Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scumrun 2010, full review!

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2010, 07:47 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scumrun 2010, full review!

This is our fifth year of doing the Scumrun and as such we are part of a brotherhood. Prior to the rally starting, we were told that only 15% of the field had done a previous rally. This meant we are veterans and what do veterans do? We do things bigger and better than the new guys, that's what.

First up, we needed a theme and a vehicle. It was difficult to top last year's entry (Ex police Volvo T-5 Estate) in terms of outright speed, comfort and grunt, so we had to think laterally... or to be more accurate, vertically

In the end, in true scumrun style, we settled on centering our entire entry on a really weak pun. Take one Espace, this one to be precise:

and turn it into an espace shuttle. a weekends work, some cable ties, a few flowerpots, some spraypaint, a bit of MDF and 75 metres of gaffa tape later and we were finished.

As well as that, say hello to your crew for the mission.

Our original four was reduced to three on the day, however, Major Malfunction, Major Misunderstanding and Major Ballache wouldnt let a man down ruin our mission, we are highly trained professionals.....

Well, most of the time

If you think that's scary, then think again, our fundraising was actually the scariest part of the challenge, but our friends and family rose magnificently to the challenge and two days before we were due to set off, we had reached and breached our target. Thank you one and all for your kind donations, you made what you'll see next happen.

Thursday the 15th hoved into view and a fully stickered up Renault Espace sat ready and waiting for action on my drive. A few errands to run and a few team members to pick up and we were on our way! The launch party venue was our next destination, this year being a race course just outside Worthing. We got there a little later than planned and half the field were already there.

Once we'd signed on and ditched the motor, we went to the party venue. Two huge marquees had been pressed into service and we joined the rest of the scumrunners inside.

Not only were we off on a trip of a lifetime, we also had some special guests, cue the cheeky girls turning up and cue lots of oafish behaviour, set to some truely shocking music

After the cheeky girls were finished, we were briefed for the upcoming rally. The standard safety briefing from the event team was overshadowed by the handover of the cheque for this years chosen charity. a huge cheque for a just as huge 87000 pounds was duely handed over, which is a solid 30k over what was raised last year. 8)

After that, the only thing to do was head for the ferry port and get on board for France! One night and another appalling nights sleep later and Le Havre hoved into view. All the scumrunners got together after disembarking, cue the first pictures on french soil!

After a few group photos, we were given our routecards. Different from last year in that we had cryptic challenges to complete, as well as a destination to reach, our first checkpoint was in belgium!

We were given an address in the rough location of the checkpoint, with the clue of "***** wonka had one, but this is the biggest in the world" so I guess we were looking for the largest chocolate factory in the world then! The only downside was when they said the checkpoint was in the vicinity, they meant the co-ordinates were 47 miles away from the bloody thing! a bit of swearing and a satnav adjustment and we found our way though....

Our next challenge was to get to the campsite, in amsterdam! On the way we had to find a windmill and handily enough, one presented itself 500 yards down the road from the factory

They didnt say it had to be real!

After that, it was full steam ahead for the dam. Negotiating 2 hours of traffic outside Antwerp was a pain in t'****, but eventually we got there. Just as well, as the organisers had laid on coaches to the centrum, as well as a pub crawl round town, which ended in the VIP area of Escape!

Unfortunately, we couldnt make it all the way, everyone in our convoy was finished from the day. I was feeling particularly rough having gone for near on 48 hours without proper sleep (memo to self, dont go out on the salsh the night before the rally!) So a few drinks, a walk round the grot shops and some food and we found our way back about midnight and got some rest.

8 glorious, wonderful, heavenly, sleep filled hours later and I woke to the sound of revving engines and sizzling fryups. Day two was upon us, and we were raring to go, so after packing up, we made our way to the carpark to receive the day's route card.

It was a magical mystery tour of Benelux, with our first destination as maastrict! Todays clue was a fiendish one, with "Port of Evil" and a fuzzy photo of some battlements to help. Nothing a convoy over to the town and pestering the locals wouldn't solve though!

Upon entering maastricht, we quickly got ourselves lost. Here's us parked up and lost.

Eventually our pidgeon flemish yealded a map and after a thorough seach, someone with good eyesight noticed "Hell Poort" Soon after we were in the area and taking stupid photos

After a brief layover to get some refreshments, we headed to our next checkpoint, a return trip to a place of infamy, the nurburgring! Once we hit the motorway, the insolvency was go for throttle up and 100mph blasts down the autobhan made short work of the distance. Once we got there the obligatory photo outside the welcome centre and it was time to camp for the night

Camping was in the same place as before, and handily enough there was a bar as well. After squaring away our gear we got to work and several pints of rocket fuel german beer and lots of singing later, I hit the sack with the forest spinning :mrgreen:

Waking up the next morning and getting breath tested was my first priority. We'd really enjoyed the night before, but it was down to business. The route cards we'll get to later, I had a spacecraft to pilot round the most fearsome race circuit in the world. Luckily we'd done our homework the after being refused entry in the Delorean in 2008, everything on the Espace shuttle was removable, so we set off and bought some tickets!

Our preparations paid off, we got a few smirks, but we were waved right onto the circuit. I know what a killer this thing is, but with Craig in the back calling out passing cars (there were a lot), we made it round without incident.

We were about to leave when Dave stated he wanted to take her round. Before we knew it, we were lining up again with me in the passenger seat. Dave brought ignorance to the table, it was obvious he'd not read what I'd read, and enjoyed his lap immensely. Here is a photo of dave dropping the Espace into the Karrusell.

Having survived our laps, we made haste for our next checkpoint, Luxembourg! Our mission was to find a copy of the national coat of arms and photo the car in front of it. A few hours (and another non stop 100mph down the autobahn) and we found what we were looking for in luxembourg city. Unfortunately it was guarded by a man with a gun who we were sure wouldnt appreciate three spacemen parking their rusting space shuttle outside his sentry box!

If that wasnt enough, we were also attracting a lot of attention! Fortunately, after explaining ouselves to a bunch of american tourists, we managed to score in more ways than one by coming back to find us to tell us we'd found it. Our crew of three became a crew of six as we sped round the corner and found our quarry.

And for helping us out so much, we couldnt go without getting a photo with the lovely ladies who'd assisted us

Mission accomplished and it was time for a new country! Paris beckoned, but first we had to get to versailles following another cryptic clue. After negotiating the sod that is the Parisien perephique, we got the last photo in the bag before sunset.

Gay Paris was our destination and we touched down in a nice campsite next to the Seine. A quiet night followed due to the ineptitude of the barstaff at said campsite, which saw most of the scumrunners repairing to the campstoves and personal stashes of beer.

The next morning and the final day of the rally was upon us. After packing up and getting fuel, we got our route card for the day. A morning of pissing off the natives and seeing how far we could push our luck and how close we could park to various national landmarks followed. With the gendarmes being routinely armed, what could possibly go wrong?

Unfortunately our first stopoff was halted by large amounts of anti terrorism blockades preventing us from driving underneath it, we settled on impressive instead.

Next up was the arc du triomphe. Very easy to get to, its other features include barriers which are a lot easier to drive around!

you'll notice the lad's attention has strayed somewhat, this is because some armed police are patiently telling us to get the hell off their landmark

In the end we settled for the entirely legal "couple of hundred yards away at the edge of the roundabout" shot.

After that, there was one more shot to get, the Louvre! This was a bit of ******* to find, but a combination of pigeon french, pinpoint map reading and pissing off the parking attendents (at least they werent armed this time!) we got our final shot in the bag, courtesy of a very helpful australian tourist.

After that, the only thing we had to do was get to the ferry in Le Havre for the boat back. We had been caning the autoroutes all through the rally, so this time we settled for the back roads. A good decision all round I feel!

Getting back onboard the ferry was a mission and a half, with crashing computers and 1000's of stranded air passengers to process, it was a solid hour and a half between turning up and checking in, but we got there eventually. Here's the rest of the field as it arrived.

Awards!
The winner of the 2010 spirit of the scumrun was....
The Cortina driving manc bumblebees!

The winner of the best dressed scum was.....
The NYC taxi driving villiage people!

The inner of the best modified car was....
The "dumb and Dumber" dog transit!

We didnt get anything for our efforts, but as previous winners, two awards would be just greedy.

Besides, we dont do this for awards, we do this for the experience and to raise as much as possible. Only three sponsors this year, but sterling support ensured our rally was possible.
http://www.corsetrouge.com
http://www.clsm.net
http://licknstickgraphics.co.uk/ These guys deserve a special mention, not only did they sort us out with our graphics at zero notice, they didnt want paying or accreditation on the car. All of our sponsors have gone above and beyond this year. Visit their websites and spend some money!

This was a brilliant rally. If I'm honest with you, I was a little disappointed that the first two legs were the same as the last two on the 2008 rally, but the final day more than made up for it. Even though the distance was down, the new challenges were a good alternative. Great weather, better locations, good content, a classic Scumrun rally indeed.

As for the espace, it performed faultlessly all weekend. Throughout the 1250 mile, 4 day rally, the Insolvency took everything from Paris's Arc Du Triomphe to the Nurburgring in its stride. Nothing phased it, she was equally happy crawling round a sweltering Parisian Perephique or galloping down desrestricted Autobahn at 100mph+. Not only that, she was on Ebay for a sum total of four days before some guy rung me up and demanded I sell it to him. I even got 1000 quid more than I paid for it. I cant believe I'm saying this, but it would seem a french automatic was our best rally car yet.

And that's about it for this year, but Team CLSM will be back for 2011. We already have a killer theme lined up. Say no more, but it will be our best yet. See you next year!
astraboy, Davespice and Bevvy
Old 02 May 2010, 08:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I noticed that you were back in the same campsite at the 'Ring...
Old 02 May 2010, 08:29 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality
Old 02 May 2010, 10:12 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome write up, excellent pictures.

loved this one:

(who is the fit bird in the space suit in the bottom left corner )
Old 02 May 2010, 11:16 PM
IPALMER
Scooby Regular

looks sooo much fun

Really hoping the plan comes together to do this next year . .

Need :

1. confirmation of crew
2. cheap banger
3. sponsorship
4. entrance fees
5. beer
6. tent

not much to do then

And it's all for chaarity mate
Old 02 May 2010, 11:34 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular