Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Israeli settlements

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 08:50 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Israeli settlements

What do people on here think about the Israelis continuing to flout international law by building on occupied territory. I'm thinking about organising a boycott (of what, I don't yet know).
Old 14 March 2010, 08:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thanks to America there is one rule for Israel and one rule for everyone else in the Middle East.

Trouble is Israel has forgotten that the very Israel friendly Republicans aren't in power and the Israel tolerant Democrats are. Expect some diplomacy from the US in the near future.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:12 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

been going on for ages, will carry on for ever, when and if they want peace they will sort it
Old 14 March 2010, 09:16 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Alls fair in love and war
Old 14 March 2010, 09:21 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
What do you think about Hamas firing missiles at houses with women and children in them ?

Dave
I don't like it, but building more houses in occupied East Jerusalem isn't going to stop it.
Old 14 March 2010, 09:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

What do you think about Hamas firing missiles at houses with women and children in them ?

Dave
Well it's not good obviosuly, but as an analogy did we in the UK persecute the whole of Northern Ireland when the IRA were actively bombing the UK mainland?

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2010, 09:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave
what do you think about Israeli army snipers blowing the brains out of 6 year old kids
Old 14 March 2010, 11:01 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Wow man this one is a interesting one, dave I take it your English how would you feel if more Muslims came over started renaming places took over areas and didn't allow you to anywhere you want. Took over 90% of your country. I think you will round up a few mates buy some weaponery and start firing at the Muslims rightly so. So why is it wrong for the palistinians? Also the Jews that I work with don't recognise Israel as state they don't even believe in war and that's why theynever go there.

Mus
Old 14 March 2010, 11:08 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
what do you think about Israeli army snipers blowing the brains out of 6 year old kids
If these people insist on building homes in illegal areas then they ask for what they get, it's like me putting up a tent in an army minefield site and complaining about the noise, complete arseh0les. (Israelis i mean btw).

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 14 March 2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 14 March 2010, 11:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its more to do with water rights isnt it ! the isrealis dont think arabs use it right , so they dont let em have any lol
Old 15 March 2010, 08:26 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Well it's not good obviosuly, but as an analogy did we in the UK persecute the whole of Northern Ireland when the IRA were actively bombing the UK mainland?
To be fair, the IRA did play by Marquis of Queensbury rules.
If they had been as "dedicated" and relentless as the Palestinians, we may have seen a more gloves off approach.
Thinking on it a bit more (benefit of hindsight), perhaps the "Irish lobby" in the US may have had a moderating influence on UK responses as well.
Old 15 March 2010, 08:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
Wow man this one is a interesting one, dave I take it your English how would you feel if more Muslims came over started renaming places took over areas and didn't allow you to anywhere you want.
You mean Bradford?
Old 15 March 2010, 11:03 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Whatever your view on the rights and wrongs of Israel's existence, the official UN view is that East Jerusalem and the West Bank are occupied territories, not part of Israel. Building settlements on occupied territory is a violation of international law.

Israel clings to the pretence that establishing settlements in the West Bank is for security purposes, but it is difficult to see how moving civilians into these territories enhances the security of Israelis. Most of the settlers are religious fundamentalists who see the territory as theirs by divine right, and the Israeli proportional representation system usually ends up with right wing religious parties forming some part of the government, so it is difficult for the government to stand up to the settlers.

(As an aside, this is a good argument for UK to resist proportional representation at all costs - it either ends up with paralysed government or government having to give way to strident minority interests.)
Old 15 March 2010, 11:23 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by scud8
Whatever your view on the rights and wrongs of Israel's existence, the official UN view is that East Jerusalem and the West Bank are occupied territories, not part of Israel. Building settlements on occupied territory is a violation of international law.

Israel clings to the pretence that establishing settlements in the West Bank is for security purposes, but it is difficult to see how moving civilians into these territories enhances the security of Israelis. Most of the settlers are religious fundamentalists who see the territory as theirs by divine right, and the Israeli proportional representation system usually ends up with right wing religious parties forming some part of the government, so it is difficult for the government to stand up to the settlers.

(As an aside, this is a good argument for UK to resist proportional representation at all costs - it either ends up with paralysed government or government having to give way to strident minority interests.)

Isreal should stop building on land that is not thiers
Hamas, etc should stop shelling civillians
Isreal should stop shooting civilians
Hamas should stop bombing
the list goes on and on

Both sides must cease and disist, both sides must put the past hostilities behind them, not forget them but stop using them as an excuse to continue kill each other.

Both sides must honour and respect each other and get on in peace and trust to improve things

It is simple stuff to do but it is easily fails if just one or two radicals in the name of thier god choose to carry on the hostilities/building/whatever - which always seems to happen.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:52 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Its easy enough to say both sides should stop but Israel are the invaders and the palestinian view is that no armed resistance would enable Israel to ram all of them into the large concentration camp they created and slowly starve them to death, the only reason palestinain people can live through Israels blockaids is the billions in aid that Palestine gets from around the world.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Its easy enough to say both sides should stop but Israel are the invaders and the palestinian view is that no armed resistance would enable Israel to ram all of them into the large concentration camp they created and slowly starve them to death, the only reason palestinain people can live through Israels blockaids is the billions in aid that Palestine gets from around the world.
so let both sides just carry on the killing...they have to sit down, put aside previous problems and sort it out to move forward.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:12 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The international community needs to impose economic sanctions on Israel and boycott all trade with Israel on condition of them withdrawing from occupied territories. When that happens the peace process can start. If Israel had ever had any intention of withdrawal they would never have started building settlements inthe first place. I would also suggest Israel should be forced to pay reparations to the people whos farms and homes they stole from Palestinians and gave to Israelis.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:47 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Israel has got off scot free for years thanks to the backing of the American Republicans, it's about time they started to abide by the rules that the rest of the international community have to follow. I don't approve of Palestinians lobbing rockets & mortar fire into civilian areas, but nor do I condone the state-sponsored terrorism that Israel uses to intimidate its Arab neighbours. Still, they've only been fighting for 2,000 years I'm sure it will all come to an amicable conclusion soon enough
Old 15 March 2010, 01:01 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Blimmin Palestinian Nimbys!
Old 15 March 2010, 01:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
Blimmin Palestinian Nimbys!
Not In My Back, Yid?
Old 15 March 2010, 01:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Not In My Back, Yid?
jew think that's funny?
Old 15 March 2010, 05:41 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

was a chatting to an Israeli about this over lunch (I'm there at the moment) and he was saying that at the moment the over riding point of view is that they will no longer get support from the US with Obama, even to the extent that if Israel was attacked and looked like they were going to lose US wouldnt step in.

oh he also thinks the BBC News is one of the most biased on the planet. They seem to be a bit sore over the way their recent excursions into Lebanon and Gaza were reported!
Old 15 March 2010, 05:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
was a chatting to an Israeli about this over lunch (I'm there at the moment) and he was saying that at the moment the over riding point of view is that they will no longer get support from the US with Obama, even to the extent that if Israel was attacked and looked like they were going to lose US wouldnt step in.
I don't doubt that they are anxious about Obama's commitment, but I think hell would freeze over before the US would let Israel lose a war in the middle east

a bit of scaremongering i think
Old 15 March 2010, 06:24 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

that's what I told him! They're a bit paranoid however!

to them defeat in any "war" is unthinkable because of what they think the consequences would be which is why they will pretty much do what they need to do.

I keep on complaining to him that I'm not happy leaving my passport with their security office 'cos I dont want it used in an assassination!
Old 15 March 2010, 06:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I tend to be sympathetic to the Palestinians. And it is so one sided - look at the last skirmish, something like 1200 + Palestinians killed and a dozen Israelis. And the blockades which basically stop Palestine from rebuilding, but why can't the UN accompany goods brought in to try and ensure they aren't nicked by Hamas?

But there is huge Israeli support in US and to a lesser part in UK. Israelis are spread right through industry, it's not just Govt. And don't forget that Israel might just provide the means of wiping out Iran's nuclear development and that is a huge plus from the US point of view. dl
Old 15 March 2010, 07:55 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

The USA government is operated by Zionist Israel is run by Zionist Jews, I have been speaking to a client of mine from work who is Jewish from new York but setteld in the uk he told me that his father and uncels have been offered money to go and live in israel by the the isreali Zionist government. He admits it's not fair what's happening out there and he condems such acts as it's not in there religous belief I have sent him a link about thus thread but bare in mind he has no Internet tv or radio at home he will try and have a look at it some time this week and post to explain to all of us in detail.

When I say to him why not march against he says when people do that they always end up with problems later there's nothing he can do about it. He admits going to Israel but nit to settle only to pray and return to his house in Stamford hill he belives that's isreal to him.

By the way I don't agree with Hamas but when un and the rest if the world don't care what would you do, I love the concept of one rule for us and the rest for Zionist isreal
Old 15 March 2010, 08:08 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

all jewish immigrants in to Israel receive a substantial grant from the govt to help them settle in
Old 15 March 2010, 08:30 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Settle in I like that lol that must be the political term for it

Quick Reply: Israeli settlements