Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bike Licence

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2002, 10:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right, I love the scooby, and I love driving it, but ever since I rode a silly little bike in a field many, many, many years ago, I've always wanted to get my bike licence, but I've never got round to it, cos I'm lazy, plus other reasons as well. What with fuel and insurance costs rising, getting a bike for the, albeit short commute to work, does kind of appeal to me, plus it seems that quite a few of the other subaru chaps have bikes as well, so could be a laff.

So, the question is, how do I go about getting my bike licence?

Ideally, I don't want to have to poodle around on a 250 for a few years before getting a 'big' bike, so is there anyway to fast track to getting a big bike licence. I'm not silly, so won't pass and then go out and get an R1, no matter how much that does appeal, so I'd probably, if I were to get a bike, get a CBR or something, though would appreciate advice on the best 'big' or 'bigish' bike for a newbie biker, when/if I become one.

I know you can go on a course type thing, you know one of those 'you don't pass you don't pay' type things. Do these exist to get you up to big bike status, or is it a case of you have to pass the small one then toddle around for a while before getting a bigger bike.

As you can probably tell, I know next to nothing about this.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:26 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

looking at DVLA site, could this be what I'm after?

Riders aged 21 or over may opt to take a test on a large motorcycle. On passing the test they are immediately qualified to ride any motorcycle without restrictions. This option is called Direct Access. You must complete CBT, and if necessary, a motorcycle theory test and a practical test on a motorcycle of at least 35kW (46.6bhp).

Old 27 March 2002, 10:27 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

the words you are looking for are 'Direct Access'. Lets you ride a whatever from the day you pass your test. Check the link for some more info.

www.doningtonpark.co.uk/direct_access.htm

I wouldn't dis 250's though. You can learn a lot about handling and corner speed. It would probably make you a more complete rider in the long term. Any 600 sportsbike is mental. 60 in under 4 seconds and 170ish flat out, but still reasonably controlable. If you go down the R1, Blade, 1300 Gixer route as a first bike you will probably hurt yourself.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:29 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

DOH - it was working a minute ago - Just do a search for direct access
Old 27 March 2002, 10:30 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks FB, going to do some reading. Direct Access looks like the right term indeed.

Not dissing 250's probably just what I'll get, though the 'man' in me will say go for a CBR or something.

I know full well that if I went straight for an R1 or similar then I'd be in the nearest hedge quicker than you can say "look at that fat kit on a bike!" joking apart I know how dangerous bikes can be, and more to the point, how other road users disregard the needs of bikers, so I'd be very careful.
Old 27 March 2002, 10:31 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

just tried it, don't worry mate, not your fault, will do a search.
cheers
Old 27 March 2002, 10:35 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

just having a quick read of http://motobykz.co.uk/Motorbiketraining.htm

so, is it correct that I'd not need to do the theory test because I have a full car driving license? cool!
Old 27 March 2002, 11:10 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ahh, did wonder why the kwak owner was looking at me in a funny way! Glad to have seen you.

Thanks for the info, think I'll give the place you mention a look up.

Think the 400 CBR sounds like a lot of fun.

of course, I'm lazy so probably won't even get off my *** to do this, but at least I'll know!

cheers
Old 27 March 2002, 11:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Do these sound like the guys?

Kent & Sussex Rider Training
The Motorcycling Centre
Sandhurst Rd
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN2 3DB
Tel: 01892 518189

Old 27 March 2002, 11:14 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

what bike you go for depends on stuff like a) your height & b) what you plan on using it for

Although stunning fun in the roundabout surfing stakes, a vfr 400 is pretty hopeless if you're 6'4" and want to tour to the south of france with your missus and three weeks of luggage... (and I just know that someone is going to post that i'm talking cr4p coz they're 7'2" and drove to the ukraine with their wife and 8 kids all on a 'priller 250...)

If you're after something sensible that you can commute with, scratch on and go places with a pillion, then one of the rotax 650 single type things are worth looking at (bmw f650, aprilla pegaso, etc). My wife got one of these as a first bike, and although its got around 1/3 of the power of my bike its loads of fun and will keep up with the sports bikes down the lanes. Cheapish to buy, reliable, doesnt damage to badly when you drop it (its your first bike - you will drop it...). Then flog it after a year when you've got a better idea of what you want.

The hornet 600 definately worth looking at - cbr600f2 engine, 85bhp at the back wheel which is fast enough. Or a few years old vfr750 if you want an all rounder (back to the ukraine with the family)

I guess its like someone coming on the board and saying they want to pass their driving test & what car should they buy. The 400's are a bit like the lotus elise - light, fast, not too powerful. Ideal first car ? mmm...

Old 27 March 2002, 11:24 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice.

How did you know I was six foot four though?

Old 27 March 2002, 11:26 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

where's a decent bike shop? there's one in paddock wood (motorcycle city?) where else localish is there to go and drool, umm, look at some bikes.

Plus, leathers n lids, what's the best for a begginer?
Old 27 March 2002, 11:27 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yeah, they have moved, there is a listing for them on yell.co.uk in thier new premisises not far from the old (sandhurst road I think)
Old 27 March 2002, 11:29 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

i ended up selling a cbr600 cause it was too small - i used to do sunday rides of 350 - 400 miles, london - s wales, mid wales & back. I'd be in agony by the time I was heading back. But i remember talking to some guy who reckoned his rs250 was the best tourer you could buy. Each to their own I guess.

Old 27 March 2002, 11:31 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

just a quick blast eh Jon? and I thought my little 130 odd mile weekend jaunts in the scoob were excessive

I'm more and more tempted by this bike thing now.
Old 27 March 2002, 11:38 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

what have I let myself in for Think I'll end up paying out more on the bike than the scoob!
Old 27 March 2002, 11:51 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Markus - i was only thinking about the same questions last weekend. It is so tempting as my fiance's uncle is in the World Sidecar/Superbike game, but i am just concerned that almost every rider I know has had a serious accident on one.

Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe i should just get a road legal sidecar rig.
Old 27 March 2002, 01:56 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

lol @ druddle - yeah that would be the safe option. Not. Have you actually seen these things ???

I can imagine it - cruising down the M1 @ 85 mph, "**** where's my passenger gone ???"

Old 27 March 2002, 02:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A question about lids.

can I get a lid that will be legal for both bike and also for use on a *car* trackday? assume a basic lid won't be car trackday compliant?
Old 27 March 2002, 02:25 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

It should be - a motorbike lid needs to pass impact and abraision test were a car lid only needs to pass the impact tests. AFAIK they are the same test to meet BS
Old 27 March 2002, 02:27 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

yep - just about anything is "legal" for a car track day. I've seen folk wearing paragliding lids... You could put a paper mache baloon on your head and they'd be happy.

get a bike lid with a acu gold badge (some of the bike track days take lids a bit more seriously than most of the car days). Cant go wrong with Aria, Shoei, etc

jon

Old 27 March 2002, 04:34 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

jon

uncle-in-law works for Steve Abbot sidecar rig (championship leaders at the mo) and he was a passenger in a sidecar until he came out at the IOM. the passengers are not human they are cyborgs. they must be, you wouldnt catch any human doing what they do !!

imagine it if i took a corner a bit quick - oops where the fiance gone. maybe thats not such a bad idea.......
Old 27 March 2002, 10:11 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Markus, YHM.

But here I'll say that if you're looking for a good dealer local(ish) to you then you should think about Premier Suzuki in West Wickham. They like Scoobs, too 020 8777 8040.

As far as lids go, Bell Helmets used to have a great slogan. "You got a ten dollar head? Buy a ten dollar helmet."

I've got an Arai that cost an arm and a leg. It's my third and I won't wear anything else. Sod the money - if it's good enough to survive a high speed getoff at the Nurburgring then it's good enough to replace with the same thing.

Cheers,

SB

PS Spring park Motors are just down the road from Premier. I'm a lucky guy - I can walk to my car *and* bike dealer. *AND* I'm really happy woth both of 'em
Old 27 March 2002, 10:17 PM
robin ledger
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cor, I dunno,

I my day you borrowed a Honda 50 booked a test and passed at age 16

Then you just had to figure out how to raise the money to buy a big bike

p.s. current machine is an Yamaha XV1600 (if anyone knows what that is) V twin monster - 100ft lbs torque at 2000 rpm

Quick Reply: Bike Licence