Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

God fearing folk.... aka Bible Bashers

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 06:14 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God fearing folk.... aka Bible Bashers

A thread highlighting the fact that a significant number of Roman Catholic priests were (and likely still are) kiddy fiddlers is deleted after it went off on a tangent after claims that there was "no God" and that there was also no afterlife. But in essence the basic facts were still accurate.

I'd be more concerned by the people who claimed there was an "almighty being" that no one can see, that created the world in seven days and is responsible for all the good and bad things in life.

Old 14 March 2010, 06:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is one interpretation of god of course, i am sure that followers of other religions might find this offensive as it implies that God is infact the only god, God forbid!

With regards to catholic priests, i am sure there are many priests who become priests for the right reasons and continue to be good priests all of thier lives. To brand all priests kiddy fiddlers is just wrong unless you can prove otherwise.

I guess you will get some priests who become prioests to put them in close contact with children with them as a figure of trust which would make it easier to molest the children.

I also guess that the priests lifestyle could also lewad to some becoming child molesters maybe.

What is abborant is that once these kiddy fiddling priests have been found out they get moved on and not removed or 'outed', covering up this sort of behaviour is just wrong and i am sure that is there was a God he/she/it would do something about it!

I am glad that i follow Jediism - as long as Luke doesn't end up marrying his sister or it will feel just like being back in Norfolk!
Old 14 March 2010, 06:30 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Just looking back at these "god fearing groups" is scary enough - Catholics, Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc.... are nothing but fear mongering cults! That sell salvation in return for allegiance to their one true organisation....
Old 14 March 2010, 07:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Just looking back at these "god fearing groups" is scary enough - Catholics, Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc.... are nothing but fear mongering cults! That sell salvation in return for allegiance to their one true organisation....
You were given a wide ranging answer to what you and other people on your original thread were saying.

Your and others' accusations and extremely unpleasant insults were uncalled for and were grossly unfair to those who lead good and honest lives as well as follow whatever religion they believe in.

How often do you see religiously minded people attacking atheists in the same manner that you choose to do?

You and others would do better to wind your necks in instead of insulting those who have never done you any personal harm and have done nothing to deserve such treatment.

Les
Old 14 March 2010, 07:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

<whispers>
Don't mention pooff's f-fsake, none of the mainstream religions seem to like it much, except christianity who seem to turn the other cheek still they have women priests as well so standards have really dropped off

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 March 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 14 March 2010, 08:08 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

The 1st religion that can prove their god exists/existed wins the raffle.

Southamton fans ~Matt Le Tissier doesn't count
Old 15 March 2010, 11:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX

But can you prove that He doesn't?

Les

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2010, 11:12 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Les TBH

I would have thought that the concentration camps, various genoicides all over the world, sunami's, natuiral disasters and childhood cancers, etc are pretty much proof that there is not a god. I cannot see how god could let children suffer and die - this is where it all falls apart for me.

There are all sorts of get out clauses in religions and i know people say that good let's us choose what we do to each other or even Enshalla (God willing, thus removing any responsibility from the person for thier actions) to name but a few. Heaven and hell concepts as a form of control but tbh i do not believe in God as such, i do see a lot of the moral codes as good things and if people need to believe then fine by me - that is of course until you get to the extremists which has already been well covered.

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 March 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 15 March 2010, 11:16 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX

LMAO!
Old 15 March 2010, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Les TBH

I would have thought that the concentration camps, various genoicides all over the world, sunami's, natuiral disasters and childhood cancers, etc are pretty much proof that there is not a god. I cannot see how god could let children suffer and die - this is where it all falls apart for me.

There are all sorts of get out clauses in religions and i know people say that good let's us choose what we do to each other or even Enshalla (God willing, thus removing any responsibility from the person for thier actions) to name but a few. Heaven and hell concepts as a form of control but tbh i do not believe in God as such, i do see a lot of the moral codes as good things and if people need to believe then fine by me - that is of course until you get to the extremists which has already been well covered.
Well I think we are all responsible for our own actions once we have attained the age of reason, and that many of those disasters that you quote are man made. A bad side in humans is endemic and I believe we are responsible to ensure that our good side overcomes that. Not only a religious precept but also part of natural law.

Most religions will explain that the natural disasters are all part of life and that the way people deal or cope with them and how much they do for others is a test for their suitability for what kind of existence they deserve after death.

They will say that one's life on Earth is not very important compared with what kind of existence you earn in your eternal afterlife. Simple logic of course.

Atheists are likely to ridicule all that of course, but that is to be expected.

Les
Old 15 March 2010, 12:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Well I think we are all responsible for our own actions once we have attained the age of reason, and that many of those disasters that you quote are man made. A bad side in humans is endemic and I believe we are responsible to ensure that our good side overcomes that. Not only a religious precept but also part of natural law.

Most religions will explain that the natural disasters are all part of life and that the way people deal or cope with them and how much they do for others is a test for their suitability for what kind of existence they deserve after death.

They will say that one's life on Earth is not very important compared with what kind of existence you earn in your eternal afterlife. Simple logic of course.

Atheists are likely to ridicule all that of course, but that is to be expected.

Les
So your god stands by whilst kids have thier arms hacked off or turned into soldiers or sex slaves in Rowanda - and that is OK by you because it is man doing it.

God stands by whilst the **** Halocaust went on, these where not soldiers in battle, just men, women and children and millions of them slaughtered - Please no nas inhumanity to mans bollox - if we are his children then surely he would step in to stop this - wouldn't any parent???

If we are all god's children then as our 'parent' then surely you would stop in to prevent such things as we do not seem to learn by our mistakes.

Why would god let children die of cancer or other diseases then, they have done no wrong surely?

makes no sense Les, Believe it if you wish, your choice Mate
Old 15 March 2010, 12:29 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am not a god fearing man but to start threads whereby you attack people that do have a faith is just cheap and lazy.
If someone has suffered a loss in the family, If someone is fighting their own demons and they chose to find a faith to help them cope why would you want to attack that faith.

No god lets children die, People let children die, people let kids get smuggled into the sex trade, people start wars, people drop bombs and the list goes on.
To claim that someone is wrong for having faith on the grounds "if there was a god would he let the following happen...." is a pretty weak argument.

I think it would be more constructive to understand that every day we do nothing to stop bad things happen, we are (partly) responsible for those things being allowed to happen.

I had a very good friend that was killed in a car accident about 10 years ago, her parents found a faith and it got them through it. How can that be wrong?

If you dont believe then fine, you dont believe but remember all the time bad things happen its us, the people in rich and privileged societies that should be made to feel bad, not people who have faith.

Last edited by Timwinner; 15 March 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:41 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Timwinner
I am not a god fearing man but to start threads whereby you attack people that do have a faith is just cheap and lazy.
If someone has suffered a loss in the family, If someone is fighting their own demons and they chose to find a faith to help them cope why would you want to attack that faith.

No god lets children die, People let children die, people let kids get smuggled into the sex trade, people start wars, people drop bombs and the list goes on.
To claim that someone is wrong for having faith on the grounds "if there was a god would he let the following happen...." is a pretty weak argument.

I think it would be more constructive to understand that every day we do nothing to stop bad things happen, we are (partly) responsible for those things being allowed to happen.

I had a very good friend that was killed in a car accident about 10 years ago, her parents found a faith and it got them through it. How can that be wrong?

If you dont believe then fine, you dont believe but remember all the time bad things happen its us, the people in rich and privileged societies that should be made to feel bad, not people who have faith.

I make reference to children as we can all prettty much agree that they are without 'sin'.

If we are all Gods children then no, he would not let kids suffer and die would he now, its is prettry fair to say so. That is hardly a weak argument.

Letting children be taken by those who wish to do them harm or turn them into killers or sex toys is just wrong, if i cannot prevent it, others cannot physically prevent it then surely god would step in, stop this but no, he does not. He lets man do what man want to other men.

If he is our father, our parent then he sets a terrible/ppor example and we as responsible adults/parent would not follow this example by allowing our children to do what they want to others would we.

Cancer is not an invention of man as are dozens of other diseases yet children still die, god looks or or turns a blind eye - not very nurturing is it.

Religions (mosty) provide a good moral framework and set of rules to follow and piunishes those who fall foul (hell) and rewards those who follow them (heaven) this translates loosely across most religions - it allows some level of control over the people who follow/believe

Religion gives some people something to believe in and to turn to if they have problems in thier lives - all well and good for thise who wish to believe.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:59 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Les
By the same logic though, I could claim that my god can/could fly like Superman and that he used to live on Krypton with all his brothers, the Thyophians.

Personally, I find this quite a moderate claim, in comparison to some of the stories you can find in 'Holy Books'

My point is, believing in a religion just makes you sound mental, stories like Father Christmas, Tooth Fairy etc are to be told to children and by the time they grown up and matured, have come to the conclusion that it is all make believe, because if you were speaking to a 30 something year old bloke who still believed in Santa, I am quite sure most would give him a wide berth.
Old 15 March 2010, 01:15 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Cancer is not an invention of man as are dozens of other diseases yet children still die, god looks or or turns a blind eye - not very nurturing is it.
Quite, indeed cancer would be an invention of God, how evil is that?

Geezer
Old 15 March 2010, 01:25 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

File:LynnHarveyNyborg-CountryBelieveGod-Intelligence.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mystery solved
Old 15 March 2010, 01:44 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Priest Off

Old 15 March 2010, 01:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Faith eh!.......What a load of bollox. Don't attack people that have "faith" - why not, what's so special about them? Surely their God will spring to their aid.... NOTAlthough a dull film "The Truth About Lying" is an interesting film - especially the bit where he makes up religion, where everyone that dies lives with the man in the clouds and gets a mansion! - interesting concept of controlling people with weak minds.And why is it that the word of God is always spoken by man?
Old 15 March 2010, 01:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont get organised religion, for a start there are loads and they all claim to be the true way and you must pray to appease, please, petition "God", God soes a lot of smiting and you best not do anything to incur his wrath, but this varies between each interpretation, some you cant have a bacon butty, some a tommy tank is forbidden and in others you arent allowed a beer, they all have strange rituals and were all invented a couple of thousand years ago and dont really change, even Apple fanboys have more credibility in my eyes than the religous in my eyes, ok some cant avoid it as everyone is doing it in their community and they get ostracized if they dont, thats tough, how many just go through the motions beleiving none of it and how many people just quietly dont worship anything but live good lives, how many utter ***** turn up every sunday having done some horrible things in the week.

If there is some higher purpose I would expect its more abstract than an old bearded man in the sky with no sense of humour, just some kind of essence that doesnt control, judge or intervene, nor does it deny me pork products, thats just mumbo jumbo based on what was going on in the middle east two thousand odd years ago.

I do struggle treating anyone in the work place who tells me that they beleive that the world was created in seven days by God as per the Old Testament when science gives a way more convincing argument to the contrary.

I have decided that there isnt a god, you dont get re-incarnated you just become soil, goodnight Vienna, doesnt matter as you are either dead and if by some miracle there is something, and I get to go and chat to the grandparents on a cloud whilst strumming a harp then thats a nice surprise isnt it.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:07 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Les

No I can't Les but you'd have thought He would of put in an appearance before now . I'm off to hunt for the tooth fairy
Old 15 March 2010, 02:22 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Faith eh!.......What a load of bollox. Don't attack people that have "faith" - why not, what's so special about them?
Why would you thats my point, Well you would because you love making threads into arguments, but whats the point in doing it.....

So as with many other SN threads I am never going to agree with some people on here, I am never going to be able to understand some peoples views on here, and unlike a few members I am not going to keep posting on this thread to get my post count up.

If you want to make fun of people that have found a coping mechanism then crack on, but I am sure your time could be better spent looking into helping people that have suffered from the things you so joyfully point out "god" must have created.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How often do you see religiously minded people attacking atheists in the same manner that you choose to do?
Les

Now I am not defending anyone that's been a *****, but c'mon ..

Almost every religion teaches to hurt none believers in some way !
Old 15 March 2010, 02:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Having a go at organised religion is the "new religion"....kind of an "Anti-faith" movement

People who INSIST on telling everyone just how silly they think religious people are are every bit as annoying and misguided as people who insist on telling everyone they're silly for not believing in religion. Believe in what you will, don't believe in what you will; your life, your call. BUT as with every other life choice, respect that others may have different views and just don't impose your choice on the rest of us, please!
Old 15 March 2010, 02:40 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Bizarre that Philipe Massa in his comeback race thanks God for getting him through his accident at his 1st post race interview (100s of millions audience) but neglected to mention the real people that saved his life.

Certainly does work in mysterious ways, eh
Old 15 March 2010, 02:40 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Timwinner

Old 15 March 2010, 02:50 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Bizarre that Philipe Massa in his comeback race thanks God for getting him through his accident at his 1st post race interview (100s of millions audience) but neglected to mention the real people that saved his life.

Certainly does work in mysterious ways, eh
And of course, presumably the same God that caused him to crash in the first place.

And the same God that failed to get him to first place...... [etc etc ad infinitum]

Geezer
Old 15 March 2010, 03:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It’s when faith gets mixed up with truth that the trouble starts

for example Bush/Blair did not need proof of any WMD etc etc, because ultimately (and along with Muslim extremist) they had faith they were doing the right thing by invaded a foreign country

and the truth is they a both dangerous psychopaths
Old 15 March 2010, 03:36 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The thing is with Blair, is that IMO I don't think his faith was the deciding factor regarding Iraq, more that he was in such a hole justifying himself after the lack of WMD's found and the obvious bullsh!t 45mins report - that he had exhausted all avenues of reasoning, so hit us with the 'let God judge me' line, must have been Campbells plan Z.
Old 15 March 2010, 03:52 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

''George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man'' - Ron Slater Dazed and Confused.

I neither believe or disbelieve, I truly feel there is something out there, is it a man in a white dress with a beard? I honestly doubt it, but I do feel that there are certain things that can never be explained.

But to be a 100% devoted follower of a book that's extracts were documented sometimes, second and third hand, and several years after the event.... I just find it odd.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:07 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
''George Washington was in a cult, and the cult was into aliens, man'' - Ron Slater Dazed and Confused.

I neither believe or disbelieve, I truly feel there is something out there, is it a man in a white dress with a beard? I honestly doubt it, but I do feel that there are certain things that can never be explained.

But to be a 100% devoted follower of a book that's extracts were documented sometimes, second and third hand, and several years after the event.... I just find it odd.
I would be very interested to hear what things you think will never be explained and why.

That sort of thinking would have us in the dark ages still, for lots of modern science would be magic to people of those times.

Geezer

Quick Reply: God fearing folk.... aka Bible Bashers