Wifes bag stolen from work

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2010, 08:12 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wifes bag stolen from work

Hi all,

So my wife works in a hotel and spa as a Beauty Therapist. On Friday she had her bag stolen which had our house keys, drivers license with our address on, car keys, mobile phone etc...

We had our locks replaced on our house and car and canceled all cards and phone contract.

2 men were caught on CCTV and the police now have 2 clear images of them. My question is where do we stand with her work. She left her bag in a small office tucked away. The 2 males just walked past reception and then past the treatment rooms and straight into the office. There is no signs saying Staff Only, they have lockers but have never been given locks for them and have been asked many times and have only just giving them locks after the bag has been stolen. Makes me so angry

My wife has been told they are not aloud to keep their bag with them in the treatment rooms so she has never had a secure place to leave her possessions.

When I heard this I stormed down and spoke to their **** of a manager who told me they can't claim through their insurance as the excess is a £1000. I said thats not my problem and there should have been more security in place. This is a big well known company and do not care in the slightest. When my wife first told the manager his first words were "O No my laptop" and ran to his office. He was relieved to find his laptop was fine!!!! Do I have a leg to stand on? I want to claim for everything.
Old 26 May 2010, 08:19 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Go straight to the top........

But Im sure if you push too hard your wife might find herself out the door
Old 26 May 2010, 08:48 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

so your wife left her bag somewhere unlocked and unsupervised and its someone elses fault

If the shop/store don't provide a safe place to put something (such as a safe) don't take all that valuable stuff in to work?
Old 26 May 2010, 08:50 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Have you had locks changed under your own insurance or did you pay yourself?
Old 26 May 2010, 08:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this, al to commn Hotels are usually targetted by the local low-lifes as easy prey.

One thing though and do not take this the wrong way - couldn't your wife have put her own lock/padlock on the locker? cost a fiver and will detur all but the most persistent with the noise and commotion it would cause to remove/break off.
Old 26 May 2010, 09:02 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
so your wife left her bag somewhere unlocked and unsupervised and its someone elses fault

If the shop/store don't provide a safe place to put something (such as a safe) don't take all that valuable stuff in to work?
There's always one!! What was she meant to do walk to work and not take the car. Leave her mobile at home so she can never be contacted. Leave her house keys at home so she can't get in when she returns home!!

Yes it is there fault for not providing lockers. The police said they are meant to provide some sort of security

Last edited by paulg1979; 26 May 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 26 May 2010, 09:03 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Sorry to hear this, al to commn Hotels are usually targetted by the local low-lifes as easy prey.

One thing though and do not take this the wrong way - couldn't your wife have put her own lock/padlock on the locker? cost a fiver and will detur all but the most persistent with the noise and commotion it would cause to remove/break off.
Yes it is so easy as they can just wander around the hotel and no one thinks anything of it. No the lockers were keypad system but had them removed them. Not sure why!

Trending Topics

Old 26 May 2010, 09:05 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Have you had locks changed under your own insurance or did you pay yourself?
My bank covered this and got it done for free. 3 doors needed new locks so was well pleased. Car locks were done through car insurance
Old 26 May 2010, 09:07 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Go straight to the top........

But Im sure if you push too hard your wife might find herself out the door
Yes I was going to write a letter to the owners. My wife is pretty high up in the company and is hard to find good people in that industry so I think she should be ok.
Old 26 May 2010, 09:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

but you said they provide lockers -- just not padlocks

or have i read it wrong
Old 26 May 2010, 09:14 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Sorry I didn't explain it that well. The lockers used to be in the changing rooms with keypads and when they got new lockers for the changing rooms they stuck the old lockers in the staff area and removed all keypads to put in the new lockers and never got around to putting new keypads on the old ones

Last edited by paulg1979; 26 May 2010 at 09:16 PM.