Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding is such a problem we need more technology!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2010, 10:19 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding is such a problem we need more technology!

From the files of "Im really gonna vote these to55ers out of office" comes the latest news that speeding is becoming such a huge drain on society that ever increasingly complicated technology is required to extract money, I mean to prevent road deaths.

I mean WTF! We are just emerging from the worst recession in 80 odd years, hugely bankrupt and the Gvmt reckons we need more crackdowns on speeding motorists FFS!

None of the big 3 parties are going to stop this - vote a minority party to send the message!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8632440.stm
Old 20 April 2010, 10:52 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for a fact the main cause of me speeding is due to the elderly driving below the speed limit. There is only so long I can cope with it before I have to overtake them!

My thoughts are get them off the road if they can't drive at the same pace as everyone else. When learning to drive my instructor drummed it into my head anytime i joined a section of road that I must always join and drive at the correct pace for the road as to not cause aggrivation or an accident.

Old 20 April 2010, 10:58 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Thing is, There is technology that can literally control a vehicles speed. But that costs money and doesn't make money. If it was such a problem they would put tracking bugs on everyone's car and monitor their speed via satalite. May need to change a few laws to do it but I'm sure they could find ways around it.

To be fair its a quick fix to the governments cash flow issues. Drain the motorist!
Old 21 April 2010, 09:01 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Can't see the problem myself ... really, I can't?

If you don't speed, you have no cause to complain or worry .... if you do speed, you are driving illegally and need to be dealt with.

If caught speeding 3 times you will have an automatic 12 month ban and an additional 9 points - therefore one more speeding after your ban and you are banned again, this time for 24 months.

There really is no excuse for speeding ... we all do it - but, we should all slow down ... the world would be a calmer place.
Old 21 April 2010, 09:56 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just have more police on the roads, this technology is not going to stop someone driving at a 100mph between the 2 cameras. Stop off at the pub neck a few double whiskies , and drive home at 100mph.
Old 21 April 2010, 10:36 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Can't see the problem myself ... really, I can't?

If you don't speed, you have no cause to complain or worry .... if you do speed, you are driving illegally and need to be dealt with.

If caught speeding 3 times you will have an automatic 12 month ban and an additional 9 points - therefore one more speeding after your ban and you are banned again, this time for 24 months.

There really is no excuse for speeding ... we all do it - but, we should all slow down ... the world would be a calmer place.
I would have no problem with increased penalties if the speeds on the roads were brought up to date. I mean 70mph on a motorway??? 70mph was decided upon in the 60's at a time when it took 4.2 miles to stop
Old 21 April 2010, 10:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I know for a fact the main cause of me speeding is due to the elderly driving below the speed limit. There is only so long I can cope with it before I have to overtake them!

My thoughts are get them off the road if they can't drive at the same pace as everyone else. When learning to drive my instructor drummed it into my head anytime i joined a section of road that I must always join and drive at the correct pace for the road as to not cause aggrivation or an accident.

I find this to be an obvious ageist post but also a bit disappointing.

I don't believe that the elderly should be castigated for driving more slowly in the sort of area where traffic is somewhat constricted. The amount of traffic on the roads these days means that very often there are times when it is unsafe to drive up to the speed limits.

Because you might be a bit short of patience it does not entitle you to either complain about the elderly, who incidentally have been quoted as being safer on the roads than younger drivers.

Admitting that you are tempted to exceed the speed limit because of them is not too clever either if they are driving more slowly because of road conditions.

You should remember that you too may well be in their position one day and how would you like it if your licence was taken off you as well when you were still perfectly capable of driving safely as most of them are?

Les
Old 21 April 2010, 10:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got back from France, where THEIR dishonest b@stard government has just announced that the drive to keep accidents down needs them to increase ALL motoring fines by 50% from 1st July The MINIMUM on the spot fine for speeding, crossing a white line, not coming to a complete stop at a "Stop" sign etc is now €135.

And those last two generate nearly as much as speeding fines between 'em: the copper just hides and watches, 100 metrers down the road, another jumps out and stops you, "Your money or your license, stand and deliver,"..........oh, sorry, got carried away there, but you get the idea?

But as quite a few commentators over there pointed out, if motoring offences are SUCH a problem, why not increase the POINTS per offence too, why JUST increase the revenue, sorry, fines?
Old 21 April 2010, 10:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got back from France, where THEIR dishonest b@stard government has just announced that the drive to keep accidents down needs them to increase ALL motoring fines by 50% from 1st July The MINIMUM on the spot fine for speeding, crossing a white line, not coming to a complete stop at a "Stop" sign etc is now €135.

And those last two generate nearly as much as speeding fines between 'em: the copper just hides and watches, 100 metrers down the road, another jumps out and stops you, "Your money or your license, stand and deliver,"..........oh, sorry, got carried away there, but you get the idea?

But as quite a few commentators over there pointed out, if motoring offences are SUCH a problem, why not increase the POINTS per offence too, why JUST increase the revenue, sorry, fines?
Old 21 April 2010, 10:50 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

That "complete stop" is a load of shyte sometimes.

Last time I was in the USA I approached a "stop" junction and wished to go left
I could see for "miles" and no cars were coming, but there was a highway patrol boy just sitting there making sure everyone stopped.

You really felt like asking him "have you **** all better to do?"
Old 21 April 2010, 10:50 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You should remember that you too may well be in their position one day and how would you like it if your licence was taken off you as well when you were still perfectly capable of driving safely as most of them are?

Les
Why would a license be taken from someone that is prefectly capable of driving? A test should be put into place in order to access the abilities of elderly drivers, if you pass great, if not your license is gone.

Les driving slowly is only a small proportion of how badly a percentage of the elderly drive. I have seen so many elderly people driving dangerously and no one seems to want to tackle the problem, its easily just to put up adverts criminalising young drivers.

If i get to the point where my ability and confidence to drive at the same level as the rest of the road users becomes a danger to other road users then I welcome my license being revoked.

I'm pretty much bored of speeding threads as speeding does not kill, dangerous driving kills.
Old 21 April 2010, 11:08 AM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I find this to be an obvious ageist post but also a bit disappointing.

I don't believe that the elderly should be castigated for driving more slowly in the sort of area where traffic is somewhat constricted. The amount of traffic on the roads these days means that very often there are times when it is unsafe to drive up to the speed limits.

Because you might be a bit short of patience it does not entitle you to either complain about the elderly, who incidentally have been quoted as being safer on the roads than younger drivers.

Admitting that you are tempted to exceed the speed limit because of them is not too clever either if they are driving more slowly because of road conditions.

Les
I usually agree with your post's Les, but I cant with that unfortunately.

If your in very heavy, stop-start traffic, fair enough I can see your point. It is sometimes difficult to get up to 30 mph.
But in everyday driving scenario's that the OP has mentioned, I am constantly seeing elderly people, who quite clearly cannot drive at the speed limit, where road conditions comfortably allow that speed to be driven, in a very safe manner. It appears that they dont feel safe driving at the speed limit, which makes me question not only their eyesight, but there reaction times. If they dont feel safe plodding along at 30 mph on a clear road, IMHO they shouldnt be on the road. Not that I blast round them, but it is a little frustrating.

I was also taught that driving too slowly would fail your driving test. I think elderly drivers should be re-tested after a certain age is reached. Seems very fair in my eyes.
Old 21 April 2010, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have to be honest and say that I accept what you say about the elderly who are driving below the speed limit where that is not required. I was thinking about constricted areas where although you and I might be happy to drive up to the limit, the older driver feels he should drive more slowly. That will be frustrating of course but I feel that it is one of the little trials we have to put up with in life and just have to be patient. I still don't think it is a fair reason to take them off the roads. Many of the elderly have no other form of transport and would be stuck in their houses otherwise. Don't mention buses-there aren't any worth speaking about.

My opinion will also be affected of course by the driving conditions down here in Sunny Devon where we do have a lots of narrow roads etc. and therefore are used to having to back off a bit most of the time.

Les
Old 21 April 2010, 12:57 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

I'm in full agreement with allowing elder drivers a little more room/time, I dont go hooning past If I have some one sat at 25 mph, because they are leaving room/road conditions dont allow it.

But, when I come across an old chap, perched over his steering wheel, weaving around the road at 25 mph when he can quite safely do the speed limit, thats when I get irritated.

People who dawdle along at 40 in a 60 zone also get my goat big time lol.
Old 21 April 2010, 01:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Let's be totally honest .... you don't know how to 'really' drive until you are about 45 years old and only get safe when over 50 - ask SAGA!

Up until then you are still learning, still in training .... just how it is.

Anyone under 30 should really retake their test at this point to make sure they are developing at the right rate to hit the 45 year old competence.

At 20 something - you really haven't a clue, your right foot is as heavy as an elephant and the impatience is dangerous.

A speeding fine is an optional payment .... stop moaning about it, no-one has to pay it if they don't want to!
Old 21 April 2010, 01:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Even more incentive to "lose" your nr plate or indeed leave it to get as muddy as possible ...

TX.
Old 21 April 2010, 01:50 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JulioJordio2
Then they carry on doing 40 in a 30
Old 21 April 2010, 01:58 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Simple solution ... EVERYONE to start contesting EVERY ticket. The whole system would grind to a standstill overnight

TX.

Originally Posted by alcazar

Old 21 April 2010, 02:06 PM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

i get really miffed when i get stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 60 zone with a clear road ahead and then when they hit a 30 zone they still sit at 40 therefore breaking the law, they obviously cant see where they are going because its blatant that they dont notice the speed limit signs and if they cant do that then they are not competent drivers because they obviously are not reading the road ahead.
Old 21 April 2010, 02:20 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Let's be totally honest .... you don't know how to 'really' drive until you are about 45 years old and only get safe when over 50 - ask SAGA!

Up until then you are still learning, still in training .... just how it is.

Anyone under 30 should really retake their test at this point to make sure they are developing at the right rate to hit the 45 year old competence.
What an exceptionally bad troll you really are.
Old 21 April 2010, 02:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
What an exceptionally bad troll you really are.
Well as the Moderators seem to to let him troll around, do as i do and pop him on your ignore list. NSR A Future Fair For All
Old 21 April 2010, 03:01 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that 70 on motorway is a joke ,but 30 in towns and residentials is fine ,droping all the de-restricted country roads to 50 is just gay and wont solve anything other than to anoy everyone.

As for old people (they already have to reaply for licence at 70 i belive) they have paid MASSES in taxes and the like who are we to deny them there freedom, just be aware they are sometimes abit slow!

Its a complete lack of driving skill /ability that scares me, watching some people on the roads be they man or woman i pull my hair out at the shear stupidity , I honestly belive we need a better driving test in the first place to stop these retards from getting a licence!
look at norway/sweden/finland for there test, skid pan / car control /awarness ..

these things are far more likly to prevent daft crashes rather than just generate some extra money and fine people doing 5mph over the speed limit when its perfectly safe !

As for motorway ? Germany now has the right idea, variable speed limits acording to conditions... it rains the speed limit drops.. its sunny and low traffic it goes up.. they have better disapline and safty standards than we do , seeing people here in the UK tail gating at 90mph in the wet really makes me cringe !

Dave

ps. age 34 , drove for a living 80k a year for 9 years , served a 6month ban for speeding when i was 21! (motorway) so no IM NOT PERFECT EITHER!

Last edited by Ginola; 21 April 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
do as i do and pop him on your ignore list. NSR A Future Fair For *****
You normally post absolute drivel but, I must say, you are spot-on with this post
Old 21 April 2010, 05:49 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Swindon got rid of ALL of their speed cameras a year or so ago and there has been no change in the number of road deaths so that alone proves that they are just a scam.This country has gone to **** and i for one cannot wait to get out of it
Old 21 April 2010, 06:03 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You normally post absolute drivel but, I must say, you are spot-on with this post
Least he's done it under just the one username over the years, eh?
Old 21 April 2010, 06:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Least he's done it under just the one username over the years, eh?
I'm not sure how many names he has had over the years ......... and neither do you!
Old 21 April 2010, 06:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure how many names he has had over the years ......... and neither do you!
I'd hazard a pretty strong guess it's many many less than you, put it that way. I'd also hazard others would agree with me Pete

P.S.

Psss... quick, someone said something positive about the Tories - go get 'em tiger
Old 21 April 2010, 09:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I'd hazard a pretty strong guess it's many many less than you, put it that way. I'd also hazard others would agree with me Pete
I'd hazard a guess that no-one, except you, give a **** ......................
Old 21 April 2010, 09:29 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JulioJordio2
I'm in full agreement with allowing elder drivers a little more room/time, I dont go hooning past If I have some one sat at 25 mph, because they are leaving room/road conditions dont allow it.

But, when I come across an old chap, perched over his steering wheel, weaving around the road at 25 mph when he can quite safely do the speed limit, thats when I get irritated.

there is a very good reason they do this next time you are on a clear road 60limit nothing behind nothing in front SKWINT til you can see but everything on the side and outside of you car is blurred ie 20yards vision YOU WILL THINK YOU ARE DOING 120 as the world flashes by in a blur . now you know why most of em do 40 everywhere cos any faster and the lose bowel control

Quick Reply: Speeding is such a problem we need more technology!