Cockerpoo.

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2010, 12:49 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cockerpoo.

well,

the j4ckos mate family are getting a dog, (reluctantly on my part but im warming to the idea a little now)
j4ckos mate missus, wants one of these,
does anyone have one, or any views and or advice about them?

getting it in june after weve been away, so it wont be left on its own,
Old 01 February 2010, 12:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Have no idea about them but as an aside when I was younger and lived abroad, we had a drink called

Kickapoo

Sorry, no use to you, just the title made me laugh

Last edited by SwissTony; 01 February 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01 February 2010, 08:29 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

My Nan has just bought one, be wary, they are not a recognised pedigree but are being passed off as "proper" dogs with a price tag of around £400. These dogs are mongrols (cross breeds) and worth nowhere near that money.

You can get Cockerpoos, Cavapoos ect...

She has a "Dog" (male) and its very lively but seems nice enough, need a bit of exercise.
Old 01 February 2010, 08:46 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Just get one dog or the other, I don't like the 'trendy' interbreeding that some unscrupulous breeders are doing.

I have two standard poodles and they are great fun, but lots of hard work, so really think twice before committing.
Old 01 February 2010, 08:59 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Just get one dog or the other, I don't like the 'trendy' interbreeding that some unscrupulous breeders are doing.

I have two standard poodles and they are great fun, but lots of hard work, so really think twice before committing.
isn't interbreeding better than the inbreeding that causes the genetic abnormalities in pedigrees?
Old 01 February 2010, 09:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought she wouldnt let you **** her Poo

We have a Yorkie Poo, he is great, we paid £140 and these Hybrids are getting "Passed Off" as "Proper Dogs" as they are a "Proper Dog", it is a mongrel but the laws of commerce dictate that supply and demand sets the price, the Pedigree fraternity get sniffy about it but to be honest I just wanted a Dog and he was what came up and he was at the bargain end.

To be honest I didnt want a pedigree, had one before and she went blind at seven, cant say this one wont but our Cocker was full pedigree and had a congenital eye defect that is a common problem so mixing two separate breeds to me seems like a good way of giving a btter chance of not passing on defective genes, not foolproof but better than breeders mating generation after generation of the same genetics in the name of hitting a breed standard for showing or making money, look at King Charles Spaniels, real lottery with those these days.

We just wanted a Dog, not a trophy or anything to impress, I see them round out way, the Red Setters, Dalmations, Weimeraners etc etc, sure some are dedicated enthusiasts but a lot look like flash gits with usually a pair of big impressive dogs they cant handle but want to impress people with, never see them with old, scruffy, injured, less appealing looking dogs that type, anyone else noticed that ?

We have freinds that bought a Cocker Poo, she is lovely if a little bouncy, they paid £600, a lot of the rarer breeds are a grand plus now, Chihuahua's and Pug's are getting on for £1500, I love pugs but they have so many breathing and eye problems nowadays and have become charactures of what they were, I wonder what happens to the "Teacup" dogs, bred for handbags.

A Proper Dog to me is one that can run, jump, get muddy, run for a ball, lick their own *****, bark, fart, play fight, cheer you up, eat leftovers and live a good long life, what it looks like and whether it impresses anyone is not important.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:10 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

To be perfectly honest I don't have a clue about all the technicalities of dog breeding and I'm aware that many KC registered breeders are responsible for all the terrible inbreeding that is happening.

I've always had the same breed from the same breeder who I have the highest respect for, but many are just in it for the money and treat the animals as a commodity.

I know that the Standard Poodle club is horrified by the current trend of mixing poodles with other dogs just to create some silly named trendy hybrid.

I think all breeders should be fully licensed and vetted, that should hopefully cut down on the number of cowboys that are breeding purely for the money.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:16 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I know a couple of people that have Cockerpoo's. They're really nice dogs but they do yap a lot.
We have a rescue labradoodle and for some reason he only barks about once a week.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:18 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

if you mrs wants **** in the poo then go get your bown rings and stop fannying around on the webnet
Old 01 February 2010, 09:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Standard Poodle club are outraged are they, surely the fact that Poodles are being used is a complement ?

They can get upset if they want, its not exactly the mafia though Standard Poodles can be quite initimidating, they arent small or wimpy like some may imagine ! also, the fact that the biggest is only called Standard suggests that somewhere there are a couple of bigger options waiting in the wings, size of a Great Dane or Irish Wolfhound with a show clip would be something to behold.

I dont see it as trendy, its just a Dog and who says the existing breeds are how it should be, its like religion, because its old it doesnt mean it has to be that way or it should stay that way.

Its almost like breeds have become "brands", Staffs are Burberry, Poodles a bit Yve St Laurent and anything with a bit of Poodle in it a perfectly acceptable quality market knock off, our dog is a scruffy little mongrel, what we wanted, in the past we would have said he is a little bit Yorkie with some Poodle, not its a Yorkie-Poo, just branding, no more no less.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
I know a couple of people that have Cockerpoo's. They're really nice dogs but they do yap a lot.
We have a rescue labradoodle and for some reason he only barks about once a week.
That will be the same with J4ckos mates dog, to be honest with him, its going to struggle getting a word in edgeways....
Old 01 February 2010, 09:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Trendy, Moi ?

Old 01 February 2010, 09:33 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

They are called Standard poodles due to being the base model, no sunroof, alloy wheels etc.

Yes, they can be large, one of mine is 47 kilo's and looks like a curly Rottweiler.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

If Porsche decide to breed them they will sell one more expensive but even more basic and call it a Poodle Club Sport.

I think everyone expects Poodles to have a poncy haircut, they look fairly conventional without, I don't expect you will be ever going that route will you ?
Old 01 February 2010, 09:45 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt have a pedigree dog, they do have inbred problems it seems to me, or a lot certainly do, we had a mongrel when we were kids lived till he was 15,

she has set her heart on one, we have seen one dog from a previous litter, i dont like them but it is quite nice, sort of champagne colour with dark ears.

this looks just like it

i must admit iam quite smitten myself

my daughter is beside herself,

the exercise will be a great bonus for us as well, infact there are lots of country parks near me .

we are looking forward to good long walk with sandwiches etc at the weekends.

what happens now is she go's to her mums for most of the day or go's shopping despite the fact she is off on mondays anyway, and when she gets back i go for a few beers with me neighbours go out 4 pm and stay till last orders. and no good ever came of staying in the alehouse all day especially with young kids

so in a strange sort of a way, im hoping it will bring us all together more often.
the iseal plan is a good walk around sale water park or hayfield ot tatton or dunham or somewhere and then perhaps a pint then come home.
Old 01 February 2010, 09:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I just take the Dog to the boozer !

Sod the rest of them, me and my little farty dog sat drinking a pint on my own, i am turning into one of those old blokes with a Dog in the pub. Besides, its your turn to come over this way for a pint, Friday ?
Old 01 February 2010, 10:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
We have a Yorkie Poo, he is great, we paid £140 and these Hybrids are getting "Passed Off" as "Proper Dogs" as they are a "Proper Dog", it is a mongrel but the laws of commerce dictate that supply and demand sets the price, the Pedigree fraternity get sniffy about it but to be honest I just wanted a Dog and he was what came up and he was at the bargain end.

To be honest I didnt want a pedigree, had one before and she went blind at seven, cant say this one wont but our Cocker was full pedigree and had a congenital eye defect that is a common problem so mixing two separate breeds to me seems like a good way of giving a btter chance of not passing on defective genes, not foolproof but better than breeders mating generation after generation of the same genetics in the name of hitting a breed standard for showing or making money, look at King Charles Spaniels, real lottery with those these days.

We just wanted a Dog, not a trophy or anything to impress, I see them round out way, the Red Setters, Dalmations, Weimeraners etc etc, sure some are dedicated enthusiasts but a lot look like flash gits with usually a pair of big impressive dogs they cant handle but want to impress people with, never see them with old, scruffy, injured, less appealing looking dogs that type, anyone else noticed that ?

We have freinds that bought a Cocker Poo, she is lovely if a little bouncy, they paid £600, a lot of the rarer breeds are a grand plus now, Chihuahua's and Pug's are getting on for £1500, I love pugs but they have so many breathing and eye problems nowadays and have become charactures of what they were, I wonder what happens to the "Teacup" dogs, bred for handbags.

A Proper Dog to me is one that can run, jump, get muddy, run for a ball, lick their own *****, bark, fart, play fight, cheer you up, eat leftovers and live a good long life, what it looks like and whether it impresses anyone is not important.
Pedigree dogs have their problems too but anybody with dog knowledge wouldn't buy a unproven mix of breeds, just the same as you wouldn't buy a cut and shut car and be surprised it breaks in half on a fast corner. It isn't about being 'sniffy' as you put it but being sensible and fair on a dog.

To anybody with dog knowledge, they are not proper dog breed, they are a unknown quantity bred for fashion and to cater for those that know no better. They aren't a trophy dog but more akin to having a pair of character socks.

Anybody that pays £600 for a Cocker Poo needs therapy. For that money and a bit of decent research on proper bloodlines you could get a dog without the 'please, please everybody look at me now' image accessory.

They are a trendy take up on mixing 2 perfectly acceptable breeds in their own right to make the potential owners think they can impress others with the bóllocks the usually less than desirable breeders spout out.

Unfortunately as they become more and more common the names won't even be noticed and it'll be time for the next fad. I hope all the mixes live like intended and don't die early of something as yet unknown. We can only wait and see.

Your definition of a proper dogs characteristics is spot on though. Lets hope a 'mutant' can do all of those withing shedding it's legs or farting it's ring out, time will tell.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:19 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The only thing looking at a puppy from a previous litter is that with a cross breed there is no idea what the puppy will actually look like when it grows up as it could take after either parent or be a mix of both.

At the end of the day get what ever dog your family want and enjoy it though i would recommend you take it to training classes every week.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:41 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

we are not getting one because its trendy, im not even sure it is too be honest, and as previous poster just said, it could look like anything at all when its here so it may not have the desired colouring or height or looks of one anyway.

we are getting one cos the ones she has seen she likes, they arent too big or too small, both appear good with kids and will suit us,
honestly mate if you new me trendy is the last thing i am imagine a cross between a fat martin clunes and roy cropper, thats me.

she did mention getting it trained thery do it at the village hall.

i have a fair diea myself what to do, that mexican bloke is always on in here and dog borstal is as well.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:48 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Pedigree dogs have their problems too but anybody with dog knowledge wouldn't buy a unproven mix of breeds, just the same as you wouldn't buy a cut and shut car and be surprised it breaks in half on a fast corner. It isn't about being 'sniffy' as you put it but being sensible and fair on a dog.

To anybody with dog knowledge, they are not proper dog breed, they are a unknown quantity bred for fashion and to cater for those that know no better. They aren't a trophy dog but more akin to having a pair of character socks.

Anybody that pays £600 for a Cocker Poo needs therapy. For that money and a bit of decent research on proper bloodlines you could get a dog without the 'please, please everybody look at me now' image accessory.

They are a trendy take up on mixing 2 perfectly acceptable breeds in their own right to make the potential owners think they can impress others with the bóllocks the usually less than desirable breeders spout out.

Unfortunately as they become more and more common the names won't even be noticed and it'll be time for the next fad. I hope all the mixes live like intended and don't die early of something as yet unknown. We can only wait and see.

Your definition of a proper dogs characteristics is spot on though. Lets hope a 'mutant' can do all of those withing shedding it's legs or farting it's ring out, time will tell.
What I would have said if I could string a sentance together.
Old 01 February 2010, 10:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Mutant ?

I am sure anyone of mixed race wouldnt appreciate that but thats a similar concept, we arent trying to cross a Cat with a Dog here, its not genetic engineering, its two Dogs doing what comes natrually.As for unproven, people have had Mutt's, Mongrels, Crossbreeds or Hybrids since Dogs were domesticated, we only have breeds because dogs have been bred for specific traits initially and then for a particular look , otherwise it would just be an infinite variety of shapes and sizes, possibly just ending up pretty much looking all the same.

I agree six hundred quid is a bit strong for a Mongrel but the lady did her research and that is what she wanted, the dog is a family dog not a fashion accessory as far as I can tell, ours certainly isnt and the Poodle crosses have been around a fair while now and I am guessing before the Something-Poo phase people had things that were half Poodle.

I think if I were trying to impress with a Dog I wouldnt buy a mongrel, probably something big and noble looking, not a little ratty thing with a 1980's footballers perm. I dont think the Pedigree fraternity like the idea that people want something different after hundreds of years of breeding to get to standard but I think the Show Dog thing is on the wane, Crufts got binned

Ours seems to be doing ok, ringpiece still present, very engaging little Dog for a Cut and Shut, you cant see the join, made our friends Westie of the same age look slow and clumsy the other day, he seems trainable, intelligent, friendly with people and other Dogs and playful.

Some reading,

Heterosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01 February 2010, 11:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
we are getting one cos the ones she has seen she likes, they arent too big or too small, both appear good with kids and will suit us,
honestly mate if you new me trendy is the last thing i am imagine a cross between a fat martin clunes and roy cropper, thats me.
With all fairness though getting a animal because it is one that looks nice to her over the importance of breed and history isn't the ideal approach. There are plenty of proven breeds that fit your size criteria without lining the pockets of the money generators.

That said, the particular dog you have in mind might, and I hope live, a great life.
Old 01 February 2010, 11:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We didnt set out looking for a Yorkie-Poo, we just heard about some puppies available on a local farm (not a puppy farm) advertised in the Farmers Guardian and my sister in law gave us the number, had it been Jack Russell's we would have had one or any other small/medium Dog of a breed I consider hardy, not a King Charles after my mates two died of heart atacks aged seven and eight, not another Cocker as our last one went blind and deaf aged 8 yet the mongrels in the family just got older and slower and didnt self destruct in an upsetting and expensive manner. The inlaws Retreiver has been a nightmare since they got her, constant barking, skin complaints, stopping eating, now on her way out with a brain tumour aged ten.
Old 01 February 2010, 11:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I am sure anyone of mixed race wouldnt appreciate that but thats a similar concept
I talk about these subjects on an almost daily basis worldwide with top breeders/trainers and your statement is going to be on top of the agenda tomorrow.

There are absolutely no similarities at all. Humans don't have the diverse breed traits that dogs have. Mixing 2 humans isn't the same as mixing 2 breeds genetics.

Show dog owners are as bad as concours car owners and should wane into oblivion.
Old 01 February 2010, 11:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

With all fairness though getting a animal because it is one that looks nice to her over the importance of breed and history isn't the ideal approach. There are plenty of proven breeds that fit your size criteria without lining the pockets of the money generators.

That said, the particular dog you have in mind might, and I hope live, a great life.
You have to find it appealing to a certain point but mainly its down to personality, even English Bull Terriers must appeal to somebody despite being ugly buggers.

As for money generators, its supply and demand and the Pedigree breeders can be as mercenary and people will move into where the money is, breeders can still be responsible and make money whatever they breed, doubt ours presnted much profit at £140, probably covered her costs and time but I dont think ours was from a planned breeding, I think her Poodle got at the farm Yorkie which to me looked more like a Jack Russell anyway.

I would rather take my chances with two compatiable breeds as a hybrid than two closely related indvidual animals, I dont think anything should be bred because it was a novelty, i.e. a tiny dog with a massive one but if it makes reasoble sense, i.e. not a Pug and a Bulldog which may propogate and make worse the similar breathing problems those breeds have then I dont see the problem.

Incest is illegal for humans, apart from being taboo there are good reasons behind it, but it seems to be acceptable in the canine world and certain breeds are just a mess, bred to amuse or compete and have ended up as a parody of what they were, we dont tend to interbreed as stuff like this happens,

BBC NEWS | UK | Birth defects warning sparks row

or this

Old 01 February 2010, 11:25 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

We didnt set out looking for a Yorkie-Poo, we just heard about some puppies available on a local farm (not a puppy farm) advertised in the Farmers Guardian and my sister in law gave us the number, had it been Jack Russell's we would have had one or any other small/medium Dog of a breed I consider hardy, not a King Charles after my mates two died of heart atacks aged seven and eight, not another Cocker as our last one went blind and deaf aged 8 yet the mongrels in the family just got older and slower and didnt self destruct in an upsetting and expensive manner. The inlaws Retreiver has been a nightmare since they got her, constant barking, skin complaints, stopping eating, now on her way out with a brain tumour aged ten.
I did read your report when you posted it. If your dog is happy and having a ball then great, you have given a dog a good home. I hope is health is second to none.

My point is you and lots of people who look for dogs do so on the basis they want a dog. As somebody who brokers hundreds of dogs a year I deal with those that want to buy a particular breed followed by a particular bloodline and possible working titles then sex, age, colour...

Their importance on the right dog is on the same level as buying the right home, car or holiday or in some cases, more important. It is just a different approach that's all to what is essentially a very important addition to the family.
Old 01 February 2010, 11:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I talk about these subjects on an almost daily basis worldwide with top breeders/trainers and your statement is going to be on top of the agenda tomorrow.

There are absolutely no similarities at all. Humans don't have the diverse breed traits that dogs have. Mixing 2 humans isn't the same as mixing 2 breeds genetics.

Show dog owners are as bad as concours car owners and should wane into oblivion.
I would say we are quite a varied species (You havent met me and J4ckos mate have you ), so I don't think the comparison is that far fetched, same for any animal from the same evolutionary branch that can breed and produce offspring, humans arent bred for a breed standard though Hitler had a go but if people were put together like that you would see the diversity same as in Dogs, if you bred short people with bulgy eyes and a big domed head over a few generations you could create a human King Charles Spaniel approximation but as we have choice we select partners on various criteria but natrual selection is in there, I didnt marry my wife because she had big ears and curly hair like me to make my kids look like me, they look like a hybrid of the two of us.

Thats said the Corgi, German Sheperd cross near my grandma's was not a success, kind of looked like a small Alsation on Corgi legs, always waiting for it to stand up.
Old 02 February 2010, 08:55 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Trendy, Moi ?

awwwww, how cute is that
Old 02 February 2010, 10:16 AM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

well we bought a designer mongrel about 6 months ago,im not a dog lover and it was more for the wife and kids,its a shi-poo which is a cross between a shihtzu and a toypoodle,i must admit that ive really warmed to having a dog,shes very healthy non moulting with a lovelly temperament.im still not sure she was worth £400 but thats the going rate,ours was the only black one in the litter and the owner reckoned that everyone who viewed the pups wanted ours.
two people who i know who have bought pedigrees in the last year have had lots of health issues with them so i think the inbreeding problems are true.

heres poppy at 6 weeks

heres where we got her from loads of different breed combinations here and a decent place.

www.pupsrus.co.uk
Old 02 February 2010, 11:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We are all for having a pet here. If we went for a dog it would be a mongrel of some kind, dont like the idea of all the inbreeding with pedigree creatures. Always seems to me that it could lead to problems.

We love our big cat who is a real character and is a cross between a Maine Coon and something else!

Les