Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Orlando

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2010, 10:11 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orlando

Anyone been? So what's it really like then?

We fancy the Marriott Harbour Lake - pirate themed pools for the kids - and near Seaworld to boot.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:26 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want for a holiday really. Plenty of things to do, friendly people blah blah blah. There are millions of threads about Orlando now though lol.

Personal choice, I prefer to stay a bit further away from the main tourist drag.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:59 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I'll do that one as well - do the kids in the theme park and then off to somewhere like South Island with a guide
Old 02 February 2010, 09:11 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

never been or likely too tbh

but I did call our 10y old son Orlando, so always love seeing it in print
Old 02 February 2010, 09:47 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I have been a few times, as a child, and with children - both lots of fun.

However taking age into consideration, the last time I went I was 22 and it was a big 'in-laws' family holiday type of thing, and the youngest was 3.

It was waaaay to much for him to handle, the pushchair came everywhere, and as he was toilet training we had to divert somewhere every hour to find a W/C somewhere. Not easy at some of the parks.

If you have the money to just get out of it what you can then great, I didn't have kids at the time, so I made the most of what I could, but I would not even consider taking mine at the moment, as I wouldn't be able to justify the money when they couldn't get all of what they could out of the holiday.

That said, I know your lo's are well traveled, and the hustle and bustle of the Disney themed hotels is lovely for youngsters. But sometimes it's good to get away from it all. That is practically impossible in a Disney hotel with the character breakfasts at the crack of dawn and screaming toddlers coming in after a looooong day at the parks.

The best thing would be a 3 week holiday, and if you can put up with the fun and excitement of the Disney hotels have two weeks there, and then a week down the coast somewhere a bit more chilled.
Alternatively, you could do 3 weeks in a private villa just a few miles out of the 'crazy' that is ORLANDO! That way you have more time to do things at a slower pace, and maybe have a few chill days.

There are some beautiful villas at competitive rates, so it all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 02 February 2010, 09:55 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Depends what you want for a holiday really. Plenty of things to do, friendly people blah blah blah. There are millions of threads about Orlando now though lol.

Personal choice, I prefer to stay a bit further away from the main tourist drag.
Do a search like Snazy said this is done every couple of months on here lol.
Old 02 February 2010, 09:58 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Parents took me to Florida when I was 8. Used to go abroad twice a year growing up: at Easter and in the October holidays, and Florida was without doubt the best out of all of the places we went! The kids will love it.

We were in Orlando the first week, going round all the theme parks, and then the keys the second week. I actually think we probably stayed in that hotel the first week... it was a Marriot in Orlando anyway. Radisson in the keys!

Trending Topics

Old 02 February 2010, 10:15 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

All good

I have connected with a friend who owns 120 villas around Orlando - so it looks like we will get nice secluded villa with a pool on the cheap. Good for rest days between the big days out.

Also someone else contacted me who can get park tickets at significantly low rates (she works as a photographer at a number of the parks).

So it looks like it might be a goer

If I could only use my airmiles for the flights it would be perfect!
Old 02 February 2010, 10:16 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

All sounds good to me. How long you looking at going for?
Old 02 February 2010, 10:25 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Two weeks - probably the end of April.

The deal is that if I suffer the whole Disney thing that I can then go off for a weeks fishign somewhere

So I may go down to the Keys for some tarpon and bonefish.
Old 02 February 2010, 10:33 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Davenport is a nice area to base yourself if you can get a place out there. Peace and quiet but on the US27 which will get you most places faster than trying to drive out of tourist central daily lol.

As for the parks, pay the extra and get Express/VIP/Fast-track passes. Makes SUCH a difference.
Airboat ride, Kennedy, Daytona (beach and raceway)
Old 02 February 2010, 10:45 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

If you didn't want to drive as far as Daytona try New Smyrna Beach Visitors Bureau Syrna beach.

If you drive down towards clearwater go over the sunshine skyway bridge. Sunshine Skyway Bridge
Old 02 February 2010, 11:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Spent quite a bit of time out there with the RAF, enjoyed it generally, full of tourists traps of course. Always had to smile at the Great Pee Dee river!

Les
Old 02 February 2010, 11:23 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if you go

a good author to read is carl hiaasen he writes quite funny books about Florida etc
Old 02 February 2010, 12:52 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Watch out for Love Bugs ( Google them ) around that time. While they don't bite, they are bloody annoying and if you'e got kids, I've seen them get freaked out. They're active for 2 weeks so could ruin your vacation.

Championsgate is a lovely area, quiet, yet only 15 mins from Disney up I4.

Rent a car. Usrentacar is good on price. Sign up for Dollar Express if you use a Dollar car. Saves up to 90 mins queing when you pick your car up.

Disney Fast Passes are free, but you pay for them at Universal.
Old 02 February 2010, 02:23 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I agree with what people have said about the passes. the fast track will make the trip to the parks a lot more pleasant. Standing about in the heat with the little ones might start to get a bit much after a few days.

As for where you stay, there are plenty of nice areas, and with sat nav you won't need to get lost somewhere similar to the Bronx, but Orlando style!

With all the traffic around there it doesn't really matter if you stay a few extra miles away, some of the parks are a lot further away from each other than you would expect anyway.

Personally when my two are older I would maybe try somewhere like this Downtown Disney Hotels, Lake Buena Vista Resorts Near Walt Disney World - Buena Vista Palace

I have heard mixed reviews about it, but mostly its a good hotel providing a good friendly service. Also it is right by the action without be too fluffed up and in our face with DISNEY starting as soon as the sun comes up.

When it was just me and the old man, the villa was great, having the chance to relax by the pool and enjoy the space of 5 bedrooms and the whole luxury etc etc.
However, in reality we spent about 15% of or non sleep time there. We were out by 8.00am and not back until late evening most days.

I think that you need to look at what you want from the vacation though, and look more into whats best for the children above anything else.

If you are a bit closer you might not need to have a car the whole time you are there, but then you are limited if you want to just up and pop to Walmart. If you have a car you get fleeced on the price of hiring child seats.

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 02 February 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02 February 2010, 03:46 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

You called your son Orlando??? Tell me where you live because i'm calling the social services.
Old 02 February 2010, 04:41 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

In no particular order...

for the family thing we will be around Orlando

car will be a definate (well probably a van with three adults and two annoying children)

read all the Carl Hiaissen books - one of my favourites - as he said, the only thing more likely to put you off going there than actually going there!

My son is called Phoenix and we have just been to a playgroup where there is a girl called Arizona - I am arranging a meeting
Old 02 February 2010, 07:03 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by Trout
In no particular order...

for the family thing we will be around Orlando

car will be a definate (well probably a van with three adults and two annoying children)

read all the Carl Hiaissen books - one of my favourites - as he said, the only thing more likely to put you off going there than actually going there!

My son is called Phoenix and we have just been to a playgroup where there is a girl called Arizona - I am arranging a meeting
Phoenix?? I thought you may have called him something fishy like Haddock
Old 02 February 2010, 09:34 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

we went last april/may, awesome holiday. we stayed in disney which was nice but really expensive for what you get. next time we will get a villa. as it was raining quite a bit ( 6 out of the first 7 days, (but only between about 2 and 4pm) and the temp was about 30 degrees so dried out quickly) the queues were pretty good, the longest we stood for was 25 mins but most things were about 10 mins (the crap weather did make the parks quieter).

i would recommend buying some ponchos froman outdoor shop here just in case, we spent a fortune on disney ones that ripped easily at 8 dollars a time.

best holiday ever and brings out the kid in everyone. book it now and have a wicked time.
Old 02 February 2010, 09:38 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Good advice about the ponchos. We were lucky as there were some in the garage for us to use.

I agree that the Disney ones are not the best quality and do rip down the seams.
Old 02 February 2010, 11:49 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the great comments - the family is sold on the idea anyway! We will make sure we get ponchos!
Old 03 February 2010, 08:09 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superstar1
Phoenix?? I thought you may have called him something fishy like Haddock
His middle name is Marlin and the other one is called Nemo
Old 03 February 2010, 09:29 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Once you mention going to Disney Land to a child, there is no going back! lol.
Old 03 February 2010, 11:26 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Originally Posted by Trout
His middle name is Marlin and the other one is called Nemo
Glad your keeping with the fish theme
Old 03 February 2010, 08:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Advice on the poncho's etc.
Walmart and Publix, dont wait til you get to the parks to get ripped off.
Same goes for fans, water, water spray fans lol and so on. $4 in Walmart - $15 in parks.

Given the choice of large SUV or van, the SUV will probably be a/ better equipped, b/ smoother drive c/ safer and believe it or not, cheaper too.
Old 03 February 2010, 08:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

We had an SUV, it was great, loads of room!

5 adults and two children fitted very comfortably with room to spare.
Old 03 February 2010, 08:08 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

lol, why not skegness or grimsby, thats a place not a name!
Old 03 February 2010, 08:53 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
We had an SUV, it was great, loads of room!

5 adults and two children fitted very comfortably with room to spare.
I had a Saturn Outlook last time, 7 seater SUV, lovely drive etc, and only a few hundred for the 2 weeks.
Old 03 February 2010, 09:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I hired a Chevvy Dayvan which made driving enjoyable. Plenty of room to take whatever you wanted out with you. Rental wasn't cheap for 3 weeks but I wouldn't do without one out there. In fact I enjoyed it so much I imported one here and kept it for 4 years using it daily.

I did a week on International drive and survived Disney then had a villa for just over 2 weeks further out. The latter coupled with the van was superb.

I, like Hodgy0_2 couldn't see myself going to Florida but was glad I did. Weather was excellent in March too, not overly hot.

Quick Reply: Orlando