Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

3D TV - Damn and blast it !

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 07:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D TV - Damn and blast it !

Just had a demo of a 3D TV and I was all set to hate the idea and see it as a gimmick, but I have to say I was bowled over. Fantastically clear image and excellent depth. Characters leapt out of the screen and only stopped when they reached the edge of the screen, where it looked like they'd float right into the room. I had convinced myself that there was simply no need for it in the home, and wanted to preserve 3D for 'special' movies at the cinema, and 'extra special' ones at IMAX, but even the brief clip of Avatar we viewed was better than it looked at IMAX, and whichever Pixar-ish animation we watched it was simply brought to life. We watched a few minutes of Ratatoulie on normal BluRay first to set a standard, but the 3D added so much to the viewing experience it was amazing. Even the missuse who is usually very anti-tech was very impressed. 3D processing of a 2D signal was crap, and I wouldn't use that feature unless they improve it greatly though, and the limited quantity of good 3D material means I can probably wait a year or two, also allowing prices to settle down. It was only a Samsung LED LCD set we watched, so the Panasonic plasma's which will be ready to view next week are sure to make my credit card cry And I want a 65" too
Old 27 April 2010, 07:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw the Chelsea match on sunday in the pub in 3d and was impressed with how good it looked although I don't think you could wear the glasses for long as they would do your head in and definately give you headaches.
Old 27 April 2010, 07:15 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never seen it in action but i would love to, im thinking of trying the pc approach, i have a 5970 that is geared for 3dtv at a later date, from what i can gather all i'll need it a screen with a 120hz refresh rate or higher.

3dtv is certainly being pushed in a big way and who can blame them, i might just wait for oled screens to become mainstream before making the jump.

So you watched 3dtv on a normal screen, wasn't adapted for 3dtv at all?

I assume you had to wear shutter glasses?
Old 13 May 2010, 08:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Update - OK, just demo'd the Panasonic VT20 3DTV and OMFG Stunning is an understatement. I actually ducked when water splashed up on a clip of white water rafting filmed in the Grand Canyon The detail was jaw-dropping, like you are looking through a window, whereas the LCD Samsung last week was good, but good as in it was a 3D TV and you didn't forget that. With this Pana I could forget I was watching an electronic device and feel like I was in the place in the picture, almost The depth of field of the 3D effect was also significantly better, with perspective even changing if you moved around, just like in real life. If I were buying now, I have found my winner
Old 13 May 2010, 10:01 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

be carefull...have you read this here
Old 13 May 2010, 10:09 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

how much are these things looking to sell for?
Old 13 May 2010, 10:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'd leave this well along for a few years. Pop down to the cinema to enjoy it, and let the technology stabilise. There are many different competing formats, and almost no content.

HD 3D is a way off yet

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2010, 11:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The 50" set I viewed was £2200 list, but there is a price-matching war starting The Pana sets include 2x sets of glasses and I believe they retail at about £80 a pair thereafter. The Samsung is cheaper, BUT you have to buy the glasses at £100 a pair, actually making it more expensive I believe, and it is nowhere near as good IMHO.

Luminous, I agree ! I'll be waiting a year or even two for the tech to improve and more media to be available, plus I aren't ready to change the TV yet anyway. I have to say though, that Pana is foofing brilliant, and if I had that kind of money to spare I wouldn't hesitate for a second in bolting a 58" to my living room wall
Old 13 May 2010, 11:52 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I don't get it. Why bother if they only show fotball or films?

Now, 3D ****...
Old 14 May 2010, 10:42 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Luminous
I'd leave this well along for a few years. Pop down to the cinema to enjoy it, and let the technology stabilise. There are many different competing formats, and almost no content.

HD 3D is a way off yet
What about all those 3D Blu Ray movies then?

Geezer
Old 14 May 2010, 10:53 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hux309
Never seen it in action but i would love to, im thinking of trying the pc approach, i have a 5970 that is geared for 3dtv at a later date, from what i can gather all i'll need it a screen with a 120hz refresh rate or higher.
This is the route I'd take too, just invested in a GTX470 graphics card which supports it. 3D tv will take a while to take off, but I reckon 3D games would be awesome & certainly feasible in the not too distant future.
Old 14 May 2010, 12:37 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why buy a 3D tv when 3D projectors are now available?
Old 14 May 2010, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Update - OK, just demo'd the Panasonic VT20 3DTV and OMFG Stunning is an understatement. I actually ducked when water splashed up on a clip of white water rafting filmed in the Grand Canyon The detail was jaw-dropping, like you are looking through a window, whereas the LCD Samsung last week was good, but good as in it was a 3D TV and you didn't forget that. With this Pana I could forget I was watching an electronic device and feel like I was in the place in the picture, almost The depth of field of the 3D effect was also significantly better, with perspective even changing if you moved around, just like in real life. If I were buying now, I have found my winner
I really wish you had not told us about that!

Les
Old 14 May 2010, 01:33 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I saw a 3D TV / Blu-Ray setup in John Lewis last week end. I can't remember what manufacturer it was (possibly Sony). It was only a small screen (poss 42") but I must say I was slightly underwhelmed. While watching under the shop lights there was a definite flicker noticeable with the lighting in the shop. I guess it's going to be less if you're in a darkened room at home. I also saw that the film tended to freeze a few times for a split second. I don't know if it's down to the type of player but it was definitely a put-off.

Oh, and if you needed any new glasses, that's £130 please...
Old 14 May 2010, 04:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The flicker will be coming from a frequency clash between the glasses and the store lighting, which you shouldn't get at home. Also, the Sony TV will be LCD based, which after my two demo's is definitely the runt of the current litter, plasma FTW.
Old 14 May 2010, 05:09 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that mean it works better than a 3D film at the cinema? Because the two 3D films I've watched at the cinema were so so at best (Avatar and How to train your dragon)
I never felt a part of the film at all, and the feeling of depth was nothing special.
Old 14 May 2010, 05:40 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Dave WHERE ? Kerching....

LOL

dunx
Old 14 May 2010, 06:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
Why buy a 3D tv when 3D projectors are now available?

That makes more sense as it will be cheaper for bigger
Old 14 May 2010, 06:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Does that mean it works better than a 3D film at the cinema? Because the two 3D films I've watched at the cinema were so so at best (Avatar and How to train your dragon)
I never felt a part of the film at all, and the feeling of depth was nothing special.

Ifv you want to feel part of a 3d story get yourself on the spiderman ride in orlando Although its a few years old and I'm sure they will have better. Its the best ride I have been on for fun factor.
Old 14 May 2010, 08:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Yes, much better. The details and focus is miles better, and I've only watched 3D at IMAX so supposedly at its best with regards to cinema presentation. The depth is much better, and on the plasma there was real-like perspective as you moved.
Originally Posted by dunx
Dave WHERE ?
Curry's, Birstall. (Comet next door don't have them, but will beat any price and get you one, they say ).
Old 15 May 2010, 11:27 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Yes, much better. The details and focus is miles better, and I've only watched 3D at IMAX so supposedly at its best with regards to cinema presentation. The depth is much better, and on the plasma there was real-like perspective as you moved.

Curry's, Birstall. (Comet next door don't have them, but will beat any price and get you one, they say ).

Thanks. I'll go take a look at one.
Old 15 May 2010, 11:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A guy on AV Forums did a very comprehensive test before he purchased and he found that the Pana was very good for 3D, but has a flicker effect on normal 2D TV viewing. He concluded that the Samsung 3D plasma was the better option, but agreed that all the plasmas were better than their LCD counterparts.
Old 16 May 2010, 12:51 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, just had a look at the prices on the Samsung 3D plasmas and you can get a 63" one for similar monies to Pana's 50"
Old 16 May 2010, 06:00 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Must say I've been really left behind with 3D TV as I've been concentrating on my 2ch stereo kit recently (bought a lovely Lyngdorf amp that I've been playing with)

Are the glasses the same as the ones you are given at the cinema?
Old 16 May 2010, 06:48 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No, they're active shutter glasses. LCD lenses alternately blank each eye in sync with the TV alternately displaying the left and right image.

Cinema ones are simple polarising filters.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:28 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

No, they're active shutter glasses. LCD lenses alternately blank each eye in sync with the TV alternately displaying the left and right image.

Cinema ones are simple polarising filters.

Thanks
Old 17 May 2010, 12:30 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Saw these at "Best Buy" on Saturday.

Quite impressive and better than I was expecting.

From the 4 they were displaying the Panasonic seemed to look the best.
Old 17 May 2010, 12:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

considering only 11 titles are to be released this year in 3D, is there much point in buying into this yet?
Old 17 May 2010, 12:49 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I don't think I will be buying in to it just yet.
Old 17 May 2010, 03:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Me neither, but I would if I had money to burn. If you're in the market for a high end telly, then you may as well have it. Sensibly though, wait, let more media arrive, let the tech evolve, and let the price fall

Quick Reply: 3D TV - Damn and blast it !