Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Legality of lazer diffuser/jammer?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2002, 02:48 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was under the impression these were illegal, but was enquring to day with a snooper dealer and he recommended one of these and says they are totally legal.

I am confused............

Andy
Old 23 March 2002, 02:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

untested......... try one.... you may be a test case in court?
Old 23 March 2002, 03:28 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

You don't need a license to transmit light, so they should be legal under the wireless telegraphy act.....
Old 23 March 2002, 06:56 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

By using one your preventing a police officer from carrying out his duites, i.e he cannot read your speed.

Also read somewhere though you cannot be done though unlesss the officer can prove you were speeding?

Confusing subject, and i`m also under the impression they are illegal.Still gonna buy one though as soon as i get alittle spare cash

Rich.
Old 23 March 2002, 07:33 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I believe that detectors are OK (but pretty useless since they can't give any early warning), but that jammers are illegal. They're preventing a police officer from carrying out his duties, which is a more serious crime than speeding. Bad idea IMHO.

A.
Old 23 March 2002, 07:59 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Repeated from a post on scoobynet, a long time ago.

The general public opinion is that these devices are illegal to use,not to own and that there are a number of offensenses that these theoretically fall under.

One of which is perverting the course of justice. The legal opinion
on this is divided. Seeing as the units primary purpose is to remotely trigger automated garage doors, this charge is unlikely to stick. To the legal guy's knowledge no one has been prosecuted for this for owning a laser diffuser.

The other main one is interferring with the ability for a police officer to do his job. This is the less serious, but carries more weight in terms of argument. However again it can be argued that jamming laser is the side effect of the units primary purpose and that by using other method(such as spotting the speed trap) you are also preventing the police officer from doing you for speeding.

The last one is that it is against the wireless and telegraphy act. This will not stand as there is no law against emitting light(we'd have to ban lightbulbs)

To His(the legal guy's) knowledge, no one has been prosecuted for the use of a laser diffuser There's no doubt these devices are in a legal gray area(in that it's yet to be proven in court that they are or are not legal). But what is in no doubt is that you are far more likely to be caught speeding than you are caught for using a diffuser.

A camera van is hardly likely to come chasing after you, as is a cop on a motorway bridge. He'll just target someone else. The error codes produced on the gun are the same as when the gun get's a false reading due to relfection, sunlight or too much scatter. As long as you use it correctly i've been told by people who own them(including police officers) that there is little to signal
that the police officer is being jammed.

Also once, installed they are very hard to spot, unless you know where to look and have a torch handy.

The police officially frown on these devices but privately most buy one, when then they see them working, as witnessed from the reviews on the net. To me that says everything that needs to be said on the legal issue.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 3/23/2002 8:00:18 PM]
Old 23 March 2002, 08:31 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Andy W, why buy one when we have so few police cameras in action?
Keep eyes open when approaching bridges on the M1, M2 and entering 30 MPH zones. Works for me and I drive like a loon and got no points yet.

ps only got a WRX though not an STI

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2002, 08:33 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

pps just re read your post and the dealer is hardly going to say "oh can't sell that sir might not be entirely legal!".
Old 23 March 2002, 10:16 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

If a "friend" wanted to buy one of these laser diffuser/jammers, where could "he" buy one from?
Any online shops selling them?

Its not for me officer, its for my "M8"....honest

BOB
Old 24 March 2002, 07:47 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I think networx automotive www.networxautomotive.com
Sell them, according to Steve Warren's speedtrap website the LE850 is the current king of the 'cloaking devices'
Old 24 March 2002, 09:54 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Cheers Neil, I'll give them a try......eer, I mean I'll tell my M8 to try them

BOB
Old 24 March 2002, 08:23 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Might just be too late!

I may have been caught today, doing 40 entering a 30 zone on a ring road dual carriageway.

Beat up Red van sitting 300 yards into a 30 zone in a deserted town centre at 9am on a sunday morning,

Isn't modern policing wonderfull!!

Bug-eye the PSNI are getting worse I haven't seen a speed trap in months then see 4 sneaky ones in a week.

3 near Dungiven today's was Portadown
Old 24 March 2002, 08:50 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Think we were spoiled in this country when the cops dare not stay in one place for too long.
Old 25 March 2002, 12:25 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Wink

Think we were spoiled in this country when the cops dare not stay in one place for too long.
Bit close to the bone. This side of the Irish sea some people have started necklacing GATSOs (naughty naughty), but I've yet to hear of them attacking the "safety" camera vans.

Duncan

[Edited by BugEyed - 3/25/2002 12:35:40 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 12:45 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Northants apparently have 3 or 4 cops on patrol, so that motorists who make rude gestures to the camera van teams can get arrested and charged with public order offenses.

I bet people in Northants sleep soundly in their beds knowing that Northants police have so many spare police officers they can man this service.
Old 25 March 2002, 01:58 PM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk

Everything you need to know including excellent deals on detectors and jammers. Jammers by the way are NOT illegal. There is no law preventing you from surrounding your car with radio waves.