Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BlackBerry OS 6

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 04:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default BlackBerry OS 6

New update for Blackberry has reached the marketing department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlO8KMv7Bx4

Now, to me it looks great and all that, but do you think they've gone a bit too Trendy? I would have slipped that one out and kept quiet about it. I mean, what do you get, an Apple style Media Player and Apple style messaging, a web browser at last - previous versions could not be considered a web browser - and do you see what those people are doing, they're touching the screen to make things work!! Who knew!!
Old 27 April 2010, 06:03 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

won't run on my bold 9000
Old 27 April 2010, 06:47 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

By what definition can previous OS browsers not be considered a web browser? I use mine for browsing daily, works perfectly.

As for the touch screens, i'm sure your well aware Jack that Blackberry have been making touch screen phones for sometime, and that most Blackberry users will still prefer to stick with their keypads
Old 27 April 2010, 06:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
As for the touch screens, i'm sure your well aware Jack that Blackberry have been making touch screen phones for sometime, and that most Blackberry users will still prefer to stick with their keypads
Shame the touchscreens they make are rubbish. I went into Vodafone to get the Storm when it came out. How disappointed was I when I had a go. Awful thing.

tbh I haven't tried Storm2 as I've got iphone, but I will be looking at whatever is out when my contract is up..... you never know....
Old 27 April 2010, 06:53 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I agree re the touch screens, I have an 8900, just wanted to point out to Jack that BB have not suddenly decided to use touch screens as he seems to think
Old 27 April 2010, 06:55 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Although it does seem with this OS, the focus forward is for touch screen... they'd better up their game then...

Dan
Old 27 April 2010, 07:11 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

They have the 'Qwerty' input crew market pretty much sewn up so it makes sense to make sure the new OS more focused on the touch screen side while maintaining their core market. Hopefully it will run on the 9700.

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2010, 07:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Exactly Dan, well read.

The tiny keys on a Blackberry are a pain, yes they were better than using a numeric keypad - hence Blackberry fans shouting "Full Querty" - but most would prefer something larger and on a mobile device the screen is the only choice. Blackberry have recognised this and have changed focus. There'll be screams from the die hards, but touch screen is the future.

Now for the browser, maybe you've added another browser, but I have a standard Blackberry here and can tell you that what they call web browsing isn't. If I get really bored I'll charge it up and make a video.
Old 27 April 2010, 07:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Lets be real here, pretty much every smart phone now has a Qwerty keyboard. Years ago when Blackberrys hit the market it was rare, most had numeric only. I doubt the die hards will stop chanting it, but it's a bit silly. Most Blackberrys have a 'mechanical' keyboard and I have to say after using one last week they can keep it, how people with Sausage fingers use one I have no idea, lots of backspace I would think.
Old 27 April 2010, 07:25 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Standard BB browser on OS5 works fine, you can download Bolt if you want something more visually appealing.

I have fingers bigger than most peoples big toes and I have no trouble using the 9700 keys.

Jack's trolling his iPhone point of view again, blah blah.
Old 27 April 2010, 07:26 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I'm a proud owner of sausage fingers and a qwerty keyboard and have no problems, lets be honest Jack, you are apple through and through, you own shares in the company by your own admission so you will only ever put appples main competetor down.
Old 27 April 2010, 07:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I may have to get used to a Blackberry again at some point, so I'm pleased they're moving in an Apple like direction. The new interface looks good, modern. I was definitely trolling on the Trendy statement, I mean, what were they thinking, business suits and the Black Eyed Peas???
Old 27 April 2010, 07:59 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

And you think the fraudulent 'everything loads in milliseconds' adverts by Apple are any better?

I would imagine that advert is for our cousins across the pond, they may 'dig' that kind of thing.
Old 27 April 2010, 08:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apple are trendy, that's a given. And come on, Apple shaving a few milliseconds off of a real demo has nothing on that video. It's not even running on a phone.
Old 27 April 2010, 09:29 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I think Jack's just happy that Apple have given him a persona. Previously I doubt anybody even noticed his posts.
Old 27 April 2010, 09:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

That is extremely disappointing. Especially moving towards the stupid toytown SMS interface that the iPhone gives us. Some of us are not kids and don't need silly speech bubbles and the likes, but we would like to know when our SMSs have been delivered and accurately when incoming ones have been received, let's at least hope the BB OS retains this basic functionality.

As for touch screens Apple's is a work of genius I grant you but some of us don't need them and don't want them. I can do any basic phone task much quicker on my old Nokia 6300 than I ever will be able to on the iPhone or any other touch phone. Yes I know it does lots of extra things, but that isn't much use to me if the basics don't cut the mustard.

Oh and since when was Safari on the iPhone a good browser? The Opera browser is much better.
Old 27 April 2010, 10:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I think Jack's just happy that Apple have given him a persona. Previously I doubt anybody even noticed his posts.
Can we try not to make this personal. It stings just a little.
Old 27 April 2010, 10:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Oh and since when was Safari on the iPhone a good browser? The Opera browser is much better.
You can't mean that, have you used Opera? I would think the only reason Apple allowed it in the store was to make Safari look even better.
Old 27 April 2010, 10:06 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
You can't mean that, have you used Opera? I would think the only reason Apple allowed it in the store was to make Safari look even better.
I do mean it. At least Opera allows me to scroll a textbox. Faster than Safari too. And will get better with new releases.

On real computers it is an infinitely better browser than Safari ever will be.
Old 27 April 2010, 11:05 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Apple are trendy, that's a given. And come on, Apple shaving a few milliseconds off of a real demo has nothing on that video. It's not even running on a phone.
It's a bit more than a few milliseconds. Milliseconds are so small it would be pointless to cut that little out.

I agree it does look a bit trendy but blackberry have been doing that for the last couple of years, and have gone more mainstream whilst keeping the same great features they have always had. I also dis agree with your comments on the keypad, though the buttons are small they are shaped so they can be used. My 60 year old dad hasn't got the best vision but he got one the other day and looked at the keys and thought he'd have to send it back but after trying it he absolutely loves it.

besides if you feel that going a 'bit trendy' is against blackberry, its just them exploring new markets. Had apple never have done that then you wouldn't have your iPhone or you wouldn't be oggling over a shiney new iPad.
Old 27 April 2010, 11:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Now that gets my vote as post of 2010
Old 27 April 2010, 11:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Post of 2010, and it's about me, I'm honoured.
Old 28 April 2010, 09:21 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

So the new Blackberry web browser is based on WebKit, great choice, WebKit is an Apple product that was released as open source. It's used for Safari and Chrome. So, not only are you getting an Apple like Media player and messaging, your getting an Apple browser as well. I could be tempted if they get the touch interface right.
Old 28 April 2010, 09:28 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Please Jack give it a rest , it's getting a bit tedious now.
Old 28 April 2010, 09:34 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Antc, this is an informative thread regarding a subject that I and others find interesting, I realise that a few people try to spoil it by launching personal attacks but we can cope with that.

If you don't like the subject or the content then it's your choice not to read it. It's not a feed, you clicked the link.
Old 28 April 2010, 09:51 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ok I'll bite You spoilt it from the start, by making a dig at blackberry copying iPhones layout which in tun luring people into a repetative argument we have to read on a daily basis.

I was interested in the thread OS6 blackberry not qwerty keyboards are ****e and sausage fingers.

I like technology based threads especially if a new os is out or something but after a few posts it's then turns into every other phone thread bleating how superior apple is.

I have no doubt your apple knowledge is extensive and if I ever needed help on my iPhone you'd proberbly be the one to help on here.

So I've had my opinion on the matter and not going to be drawn into jack versus ScoobyNet debate.
Old 28 April 2010, 10:09 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

My view is that RIM are doing the right thing, making their offering more Apple like may lower the amount of people that I see carrying an iPhone/Pod for themselves and a Blackberry that's issued by work and that can only be a good thing. Was it a dig, not really, I for one will be very happy if the interface works that way and I have to use one. Is that so wrong?

So far, I'm the only person that's said anything positive about it and I'll keep adding to this thread, unless someone wants to start another?? If people choose to drag it down then so be it. My suggestion would be to only post to threads when you have something to say about the subject not the posters.
Old 28 April 2010, 10:31 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I would but everyone who's says something different to your opinion you want to turn it into a arguement . Personally I don't have a problem with you like some clearly do on here.

Now for my input on the thread to validate my existence on it, I'm surprised they are doing a new OS so quickly after 5 which was still buggy at times.I have big hands and sausage fingers and found the 8900 keyboard not a problem.
Old 28 April 2010, 10:38 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol you have salami finger Ant, beyond sausage fingers.
There is a simple answer re the OS's, but I wont get boring about them
Old 28 April 2010, 10:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

is it anything to do with choice ?