Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fish tank adventures ..

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2010, 10:26 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fish tank adventures ..

OK, so following on from my thread about the fish dying and the water test coming back as perfect I've decided to get another tank and start over.

I still have a couple of fish left but I've wanted to upgrade a while so, this is my chance.

https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/...ank-stand.html

I need to find myself a bigger tank first off, then I was hoping we could set it up together

I'll post the pics stage by stage and you lot tell me what to do, to make the perfect setting for my fish.

I've had tropical fish 2 years now and only just lost some, so I'm not too bad at looking after them ..

Anyone suggest somewhere for me to get a nice big tank with a stand for a "nice" price .. or free
Old 17 January 2010, 12:03 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't you at least learn the basics if you're going to be looking after living creatures? Your filter error was the most basic of basic errors and if there was such thing as a fish Social Services then your remaining fish would be in care now.

Ignorance is absolutely no defence.
Old 17 January 2010, 12:46 PM
vince-sti02
Scooby Regular

try local papers, free papers and if desperate e-bay there are some bargains to be had.
I picked up a 5 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot for 300 quid e-bay, actual retail price was £1800 with all the equipment i got in the deal now set up with 4 small fish in ha ha ...

plenty of support here if you need it just ask..

will get round to posting some picks up later if your interested..
Old 17 January 2010, 12:52 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Spoon you mention Social fish services please tell us more about that service.

Ignorance is absolutely Free
Old 17 January 2010, 01:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
Spoon you mention Social fish services please tell us more about that service.

Ignorance is absolutely Free
Mentioned in the 'if' sense, Jamie. Though feel free to do a search to entertain yourself.

The consequences of ignorance aren't often free though.
Old 17 January 2010, 01:49 PM
flosswel
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Spoon
Shouldn't you at least learn the basics if you're going to be looking after living creatures? Your filter error was the most basic of basic errors and if there was such thing as a fish Social Services then your remaining fish would be in care now.

Ignorance is absolutely no defence.

RSPCA???
Old 17 January 2010, 06:13 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

OK, I went to Water world and bought a water test kit ..

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH levels are all excellent.

The bacteria from the original filter would have died according the the fish man, so whatever is killing my fish isn't to do with the water quality...

edit:

Just noticed the quote above, advice was given by the local pet shop, my assumption being they would know.. established tank, swapping filter will be fine .. I'm not sure thats the problem though as the water is perfect, that's a test by two different shops and now my Interpet Easy Test kit ..

Last edited by pimmo2000; 17 January 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2010, 06:51 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

In one sense having a big tank is a good idea - larger volume of water, bad things regarding water quality happen more slowly. There are a few other things to factor in;

Buy two external power filters, I can recommend Eheim 2217 - don't go cheap in this area, noisy filters will drive you mad, don't buy cheap unbranded stuff, if it fails you will stuggle to get parts for it. Eheim kit is well supported and parts are widely available. Even if one filter will run your tank you want two for redundancy.

Same approach with heating elements - buy two 500W units, and install them both. They are on independent thermostats so can both run in parallel. Again don't go for cheap unbranded stuff, I have seen the thermostat fail in the on position with these. I am not a fan of filters with integrated heaters, I like component parts to be single units which are easily replaced in the event of a failure.

Don't buy a cheap tank either - these look ok when empty, but once filled with water, if the glass is not glass with a low refractive index, it will distort how your fish look. Having said that, bargains can be had, but check carefully that the glass has not been scratched, and that the tank sealant is intact.

Buy some test kits - Ammonia, Nitrate and PH as a minimum, learn what these parameters mean, how to use the test kits, and most importantly how to prevent or correct changes in water chemistry.
Old 17 January 2010, 07:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Good Stuff .. thanks
Old 17 January 2010, 09:13 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

where are you based mate as i may be able to help you out with the fillters if you need i got two big 1250ltr each per hr external fillter you can have for free they need new media putting in them but other than that they are as good as new

pm me if these would help also got loads of nice bog wood you can have
Old 17 January 2010, 09:22 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

PM sent mate, that would be excellent ..
Old 17 January 2010, 09:32 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

pm sent back i think let me know i you get the pm mate
Old 17 January 2010, 09:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Awesomenessness
Old 17 January 2010, 09:38 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

no probs mate think i got the pm's sussed now
Old 17 January 2010, 10:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Hi Pimmo, try e bay!

Our 300 L tank was from a couple in Chesterfield, so being in Wolves it was a bit of a jaunt. The couple used to own a pub and they had this tank running sweet, but when they sold the pub, they has to move. They gave all the fish away, and put that tank in storage aka, their loft!

We bought it at a steal £120 and it's Juwel Rio 300, we had a filter and a ruddy great big bag full of all cleaning aids and all sorts!

We had to hire a van to go and get it, but it made for a fun trip without the kids for a few hours!

Anyway, if you really want a nice tank, you get what you pay for. We were just lucky.

Glad to see you have a water test kit, best to do regular tests to go with a 'prevention is better than a cure' attitude. Also when you do find you tank, have a think about what you are going to do with regards to real/fake plants, as it's easier to get the real ones in while setting it up and cycling it.

The best piece of advice I can give is... be patient! It took us approx 7 or 8 weeks to cycle our tank and get the levels 100% ready for the fish.

What have you been using for your water changes? I have found out an old beer brewing bucket that holds 30 L. I find that three of those (30% water change) every 9th day is working well.
Old 17 January 2010, 10:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I've got a bucket I use just for the water change, but I'm not making plans for planets etc or fish as I want to build up very slowly learning from the people in the know.

I've heard Juwel is an excellent make and I'll keep looking till I find a tank that suits

Thanks
Old 17 January 2010, 10:25 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

you also need to work out what your gonna use in tank IE: gravel or sand i preferd sand as felt it was better for live plants and the plecs but do find it a lot harder to vac all the poo up
Old 17 January 2010, 10:29 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

The reason I asked about the plants is that they can effect the water, they are good for the fish as they help add a natural boost to the tank, so if you were thinking of putting them in, it's easier to do it from the start.

To be honest Pimmo, you need to get a good book and read it and make notes. The net is good for tips, but you will never give it 100% attention.

It is no good expecting people on here to tell you what to do, they will be your fish, and you will be responsible for their health and wellbeing. Of course, the good people of NSR will be more than willing to 'help' you with our advice.....

BUT we found a lot of advice conflicted and differed greatly, and what has worked for some people when cycling a new tank, hasn't worked for others.

I am by no means an expert in fish keeping, but we have set up our tank from scratch, cycled it (without fish using ammonia) and transfered the fish from our old tank, and it has all gone smoothly. No fatalities and we now have 8 happy and healthy fish, as well as a few snails!

I will have to try and get some pics on here when the light is on tomorrow.

You need to get in the know and make sure that you know your stuff.
Old 17 January 2010, 10:32 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
you also need to work out what your gonna use in tank IE: gravel or sand i preferd sand as felt it was better for live plants and the plecs but do find it a lot harder to vac all the poo up
I bet the sand looks great! We have black gravel, and we have this great vac that suck all the poop up, but leaves the gravel. The plants are thriving well in the gravel, and they are not too deep.

I can't have any plecs yet, as we still have the ceramic media from the bi orb in there, and I know for a fact that plecs will rip themselves to bits on it.
Old 17 January 2010, 10:39 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

agree with above but i found all the reading and checking out i done did'nt really mean owt as you say i found out that what other people said did'nt work for me it all seemed trial and error and sort of found my own way of doing things yes basic water testing helped when i started out but now only test water if i think theres a problem not ever other day,do agree and think live plant are a good help (if the plecs do'nt rip them apart ) found out its also helpfull to keep a couple of oto's in the takl aswell they really do help to keep the algae at bay
Old 17 January 2010, 10:43 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

pics not that clear on the sand but as you can see the plants do well in it
Old 18 January 2010, 06:52 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
The reason I asked about the plants is that they can effect the water, they are good for the fish as they help add a natural boost to the tank, so if you were thinking of putting them in, it's easier to do it from the start.

To be honest Pimmo, you need to get a good book and read it and make notes. The net is good for tips, but you will never give it 100% attention.

It is no good expecting people on here to tell you what to do, they will be your fish, and you will be responsible for their health and wellbeing. Of course, the good people of NSR will be more than willing to 'help' you with our advice.....

BUT we found a lot of advice conflicted and differed greatly, and what has worked for some people when cycling a new tank, hasn't worked for others.

I am by no means an expert in fish keeping, but we have set up our tank from scratch, cycled it (without fish using ammonia) and transfered the fish from our old tank, and it has all gone smoothly. No fatalities and we now have 8 happy and healthy fish, as well as a few snails!

I will have to try and get some pics on here when the light is on tomorrow.

You need to get in the know and make sure that you know your stuff.
To be honest I'm not looking for everything, I've kept them happy and healthy for two years so I'm confident I can manage.

If I can get tips like I've been getting then it only looks to improve my tank and my knowledge .
Old 18 January 2010, 09:52 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
To be honest I'm not looking for everything, I've kept them happy and healthy for two years so I'm confident I can manage.

If I can get tips like I've been getting then it only looks to improve my tank and my knowledge .
Don't take me the wrong way I was only trying to help. Like it has been said there is a lot of conflicting advice and tanks seem to do as they please, like b road blaster said, you can do all the research you like, but at the end of the day, it is trial and error.

Good luck, and when you get started, get the pics on keeping us updated.
Old 18 January 2010, 10:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Don't take me the wrong way I was only trying to help. Like it has been said there is a lot of conflicting advice and tanks seem to do as they please, like b road blaster said, you can do all the research you like, but at the end of the day, it is trial and error.

Good luck, and when you get started, get the pics on keeping us updated.

I read your message as supportive .. you're one of the most helpful people I've ever spoken to online..

I like the idea of posting the thoughts and ideas as people can offer opinions and rather than take some "expert" at their word, we can mix the ideas and situations different people have.
Old 18 January 2010, 02:37 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Good idea Pimmo.

I hope Pimmo Jr likes the new tank!
Old 18 January 2010, 02:54 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

He loves the fish, but I want more colour and light so he can see more of them ...

All this needs to be thought out once I find a suitable tank
Old 18 January 2010, 02:59 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I would do 10% weekly water changes as I think its better to take less water more frequently out then a lot of water out every 2 weeks.

Plants are a good idea as they oxygenate the water and contribute to maintaining a balanced water chemistry.

Once the tank has cycled you are probably best putting some hardy fish in first for a while then over a few months you can add less hardy fish as the tank will be fully mature.

You can use hardy fish to cycle the tank but can be a bit cruel as the fish still suffer slightly. A good way is meant to be dropping a frozen shrimp in the tank to start the cycle.
Old 18 January 2010, 03:00 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I am sure it will be great, he will enjoy helping you pick out all the new fish.

One thing that might be good to research is how the different types of fish get on. Some will tolerate others being around, some don't care, yet others will be down right evil!

You might already know that, but some people just assume all tropical fish get on, all freshwater etc.
Old 18 January 2010, 03:59 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My tank. If the link works?!

Old 18 January 2010, 04:09 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Heres mine. Not tropical though

Quick Reply: Fish tank adventures ..