, with a good mix of multidrop. I have full fleet no-claims and still have to pay £1800 a year on each van. It is more than worth the couple of k a year in repairs to other parties to keep that. Without it I was paying 4k a year per vehicle.
Tip if a courier ever hits or bumps you at low speed with minor damage, offer that as an option, you will usually be pleasantly suprised.
Old 29 May 2010, 06:19 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Just to evan things up a little, someone hit my van yesterday and fooked off

good job i seen them do it a knew were they lived
Old 29 May 2010, 07:16 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

That's the way to behave! Just be a man about it and take the blame if you made a mistake. Probably even breeds self-respect rather than a feeling of being slimy and a shyster. If its clear cut 100% my fault I too would say it there and then - get it over with and be honest & decent.

Chap that ran into the back of my Evo legged it down a slip-road as we 'drove to a layby' to sort it out - I even had a picture of him parked in my chuff!!! Maybe he feels clever, but I'd feel like a ****. Thank goodness TCut sorted it!

D

D
Old 29 May 2010, 08:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I was told once that a lot of insurance companies will automatically dispute liability regardless of the circumstances, until they have investigated it, and if you admit liability even then they can sue you, or something along those lines.

Not sure if there is any truth in that mind.
Old 29 May 2010, 08:33 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

They can have sh!!tty morals and dodgy business practices mate, but they cant force that on me! Some times humans really do make mistakes or push their luck. End of... D
Old 30 May 2010, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There was a time when that sort of honesty was the norm and in fact would be expected rather than people trying to lie their way out of trouble.

It started to go downhill when Wilson came to power! Shows that people do follow the examples of their leaders in the way that they behave!

Good to see the example of the BMW driver.

Les
Old 30 May 2010, 05:48 PM
Westwood2006
Scooby Regular

It is a pity when we come across good people and are surprised when they do the right thing by us.

What happened to this country?