Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you trust 'park and fly'?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2010, 08:03 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you trust 'park and fly'?

I'm flying from Gatwick soon and last year for the first time we stayed at an airport hotel the night before. The hotel was 10 mins from the airport and was excellent, it made life much easier with two small kids and an early flight.
Parking was on site for this hotel and this was very reassuring.

Anyway, rang to book the same hotel today and they say that they no longer do on site parking. An insured driver takes the car to a 'secure' offsite car park.
On return he meets you at the airport.

I feel a little uncomfortable about this as I've heard some bad things about these so called secure car parks and the cars coming back with dents and scratches. Also not sure I want somebody driving my M5, insured or not.

What do you think?
Old 15 May 2010, 08:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Not used Park and fly before

Have used Pink Elephant many times, no problems with them

Make a note of your mileage and do not leave anything on show or valuable in the car - i'm sure you won't but does not hurt to remind you as i am sure you will have a lot on your mind.

Go round your car when you leave it and do inspect it when you get back, ususal stuff, corners and parking dings.

Have a nice flight and holiday

http://www.pinkelephantparking.com/gatwick-airport.aspx

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 May 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 15 May 2010, 08:21 PM
spanner monkey
Scooby Regular

http://www.ifieldcourt.com/ Stopped here a few times, nice rooms & as far as i can remember vehicles do not leave site.
Old 15 May 2010, 08:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used this type of deal when flying out of luton

and it was very very good, the car was waiting in the drop off zone, really really easy - and not that much more expensive than parking in the airport parking

remove one of the spark plugs so it runs like a "bag a sh1te"
Old 15 May 2010, 08:31 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I'd rather pay the extra and park in an airport carpark, book it online and save ££££
Old 15 May 2010, 09:01 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Put a sticker on your steering wheel, simply write mileage = (whatever it is), job done.
Old 15 May 2010, 09:02 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I'd rather pay the extra and park in an airport carpark, book it online and save ££££
Agreed, booked online for a week and it cost £45. Turn up without booking and it was £9.50 per day!!
Old 15 May 2010, 09:19 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spanner monkey
http://www.ifieldcourt.com/ Stopped here a few times, nice rooms & as far as i can remember vehicles do not leave site.
I also used this hotel recently, very good, fairly decent rooms, decent brekky, evening meals are pricey though, cars parked n secure on site. They also have facility to charge your battery if it goes flat and general servicing garage for any other issues. Location is in the countryside and away from possible *******. The bus service to n from the airport was excellent.
Old 15 May 2010, 09:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I have heard some shocking stories regarding this kind of service. Of course, most are going to be fine. But some Watchdog did a report on some that just dumped cars in industrial estates for the time you were away. Some got drive a lot etc etc.

If you get a good company then you are going to be fine. But if you get a shocker then its going to be a pain. Yes, you can take pictures of the mileage of the car etc etc, but if they are a fly by night organisation that is basically a Phoenix company then they won't even care

I'd be quite wary of taking an M5...can you not borrow a sh1tbox, or get a lift?
Old 15 May 2010, 11:18 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Some people have mentioned using the airport car parks. This may sound like a stupid question but how do you get from the car park to the terminal with 2 small kids and loads of luggage?

Thanks
Old 16 May 2010, 12:25 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend of mine used to drive the cars from the hotel to the field where they are kept.

I certainly wouldn't use them!!!

They were dumped in a field, and used to get seriously abused by the drivers.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:26 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks.

Some people have mentioned using the airport car parks. This may sound like a stupid question but how do you get from the car park to the terminal with 2 small kids and loads of luggage?

Thanks
They have a bus/coach service
Old 16 May 2010, 06:02 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
They have a bus/coach service
That sounds like a pain in the **** with 2 small kids and loads of luggage
Old 16 May 2010, 06:48 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Here are reviews of the company that the hotel uses to collect the car. I don't think I'll be using them.....

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews105535.html
Old 16 May 2010, 07:19 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Park in short term car park.
Go and check in with wife/kids and luggage.
Leave wife and kids in MacDonalds.
Take care to Long Term car park, PRE BOOKED.
Take free shuttle bus back to Terminal.
Go on holiday.
Reverse process when you return.

Simples!
Old 16 May 2010, 07:40 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

At gatwick I always use the on site long term car park. It is a 2 minute bus ride from terminal and if you use the plus service they park the car for you.

It is a very good and proffesional setup.

Chop
Old 16 May 2010, 07:49 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

That sounds like a pain in the **** with 2 small kids and loads of luggage
Drop your family off at the terminal and drive to long term car park..?

To be honest it's not hard to get everyone and luggage from long term car park via the bus.
Old 16 May 2010, 08:00 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

On airport parking at Gatwick is provided by NCP, I did a quick quote for 7 days at Gatwick North and it only cost £44 online, details of the parking here

Book online here

After reading some nightmare stories about offsite parking and collection services I'd only park the car myself and take the keys with me, no other way.
Old 16 May 2010, 08:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I remember stories about the car park attendants having an arrangement where the crooks would take the car away, do an engine change to a rubbish one, and park the car where you left it!

That would worry me.

Les
Old 16 May 2010, 10:25 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I know it seems like I'm making a fuss over nothing and millions of people park in the airport car park but this is the problem...

I wanted to stay the night in a nearby hotel so I could wake up later in the morning and not have the stress that I might get caught up in some kind of traffic jam on the way there.
If I did that and then dropped the wife/kids at the terminal and went to park the car my wife would be left with two small children(one in a pram) and a trolley piled up with 3-4 suitcases and 2-3 bits of hand luggage.

It would be impossible for my wife to push a pram and big trolley and hold the hand of the elder child.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but I like to start my holiday off with the least amount of stress possible. The hotel I stayed in last year was just fantastic and we vowed to always stay there in future. They had secure underground parking at the time and you never had to hand the keys over.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:29 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

DD,

The Sofitel is really nice hotel and actually part of the teminal so all you need to do is walk from your room with bags to the check in.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-6204...ck/index.shtml

Chip
Old 16 May 2010, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I know it seems like I'm making a fuss over nothing and millions of people park in the airport car park but this is the problem...

I wanted to stay the night in a nearby hotel so I could wake up later in the morning and not have the stress that I might get caught up in some kind of traffic jam on the way there.
If I did that and then dropped the wife/kids at the terminal and went to park the car my wife would be left with two small children(one in a pram) and a trolley piled up with 3-4 suitcases and 2-3 bits of hand luggage.

It would be impossible for my wife to push a pram and big trolley and hold the hand of the elder child.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but I like to start my holiday off with the least amount of stress possible. The hotel I stayed in last year was just fantastic and we vowed to always stay there in future. They had secure underground parking at the time and you never had to hand the keys over.
No one can blame you for that. Hope it all works out well for you anyway.

Les
Old 16 May 2010, 12:35 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

In March I parked for 15 days in the Short stay parking at the South Terminal at Gatwick for only £15 more than the Long stay. Drive up to the terminal and walk in, dead easy. Booked it through the airport website.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:42 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I'm totally with you mate, I'm exactly the same.

I have 2 boys aged 3 and 5 and we're flying from Manchester in 8 days, (assuming that pain in the *** of an ash cloud behaves itself), I think we'd be able to manage now with one of us holding hands of both boys and the other pushing the trolley but not so long ago when youngest was in a pushchair - forget it!!!

My wife already thinks I'm paranoid anyway as I never let go of my childs hands when out, always make sure I'm on the side by the road etc etc

Can you not get a lift from anyone?

We're going to be driven to the airport by the father-in-law and he'll be picking us up and it makes the whole process so much easier.

Have a nice holiday!!

Old 16 May 2010, 04:45 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Chip, thanks I will look into the Sofitel. From what I can tell you park your own car and it isn't moved by anyone. Its a mile away from the hotel and you take a shuttle back but thats not the end of the world as I'll be doing that the evening before the flight so can do it on my own with family settled at the hotel.

Reffro, that sounds like a simple but effective solution! Stay at the hotel I like the night before (which is now cheaper than before because it no longer gives on site parking) drive to the short term car park and then just walk to the terminal! Bingo!
I shall look into that as well.