Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unauthorised Paypal transaction - anyone had this?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2010, 01:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Unauthorised Paypal transaction - anyone had this?

Got an email from paypal saying my acount had been restricted due to them suspecting a 3rd party had used my account.

Went to the website and had to enter new passwords and questions which I was a bit nervous about. When I got to account history there were two transactions on 8th Jan for a couple of dollars and 30 dollars.

Started a Paypal dispute and called them. They said it was someone hacking my account or a website phishing for my details.

Now the money hasn't been taken out of my account but its now made me very nervous about having my bank account linked to paypal.

I'm changing the linked bank account to one I don't use and the credit card linked to paypal I only use for online purchases. Its the bank account that is the big worry.

Anyone had this happen to them - should I worry anymore? I actually don't mind using paypal but this is the first time something nasty has happened.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just click on the link in the e-mail and enter all your security details!!

Seriously though I have the same concerns, I only link my credit card to PayPal as I think you get more protection from a CC company.

Old 14 January 2010, 01:46 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I think you have just been phished!

If you get any email from anybody with a link asking for details do not click the link.

Enter the URL yourself in your browser just for super safety.

I would go to Paypal.com and reset your password as a minimum.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:48 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, sounds like a scam, I get them all them all the time from 'PayPal'.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:50 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Get paypal to close down your old account & open a new one. I'm fine with them having my bank details albeit wouldn't click a link & re-enter them as you've done. Best to ignore anything like that but go to their website & open your account as normal if you're worried. I get email from Halifax, Barclays etc all the time telling me that there is a problem & I need to click the link urgently just hit delete.

TX.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Log on to the genuine Paypal site ASAP and try and retrieve your account changing the password immediatly.

As other have said NEVER click links in emails, especially when the email starts with something like Dear Paypal Customer...
Old 14 January 2010, 01:52 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EddScott
Got an email from paypal saying my acount had been restricted due to them suspecting a 3rd party had used my account.

Went to the website and had to enter new passwords and questions which I was a bit nervous about. When I got to account history there were two transactions on 8th Jan for a couple of dollars and 30 dollars.

Started a Paypal dispute and called them. They said it was someone hacking my account or a website phishing for my details.

Now the money hasn't been taken out of my account but its now made me very nervous about having my bank account linked to paypal.

I'm changing the linked bank account to one I don't use and the credit card linked to paypal I only use for online purchases. Its the bank account that is the big worry.

Anyone had this happen to them - should I worry anymore? I actually don't mind using paypal but this is the first time something nasty has happened.
Yes - and to an email address which is not linked to any paypal account.

The email you received is a scam

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2010, 02:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Paypal will always start their emails with:

Hello < name of user >

Plus they would only send to the email address associated with the account. As others have said, for safety, always type in the url (or use a bookmark to the known paypal site) for the site and login via that.
Old 14 January 2010, 03:07 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Words fail me.
Old 14 January 2010, 03:20 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

The OP didn't say he 'followed the link', he said he 'went to the website'

Old 14 January 2010, 03:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanley
The OP didn't say he 'followed the link', he said he 'went to the website'

When I read the email I did check to see if it had a link. IF there was a link on the email I would have just deleted it as its abviously a scam.

I read the email, then went to the paypal site - seperate to the email.

Someone has picked up my log in details and used my account to make two purchases (albiet small ones). The transactions were stopped by paypal but that isn't the point (as I said to the foreign woman at paypal) The fact that my details have been lifted from one of the PCs I use to access either ebay or paypal (1 work, 1 home and 1 laptop)

I have added the new bank account that we don't use but because of this dodgy transaction I can't delete the current account just yet.

Bit concerned because I'm about to get a shed load of money to buy a business and don't fancy it whistling off to Uganda.

EDIT - just had a look at the website given as what I'm supposed to have been buying its a farking Second Life online shop!!!!

2n EDIT - the f*cking money HAS been taken out my account!!

Last edited by EddScott; 14 January 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 14 January 2010, 06:44 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

The Mrs had this last week, Someone took £10 from here account and set up a monthly direct debit.
Paypal emailed her and she got the money back. Its fairly common according to paypal but they will resolve it for you.
Old 14 January 2010, 10:21 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

I'm amazed at the number of people who automatically assumed that the OP had got a scam email and clicked on a link. I just wonder how many of you would have just deleted the email and not realised that you had a genuine problem until the next time you tried to use Paypal.

Yes you do have to be careful but in some cases this means reading the contents of emails (and OP posts) rather than just assuming the worst.
Old 15 January 2010, 01:22 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Well if the OP had been clearer

TX.