Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

calling the gym lads

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2010, 10:12 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calling the gym lads

My son wants to put on some weight he has joined the local gym and has lads at collage saying take this and that, some of it probably a bit dodgey he is also looking at creatine ? im not sure on all this as i havent been in a gym for a few years
can anyone help any tips ?
Old 13 January 2010, 10:15 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

A good old fashioned workout is all thats required, no short cuts!
I've never bothered with any suppliments, waste of money imo.
Good work out with the correct diet works as well.

Nik.

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
My son wants to put on some weight he has joined the local gym and has lads at collage saying take this and that, some of it probably a bit dodgey he is also looking at creatine ? im not sure on all this as i havent been in a gym for a few years
Old 13 January 2010, 10:20 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on what Nik says.

Balance the workout, balance the diet, treat yourself every now and then (Chocolate/ Chinese/ Beer/ etc.) There are no shortcuts, workout well and then allow the body to recover, keep hydrated and eat well after the workout.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:21 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Craeatine is fine mate perfectly legal and safe just makes you hold a little water and ups your strenghth slightly. Just buy a basic protein shake for after workouts and add a couple through the day if he finds it hard to add weight
Old 13 January 2010, 10:23 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

cheers anyway nik but he has got his head set on taking somthing so would like advice on the good stuff
Old 13 January 2010, 10:28 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

How old is your son? He'll probably put on weight\bulk pretty quickly just with doing some good training. Make sure he gets somebody to show him what to do and explain the whys and wherefores to good technique. If he's like most lads 18-20 he'll be eating loads anyway but to bulk it's a case of plenty of calories. Forget the supplements until he knows what he's doing.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:30 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

simple way to gain weight is to up calories, things like peanut butter in a protein shake will add calories, eat more often (but smaller meals)

Trending Topics

Old 13 January 2010, 10:31 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

cheers anyway nik but he has got his head set on taking somthing so would like advice on the good stuff
You need to get him to understand why he feels he needs to take something. If he's looking for a quick fix he's doomed to fail no matter what. check out myprotein if he must get some supliments and get the basic whey formula. Will just ensure he's getting enough protein but he should be able to do that with his normal diet. It's your job to educate him so do so. If he doesn't listen then that's his choice.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:36 PM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

CNP pro mass is a good protein, gainer. Alot of people will say protein supplements will do no good, i hear it every day down the gym but after a workout muscle needs protein fact, and if you dont feed it that it will just take it from whats already in your body and he will get nowhere realy. Creatiene is ok, used it for a while myself dureing workouts in my drink, but better off spending your money on a decent protein. Have one in the morn and one after a workout and as said above get a decent diet worked out and allow treats at the weekend. Has he got someone to train with? this will also help as if he wants to build muscle he will be wanting to lift lower reps of heavy weights so always good to have someone there to spot you, and push you that little bit more. Most important thing in the gym is to lift it right before he starts trying to lift it heavy. Get the technique right, the strength will follow. Takes time, doesnt come over night but if he gets into a good routein, sticks with it then the rewards will be great. Tell him to check this site out.
MuscleTalk UK Bodybuilding Forum
Should find everything you need to know on there
Old 13 January 2010, 10:37 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You need to get him to understand why he feels he needs to take something. If he's looking for a quick fix he's doomed to fail no matter what. check out myprotein if he must get some supliments and get the basic whey formula. Will just ensure he's getting enough protein but he should be able to do that with his normal diet. It's your job to educate him so do so. If he doesn't listen then that's his choice.
I know its my job thats why im asking advice to point him in the rite direction

he is 17 six foot three and about 11 stone
he will be reading this when theres enough posts i will tell him to have a look threw

cheers for all advice upto now
Old 13 January 2010, 10:47 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Sorry not having a go but challenge his perception that he needs to 'take something' . At 17 he's still growing so he needs to ensure he knows the relevant techniques of the different lifts. See so many people putting strain on themselves but often when young get away with it. He'd be better spent having a few PT sessions and getting a program tailored to him than throwing a lot of supliments down his neck. He'll get stronger and bigger far quicker that way.

If he's interested a lot of younger lads are looking at calisthenics these days and getting very good results.

YouTube - InciteFitness's Channel

This sort of thing.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:51 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

if he is just wanting to be a so called part timer like what you see down at the gym,who has been training for years and never put any size on,then i would agree with the above statments of dont take any supliments and he'll do just fine.if he wants to do it the proper way and gain some quality muscle mass then you need to be taking some suppliments.by suppliments i dont mean bang loads of steroids in,i mean add atleast two or three good quality protein shakes in per day with his diet.to gain good size he needs to be upping the amount of protein and carbohydates he takes in per day and you carnt always get time with work and such to do that.so thats where suppliments such as protein shakes,bars come in as they are quick and handy.then he needs someone who is going to push him when he is down the gym,and progressivly add more weight to his sets as he gets more into it.thats my opinion anyway.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:34 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

I would suggest the only thing he requires if he is looking to pack on bulk is a proper Diet, protein shakes and a well worked plan!

The protein shakes only need to be taken 30minutes before the workout and within 10minutes of finishing the workout, have a look at Drinks

Tis stuff is very good and bargain box, he doesn't need to take anything else!

He needs to explain to an instructor exactly what it is he is wanting to ge tout of going to the gym, how often he will be going and duration (not hours and hours)

Explain that he has to do CV as well, not a great deal but he has to do it never the less, all good and well having muscle but if it's covered in Fat he's just gonna loko blobby!
Old 14 January 2010, 03:34 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Nothing other than wholesome foods needed, and have proven that myself. muscletalk.co.uk is a good forum to learn.
Old 14 January 2010, 03:46 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

a good workout 3 times a week with some cardio and weight work,eat properly with lots of carbs etc is all thats needed at first.once hes fit then up the weights and drop the reps to build up on size.thats all i do and i have the best trainers in the world....the british army and their looney pti's.
get him to check out the british army website and look at the fitness part.gives him everything he needs to know without having to use supplements etc.(if you eat right then why do you need suppliments???)
Old 14 January 2010, 04:59 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Bodybuilding.com - Beginning Bodybuilding: A Comprehensive Guide! - Jim Brewster

This and the bodybuilding.com site has everything he needs.

Protein shakes / supplements are a great way of getting a protein source into the body quickly and easily. A 12 stone man needs around 200g of protein a day to get good growth - divided over 5 small-ish meals - and thats a lot of tuna or chicken to wade through food-wise - so a shake is a great way of taking the protein in quickly and easily.
Old 14 January 2010, 08:18 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Bodybuilding.com - Beginning Bodybuilding: A Comprehensive Guide! - Jim Brewster

This and the bodybuilding.com site has everything he needs.

Protein shakes / supplements are a great way of getting a protein source into the body quickly and easily. A 12 stone man needs around 200g of protein a day to get good growth - divided over 5 small-ish meals - and thats a lot of tuna or chicken to wade through food-wise - so a shake is a great way of taking the protein in quickly and easily.
this is the best advice yet.i think most people are getting mixed up with what the first post was actually about,and that was to gain size,ie muscle mass.