Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you suffer from migranes? If so, I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2010, 02:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you suffer from migranes? If so, I have some questions.

Just wondering what other peoples experience of migranes are.
Guy at work claiming to have a migrane right now. Says he has had it 10 days now, been working with sunglasses on to give the effect his eyes hurt.
But still happy to shout when he has something exciting to say, sit less than a foot from the screen of the PC, and even when taking a break, instead of going somewhere quiet, sits playing games, glued to the screen for a lunch hour.

From my experience, I prefer to avoid light, noise etc. Get lots of water, sleep and peace+ quiet til its gone.

Something tells me he is lining a sickie up, as he cant get an appointment for the doctors, but it still working, but SURE he WILL get an emergency appointment tomorrow morning..... Just in time to get the day off he cant have as there are too many people off.

What are your migranes like, and what can you and cant you manage when you have one ?
Old 22 April 2010, 02:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I get these amazing swirly things appearing in the top right corner of my vision. I had no idea what they were until I ended up in Hospital and got a roasting off a Doctor After a while the swirling spreads across my vision until I can basically not see towards the right without thinking I'm in some hippy love-fest

I'm like you for recovering - a dark room, quiet and rest. They tend to go after an hour or so. I feel very light headed and find it hard to concentrate on anything, so really: crawling into bed is the best thing I can do.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I suffer from migranes.

First I know one's coming is when I start losing my vision. Depending on how much vision I lose depends on how bad the Migrane will be.

This last for about 20 minutes or so, then regain my vision. That's when the mind numbing pain starts. Can put it down to feeling like my head is trapped in a Vice, with spikes right on my temples. The Vice is getting squeezed more and more.

It normally knocks me out for 24 hours. A really bad one, it'll be anywhere from 24/48 hours. For the next day, I am sensitive to light. Again depending on how servere the Migrane was, depends on how bad. But on a bad Migrane, I have to sit with all blinds closed at home through the day, as the light is too bright.

I have to take an extra day off work, due to not being able to look at a computer screen, as it does my eyes in.

Horrible things.

Last edited by stilover; 22 April 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:19 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I get them from time to time, and besides the pain and visual problems I also feel sick, and have on occasion been sick.

I tend to just stay in a dark room with a warm face cloth over my forehead. With two chdren sometimes I just put dome shades on and grin and get on with it while throwing sweets at them to keep them quiet.

As for the bloke in question here, seems like a bit of a blagger if you ask me.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 22 April 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:19 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I get them from time to time, and besides the pain and visual problems I also feel sick, and have on occasion been sick.

I tend to just stay in a dark room with a warm face cloth over my forehead. With two chdren sometimes I just put some shades on and grin and get on with it while throwing sweets at them to keep them quiet.

As for the bloke in question here, seems like a bit of a blagger if you ask me.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 22 April 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im a combo of the above, first part is being sensitive to light, and stabbing pain in the eye, then it just seems to dig deeper, until all I want to do is cry and sleep.
Had my first reoccurance a few months back, since my younger years, and **** me it was agony.
The thought of making phone calls, looking at a PC screen for 9 hours, or even holding a short conversation. Let alone shouting and laughing, driving, and walking about in the sunshine smoking seems impossible.
Part of me wishes a migrane on him just so he learns to STFU and knows what one feels like.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:24 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Same symptoms as stilover really... Visual disturbance initially, printed type will appear yo move on the page and then the pressure starts to build. Being sick relieves a but of the pressure and bed and dark quiet room needed. Left with a sore head the next day (but nothing near the intensity of the main event) and generally a bit tender!
Old 22 April 2010, 03:26 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol " a bit of a blagger" is an understatement.
As I speak he is holding the top of his head for a few seconds, then just stuck his face back to the screen. He is 18" tops from the screen, and with shades on he will be straining HARDER to see the screen, making it worse.
He has just got off the phone after laughing loudly and joking with someone for 5 mins.

Managing to shovel loads of food down his neck but very little water. Which as tops is all he has, a dehydration headache. But 10 days is pushing it now.

Claiming he tried to get an appointment to see his doctor over the past couple of days but could not. However is sure he will get an emergency appointment tomorrow (the day he wants off but is blocked) If you had a headache over 72-96 hours, would you not be down A&E or demanding to see a doctor. Sod 10 days lol.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the responses so far guys. At least I know I am not being unfair now lol.
He is showing none of the above symptoms.

Hope its been a long time since anyone has had one, and hope its even longer til the next one.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Yeah, I feel sick too. The more severe ones, I am sick.

Had one a couple weeks ago. Got home at 14:15. Was in bed by 14:16. And apart from getting up at about 10pm for a p!ss, I slept from say 14:30 right through till 7am the next day. What I should have done was have a cup of Tea and some toast and gone straight back to bed for another half a day. But I forced myself up, and felt awful all day.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
As I speak he is holding the top of his head for a few seconds, then just stuck his face back to the screen. He is 18" tops from the screen, and with shades on he will be straining HARDER to see the screen, making it worse.
He has just got off the phone after laughing loudly and joking with someone for 5 mins.

Managing to shovel loads of food down his neck but very little water. Which as tops is all he has, a dehydration headache. But 10 days is pushing it now.

Claiming he tried to get an appointment to see his doctor over the past couple of days but could not. However is sure he will get an emergency appointment tomorrow (the day he wants off but is blocked) If you had a headache over 72-96 hours, would you not be down A&E or demanding to see a doctor. Sod 10 days lol.
TBH, from my own experience. If this guy does have a Migrane (and not just a bad headache) then he wouldn't/couldn't be working. I know I couldn't.

My Girlfriend say she gets Migrane all the time. But really they're just headaches. I tell her, if she really did have a Migrane, she'd be in bed.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
TBH, from my own experience. If this guy does have a Migrane (and not just a bad headache) then he wouldn't/couldn't be working. I know I couldn't.

My Girlfriend say she gets Migrane all the time. But really they're just headaches. I tell her, if she really did have a Migrane, she'd be in bed.
Could not agree more mate. I know there is no way I could behave the way he is, even at the very start of a migrane.
I think migrane has become a common used word like "flu" now. If only some of these people knew what some of us go through eh!

I hate waking up after the long sleep with a migrane. That false security that you are ok, til you try and move or sit up, then BANG !
Old 22 April 2010, 03:40 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he needs an eye test or break from the PC.

He would know if he had a "real" migrane.

Mine have ranged from the normal "Ouch this really bloody hurts, I need to curl up in dark room" to rolling around on the floor thinking I'm going to die as it feels like somone has smacked me on the back of the head with a cricket bat (only ever had 3 of these thank god).

Tell him to get an eye test and under health and safety guidlines he needs a break from his screen.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:42 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with you. On the odd occasion that I have experienced migrane problems it puts me in bed. Head feels like it is being pumped full of water and about to explode. Can't think properly and even though I usually smoke like a trooper, if I have a migrane then I cannot smoke at all as it seems to make it worse for me. Puts me in bed everytime

Guys a blagger Op
Old 22 April 2010, 03:49 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily.

I have suffered with headaches for a long time, well since I was about 10. Ranging from mild to quite severe. Migranes were ruled out as they could last for many days at a time (the bad ones), and I didn't have any other common symptoms apart from feeling sick and being sensitive to light. When these bouts happen now, I could cry at times in pain, and darkness would be ideal but that's not always possible.

I was resigned to the fact they were tension headaches, and sometimes got very strong. Until I was under the care of my neurologist who diagnosed my epilepsy. These headaches were naturally discussed, and he felt they were most likely migranes. I explained the above, and he explained you don't have to have each and every symptom and these can vary quite alot between different people.

It is quite possible he is faking moreso because he wants the day off, but proving he's faking could be difficult.

Mind you, the 'issue' he is having with the doctors appointment is pretty much identical to the policy of mine. I've tried phoning early in the week for one later that week to be told there were none, but to phone forst thing on the day as they withold a few and then there are emergency ones if necessary.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol cheers for the confirmations guys. All as expected lol.

One thing we all agree on, migrane = bed, without a doubt, unless IMPOSSIBLE to get in it.
As for the eye test thing. He admits his eyes are fecked, but refuses to wear glasses as it affects his coolness, lol.
I definatly think he is dehydrated if anything. Since the warm weather has arrived the consumption of tea and coffee in the office has dropped, and he drinks nothing else. So thats asking for trouble. But 10 days........ lol.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:52 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

Never had vision changes as such when they arrive, just an extreme sensitivity to light and subsequent pain, then nausea, then vomiting, then sleep, then better.

I tend to find they always come after a stressfull situation when all is relaxed again, can regularly spoil weekends after a right sh1tter of a week at work
Old 22 April 2010, 03:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Fair points Lisa, but watching the way he is behaving, which obviously I cant share with SN lol, its unlikely he has more than a mild headache with twinges. Personally I dont believe any of it.

As for the doctors thing. Mine has a slightly awkward policy, but takes appointments for the next day every morning, and has emergency appointments available too. So I have to say that I dont believe that he could not get an appointment at any point during the headache, and am left suspicious that the only day he is sure he CAN get one, is the day he wants off.

As for the symptoms, he has none of the above, let alone not all of them lol. He can cope with bright light, noise of his own making, a noisy enviroment, a PC screen......
Old 22 April 2010, 03:57 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Maybe tell him he can have the day off and see how he recovers, then call him in anyway.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 22 April 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 22 April 2010, 04:01 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wow. I seem to have got off lightly with this migraine lark!
Old 22 April 2010, 04:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Wow. I seem to have got off lightly with this migraine lark!
Thats cos yours is fake innit

Hysteria, he has just had 2 days off, personally I would have slept through them, then gone to A&E if it was still with me.

Talking very loudly at the moment, his head must be booming!
Old 22 April 2010, 04:19 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I get no pain but my vision takes about half a second to catch up with where my eyes are looking. This makes me feel sick, a lot like when you're really drunk.
I have to go to bed and sleep for about 4 or 5 hours for it all to come back to normal although I can still feel pukey for a few days afterwards.
Old 22 April 2010, 04:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

No pain ! That sounds like heaven, but hell at the same time.
I get less of the sickness, but plenty of disorientation. Thats usually a warning sign for me too.
Old 22 April 2010, 04:48 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

We employed someone, all going well for a 3 or 4 weeks - then the coming to work in dark glasses started
Followed by days off - can't get out of bed - bad migrane blah blah

This happened off and on over around 3 months
I'm talking 4 or 5 days off work by the way (Wed,Thurs,Fri,Mon,Tues).

Then one day I rang him on his company mobile and he answered.
I said I was at such and such a place etc
He said he's working from home doing a webex session with ???????????
Great I thought.
I then rang office - asked is yer man's laptop there and of course it was
He didn't have a computer at home, nor did he have broadband either

He no longer works here
Old 22 April 2010, 04:57 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

i find that i wake up with them in the mornings on mostly a friday and saturday.

head is pounding like i have been out on the town all night long, have to stay in bed, in the dark, and when they are bad, they keep making me be sick.

normally after 1 day they have cleared up.

best think i have found to help the pain abit is

2 x 500mg parcertimal
2 x 200/500mg iberbruphin (spelling on both)

went to the does, and all they say is to give me a pill to take every day, but i dont want to go down that rout just yet.

very nast things, and i think its hard for people who dont get them realise how painfull they get
Old 22 April 2010, 05:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Agreed, they are indeed tough to put into words that people would understand how painful they are.
I tend to take a large dose of pills, blinds closed, window open for air, and sleeeeeeeeeep!

lol @ urban, another blagger eh, great excuse aint they. Well done for catching them out though

Update though, he is HA HA HA laughing away on the phone at the mo, and doing the "i will talk loudly over you til you stop talking and listen to me" thing. While filling his face with chocolate, and playing games inches from the screen. Oh the pain!
Old 22 April 2010, 05:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

mine are brought on by Chocolate.

Cann eat it ok for months, but do get headaches after eating a nice chocolate bar. The last one was brought on by eating a rather rich Chocolate cake. Got a Migrane the very next day at work.

The one before that was 5 minutes after eating a "Blue Ribbon" biscuit. Haven't touched one since.
Old 22 April 2010, 05:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like me and gout ! lol.
Anything but a good cut of meat and my feet swell up like airships lol.

At least you know a trigger though, always helps with any condition like that.
Old 22 April 2010, 05:19 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

if my sleep patten changes,i stay up late i find i get them, am normally in bad at around 10.30pm as the alarm goes off at 4am!
Old 22 April 2010, 08:55 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

The only thing I can 'think' triggers mine off is lack of fluids. If I have one and think back to what I have been up to, it normally happens a few days after I have had a few days out of the house where I may have got a bit dehydrated.

Nothing else major seems to trigger it.

Quick Reply: Do you suffer from migranes? If so, I have some questions.