Sofa...!!!! Where from?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2010, 04:18 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sofa...!!!! Where from?

I need to order a Leather Sofa...

DFS offer a very good finance package, 4 years intrest free with no deposit...however they only have 2 sofa's to choose from...

I need a straight sofa 3.5m in length...so has to be like a corner piece that additional pieces can be ordered for..like this one i liked but is not in any showroom!

http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/leather/cadiz/

Joysleeps had a choice of near 10 sofa's - but offer no finance, and i do not want to part with £2.5k in one go for a sofa..

Harvey's nothing much

Sofa world - crap service...

SCS - not a single sofa

CSL Sofa's - Do intrest free but not to anyone in London

Anyone got any other furniture places i could try?

--Sam

Last edited by SamUK; 21 April 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 21 April 2010, 04:28 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently found DFS very good, and very flexible... and as you can order a sofa from them over the phone now you're covered by the distance-selling regs and can just return it if you don't like it, it doesn't fit or you simply change your mind!

I was looking around a while ago and ended up buying two sofas from DFS over the phone - and they were very helpful, even down to telling me what the fabric felt like...

A few weeks ago I had a small problem with one of the feet, and they sent a "man in a van" round to sort it out - he could have completely reupholstered the thing with the amount of kit he brought into the lounge! He also told me that the DFS UK built stuff has a 10 yr warranty - so if anything like this happened again then call and they'd just come and fix it. I can't imagine many of the other retailers doing that!

Give 'em a call and see what they say and how they can help - it's freefone (I was talking with them for about an hour!) and you can call em 24 hrs a day by the looks of the website... 0800 110 5000

DN (no connection with DFS other than a happy customer, that used to think they were crap and laughed at the ads but has been turned around by great customer service)
Old 21 April 2010, 04:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

DFS stuff is ****e, the reason they do the four year finance thing is that after four years you sofa will be knackered and you'll be back for a new one at £50/month.

Have a look round your local independents, pick one you like, find out the brand / and type, then find the best deal on the Internet for it, then haggle with both the Internet place and the local independent to try and get an even better deal. The mark up on furniture is massive and you can typically get between 5 & 10% off with very little effort, then push for more.

Happy hunting
Old 21 April 2010, 04:37 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I have a corner sofa from DFS, not as big as that one, its a 3 and a 2 with the corner section, cost about a third of what you have shown advertised there.

Regarding the quality, they are not the best, mines been repaired once and needs it again after two years, but for the price you cant beat it. The leather content would make up about a third of the price on mine. However, its the internal construction where they make their money back now, all shipped in from abroad - they are not as sturdy as they used to be. My uncle makes sofas for a small independant company and I was talking to him about it recently. Prices are cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Old 21 April 2010, 04:37 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't be blinkered with the 5 years interest free
nothing is free it costs 200-300 extra in the retail price so you should look at the purchase price first
I work for Harveys and our average sofa packages are £1100 aprox against DFS £1500 the difference is the over inflated prices for interest free over 5 years

As coffin dodger says check out the indepenants and haggle and also may bank holiday will save you a bit too
Old 21 April 2010, 04:38 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Interesting post CD - my personal experience differs somewhat from your perception. After 4 years, if anything happens to it you call 'em up and they fix it!

Annoyingly for me, the interest free credit thing means that they don't haggle on price at all - it's the current "sale" price and that's it. You want a better deal, you take the free credit. I didn't, I just wanted to pay cash and get a better price... still bought the things though.

This really did show me that sofas these days are more a 'soft furnishing' than a fixed asset... You change the sofa (as we did) when you slap a new different colour of paint on the walls and the wife wants it all to match/look lovely... Therefore if they last 5 years it's probably OK... if they're guaranteed to last for 10 then it's more than most people will ever want from it.

I agree, I used to think DFS stuff was ****e - and actually went out of my way to try and find a sofa elsewhere that the wife wanted - though now I've bought from them I feel differently...

Unless you want to pay silly money (Wesley Barrell anyone?) for a handmade and 'traditional' sofa I think you'll find that all "mainstream" sofa retailers offer furniture that isn't really built as well as many of us would like. However, the difference comes when you have a problem (large or small) with that built-to-a-budget sofa and how the retailer does or doesn't deal with it...

DN
Old 21 April 2010, 04:38 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Interesting post CD - my personal experience differs somewhat from your perception. After 4 years, if anything happens to it you call 'em up and they fix it!

Annoyingly for me, the interest free credit thing means that they don't haggle on price at all - it's the current "sale" price and that's it. You want a better deal, you take the free credit. I didn't, I just wanted to pay cash and get a better price... still bought the things though.

This really did show me that sofas these days are more a 'soft furnishing' than a fixed asset... You change the sofa (as we did) when you slap a new different colour of paint on the walls and the wife wants it all to match/look lovely... Therefore if they last 5 years it's probably OK... if they're guaranteed to last for 10 then it's more than most people will ever want from it.

I agree, I used to think DFS stuff was ****e - and actually went out of my way to try and find a sofa elsewhere that the wife wanted - though now I've bought from them I feel differently...

Unless you want to pay silly money (Wesley Barrell anyone?) for a handmade and 'traditional' sofa I think you'll find that all "mainstream" sofa retailers offer furniture that isn't really built as well as many of us would like. However, the difference comes when you have a problem (large or small) with that built-to-a-budget sofa and how the retailer does or doesn't deal with it...

DN
Old 21 April 2010, 04:41 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^^that's one helluva a stutter
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

So, yes, SamUK - if you want another option... check out Wesley Barrell - they'll do what you want, but be sitting down when you talk with them.

This'd probably be up your street: http://www.wesley-barrell.co.uk/sofa/burleigh-modular

DN
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Have a look at furniture village - it's where I got mine from.

Can't fault them or it.
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

So, yes, SamUK - if you want another option... check out Wesley Barrell - they'll do what you want, but be sitting down when you talk with them.

This'd probably be up your street: http://www.wesley-barrell.co.uk/sofa/burleigh-modular

DN
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Have a look at furniture village - it's where I got mine from.

Can't fault them or it.
Old 21 April 2010, 04:43 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 April 2010, 04:44 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

I have recently finished paying for a sofa i bought from DFS - cost near £3500 - was bought 4 years ago and is still going strong.

The choice is very limited...at DFS

I spoke to CSL - Sofa http://www.csl-sofas.co.uk/leather-sofas

again have a big choice...but are in Nottingham! offer interest free and keep sofa's in stock which is odd....so can have it next week!

however said they will not give me interest free if i live in London and they will not deliver either...

They have said that i can have interest free if i do the following:

Finance will be in my name in London
Delivery address will be my cousins house in Nottingham

I will need to go collect from his house!

Last edited by SamUK; 21 April 2010 at 04:47 PM.
SamUK
Scooby Senior

I have recently finished paying for a sofa i bought from DFS - cost near £3500 - was bought 4 years ago and is still going strong.

The choice is very limited...at DFS

I spoke to CSL - Sofa http://www.csl-sofas.co.uk/leather-sofas

again have a big choice...but are in Nottingham! offer interest free and keep sofa's in stock which is odd....so can have it next week!

however said they will not give me interest free if i live in London and they will not deliver either...

They have said that i can have interest free if i do the following:

Finance will be in my name in London
Delivery address will be my cousins house in Nottingham

I will need to go collect from his house!
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Stupid SN double-posting whenever it feels like it - sorry, not my fault! Let's see if it does it with this one... LOL

DN
Old 21 April 2010, 04:45 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Stupid SN double-posting whenever it feels like it - sorry, not my fault! Let's see if it does it with this one... LOL

DN
Old 21 April 2010, 04:46 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

....lol.....
Old 21 April 2010, 05:04 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

thank **** for that. i thought i had entered the twilight zone there.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:18 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

If you do want to order one from DFS, you'd better be quick cause the current sale and 4 years interest free credit offer ends soon!.......
Old 21 April 2010, 05:27 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
If you do want to order one from DFS, you'd better be quick cause the current sale and 4 years interest free credit offer ends soon!.......
lol...there sale is ending every day...i think for 6 years its been ending from what i remember...
Old 21 April 2010, 05:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I bought a large corner "modular" or whatever they are called, corner sofa from DFS 3+3 and footstool, I even went in the store with cash £2.5k and they wouldn't budge a penny, so went for the three years interest free option.

Quality seems fine, very comfortable and looks fantastic in my room.

Had a bad experience with SCS a couple of years back, customer service was terrible.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:49 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

If you want something contemporary then try Dwell. I am not sure if there are that many of them in the UK, and you do pay a little for the name. The quality is ok, but mostly you are paying for things that most people wont have.

I had my current sofa from ikea, it wasn't overly priced and even with the 10 year guarantee it was worth every penny. I think the black leather is a bit boring, but it should stick with the room even when we re decorate.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90155506

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/0130f138.jpg

As you can see, not a complete 'corner sofa' but when you have the foot stool to chill in the corner it's lovely!
And it fits two small children and two adults on there very easily with plenty of room to spare.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:49 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

If you want something contemporary then try Dwell. I am not sure if there are that many of them in the UK, and you do pay a little for the name. The quality is ok, but mostly you are paying for things that most people wont have.

I had my current sofa from ikea, it wasn't overly priced and even with the 10 year guarantee it was worth every penny. I think the black leather is a bit boring, but it should stick with the room even when we re decorate.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90155506

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/0130f138.jpg

As you can see, not a complete 'corner sofa' but when you have the foot stool to chill in the corner it's lovely!
And it fits two small children and two adults on there very easily with plenty of room to spare.
Old 21 April 2010, 06:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Go to the independents ....... buy something like G-Plan ...... or other quality makes.

Pay a decent amount and ignore Interest Free Credits, ignore gimmicks, ignore offers and sale prices!

Pick a quality piece, do your research, haggle hard (there is a massive mark-up on furniture) ... choose a piece which is in stock (bigger discounts available on them).

Doing the above will give you a sofa which you can enjoy for 50 years .... much better than a mickey mouse sofa on interest free credit for 15 years!
Old 21 April 2010, 06:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gumtree ?
Old 21 April 2010, 06:37 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

FFS who gives a **** just go and buy one.
Old 21 April 2010, 08:16 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Go to the independents ....... buy something like G-Plan ...... or other quality makes.

Pay a decent amount and ignore Interest Free Credits, ignore gimmicks, ignore offers and sale prices!

Pick a quality piece, do your research, haggle hard (there is a massive mark-up on furniture) ... choose a piece which is in stock (bigger discounts available on them).

Doing the above will give you a sofa which you can enjoy for 50 years .... much better than a mickey mouse sofa on interest free credit for 15 years!
Who the hell wants the same sofa for 50 bloody years?
Old 21 April 2010, 08:26 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

we have just bought a cream leather (and it is leather) 3seater and 2 seater from argos direct ,, cant fault em the first one had a slight defect 3days later replaced , as for quality i know they are recliners but they are bloody heavy and come in pieces the 3 seater weight 63kilos for gods sake . they recline like silk just cant fault it for £800.00 quid . they do 4colours and corner units
Old 21 April 2010, 08:28 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Who the hell wants the same sofa for 50 bloody years?
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Sofa...!!!! Where from?