Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me a blu-ray player.

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2010, 09:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommend me a blu-ray player.

Sold all my HD-DVD's on ebay and I'm gonna keep my HD-DVD player and use it in the bedroom as its fantastic at upscaling standard DVDs. So really i need a decent Blu-ray player with multi-channel output.

I'm considering the Sony BDP-S760 but am open for suggestions.
Old 19 February 2010, 09:59 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered a PS3?
Old 19 February 2010, 10:05 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

had one, ****e with games even ****ter at playing blu-rays. It was a good alternative when it came out but you can buy better players for £100.
Old 19 February 2010, 10:10 PM
Will
BANNED

£100 you say!! Will have a look

Old 19 February 2010, 10:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If the ps3 is that rubbish at blueray? I take it your home cinema is the best money can buy ??
Old 19 February 2010, 10:33 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
If the ps3 is that rubbish at blueray? I take it your home cinema is the best money can buy ??
It was the best my money could buy.
Old 20 February 2010, 03:37 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Oppo ...

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2010, 09:40 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

ps3 is the best one if you dont think so you obviously had it set up wrong and i do gather you have a full hd telly 1080i or p
Old 20 February 2010, 10:02 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deanb1980
ps3 is the best one if you dont think so you obviously had it set up wrong and i do gather you have a full hd telly 1080i or p
The PS3 is not the best blu-ray player for the money, it just used to be the cheapest. As it doesn't have multi-channel out its no good to me regardless of the fact it is a poor substitute for a proper blu-ray player as it struggles with black levels and motion not to mention not being a great upscaling DVD player. Coming from having a standalone HD-DVD player, the PS3 is very very average in picture quality.

I use a Pioneer Plasma.
Old 20 February 2010, 10:04 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
Oppo ...
which oppo are you using? a bit more info on why you think its good would be appreciated.
Old 20 February 2010, 10:15 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i have a Sony BDP-S300 129.99 from play.com, (was 279 when i bought it) takes ages to load a disc, but it looks great on a bravia kdl 46w3000, having said that, so does BD through 1st gen PS3, but then again i'm not bothered about black levels and stuff.
Old 20 February 2010, 10:26 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

when i was saying ps3 i ment the 1st generation as thats what i have and have never had a problem with it the hd upscaler works perfectly and have never noticed anything wrong with the blacks or any other colours even when i play my blu rays through my laptop to my telly they look identical but you are right about the multi channel you got me on that one lol
Old 20 February 2010, 10:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these, no issues and runs great oh and the price aint bad either
Look at HMV as they do this with 3 bluray discs for 129.99

Philips Blu-ray Player BDP3000 - DVD & Blu-ray - Home cinema, DVD & Blu-ray - Technology - Sainsbury’s

Tony
Old 20 February 2010, 04:15 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
which oppo are you using? a bit more info on why you think its good would be appreciated.
I have the 83 , But the cheaper 80 might suit your needs , Its my third Blu Ray player and is a class act in terms of speed of operation functionality and PQ , Plus regular firmware updates and a customer support that actually answer emails is another bonus. And can be made region free easily for all BR and SD material.

more info here :

CRT Projectors Home Cinema Experts

OPPO Digital - Blu-ray and Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

Blu-ray Players - AVForums.com

Old 20 February 2010, 04:20 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

The PS3 is not the best blu-ray player for the money, it just used to be the cheapest. As it doesn't have multi-channel out its no good to me regardless of the fact it is a poor substitute for a proper blu-ray player as it struggles with black levels and motion not to mention not being a great upscaling DVD player. Coming from having a standalone HD-DVD player, the PS3 is very very average in picture quality.

I use a Pioneer Plasma.
If you are such an expert on Blu-ray, why the hell are you asking for advice on here?
Old 20 February 2010, 04:23 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

perhaps it was a test..........maybe AVforums would be your best bet.
Old 20 February 2010, 04:33 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
If you are such an expert on Blu-ray, why the hell are you asking for advice on here?
Where did i say i'm an expert?
Old 20 February 2010, 04:34 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
I have the 83 , But the cheaper 80 might suit your needs , Its my third Blu Ray player and is a class act in terms of speed of operation functionality and PQ , Plus regular firmware updates and a customer support that actually answer emails is another bonus. And can be made region free easily for all BR and SD material.

more info here :

CRT Projectors Home Cinema Experts

OPPO Digital - Blu-ray and Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

Blu-ray Players - AVForums.com

excellent stuff, Thank you!

Just having a wee read at the 80 and i think thats pretty much the exact spec i need, 1080p/24 and multi-channel out plus fast loading times is a good bonus!

Last edited by Jamz3k; 20 February 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 21 February 2010, 09:36 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Most BDPs are much the same. They only really vary on their sound quality when you are using multichannel analogue out, rather than hdmi out, ie where the bdp is doing the on board decoding of hd sound formats.

Do you have an AV amp that decodes hd sound codecs?
Old 21 February 2010, 09:46 AM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

We have the Sony BDP-S760 here going through a 46" Bravia Tv and a Sony 7.1 Home Cinema, The picture and sound quaility are fantastic. Not had the set up very long so havent fiddled about much with settings etc but i would recommend it to anybody.

Obviously being all sony they match up lovely with looks and function.
Being my first Blu-Ray setup i cant compare it to others and there have a been one or 2 dvds that upscaled oddly but is probably just a setting.

Rich
Old 21 February 2010, 09:55 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Whilst I can "see" the BluRay is a better picture, I just don't see it taking off.......(for me anyway)
I've currently got a 42" Panny Plasma, but I'm already looking at a Samsung OLED, as the picture I viewed was jaw-dropping (running with a BDP).
I don't want loads of discs - I want streamable content. Discs are SOOOOOO 90's

(all imho, of course )

Dan
Old 21 February 2010, 10:09 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Do you have an AV amp that decodes hd sound codecs?
No, this is why i need a Bluray player with multi-channel out. I have a fantastic but sadly out of date Amplifier (Pioneer VSX-AX3) and at the moment cannot justify changing the amplifier as i don't watch that many movies anymore.

I have also been checking out the Denon AVR1910 and whilst a very very good amplifier, i think its more a sideways move rather than upgrade as i genuinely think the amplification side of my amp is still better plus the build quality of amp is leagues ahead.
Old 21 February 2010, 04:05 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

No, this is why i need a Bluray player with multi-channel out. I have a fantastic but sadly out of date Amplifier (Pioneer VSX-AX3) and at the moment cannot justify changing the amplifier as i don't watch that many movies anymore.

I have also been checking out the Denon AVR1910 and whilst a very very good amplifier, i think its more a sideways move rather than upgrade as i genuinely think the amplification side of my amp is still better plus the build quality of amp is leagues ahead.
Sorry, I missed that in your earlier post. Then there is a difference in the quality of different BDPs. I didn't look into this side of things when I bought as my av amp decodes.

As mentioned go to AVForums.com Home and post the question with your budget. There is a very helpful mod called the King of Fats on the bdp subforum.
Old 21 February 2010, 04:11 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Whilst I can "see" the BluRay is a better picture, I just don't see it taking off.......(for me anyway)
I've currently got a 42" Panny Plasma, but I'm already looking at a Samsung OLED, as the picture I viewed was jaw-dropping (running with a BDP).
I don't want loads of discs - I want streamable content. Discs are SOOOOOO 90's

(all imho, of course )

Dan
Dan, I think they have already taken off mate. Many people, me included have had them for years. A BDP player is essential if you are running a projector as at that image size the difference in picture quality is huge. I accept that is probably a small market though.

Its also not just about the picture. If you have a 5.1 system the difference in sound quality is quite significant.

I think that streaming HD films (with full HD sound) is still a little time away. Since you can get a good BDP for £100-£150, I can't see the point of NOT having one just because the technology might/will move on.
Old 21 February 2010, 11:12 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi
Was in the same boat as you not wanting to upgrade my amp and needing multi channel out.
I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD80. Apart from a fairly slow start up (don't all Bd players though) it has been fantastic through my Yamaha amp.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:44 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

LG BD390 (£250) has just won the What Hifi review
Old 27 February 2010, 11:01 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

well i looked at the Sony and didn't really like it but i got a very good deal on a Pioneer BDP-320, sadly it doesn't have multi-channel out but even with just the optical connection and my Amp taking the audio as a DTS single, it sounds lightyears ahead of my old PS3 but the real bonus was how damn good the picture quality is. Just watched UP and the imagine was like nothing i've ever seen before. Excellent!

So, now I need an Amplifier to replace my Pioneer VSX-AX3 answers on a postcard!
Old 28 February 2010, 10:15 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I picked up a Sony S360 at Xmas as Richer Sounds doing them for £80 as I have moved my PS3 upstairs now. It takes quite a while to load up the discs initially but other than that its pretty good for the money. Loving the HD sound - although the mrs werent when watching Band of Brothers last weekend

Anyone recommend some current films with decent soundtrack. Transformers 2 and Terminator Salvation were pretty impressive.

Simn
Old 28 February 2010, 11:18 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

As it doesn't have multi-channel out its no good
Since when?
I was under the impression I had 7.1 out of the HDMI connection and 5.1 from the optical?
This is on a 2008 model, do you mean something older?
Old 28 February 2010, 06:34 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
Since when?
I was under the impression I had 7.1 out of the HDMI connection and 5.1 from the optical?
This is on a 2008 model, do you mean something older?
Optical can run both 7.1 and 5.1, what it can't run is True-HD or DTS-HD as it doesn't have the bandwidth for it.

Quick Reply: Recommend me a blu-ray player.