how fooking much !!!!!!! elec bill for a quarter

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 05:11 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face how fooking much !!!!!!! elec bill for a quarter

dropped through my door on fri ...............now i live in a 2 bed maisonnete with partner , both out during the day 8 till 6.30, use tv , oven , comp , in the evenings as you do lights swithched off when not in room etc , had a lodger in the spare rom who was seldomly in due to his job . fair enough its been a cold winter and the heating was on alot and lights ect but i wasnt bargaining on this .................................................. .......................£1500

the bill says we are using 28 units a day .wtf thats more than a 9 bed mansion with a weed factory in the loft.

the board looks ok (no strange wires bodged in ) the lady upstairs is 90 so i doubt she is tapping in and next door are a nice young family who we are frienly with so i doubt its them . but it all looks ok on the electricity thieving point of view . but they are adamant that we have used that much and are demanding payment as from tomorrow after 5 hours of calls trying to explain that it would be impossible to use that much even iff we had every appliance and light on all day and night .

dunno how to go about resolving this as everyone i talk to at npower is a spaz readng from a script like robots .

any ideas
Old 27 April 2010, 05:16 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

DEffo something wrong with that I would say, have you a meter? If so when was the last time it was read?
Old 27 April 2010, 05:19 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I assume this wasn't an estimated bill then? Meter readings (current and when it was taken) match up? What sort of heating have you got, if electric then I guess it will have been used a lot over the last quarter.

Turn off and unplug everything, make sure the meter doesn't continue going up. Old type has a disc that you can see spinning when power is taken.

Get yourself one of these and monitor your usage closely: http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...tors-c-37.html
Old 27 April 2010, 05:20 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

it was read about 2 weeks ago . i have checked the meter over the weekend and the highest units we used was on sat when i had a bbq with 10 pals watching tv and playing wii and lights on till2am

it was on average i worked out about 8 units so **** knows where the 20 odd is coming from
Old 27 April 2010, 05:22 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I assume this wasn't an estimated bill then? Meter readings (current and when it was taken) match up? What sort of heating have you got, if electric then I guess it will have been used a lot over the last quarter.

Turn off and unplug everything, make sure the meter doesn't continue going up. Old type has a disc that you can see spinning when power is taken.

Get yourself one of these and monitor your usage closely: http://www.electricity-monitor.com/w...tors-c-37.html

its a new combi boiler , i have turned everything of today in the house so i will see when i get in what the reading is .
Old 27 April 2010, 05:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

When was the last meter reading before the recent one ?
Old 27 April 2010, 05:38 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i cant give advice on why its that much as its clearly very high!

But i can say soon as the matter is resolved get yourself on uswitch and try and find your self a better deal.

We lived in a 2 bedroom terraced in the winter and our bill for for elec and gas was £160 for the 1/4. Same conditions as you both working in the day also it was a bugger to keep warm.

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2010, 05:51 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

ouch thats way too much - you powering the street lights ! and I was moaning this am about my combined gas and elec bill of £340 ! -
Would be deffo tunring everytihg off and see if the elec is still flowing some where
Richard
Old 27 April 2010, 05:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One too many noughts ?
Old 27 April 2010, 06:18 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

8 units a days sounds about right if its not electric heating.
Old 27 April 2010, 08:00 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

it seems very odd , but they say thats what it is .my missus knows when they last checked it so ill ask her ,

i asked the guy on the phone at n power to guess what kind of house i live in , he said prob a b&b or hotel type dwelling lol to use that much power

so even they think its fooking high but they cant do nowt about it because they dont seem to know what to do .
Old 27 April 2010, 08:01 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

it seems very odd , but they say thats what it is .my missus knows when they last checked it so ill ask her ,

i asked the guy on the phone at n power to guess what kind of house i live in , he said prob a b&b or hotel type dwelling lol to use that much power

so even they think its fooking high but they cant do nowt about it because they dont seem to know what to do .
Old 27 April 2010, 08:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i had a bill for £4500 from southern electric when we had to reconcile our house bills prior to letting our house out

what you have to do -- if you think it is too high, is to take a meter reading every day at the same time for a week -- that will tell you what your usage is

in our case they sent a man round to check things over, turns out it was all correct, they had just been wildly underestimating our usage (due to building works - and the house being empty for about 6 months)

they did a deal there and than, and I agreed to pay £2500 @ $250 a month for a year or so
Old 27 April 2010, 09:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My advise to anyone, is sign up to Utility Warehouse.
Old 27 April 2010, 09:35 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

Did the lodger have an electric heater in his room ? If so did he leave it on all day every day ?
Do or did you have immersion electric water heater ?

Another check you can do is switch of your fuse box so every thing in the flat is off
Check to make sure the meter stops Spinning/Moving
When its of make sure no one else is in the dark as well
If it still registers you are paying for someone else supply

If you feel the meter is at fault ask for a check meter to be fitted and take readings every day at the same time each night

Dave
Old 27 April 2010, 11:11 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Ours is going to be huge too. The heating packed in before Chrimbo and you saw the winter we had. I dread it coming in. Luckily we pay S/O, so some money already paid off it.
We are wondering what to do with the heating, to be honest, it is Oil and not worth re installing as is costing the earth to heat.
The leccy is cheaper
Old 27 April 2010, 11:19 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the lodger have a cannabis factory set up in his room/attic? also is this a new build?
Old 27 April 2010, 11:23 PM
Barty77
Scooby Regular

mate i know your pain, i got my gas bill of £600 for 6 weeks use, its fookin nuts
Old 27 April 2010, 11:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

28 units a day equates to about £2:80 per day; so under £20 per week. Not unreasonable through the winter. Excluding service charges that equates to £260 per quarter. Even at their daily usage figure, the bill is 6x what it appears that it should be.

First off you have to establish that youre in dispute. Tell them what you believe that the bill should be and pay that. Go through their formal dispute procedure and then demand a letter of deadlock. Take the letter of deadlock to the ombudsman.

Its harder to help you any more with the facts available.
Old 28 April 2010, 09:11 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can post up the bill without your name & address?
Old 28 April 2010, 01:31 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
and I agreed to pay £2500 @ $250 a month for a year or so
How come you had to pay them back in dollars??

Old 28 April 2010, 02:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I read this then was passing electricity meter things in Tesco, so bought one, 0.4 kw/h so far with the Fridge/Freezer being the main culprit. That's about 3p per hour.
Old 28 April 2010, 02:31 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We've just moved into a property with pay meter (pikey thing) whilst we got 6 weeks to wait for the meter to change. We use £7 a week on electric.
Old 28 April 2010, 03:22 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

npower.

Never again. Good luck.
Old 28 April 2010, 03:36 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

my electric is about £33 a month, for a house

and thats with the wife in all day (on maternity leave) with the young one too.
gas heating though, but even that is only £70 a month.

but I have installed a triple aaa rated boiler and reroofed my house- more insulation, decent windows etc.
Old 28 April 2010, 04:30 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

got davy boy coming to have a look at the place to make sure nothing untoward is going on electricly . also because its a maisonnete a friend of mine suggested we may be paying for upstarss to by accident , now she is old has the tv and heating on 24/7 and is constantly washing stuff in the machine , sounds like a more likely candidate for a £1500 bill imo
Old 28 April 2010, 04:35 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antc
We've just moved into a property with pay meter (pikey thing) whilst we got 6 weeks to wait for the meter to change. We use £7 a week on electric.
So I am a pikey because I have a pay meter? is that right ant?
Old 28 April 2010, 06:13 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
dropped through my door on fri ...............now i live in a 2 bed maisonnete with partner , both out during the day 8 till 6.30, use tv , oven , comp , in the evenings as you do lights swithched off when not in room etc , had a lodger in the spare rom who was seldomly in due to his job . fair enough its been a cold winter and the heating was on alot and lights ect but i wasnt bargaining on this .................................................. .......................£1500

the bill says we are using 28 units a day .wtf thats more than a 9 bed mansion with a weed factory in the loft.

the board looks ok (no strange wires bodged in ) the lady upstairs is 90 so i doubt she is tapping in and next door are a nice young family who we are frienly with so i doubt its them . but it all looks ok on the electricity thieving point of view . but they are adamant that we have used that much and are demanding payment as from tomorrow after 5 hours of calls trying to explain that it would be impossible to use that much even iff we had every appliance and light on all day and night .

dunno how to go about resolving this as everyone i talk to at npower is a spaz readng from a script like robots .

any ideas
As Snazy said, when was the last time your bill was read before this 1?

If you have been getting estimated bills for the last couple of years then this may explain it. It could be 2yrs worth of underpayments catching up on you.
Old 28 April 2010, 06:54 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
So I am a pikey because I have a pay meter? is that right ant?
well around these parts you either a doley or cant pay your bills on time if you have these meters.

Quick Reply: how fooking much !!!!!!! elec bill for a quarter