Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private number plate confusion ??

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2010, 09:14 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private number plate confusion ??

Hi guys looking for a bit off advice on private plates, been offered a plate that I kinda fancy at what is a decent price,the plate is currently on a v750 retention certificate with all fees paid which is great, now from what I belive this retention certificate means that I can keep the plate going without actually having to register it on my car immediatly- this correct ??

does the certificate last indefently ie. there is not a time limit before I would have to pay furter fees to keep it on retention ??

if I want to take it off retention and put in on the car will it cost me to actual register that it is on my car ??

my own car has a p/plate on it just now that I would obviously try sell, problem is not sure if I removed the old plate and replaced it with the new plate how long I could advertise it for before by law it would have to go on retention and this cause me to have to part with more money !!

if anyone is still with me on the above then please do offer some advice bit confused by it all !!!!
Old 07 March 2010, 09:23 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

I have several on retention.

You have to pay £25 pa to hold the plate on retention.

No other catches just keep paying it or they will take them back.

Chop
Old 07 March 2010, 09:28 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Hi guys looking for a bit off advice on private plates, been offered a plate that I kinda fancy at what is a decent price,the plate is currently on a v750 retention certificate with all fees paid which is great, now from what I belive this retention certificate means that I can keep the plate going without actually having to register it on my car immediatly- this correct ??

does the certificate last indefently ie. there is not a time limit before I would have to pay furter fees to keep it on retention ??

if I want to take it off retention and put in on the car will it cost me to actual register that it is on my car ??

my own car has a p/plate on it just now that I would obviously try sell, problem is not sure if I removed the old plate and replaced it with the new plate how long I could advertise it for before by law it would have to go on retention and this cause me to have to part with more money !!

if anyone is still with me on the above then please do offer some advice bit confused by it all !!!!
Erm If you remove the Old plate it WILL HAVE to go on retention end of story if you going to sell it. the only way to avoid retention is to transfer it from your car direct to another.
Old 07 March 2010, 09:28 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thats great, still a bit confused then mate is this £25 just the renewal fee for retention ?? ie it will cost you £80-£120 or whatver it is to initially put it on retention and then its £25 pa after that ??

also any advice regards cost when I finally want to put it on my car as well as info on how long I could keep my own current plate advertised for before it would cost me to have to put it on retention ??

sorry, told you I was a bit confused by it all !!!!!

** was obviously typing whilst you were typing your own message Spec " c " 57, so okay cheers straight away it is !! **

Last edited by jono300; 07 March 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07 March 2010, 09:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

No, the retention certificate will first need to be sent away to get your name added as a nominee. That will cost either you or the seller £25. Then you will really need to put the plate on a car. This is because you are still only a nominee and the seller remains the grantee which means all retention reminders will go to the sellers address. It is only when YOU assign the plate to a vehicle that YOU become grantee and effectively the owner. With all fees being paid it is free to put the plate on a vehicle.

This really wouldn't apply if you comply with the above though retention certificates last 12 months and cost £25 to renew. Taking a plate off a car and on to retention costs £105 (£80 transfer + £25 retention).

Except the £25 name change no.

Old plate needs to be placed on retention (£105) to be sold. New plate can then go on.

I just did.
Old 07 March 2010, 09:47 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Really appreciatte that mate, so to sum it up they have got you all ways and are making a barrell full off dosh for a little admin work thru this private plate carry on !!!
Old 07 March 2010, 09:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Really appreciatte that mate, so to sum it up they have got you all ways and are making a barrell full off dosh for a little admin work thru this private plate carry on !!!
In short, yes. At least they very rarely ask (if at all) to see the vehicle anymore. Back in the 70's and early 80's you always had to present the car for inspection and they hated private plate owners!

Don't trust a seller to keep up retention costs on your behalf as a nominee either. If they don't do it you can't even talk to the DVLA as a nominee and you stand to lose your money if the seller disappears. Get grantee status ASAP by assigning the plate to a vehicle.
Old 08 March 2010, 07:18 AM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

Been going through this with the dvla at the moment right PITA

You could become the grantee but would cost to do so

You can have a plate on retention for 1,2 or 3 years at a time

For some stupid reason you would have to transfer your current plate off your car either onto retention or to another car before you can put the new private plate on

They still reserve the right to inspect your car before the transfer can take place

The whole process can take up to 6 weeks to get the paperwork back
Old 08 March 2010, 05:16 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Spoon, well done, explained to perfection.....................
Old 08 March 2010, 05:57 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

i bought my car with a private plate on, i have no documentation about it (i know it's a private plate though through the hpi check),www.regtransferes value the plate at £400. Although i never bought the plate and it's registered tyo the car, am i still entitled to sell it?
Old 08 March 2010, 09:47 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboothy
i bought my car with a private plate on, i have no documentation about it (i know it's a private plate though through the hpi check),www.regtransferes value the plate at £400. Although i never bought the plate and it's registered tyo the car, am i still entitled to sell it?
Best to first check your V5C registration document to make sure the registration number isn't marked as 'non-transferrable'. If not the number is available to be transferred should you get somebody willing to buy it. It is up to the buyer then to make sure the plate is allowed on their vehicle.

You can do a vehicle to vehicle transfer after filling out a form and gathering the necessary paperwork. Take the completed form or post it to your local DVLA office with the documents. You'll need both vehicles original V5s and MOT certificates. Plus you'll need the tax disc details of both vehicles but not the tax discs themselves. A transfer costs £80

To get the number on retention and sell at your leisure it'll cost you £105.

Your vehicle will be given an age related plate to go back on. It'll more than likely be the plate that was on the vehicle before the private plate was issued, though not always.

r32 - Thank you.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont know why people bother, about 1% are remotely cool or funny, the rest are either tragic and trying too hard or just mark you down as a tool, I do find that a lot of them are a good way of identifying driver who are going to do something idiotic, a Mini with something like "BEX" in the registration is usually a good one to give a wide birth to.

We have one on retention, should really flog it as neither of us want it on the car, I dont want everyone knowing where I am all the time !
Old 08 March 2010, 10:18 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

it's soooo much easier to change your name to your number plate

LJ07
Old 08 March 2010, 10:25 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I really dont know why people bother, about 1% are remotely cool or funny, the rest are either tragic and trying too hard or just mark you down as a tool, I do find that a lot of them are a good way of identifying driver who are going to do something idiotic, a Mini with something like "BEX" in the registration is usually a good one to give a wide birth to.

We have one on retention, should really flog it as neither of us want it on the car, I dont want everyone knowing where I am all the time !
Plates were fun before the DVLA jumped on the money trail and offered cheap rubbish that then gets doctored to look cr4p.

I have 4 on retention/for sale that all were on vehicles until 8 years ago when I decided I'd had enough of displaying them.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, I could put ours on but its not relevant to me at all, it has MU in it and it may be misconstrued that I give a toss about football, it isnt my initials, I could probably buy one with my initials but I know them and nobody else cares.

There are some really good plates out there but most are just mis spaced, crappy Irish ones or a pecking order cash thing with initials, i.e. less is better.

They can be a good investment and if someone gets some enjoyment then there isnt a problem but the mis-spacing should be stamped out, along with the ***** fonts, strategic dots etc, I am sure if it is, cretins will find another way of letting us know what they are.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
They can be a good investment and if someone gets some enjoyment then there isnt a problem but the mis-spacing should be stamped out, along with the ***** fonts, strategic dots etc, I am sure if it is, cretins will find another way of letting us know what they are.
There is a version of almost everything for everybody now which makes most things quite w4nky. Those things still out of reach of some can then be obtained from a lottery win too which is the final piece in the w4nkiness puzzle.

Plates can indeed be an investment. Valuations are all well and good but getting that figure is another story. I bought a plate many years ago for £1,500 and it is for sale now for 60K but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09 March 2010, 05:50 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Best to first check your V5C registration document to make sure the registration number isn't marked as 'non-transferrable'. If not the number is available to be transferred should you get somebody willing to buy it. It is up to the buyer then to make sure the plate is allowed on their vehicle.

You can do a vehicle to vehicle transfer after filling out a form and gathering the necessary paperwork. Take the completed form or post it to your local DVLA office with the documents. You'll need both vehicles original V5s and MOT certificates. Plus you'll need the tax disc details of both vehicles but not the tax discs themselves. A transfer costs £80

To get the number on retention and sell at your leisure it'll cost you £105.

Your vehicle will be given an age related plate to go back on. It'll more than likely be the plate that was on the vehicle before the private plate was issued, though not always.

r32 - Thank you.
cheers mate. I can't seem to find "non transferable on the V5" so if anyone;s got the initials "JMF" (on an S) it's for sale!!
Old 09 March 2010, 10:10 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Tell you what guys for once ebay seems to be a great place to pick up some bargain priced plates, a few bargains on there from the 75 pages off cherished plates I have just sifted thru !!

even picked up an irish plate JHZ **** on there last year for just £10 plus transfer fee !!
good enough for hiding the age off car !!