Dwp trying to claw dads pension back

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2010, 12:53 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dwp trying to claw dads pension back

My Dad died on the 14th of february, and I notified the dwp on the 15th the day his state pension was paid. At the time I was told that they would not be taking the money back as the payment was already in the system. So upon closing the account I donated the money along with donations from the funeral to the British heart foundation.
Today however I received 2 letters from the dwp demanding the money back as they had made an error. I have rung them to explain what I was told when I notified them and what I had done with the money but had to hang up to stop me going off on a rant when the bloke on the other end of the phone accused me of stealing public funds.

Anyone know if this money legally has to be paid back? The sum we are talking about is only £133 but it's the principle of these parasites clawing it back because he died 5 hours before the 15th. And when you consider he worked for 52 years paying taxes
Old 24 April 2010, 01:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats f**kin outrageous , what did he expect you to do call him on his mobile the second he passed away

If youve got record of the previous dealings id go to the press - its prolly something to do with the country being in deeper dodo than greece and portugal put together
Old 24 April 2010, 01:20 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weirdly enough my auntie died on the 15th, we notified the DWP on the day she died & they said no problem, all money paid was what she was due.

The other day we received a letter saying she had been over paid & they wanted us to pay it back.

The letter said a payment had been made on the 22nd but her back account was closed the day after she died.

Just spoke to my old man who sorted it, and he rang them once we managed to get hold of a bank statement to prove the money hadn't been paid in.

They said they had tried to pay the money in but it was returned as the account was closed.

Would have been a **** take if we had to pay it back, already down £3500 for her funeral costs.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 24 April 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 24 April 2010, 01:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for you on this one.

My Mum died 2 years ago and i had no end of problems with the DWP trying to get money back........Like scoobydriverwannabe I had closed her account so they couldn't pay it in !!

In the end I wrote to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions copied to various officials and the matter was closed.

Shaun
Old 24 April 2010, 02:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Easy one: I assume the money was paid to your dad?

Just return all letters marked "Deceased".
Old 24 April 2010, 02:53 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't work like that.....the DWP are claiming from the "estate" and chase the Executor........gits !

Shaun
Old 24 April 2010, 03:16 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i may be wrong but you have informed them on the 15th he passed on the 14th therefore you are entitled to all monies up to the 14th therefore send them a refund for 1days pension money . anything payed in after the 15th is thier fault as by thier own rules they have to act on any information you give them within 48hours you can request a copy of the rules n regs

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2010, 07:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by kingofturds
My Dad died on the 14th of february, and I notified the dwp on the 15th the day his state pension was paid. At the time I was told that they would not be taking the money back as the payment was already in the system. So upon closing the account I donated the money along with donations from the funeral to the British heart foundation.
Today however I received 2 letters from the dwp demanding the money back as they had made an error. I have rung them to explain what I was told when I notified them and what I had done with the money but had to hang up to stop me going off on a rant when the bloke on the other end of the phone accused me of stealing public funds.

Anyone know if this money legally has to be paid back? The sum we are talking about is only £133 but it's the principle of these parasites clawing it back because he died 5 hours before the 15th. And when you consider he worked for 52 years paying taxes
Christ, that's despicable.
I despair of this Country at times. Tell them to claim it back from some undeserving scrounger
Old 24 April 2010, 07:57 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

They take the fckin pss when you are alive and want to screw you when you die
How disgusting i feel very sorry for you having to deal with this on top of what you have just gone through
Pity they do not go at it on the scroungers here in the uk as well
All the best to you
Old 24 April 2010, 08:19 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have written out what I am going to say to them over the phone on Monday and may write to our local MP. Usually he just bins them but with an election looming he may be a little more eager to respond.
On top of this the gf is currently sorting out the sale of her Uncles house to pay for his care after he had a stroke, makes you wonder why you bother getting up for work in the morning.
Old 24 April 2010, 08:28 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

I have a client who works for the pensoin service i may be able to ask her what the position is regarding this. No promises she would help as i cannot speak for her but i will ask if you want
Old 24 April 2010, 08:31 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Unfortunately there are too many scroungers both native and immigrant that have not paid into the pot but expect to take from it. This results in the ones that have worked all their life to give themselves comforts. Which they hope to pass on to their sibblings are now having to sell their properties or get their kids to sell them to pay for care in their latter years. So sod it spend the kids inheritance as they will not get a penny because the state will nick it all!!!
Old 24 April 2010, 08:35 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by P1 Daveyboy
I have a client who works for the pensoin service i may be able to ask her what the position is regarding this. No promises she would help as i cannot speak for her but i will ask if you want
That would be great thanks
Old 24 April 2010, 08:39 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=kingofturds;9362644]That would be great thanks[/QUOTE

I will copy paste your first post or pm me exact details without your personal feelings but just what was said and i will e mail her that for you
Lets hope she will help i know she has a very good nature so hope fully she will help
Dave
Old 24 April 2010, 08:50 PM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

You have PM mate
Old 30 April 2010, 03:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Right this just goes from bad to worse, I now have a letter from the csa demanding £1738, no proof of how the debt was incurred and a debt that is over 10 years old I know for a fact that he did not owe any money as the scum took £127 a week direct from his wages .

They are infact asking for £1738 from me to support ..me seeing this debt is over 6 years old is there not a limit on how long they can claim?
Old 30 April 2010, 06:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Right this just goes from bad to worse, I now have a letter from the csa demanding £1738, no proof of how the debt was incurred and a debt that is over 10 years old I know for a fact that he did not owe any money as the scum took £127 a week direct from his wages .

They are infact asking for £1738 from me to support ..me seeing this debt is over 6 years old is there not a limit on how long they can claim?
CSA are the biggest bunch of nuggets in the world. You need a degree in braindead to work for them.
I would send it back with a comment on it. I would not even bother sending it in letter form, just write it on their letter to you.

"Get your facts right and go bother someone else" would be my words to them. That is a gross error on their part and also totally insensitive
Old 01 May 2010, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I really can't see how they can justify trying to reclaim the whole pension. He was entitled to it until the day of his death.

I would hang back a bit and if forced offer them a day's worth back.

Les
Old 02 May 2010, 05:02 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

This maybe one for BBC's Watchdog perhaps . Feel your pain, same sort of thing Happened when my Dad died 5 years ago, at the time the last thing on your mind is what about his pension etc... these people have no feelings, yet if it were an immigrant on the state over here then........
Old 11 May 2010, 12:20 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Lee247
CSA are the biggest bunch of nuggets in the world. You need a degree in braindead to work for them.
I would send it back with a comment on it. I would not even bother sending it in letter form, just write it on their letter to you.

"Get your facts right and go bother someone else" would be my words to them. That is a gross error on their part and also totally insensitive

Well after having threats of the debt collecters from the csa I finally got through to them and sent them a a copy of a letter that stated that my Dad had OVERPAID. Things have now gone strangely quiet from them