Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you help the homeless?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2010, 09:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Do you help the homeless?

Reading a novel today which featured a lot of stuff about "rough sleepers". Got me thinking.

Whenever I see people who are selling "Big Issue", or are homeless, I try to put my hand in my pocket. I KNOW some of them will convert what I give them into drugs, but that is their choice.

I DO ensure that the person I am giving to is British, I'm giving NOWT to foreign beggars.

What do others do?
Old 06 March 2010, 09:51 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i see one sleeping and in my way, i kick it out of the way saving it from being trampled on
Old 06 March 2010, 09:53 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by alcazar
Whenever I see people who are selling "Big Issue", or are homeless, I try to put my hand in my pocket.
I do that too. But i pretend that i dont have any change
Old 06 March 2010, 09:57 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pay Tax. Thats my contribution.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:10 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I could write a book myself.

i have a number rented properties....... and have dealings with FRAMEWORK. If you know about Big Issue and 'rough sleeping' you'll know what Framework is.

I've had two good experiences with 'tenant' who came through this organisation over the last three years...
then two that have been bad, One last year only had a property 4weeks before police raided it and he was arrested, flat was being used as a drug den for ppl to 'shoot up' (he sold Big Issue!)

currently have a tenant only been in another property 1week, never ever lived in a house/flat etc.. only been used to children's homes and hostels and sleeping in doorways etc, this isn't a young/middle aged person either! in the last week I've had numerous phone calls about 'issues'!!

as i say, I could write a book myself.

I don't judge, but in some ways you come to the conclusion you can help some but not others and those who help themselves normally make their way in life.... then the others need 'support' for outside agencies as they can't look after themselves without help.

Phil
Old 06 March 2010, 10:17 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I DO ensure that the person I am giving to is British, I'm giving NOWT to foreign beggars.

What do others do?
Amazingly generous and unbelievable selfish in the same post.

Well done!
Old 06 March 2010, 10:17 PM
Will
BANNED

Knock knock 'Who's there'

'Biggish'

Biggish who'

'For the tenth time NO'

Trending Topics

Old 06 March 2010, 10:20 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I think they need help keeping warm at night.

..hence I set fire to them
Old 06 March 2010, 10:21 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Reading a novel today which featured a lot of stuff about "rough sleepers". Got me thinking.

Whenever I see people who are selling "Big Issue", or are homeless, I try to put my hand in my pocket. I KNOW some of them will convert what I give them into drugs, but that is their choice.

What do others do?
stop knocking them there are crooks but i spend a lot off my time working for nought feeding them at christmas and various soup kitchens
Old 07 March 2010, 12:31 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What do others do?
Yes, I do help the homeless. This is one of the things I feel really strongly about. To see spongers living in fantastic dwellings and getting loads off the state, yet genuine people who have hit hard times living on the streets makes me so mad, you have no idea.
I always give out, and so wish I could do more
Old 07 March 2010, 12:55 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
I could write a book myself.

i have a number rented properties....... and have dealings with FRAMEWORK. If you know about Big Issue and 'rough sleeping' you'll know what Framework is.

I've had two good experiences with 'tenant' who came through this organisation over the last three years...
then two that have been bad, One last year only had a property 4weeks before police raided it and he was arrested, flat was being used as a drug den for ppl to 'shoot up' (he sold Big Issue!)

currently have a tenant only been in another property 1week, never ever lived in a house/flat etc.. only been used to children's homes and hostels and sleeping in doorways etc, this isn't a young/middle aged person either! in the last week I've had numerous phone calls about 'issues'!!

as i say, I could write a book myself.

I don't judge, but in some ways you come to the conclusion you can help some but not others and those who help themselves normally make their way in life.... then the others need 'support' for outside agencies as they can't look after themselves without help.

Phil
Phil,

I've spent "time serving a sentence" with Framework or 1 weeks "training" as Notts police try to call it.

Out of all of the clients I met at Framework, I've only seen one turn his life around. One has been sent down for three counts of rape, the rest I generally pick up for theft, burglary, drug offences or going equipped. If they've been released, breach of warrant.

The staff at Framework are brilliant. It's the clients that let them down. TBH, I'm really surprised you let them rent your places. I've thought about letting mine and moving to the Manderley plot on Plains Road myself - simply as it's out of they way of Snafs and my current place is in a quiet cul-de-sac (but you know where it is anyway). But I'm not cruel enough to inflict criminal scum on my neighbours.

In general regards to helping the homeless, well, som are criminals. But there are also a element of criminals who do have a home. Either way, I'm happy to nick them.

If we wanted to stereotype, I'd say all criminals smell.

It's a mix of sweat, rolling tobacco, 1 shower a year and generally minging. Christ, I hate it when they make one cop sit in the back of the panda with the prisoner and it's my turn. It's almost enough to make you sick.

Then you have the strip search......

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 07 March 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07 March 2010, 09:00 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

You sanctimonious people make me sick... you have no idea how difficult it is for a homless person such as myself to fund my WRX or how long it took me to find a parked Scooby to steal its exhaust off , .... and dont you dare start me off on how difficult it is to shoplift for food now Tesco employs secuity chimps and as for drugs and White lightening cider? ... Do you have any idea of the outragous costs of this stuff ? Its getting more and more difficult to wire this PC up to lamposts too, have some feelings for us down and outs
Old 07 March 2010, 09:58 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was speaking to a Scottish homeless guy who I met in newquay a few years back, very interesting guy who had lost his daughter to leukemia, turned to drink and ended up losing his wife and business. He had nothing left up in Scotland so managed to train hop down to cornwall.
I am not saying every homeless people have a sad and tragic story, but you have to think how some of these people ended up there.

and why was I in a train station shelter talking to a homeless guy in the first place? because I had been chucked out of a club, it was snowing and my bus did not arrive until 2
Old 07 March 2010, 10:11 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Phil,

I've spent "time serving a sentence" with Framework or 1 weeks "training" as Notts police try to call it.

Out of all of the clients I met at Framework, I've only seen one turn his life around. One has been sent down for three counts of rape, the rest I generally pick up for theft, burglary, drug offences or going equipped. If they've been released, breach of warrant.

The staff at Framework are brilliant. It's the clients that let them down. TBH, I'm really surprised you let them rent your places. I've thought about letting mine and moving to the Manderley plot on Plains Road myself - simply as it's out of they way of Snafs and my current place is in a quiet cul-de-sac (but you know where it is anyway). But I'm not cruel enough to inflict criminal scum on my neighbours.

In general regards to helping the homeless, well, som are criminals. But there are also a element of criminals who do have a home. Either way, I'm happy to nick them.

If we wanted to stereotype, I'd say all criminals smell.

It's a mix of sweat, rolling tobacco, 1 shower a year and generally minging. Christ, I hate it when they make one cop sit in the back of the panda with the prisoner and it's my turn. It's almost enough to make you sick.

Then you have the strip search......
don't move to Manderley estate, we went round looking last weeknd as the In-laws are looking to move to Mapperley from Lichfield. Manderley are over price, squeezed in very bad entry/exit back into Arnold Lane / Mapperley Plains, also have 50/50 housing and social housing going to Housing association too.
Old 07 March 2010, 10:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Amazingly generous and unbelievable selfish in the same post.

Well done!
Well, I try

But I DO have my principles: Foreign beggars can beggar off back where they came from.
Old 07 March 2010, 11:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I don't do much and think I should do more. But it's easy to ignore or make feeble excuses (or cheap jokes) isn't it?

But I think it is often a very fine line between having a home one minute and then nothing the next. Of course I realise that booze or drugs are often the deciding factor.

So I give the Big Issue chap a couple of quid but don't take a mag and I listen to a busker, pat his dog, say thanks for the tune and throw some money in his music case.

But that is all and I am slightly ashamed to admit it. dl
Old 07 March 2010, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I always feel sorry for anyone I see who is a rough sleeper and is on hard times. This can happen so easily if you get some bad luck and it is frightening how one's life can fall apart. From that position it is almost impossible to recover to a comfortable way of living.

Those of us who are comparatively off with all the comforts should be very grateful for our luck. That will not only depend on the fact that you have a job and are financially well off, but that you were more likely to have been born in such a situation that you were able to make the best of it with a good start in life.

Whatever the facts of the situation, I think it would be grossly selfish not to give a man in that situation a bit of help.

Although I am blessed with a sense of humour, I find it disappointing to see some trying to make seriously bad jokes about the subject.

Les
Old 07 March 2010, 12:30 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Sorry Leslie but in this day and in this country I see no or little excuse for being homeless , worse case senario....join the army , go to exotic places , eat exotic food , meet exotic people...and kill them
Old 07 March 2010, 12:36 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_impreza
If i see one sleeping and in my way, i kick it out of the way saving it from being trampled on

I once gave a homeless person a detached property, saved me taking the plasma screen box to the tip
Old 07 March 2010, 12:54 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmike
Sorry Leslie but in this day and in this country I see no or little excuse for being homeless , worse case senario....join the army , go to exotic places , eat exotic food , meet exotic people...and kill them
Ironically a lot of homeless people were in the army and end up failing to adapt to civvie life after.
Old 07 March 2010, 01:10 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

walked past a homeless person today...he said "Any change"...I said "No I've still got a good job 2 motorbikes 2 cars and a nice house"!!!
Old 07 March 2010, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastmike
Why are you apologising?

Les
Old 07 March 2010, 01:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
walked past a homeless person today...he said "Any change"...I said "No I've still got a good job 2 motorbikes 2 cars and a nice house"!!!
Oh my goodness - that's the best one so far

And I wouldn't worry about being offensive to the homeless as I expect they get abuse from ****** like you every day......

And those kids eh? The ones that found a homeless guy asleep on a bench and set fire to his beard. Gave him serious burns to his face - what a good laugh that was

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 07 March 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07 March 2010, 01:42 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Oh my goodness - that's the best one so far

And I wouldn't worry about being offensive to the homeless as I expect they get abuse from ****** like you every day......

And those kids eh? The ones that found a homeless guy asleep on a bench and set fire to his beard. Gave him serious burns to his face - what a good laugh that was

dl

1 I'm not a *****
2 Get off your high horse
Old 07 March 2010, 01:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
I might have laughed at that before reading the book. Not now, sorry
Old 07 March 2010, 01:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

1) You're probably not but that's how you came over on this thread - to me anyway

2) I'll stay on my high horse if I want to. I do feel really sorry for these folk - and UK is probably one of the kindest places in the world in this respect. In Zambia, for example, homeless kids in Lusaka collect human and dog dirt from the gutter to get a high from the gases produced to give themselves some pleasure in life. That's how we treat fellow human beings in the 21st century.

dl
Old 07 March 2010, 01:57 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

I might have laughed at that before reading the book. Not now, sorry

Wasn't a serious reply ,made in jest.To be honest you don't see many homeless around here At least you had the decency not to call me a *****
Old 07 March 2010, 02:01 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
1) You're probably not but that's how you came over on this thread - to me anyway

2) I'll stay on my high horse if I want to. I do feel really sorry for these folk - and UK is probably one of the kindest places in the world in this respect. In Zambia, for example, homeless kids in Lusaka collect human and dog dirt from the gutter to get a high from the gases produced to give themselves some pleasure in life. That's how we treat fellow human beings in the 21st century.

dl
I thought you was bright enough to seperate serious replies and replies made in jest My mistake. Rememeber your going to get a mixture of replies and calling other members ****** is a . Now i'd reccomend you go read the t&c's
Old 07 March 2010, 02:11 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I've no time for them...

Just recently my city has become rife with the lazy tossers, they all sit there half a fecking sleep wearing their trademark 'green army coat and Inca hat' just able to squeeze out a ramble "nanarr, nugh... chunge ... nuff nargh" and don't even lift their heads....

They have their favourite spots.. outside certain pubs, under subways etc. and are a fecking blight on the place.

Give me one reason why these ******* should be arrested on sight for being useless sponging *****!
Old 07 March 2010, 02:22 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

a beggar asked me "any change mate " i said "no - still live in ****1ng massive house,live on steak,and drive a subaru !!!!"

sorry could not resist,lol

Quick Reply: Do you help the homeless?