Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do chavs stuck abroad deserve sympathy?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2010, 06:45 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do chavs stuck abroad deserve sympathy?

Keep seeing all these chavs abroad crying because they've run out of money. Shouldn't they have ensured they had adequate funds in case of emergency when abroad. I agree that nobody could predict a volcano erupting but shouldn't you have an emergency fund in case of unpredictable events?
Old 22 April 2010, 06:48 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

They should become the rest of Europes problem in much the same way as their chavs have become our problem.
Old 22 April 2010, 06:51 PM
dagger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just become imagrants and gain FREE entry back to the UK
Old 22 April 2010, 08:17 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Keep seeing all these chavs abroad crying because they've run out of money. Shouldn't they have ensured they had adequate funds in case of emergency when abroad. I agree that nobody could predict a volcano erupting but shouldn't you have an emergency fund in case of unpredictable events?
Well I wouldnt other than what i needed on me. Like you say how do you envisage a volcano stopping flights. That must make me a chav then.

What a f*cking stupid thread.
Old 22 April 2010, 08:44 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no stupid threads.. just stupid posters
Old 22 April 2010, 09:08 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

However, there was a lady on ITN (oh god, I've admitted I watch ITV) complaining that it has cost her £300 in extra expenses and that she'll never be able to pay that back, "'cus I'm on disability."

Well I'm sorry, if you are well enough to go to Lanzarote, you are able well enough to work.

Steve
Old 22 April 2010, 09:12 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I was stranded abroad last year. I thought the worst things that could happen would maybe be pick-pocketed or have a minor accident and that travel insurance would cover it (it didn't cover our problem). Yes we did have emergency funds + overdraft if necessary + credit cards but the thing was we had no idea how long we would be stranded so no idea how much more money we would need.

There are also costs accrued while you are away ie if you are self-employed, pets in kennels/ catteries etc, all add to the worry.
Others on our trip were running out of essential medication and one poor bloke phoned home to be told his brother had died suddenly so he was concerned about getting back ASAP.

At least with the events of the past week people will now be more aware of what can potentially happen and perhaps will be prepared in future re emergency funds.
Old 22 April 2010, 09:14 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

People living on credit should not travel - simple as

If you can't afford it - don't do it

Muppets!
Old 22 April 2010, 09:55 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

A work colleague of mine was on a 2 week holiday with his wife and two kids in California. He should have come back last Saturday. He's been given a flight on 3rd May. That's another 16 days! Just how big an emergency fund are you advocating?

Muppet.
Old 22 April 2010, 09:58 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I know some of you are only trying to get a reaction, but what stupid things to say! Are you saying that if you don't have loads of money saved, you're not allowed to go abroad? Imagine having a family of 4 to look after for a week with no accommodation or food, that's going to cost a lot! What are the airlines going to do, credit check passengers?

Some really idiotic comments here, but this is scoobynet, so what should I expect?
Old 22 April 2010, 09:58 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I know some of you are only trying to get a reaction, but what stupid things to say! Are you saying that if you don't have loads of money saved, you're not allowed to go abroad? Imagine having a family of 4 to look after for a week with no accommodation or food, that's going to cost a lot! What are the airlines going to do, credit check passengers?

Some really idiotic comments here, but this is scoobynet, so what should I expect?
Old 22 April 2010, 10:07 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

A double post do you know overstone church ?

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ht=northampton
Old 22 April 2010, 10:15 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Yes, know a bit about it. Drove up to it once. Was burned down when owned by some cult. It wasn't a church though.
Old 22 April 2010, 10:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you pays your monies and you takes your choices/chances really

Id just assumed your average chav would be on a package deal ,so no worries
Old 22 April 2010, 10:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Old 22 April 2010, 11:53 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

It's not just 'chavs' who are stuck abroad, I'm sure there is plenty of other people who have had to spend money they couldn't really afford. Not everyone is like you and goes away with a masterplan
Old 23 April 2010, 03:44 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
heartless and judgmental

Friend of mine works all year to ensure his wife & 2 kids get a summer holiday, he works hard and pays taxes but couldn't afford this emergency fund your so righteously bleating on about. Does that make him a chav?

One of my mates is stuck in Thailand, can afford the extra expense but Im pretty certain he'd rather not be paying out all this money unplanned.

Its a shat situation to be in, have some compassion
Old 23 April 2010, 04:24 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There is a family out here in Florida who were due to fly back last weekend. They have been told the earliest they can get a flight is 1st May.

When you have family with you and you run your own business/self-employed this can be a nightmare. It is not a great situation for a lot of people.

Mind you at least here there has been some sympathy. Seaworld have been giving British families free passes.

A friend of mine's mother was stuck in Naples and each day the price of the hotel she was staying in went up in price. She is on a pension and quickly ran out of cash and was thrown out of the hotel. Not so much sympathy there!
Old 23 April 2010, 04:51 AM
ratboy
Scooby Regular

Whats the cut off date to chaves going on holday then?
Quite fancy a hol, in spain without me lielow getting slashed......
Old 23 April 2010, 09:49 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
There is a family out here in Florida who were due to fly back last weekend. They have been told the earliest they can get a flight is 1st May.

When you have family with you and you run your own business/self-employed this can be a nightmare. It is not a great situation for a lot of people.

Mind you at least here there has been some sympathy. Seaworld have been giving British families free passes.

A friend of mine's mother was stuck in Naples and each day the price of the hotel she was staying in went up in price. She is on a pension and quickly ran out of cash and was thrown out of the hotel. Not so much sympathy there!
Agreed, however for those stuck in other european countries, for example, have they not heard of public transport?

Faced with having to fund what could be additional weeks, I'd be heading to the ports by whatever means available, jumping on a ferry and getting a train home - rather than waiting for someone to come and sort it out for me.
Old 23 April 2010, 10:22 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Its quite laughable really that people are getting stuck in Europe when we are connected by a train system and coaches
Old 23 April 2010, 11:14 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Why should we, the taxpayers, pay to repatriate people who haven't the gumption or reserves to get back under their own steam? I'm with Clarkson on this (last night's Have I Got News) - stop the bleating, it's boring. I don't want Brown p1ssing away any more of our money sending military vessels on pointless vote wining trips to bring home people who just need to get themselves on the ferries!
Old 23 April 2010, 12:33 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Sympathy yes, compensation no.

If I was stuck abroad due to this, I would just accept it and get the credit card out. Wouldn't enter my head to seek compo from somewhere due to a volcano unless "acts of god" were on my insurance policy
Old 23 April 2010, 03:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think they are very unlucky to get caught out for such an unusual reason. My sympathy is with them in fact.

Les
Old 23 April 2010, 04:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its a pretty unusual circumstance to be fair and not really one you could have seen coming really, however, I do agree that anyone travelling abroad, especially with dependants, should have insurance and some way of getting emergency funds like spare credit on a credit card as things can and do go wrong.

I think in these circumstances people have taken a battering and can be forgiven a little but in normal events nobody should travel with no insurance and just enough money for drinks and no way of getting any more.
Old 23 April 2010, 04:29 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Insurance didn't cover most people, what do they do then?
Old 23 April 2010, 07:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Agree with the comments on those 'stuck' in Europe. Apart from public transport what's the problem with booking a hire car from one of the big companies and driving home and returning the hire car to the offices over here? A damn site cheaper than waiting weeks for a flight.
As a plan, this needs substantially more work (and harder thinking).
Old 23 April 2010, 07:58 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Insurance didn't cover most people, what do they do then?
tough, isn't it. I might stop buying insurance altogether and hope that our nanny state steps in and helps me out if anything goes wrong.......no, wait now - why should everyone else bail me out????? I feel sorry for them all, but why should I pay for them because they're unlucky and their insurance isn't covering them?????
Old 23 April 2010, 07:59 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Agree with the comments on those 'stuck' in Europe. Apart from public transport what's the problem with booking a hire car from one of the big companies and driving home and returning the hire car to the offices over here? A damn site cheaper than waiting weeks for a flight.
One days car rental, if you could find one (there were none at Schipol), was 1700 euros.

This was a quote from Amsterdam to Calais.

Last edited by davyboy; 23 April 2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Do chavs stuck abroad deserve sympathy?