Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

E36 M3 v MY04 STI

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2010, 08:01 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E36 M3 v MY04 STI

With the nice weather here I like the idea of a convertible and in particular the E36 M3.

There are some beauts on Pistonheads with really low miles but I fear a change would lead me dissapointed as the last 4 cars I have had were/are Imprezas. My current car is well modded and 370-380 bhp.

Would it be as much fun as my STI which is only used at weekends when the weather is fine and would the performance difference be noticeable?
Old 24 April 2010, 09:40 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never been in one but understand from reading around that they often don't make their quoted power and they carry around 150kg of weight over your Sti so i imagine the M3 wouldn't see which way your Scoob went
Old 24 April 2010, 09:50 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Totally different sort of car mate, different style of drive, power delivery etc but the car certainly is no slouch!!!

The E36 EVO's 3.2 are well known for having Vanos failures (twin Vanos), the early 3.0 E36's didn't have this issue but didn't make as much power, also the SMG boxes are toilet so go manual

The car if driven in anger will certainly give you lots of fun!

An E36 convertible will set you back about 9K now-a-days I suspect........ Why not pay and extra grand or so and get an E46 M3 ?
Old 24 April 2010, 10:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Never been in one but understand from reading around that they often don't make their quoted power and they carry around 150kg of weight over your Sti so i imagine the M3 wouldn't see which way your Scoob went
A mate ofmine had one a few years back. His was on an M plate and he never serviced it and it was abused.
From a stand still my MY03 STi with 330-340 bhp put 3-4 car lengths on it initially however I reckon if we were rolling there would have been nothing in it. His rear tyres were like slicks.
Old 25 April 2010, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had the EVO and loved the car, both for its looks and as a driver's car. Its roadholding was excellent and was notable for its lack of roll when being cornered fast.

I had to have the Vanos replaced because the early ones used to wear but the later ones used hardened steel internals which sorted them out.

The usual high build quality and well appointed as you might expect.

Les
Old 25 April 2010, 12:55 PM
wrx-kurt
Scooby Regular

i ve had both STI and e36 evo coupe, both lovley cars. m3 is lovely to drive all the time and good amounts of fun too. handles really well for a rear wheel drive car. i think you will miss your STI thou, as just a much nicer car to drive for fun.

As stated above two completely different cars. The one good thing about m3 is they are so happy **** and so easy to drift, but heavy motors. They are a cruising motor and easy to drive, as the STI is all out monster and to much fun as you know, think you will miss that.

Here is a couple of pic's of mine about 7 years ago, i put 19inch oz on it which i thought looked cool

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	3708

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3backside.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	3709
Old 25 April 2010, 01:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wish you had not done that-I want another one now!

Les

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2010, 03:39 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

With it being normally aspirated, are they tuneable?
Old 25 April 2010, 09:41 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

They are not massively tuneable to be fair for sensible money...... you can obviously put induction kit on it, have it chipped etc but you are not going to get the massive gains you have come to love with the STI.

You can However, supercharge and Turbo charge the E36 but I think it costs damn near 5K for that work to be done.
Old 26 April 2010, 10:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You really have to work at it to get the sort of gains that you achieve from just stepping up the boost on a turbocharged engine. Mind you the EVO is not bad on performance even if it is not in the same class as a well tweaked up Scooby.

Les
Old 26 April 2010, 09:08 PM
wrx-kurt
Scooby Regular

my mate has got a e46 shape m3 supercharged and is bloody quick. Still it cost him just shy of 4k to do the work and is running 430bhp. It's so hard to keep it in a straight line thou.

I chipped mine and put exhaust and filter on it and got 362bhp out of it, any more and would of haved to be supercharged. Do miss it vut don't in other ways. Anyone said they were bad on fuel, but i think all the scoobies i have had and have is much worse. I would like a e46 m3 but got 3 kids and it's not enough room for me and the family.

I'm glad i have had one but scooby all day long!!!!!!
Old 26 April 2010, 10:12 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i would keep the scoob mate as i have driven both trust me when your scoobs gone i think you will be very disappointed. i would test drive both cars one after the other if possible to give you a good idea on the pro,s and cons of each one and then make a decision on which you would want to live with! ps with our british summers its not worth buying a convertible as they only last 3 days then its back to the rain and the cold lol
Old 27 April 2010, 03:38 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 360ish bhp scooby and it kept up quite well with my brothers M5...in Germany...from 0 to 150mph - though i just felt like i was shifting through more gears where he did not need to as much..